PDA

View Full Version : JWs - Free of pagan influence?

ChrisLaRock
12-19-2008, 11:18 PM
I studied with JWs for almost a year, and one thing was always being brought up by the JW elder. He would boast that JWs are completely free of all pagan contamination.

This claim begs the question; If JWs are free of pagan contamination, why are they permitted to wear wedding rings and neck ties? Wedding rings, for example, date back to pagans who worshipped saturn.

BrianH
04-12-2009, 04:04 AM
Good question.

And what about all the Masonic (Babylonian) imagery in their early publications and all over the grave site of their founder? Why do JWs exchange money with more of the same pagan imagery all over it? And what about the content of Acts 17, where Paul quotes Aratus, a pagan Greek pantheist - is that text not of "pagan" origin?

-BH

PostTribber
05-03-2009, 11:35 AM
pagans believe in 'many' gods. JW's believe Jesus is 'a' god. if JW's believe the Father is 'a' god, and Jesus is 'a' god, then that's pagan.

TRiG
08-02-2009, 01:05 PM
pagans believe in 'many' gods. JW's believe Jesus is 'a' god. if JW's believe the Father is 'a' god, and Jesus is 'a' god, then that's pagan.

Pagans believe in many Gods.
Witnesses believe in many Gods.
Therefore, Witnesses are Pagans.

Cows are mammals.
Goats are mammals.
Therefore, goats are cows.

TRiG.:rolleyes:

johnd
09-07-2009, 09:41 PM
Therefore, Witnesses are Pagans....

Cows are mammals.
Goats are mammals.
Therefore, goats are cows.TRiG.:rolleyes:

I appreciate the fact you are no longer JW, Trig but the logical fallacy is in your illustration.

reread both carefully.

TRiG
09-08-2009, 03:26 AM
I appreciate the fact you are no longer JW, Trig but the logical fallacy is in your illustration.

reread both carefully.I have done. The illustration has no fallacy that I can see.

TRiG.:)

johnd
09-08-2009, 05:53 PM
Cows are mammals.
Goats are mammals.
Therefore, goats and cows are mammals.

In keeping with the definition of mammals.

Jehovah's Witnesses believe in many Gods.

In keeping with the definition of Paganism.
Although polytheism would have been a better (more accurate) choice of words.

TRiG
09-10-2009, 09:26 AM
Cows are mammals.
Goats are mammals.

Therefore, Witnesses are Pagans.You are clearly very very confused.

Therefore pagans and JWs believe in many gods.

Just look at the parallelisms.

GiGi
09-10-2009, 10:10 AM

reread both carefully.

Are Christians also pagans?

xjw4evr
09-10-2009, 01:01 PM
The JW's view of Jesus and God comes directly from the pagan Greek philosopher Plato, ie. the Monas (God) and the Duas (Jesus).

asdf
09-10-2009, 01:51 PM
Cows are mammals.
Goats are mammals.

http://transitionland.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/facepalm.jpg

GiGi
09-10-2009, 02:20 PM
The JW's view of Jesus and God comes directly from the pagan Greek philosopher Plato, ie. the Monas (God) and the Duas (Jesus).

Some will say that all of Christianity has pagan roots.

xjw4evr
09-10-2009, 03:09 PM
Some will say that all of Christianity has pagan roots.

Only the uneducated or the liberal, my dear.

GiGi
09-10-2009, 03:22 PM
Only the uneducated or the liberal, my dear.

I don't understand. Why uneducated, why liberal?

xjw4evr
09-11-2009, 11:03 AM
Why uneducated[?]

Because there is so much scholarship out there that demonstrates, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that Christianity did not "evolve" out of a vacuum, but was developed from the kernels of Jewish religious thought found in the Old Testamant and inter-Testamental writings (much on which were discovered at the Dead Sea).

[W]hy liberal?

