PDA

View Full Version : The Original Problems With the "First Vision"

BrianH
01-30-2012, 03:46 PM
There are MANY significant problems and contradictions in the various accounts given by Joseph Smith as well as the accounts of his friends and followers pertaining to his alleged, “First Vision”.

First a little background. While Smith eventually claimed that his first vision occurred either in 1820, 1821 or 1822 (depending on which version you prefer), it was never taught in the LDS church until 22 years later and Smith did not even mention it in his official history of his own church which he published in 1835, long AFTER many significant doubts about the “prophet’s” character personal veracity were drowning the church Smith had started. While these facts do not prove this alleged “vision” never occurred (we cannot “prove” a negative), it creates, as most Mormon claims do, a huge chasm of doubt for a rational person – a chasm that must be filled before such a person can even begin to entertain the idea that this claim might be true. After all, can you imagine forgetting when or where you were married, what year you graduated high school or not mentioning your parents in your autobiography? If we mere mortals can easily remember these mundane dates and events and people in our lives, how much MORE should “prophet, seer and revelator” Joseph Smith have been able to correctly recall the most basic elements pertaining to the personal appearance of God the Father, or Jesus, or God AND Jesus or a bunch of angels or some "spirit" (again, depending on which VERSION of the story you prefer) in his own proverbial back yard?

Smith claims (and contradicts) that in response to a revival in his neighborhood he went into the forrest to pray and ask God which church to join. The sad reality, fro Momrons, is that there were no revivals held in or near Manchester, New York where Smith was living in the years (again ...you guessed it, depending on which version you prefer) when this was all supposed to have happened.

In Joseph Smith’s own first account of his vision, written in 1832, he himself he claims that already knew all other churches were false before he prayed to seek such guidance. He also claims that he was praying in 1823, supposedly AFTER his “First Vision” to know whether there truly was a “supreme being”. Here the “prophet” had already claims he had a personal visitation by God the Father Himself, even introducing Himself as “God the Father” ...and yet the so-called “prophet” somewhere in a period of months or years after that, he is praying to that very God to ask if a supreme being exists? Yet ...Mormons believe this guy.

But now ...to the contradictions within the accounts.

The contradictions within the accounts of Smith’s “First Vision” come in two basic flavors. There are 10 accounts that I am aware of. One set of the contradictions in those accounts are spoken or written explicitly by the “prophet” himself to various people and audiences. The others are secondary – appearing in the claims made by either the LDS church or Smith’s various friends, family and followers. The accounts are:

1827 — Account of Joseph Smith, Sr., and Joseph Smith, Jr., given to Willard Chase, and published in his affidavit of 1833

1827 — Account by Martin Harris given to Rev. John Clark, as published in his book Gleanings by the Way, printed in 1842, pp. 222-229.

1830 — Interview of Joseph Smith by Peter Bauder, recounted by Bauder in his book The Kingdom and the Gospel of Jesus Christ, printed in 1834, pp. 36-38.

1832 — Earliest known attempt at an ‘official’ recounting of the ‘First Vision, from History, 1832, Joseph Smith Letterbook 1, pp.2,3, in the handwriting of Joseph Smith.

1834-35 — Oliver Cowdery, with Joseph Smith’s help, published the first history of Mormonism in the LDS periodical Messenger and Advocate, Kirtland, Ohio, Dec. 1834, vol.1, no.3

1835 — Account given by Joseph Smith to Joshua the Jewish minister, Joseph Smith Diary, Nov. 9, 1835.

1835 — Account given by Joseph Smith to Erastus Holmes on November 14, originally published in the Deseret News of Sa****ay May 29, 1852.

1838 — This account became the official version, now part of Mormon Scripture in the Pearl of Great Price, Joseph Smith — History, 1:7-20. Though written in 1838, it was not published until 1842 in Times and Season, March 15, 1842, vol. 3, no. 10, pp. 727-728, 748-749, 753.

1844 — Account in An Original History of the Religious Denominations at Present Existing in the United States, edited by Daniel Rupp. Joseph Smith wrote the chapter on Mormonism.

1859 — Interview with Martin Harris, Tiffany’s Monthly, 1859, New York: Published by Joel Tiffany, vol. v.—12, pp. 163-170.

Those of a secondary nature can be dismissed, though they are not unimportant. Mormons will have enough trouble dealing with the contradictions in Smith’s various accounts alone. But to avoid answering for them, Mormons will rightly point out that these are indeed secondary, even though they come from such vaunted figures as BoM "witnesses" and other leaders and General Authorities of the LDS church.

