PDA

View Full Version : Does God hold some to a higher standard than others?

Fig-bearing Thistle
10-04-2009, 09:33 AM
LDS scriptures state

For of him unto whom much is given much is required; and he who sins against the greater light shall receive the greater condemnation. (D&C 82:3)

Do you believe that is true or not?

I found this article (http://abcnews.go.com/Health/MindMoodNews/congregation-embraces-transgender-minister-larger-church-rift/story?id=8706416) and thought it interesting in light of the topic.

Do think God holds men (or women) of the cloth to a higher standard of conduct than others? Does God hold the leaders of his church to a higher standard than those who aren't leaders in his church?

Russ
10-04-2009, 09:41 AM
LDS scriptures state

For of him unto whom much is given much is required; and he who sins against the greater light shall receive the greater condemnation. (D&C 82:3)

I found this article (http://abcnews.go.com/Health/MindMoodNews/congregation-embraces-transgender-minister-larger-church-rift/story?id=8706416) and thought it interesting in light of the topic.

Do think God holds men (or women) of the cloth to a higher standard of conduct than others? Does God hold the leaders of his church to a higher standard than those who aren't leaders in his church?

The United Methodist Church is attempting to advance a more "liberal Christianity." In so doing, they make it clear that they have "alternative explanations" of clear scripture.

The apostasy is coming.

Mormonism says it already came... and went... and then Mormonism too offers "alternative explanations" to clear scripture, e.g. Isaiah 43:10, 44:6 and 45:5 which all state unequivocally that God is the only God.

Those who ignore scripture, or attempt to "re-explain" it through preconceived notions do err.

MacG
10-04-2009, 11:27 PM
LDS scriptures state

Yes:

James 3:1 Let not many of you become teachers, my brethren, knowing that as such we will incur a stricter judgment. NASB

MacG

nrajeff
10-05-2009, 04:31 AM
Well gee, Mac, if you're going to quote from the BIBLE, it takes all the fun out of it.... :)

MacG
10-06-2009, 01:00 AM
Well gee, Mac, if you're going to quote from the BIBLE, it takes all the fun out of it.... :)

Yeah I'm a regular killjoy :D

Still not sure what the point of the thread is...:confused:

MacG

aaronshaf
10-06-2009, 01:28 AM
If God was once a sinner and is not now, then he is holding us to a higher standard than he once held himself to before he became a God.

Russianwolfe
10-06-2009, 06:24 AM
If God was once a sinner and is not now, then he is holding us to a higher standard than he once held himself to before he became a God.

Wrong, again. God holds us to the same standard he holds himself to, so that we may become like him. You know, Be ye there for perfect, even as your Father in Heaven is perfect!!

Marvin

Billyray
10-06-2009, 07:31 AM
Wrong, again. God holds us to the same standard he holds himself to, so that we may become like him. You know, Be ye there for perfect, even as your Father in Heaven is perfect!!

Marvin

But if God the Father sinned, then he really has not always been perfect. You believe that Jesus was perfect, maybe Joseph Smith in his JST should of changed the scripture to say,
"Be ye there for perfect, even as (Jesus) is perfect!!

aaronshaf
10-06-2009, 09:00 AM
Russianwolfe, was God holding himself to the standard of perfection in the very moment of sinning / being imperfect, if indeed God was a sinner?

Russianwolfe
10-06-2009, 06:48 PM
But if God the Father sinned, then he really has not always been perfect. You believe that Jesus was perfect, maybe Joseph Smith in his JST should of changed the scripture to say,
"Be ye there for perfect, even as (Jesus) is perfect!!

You are the one who is saying that God sinned. Not me. You have to deal with it. I don't believe God sinned just the way that Christ, who said his father was greater than he, was sinless.

Marvin

Russianwolfe
10-06-2009, 06:48 PM
Russianwolfe, was God holding himself to the standard of perfection in the very moment of sinning / being imperfect, if indeed God was a sinner?

You have a big if, which I don't believe is true.

Marvin

Billyray
10-06-2009, 06:53 PM
You are the one who is saying that God sinned. Not me. You have to deal with it. I don't believe God sinned just the way that Christ, who said his father was greater than he, was sinless.

Marvin
Marvin, you don't believe the Lorenzo Snow couplet?

"As man is God once was, as God is man may be."

John T
10-06-2009, 08:19 PM

Marvin

Marvin,

Is this in bold above your belief or the belief of the LDS church, or both?

Russianwolfe
10-07-2009, 10:37 PM
Marvin,

Is this in bold above your belief or the belief of the LDS church, or both?

The church has no stand on this issue. It is my belief.

Marvin

Russianwolfe
10-07-2009, 10:38 PM
Marvin, you don't believe the Lorenzo Snow couplet?

"As man is God once was, as God is man may be."

I believe the couplet, I don't believe that you can go beyond it without further revelation. What you have done is speculate and are attempting to convince me that it is doctrine. I know it is not.

Marvin

aaronshaf
10-07-2009, 11:13 PM
Christians get to worship God for always having been pure and perfect. We don't have to settle for a cloudy non-official uncertainty over whether God perhaps was a horrific sinner. We don't have to limit our worship of God to who he is in the present.

nrajeff
10-08-2009, 07:31 AM
Christians get to worship God for always having been pure and perfect.

---But you believe that God had no choice but to be always "pure and perfect." Why would that be worthy of worship? A being who only is good because it was programmed to be that way and could not have turned out any OTHER way, is hardly something noble and worthy of worship. You might as well worship a computer that has no choice but to follow its programming.

aaronshaf
10-08-2009, 12:41 PM
God makes choices from his eternal nature, and his eternal nature is holy. God cannot fundamentally change his own nature. Christians love that.

nrajeff, do you believe it's possible that your God could someday regress into sin? That's the implication of your theology. It leaves the door wide open.

alanmolstad
03-20-2014, 08:51 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVXMUDC_pw8&list=PL12A55D36C180D6E8what i know for sure, is that god will judge justly.

I know that God sends a light to all men,,,and that light is Christ.
Regardless of where you are in this world, the Lord is sending you this light from heaven every day.

We know that if we turn to this light it will lead us the greater light of Christ...for there is no salvation via any other name except Christ.