Because most liberals (I speak of liberal Christian theologians) are stuck in the arguments of the 19th century Germans liberal theologians. These theologians made ***ertions that have been refuted with the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls (as mentioned above). Further, liberal Christians bring to the table the presupposition that Christianity was not a "child" of Judaism, but was some sort of cheap attempt at copying the pagan mystery religions. This claim is made in spite of clear evidence that many of these pagan mystery religions were copycats of Christianity, or contain legends that are as far removed from Christianity as modern humans are removed from the flea.

GiGi
09-11-2009, 05:02 PM
Because there is so much scholarship out there that demonstrates, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that Christianity did not "evolve" out of a vacuum, but was developed from the kernels of Jewish religious thought found in the Old Testamant and inter-Testamental writings (much on which were discovered at the Dead Sea).

Because most liberals (I speak of liberal Christian theologians) are stuck in the arguments of the 19th century Germans liberal theologians. These theologians made ***ertions that have been refuted with the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls (as mentioned above). Further, liberal Christians bring to the table the presupposition that Christianity was not a "child" of Judaism, but was some sort of cheap attempt at copying the pagan mystery religions. This claim is made in spite of clear evidence that many of these pagan mystery religions were copycats of Christianity, or contain legends that are as far removed from Christianity as modern humans are removed from the flea.

I've been participating on religious discussion boards for a while and I don't recall anyone ever saying that Christianity evolved from a vacuum.
I think anyone familiar with Christianity knows that Jesus was, purportedly, Jewish.
I think many have noticed the simularities between Christianity and other, more ancient religions.
I'm not sure how you conclude from this that these folks are uneducated or liberals.

xjw4evr
09-12-2009, 03:22 PM
I've been participating on religious discussion boards for a while and I don't recall anyone ever saying that Christianity evolved from a vacuum.

Is it possible that you and I run in different crowds?

I think anyone familiar with Christianity knows that Jesus was, purportedly, Jewish.

Really. In the crowds I deal with there are people that deny Jesus ever existed.

I think many have noticed the simularities between Christianity and other, more ancient religions.

Sadly, I have spoken with many people that seem to believe that just because there are similarities, that Christianity ripped these off those religions.

I'm not sure how you conclude from this that these folks are uneducated or liberals.

It's called 17 years of evangelism and apologetic work. I forgot something even more important...people that believe as you stated, are NOT Christians either.

GiGi
09-12-2009, 04:19 PM
Is it possible that you and I run in different crowds?

Really. In the crowds I deal with there are people that deny Jesus ever existed.

Sadly, I have spoken with many people that seem to believe that just because there are similarities, that Christianity ripped these off those religions.

It's called 17 years of evangelism and apologetic work. I forgot something even more important...people that believe as you stated, are NOT Christians either.

I've noticed a tendency in religious people, not just Christians, to dismiss the questions and concerns of others.
Uneducated, liberal, and NOT Christians either? Could it be that you have that tendency?

xjw4evr
09-12-2009, 11:25 PM
I've noticed a tendency in religious people, not just Christians, to dismiss the questions and concerns of others.
Uneducated, liberal, and NOT Christians either? Could it be that you have that tendency?

That would be an incorrect ***umption on your part.

I have noticed the tendency of atheists, agnostics and skeptics to dismiss the questions of others as being uneducated, narrow-minded, and bigoted.

GiGi
09-13-2009, 05:37 AM
I have noticed the tendency of atheists, agnostics and skeptics to dismiss the questions of others as being uneducated, narrow-minded, and bigoted.

Do you have questions?

xjw4evr
09-17-2009, 05:10 PM
Do you have questions?

Are you ***erting that you are in a position to answer any questions I may have?

GiGi
09-17-2009, 07:24 PM
Are you ***erting that you are in a position to answer any questions I may have?

One thing is for sure, I won't dismiss you as uneducated, narrow-minded, or bigoted, unless you really are.

johnd
10-15-2009, 11:53 PM
You are clearly very very confused.

Therefore pagans and JWs believe in many gods.

Just look at the parallelisms.

Yours simply don't follow.

johnd
10-15-2009, 11:54 PM

How so?