Of the above list, the ones in 1827 given to Willard Chase, the ones in 1830, 1832, both of the ones in 1835 and the one in 1838 are directly attributable directly to Joseph Smith himself. Note that one of these became the “official” version ...which begs the question ...why are there any “versions” at all – couldn’t the “prophet” simply tell the truth? Apparently not. Littered among these differing versions of this supposed “Vision” we find many minor contradictions that can be dismissed without any impact one way or the other on the matter of Smith’s personal truthfulness. After all, not every one remembers everything that ever happened to them. However there are several SIGNIFICANT differences that amount to overt contradictions in the most important and significant elements of each tale.

When I was a professional investigator, one of the most basic and obvious things we were trained to look for in taking the statements of witnesses, victims of or participants in an event was changing stories, contradictions and lack of precision with regard to the 5 “W”s – Who, What, When, Where and Why. This is BASIC investigative technique for any first year police officer, investigator, attorney, journalist or even just a conscious person seeking the truth. There are significant changes and variations in Smith’s various stories in 4 of the 5 “W”s

1.) WHO or WHAT? Exactly who or what visited Smith changes. In some versions its God the Father, in others is Jesus, in others its God the Father AND Jesus in another its angels, in another a “spirit”. Exactly Who or what actually appeared to Smith depends on which version you prefer to believe. One thing is sure. I know that if I had been visited by a man claiming to be God the Father and another claiming to be Jesus Christ (the “official” “version”) in the forest one day while I was praying, I am quite sure I would remember who they claimed to be, even if they were total fakes. So would any even minimally cogent person.

2.) WHEN? There is the matter of the year in which this astonishing, unmistakable event supposedly occurred. We learn from Smith’s own words that SOMEONE or SOMETHING (exactly who or what changes over among the versions above) visited Smith in a supernatural vision of stunning character in either 1820, 1821 or 1823. Again, I am certain that any cogent individual could manage to remember what year he was visited by God the Father, or Jesus or Jesus AND God the Father or a host of angels in person. Somehow Smith could not seem to get this straight.

3.) WHY? As mentioned briefly above, the versions given by Smith exhibit changes as to the WHY this vision came or even why he was seeking an answer. It goes from no motive (a spirit appears announcing the news of the golden plates of the BoM), to Bible reading and conviction over his sins, to his responding in confusion to a revival (which never occurred in the first place), to to a desire to know if God exists, that occurs AFTER he says God the Father appeared to him in person.

Fortunately for Mormons there at least appears to be a common reference among these accounts as to WHERE this supposed “Vision” occurred. No big dispute about that part of the story.

Just who appeared to Smith - a spirit, an angel, two angels, Jesus, many angels, the Father and the Son? When did this occur? 1820, 1821, 1823? Why did this vision happen ...no reason? A revival that no one in his region ever experienced? His own reading of the Bible? At what point was he telling the truth and at which point was he NOT telling the truth? They cannot all be true, becuase they clearly contradict each other.

The simple FACT is, "prophet" Smith contradicted himself in his own accounts of what SHOULD have been the most memorable experience of his life. And there are even MORE contradictions in the accounts given by the BoM “witnesses”, Smith’s family members and his neighbors and followers frequently claimed by these witnesses to have been given to them by Smith himself. As is virtually always the case, when the LDS church makes claims there is always huge extremely odd and very challenging facts that both contradict and challenge that claim. Smith contradicted HIMSELF. No matter how you cut it, as usual, Smith is lying. The logical fact is, you cannot believe any ONE of his accounts without making him a LIAR in his OTHER accounts. None of them agree together on all of the key points of who, what, when and why. The only thing they agree upon is where. Is that enough for you? If you are a Mormon, it must be. If you are a person with a mind for seeking truth, its not even close.

-BH

Libby
06-27-2014, 12:13 AM
Bump

I was going to do a new thread on this subject, but this is well written (as Brian's post often are), so see no point in reinventing the wheel.

Looks like there was never a response to this.

Libby
06-27-2014, 12:15 AM
The differences and discrepancies can be read here:

http://mit.irr.org/joseph-smiths-changing-first-vision-accounts

Phoenix
06-27-2014, 09:37 AM
You didn't even look at the harmony of the accounts that I told you about, apparently. Oh, well, you can lead an anti to the truth, but you can't make her read it.

Libby
06-27-2014, 12:32 PM
You didn't even look at the harmony of the accounts that I told you about, apparently. Oh, well, you can lead an anti to the truth, but you can't make her read it.

I really have intended to do that, but not sure where to find it. If you post it, I'll read it.....and everyone else who sees this thread can read it, as well.

Phoenix
06-27-2014, 02:34 PM
I really have intended to do that, but not sure where to find it. If you post it, I'll read it.....and everyone else who sees this thread can read it, as well.

Thanks. It was no harder than typing "Joseph Smith's First Vision versions a harmony" into your Google search bar.