Christians believe in one God.

James Banta
06-19-2010, 08:26 PM

Cows are mammals.
Goats are mammals.
Therefore, goats are cows.

TRiG.:rolleyes:

You have it backward
The believe in many gods is Pagan
Jw's believe in many gods
Jw's are therefore pagan

mammals are cows
mammals are goats
there are many differnt animals that are mammals..

IHS jim

asdf
06-19-2010, 08:35 PM
You have it backward
The believe in many gods is Pagan
Jw's believe in many gods
Jw's are therefore pagan

mammals are cows
mammals are goats
there are many differnt animals that are mammals..

IHS jim

Depends on your definition of "pagan".

I think TRiG was saying that to his understanding, belief in multiple gods is a necessary, but not sufficient, requirement to make one a pagan. You are saying that it is both necessary and sufficient.

James Banta
06-19-2010, 08:38 PM

We would be if we believed in many Gods.. But unlike the JW or the Mormons we don't see Jesus as a created being. Nor do we see Him as a separate God from the Father or the Holy Spirit.. This confused me when I first came out of mormonism and God in his grace gave me and understanding through geometric space..

The three dimensions being infinite must logically contains all points of space. Yet Hight is not Width, and neither are either of them Length.. Yet these three dimensions make up one infinite space.. I don't know if you can see the ****ogy but to my small brain it is a wonderful picture of the oneness of God in the weak mind of Jim.. IHS jim

James Banta
06-19-2010, 08:43 PM
Depends on your definition of "pagan".

I think TRiG was saying that to his understanding, belief in multiple gods is a necessary, but not sufficient, requirement to make one a pagan. You are saying that it is both necessary and sufficient.

The worship of any God other than YHWH makes a person an unbeliever in the God of the Bible and therefore a Pagan.. That is the only definition that makes sense Biblically.. IHS jim

GiGi
06-20-2010, 06:52 AM
The worship of any God other than YHWH makes a person an unbeliever in the God of the Bible and therefore a Pagan.. That is the only definition that makes sense Biblically.. IHS jim
Like many words, 'pagan' has more than one meaning. There is no universally accepted definition of 'christian' by christians themselves.

TRiG
06-20-2010, 02:12 PM
James,

Could you please tell me which definition of the word pagan you're using.

James Banta
06-22-2010, 11:17 AM
Like many words, 'pagan' has more than one meaning. There is no universally accepted definition of 'Christian' by christians themselves.

We don't agree.. I say a pagan is anyone that rejects YHWH as the one and only God.. A Christian is a person who accept Jesus as YHWH.. IHS jim

James Banta
06-22-2010, 11:18 AM
James,

Could you please tell me which definition of the word pagan you're using.

Done and done go read it.. IHS jim

GiGi
06-22-2010, 01:15 PM
We don't agree.. I say a pagan is anyone that rejects YHWH as the one and only God.. A Christian is a person who accept Jesus as YHWH.. IHS jim "We"? The fact is, there is no universally accepted definition of the word, even among those that fit your definition of "christian" - another word without a universally accepted definition.

James Banta
06-22-2010, 06:27 PM
"We"? The fact is, there is no universally accepted definition of the word, even among those that fit your definition of "christian" - another word without a universally accepted definition.

There is in the Church.. But you are right it was a name ***igned to disciples of JESUS by the Roman polytheists.. Today it has become a standard for those who recognize Jesus as God, Savior and King of the world.. IHS jim

Soldier4Truth
07-30-2014, 09:50 PM
The Jehovah's Witness cult is Freemasonic and pagan. The ancient heretic Arias' views of Jesus came from pagan concepts, not the biblical data. Charles Russell was a pagan and occultic Freemason, just like Joe Smith.

DrDavidT
12-17-2017, 05:12 PM
Like many words, 'pagan' has more than one meaning. There is no universally accepted definition of 'christian' by christians themselves.

actually, there is the problem s everyone wants to go to heaven so they consider themselves Christian when they are not