I would start with this article: https://www.lds.org/ensign/1985/01/joseph-smiths-recitals-of-the-first-vision?lang=eng

Lindsay says this about this latest anti-LDS talking point of yours, which of course is old news:

Isn't it odd that there are different versions of the First Vision story?
Not at all. The way we interpret major experiences in our lives changes with time, and the details that we emphasize in a story vary according to our audience and our purpose in relating the event. Joseph's First Vision experience was a rich and overwhelming event in which many truths were learned and extensive information was provided. The full significance of that sacred experience might not have even been clear to Joseph for many years. At different times and for different audiences with different needs, Joseph may have interpreted and emphasized details of that event in different ways, focusing on the forgiveness of his sins or the realization that he should join no church or the plain truth that God and Christ were distinct individuals that he saw. Leaving out some details while emphasizing others at different times does not make him a liar.

If we reject Joseph Smith for offering various accounts that emphasize or exclude different details of the same experience, then by that standard we would also have to reject the Bible. For example, Luke 24:4 says that two angels appeared at the empty tomb to several women, while Matthew 28:2 mentions just one angel. Anti-Mormon writers would have riotous fun with this "contradiction" if it occurred in the Book of Mormon. However, we can give the Bible the benefit of a doubt by suggesting that both Matthew and Luke were describing the same event, but that Matthew overlooked the second angel in his account.

If we reject Joseph Smith for giving different details of a divine vision, then we must also reject Paul for his differing accounts of his vision on the road to Damascus. Paul relates this story three times in the Bible (Acts chapters 9, 22, and 26), and each time there appear to be differences, even contradictions. There are many details that differ between the three accounts. A well-known problem concerns the other witnesses who were with Paul. Look at the three accounts:

-- Acts 9:7 --
And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing no man.

-- Acts 22:9 --
And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they heard not the voice of him that spake to me.

--Acts 26:14 --
And when we were all fallen to the earth, I heard a voice speaking unto me. . .

Did the others hear the voice or not? Did they fall or remain standing? Does it really matter? Anti-Mormon critics would revel in an apparent contradiction of this magnitude in the Book of Mormon or in the history of Joseph Smith, but they are quick to gloss over such problems in the Bible. I think we need to be generous with Paul and recognize that the peripheral details are not essential for his message. Perhaps the apparent contradictions just relate different aspects of a single story, with others who may have heard the voice and may have been standing initially, but then later fell and did not hear part of the message. Frankly, it looks like a minor contradiction, perhaps resulting from a lapse in memory concerning details of the event, but it does not bother me because I do not require the Bible to be infallible in minor details to still be scripture from God.

For your information, there are several more differences in the three accounts of Paul's vision worth noting. Some of the differences seem minor and easily compatible. For example, Acts 9 and 22 simply say the light that Paul saw appeared around him, while Acts 26 say the light was around him and those that were with him. All three agree that the Lord said, "Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?" and that Paul said, "Who art thou, Lord?". However, in Acts 9, the Lord says "It is hard for thee to kick against the *****s" before Paul responds, while Acts 26 has the Lord say that after Paul responds, and Acts 22 makes no mention of that statement from the Lord.

More ****ogous to the Joseph Smith First Vision accounts, the accounts in Acts 9 and 22 conclude by telling of how Paul regained his sight and make no mention of statements from the Lord about Paul's future mission. Later, though, in Acts 26, Paul does not even mention his blindness and his miraculous recovery, but says instead that the Lord prophesied to him of his future mission among the Gentiles. If Paul were Joseph Smith, critics would accuse him of fabricating new twists to his story and contradicting himself, but I feel it's more fair to believe that both Paul and Joseph were relating different parts of their visionary experiences. Initially, Paul may have been most concerned about the healing of his eyes (as Joseph seems to have been most concerned about the forgiveness of his sins), while later his recollection of the Lord's words about his mission to the Gentiles became a more important part of the vision (as did the explanation of Joseph's future mission).

Also worth noting is the fact that Paul, like Joseph, seems to have waited several years before recording his vision. It may have been 24 years from the time of that vision until the time it was written as we have it in the Bible (Richard L. Anderson, as quoted by Milton V. Backman, "Joseph Smith's Recitals of the First Vision," Ensign, Jan. 1985, pp. 8-17). We should not criticize Joseph for waiting to make a full record, not only because of Paul's precedent, but because young Joseph was in difficult circumstances, lacked academic training, and had been strongly rejected already for sharing it with others. But once he understood that he needed to make a history, he did so quickly.

The standard that would rashly condemn Joseph Smith for differences in focus in his First Vision accounts might also condemn Paul for his various accounts which also differ in focus and may even contain a genuine contradiction or two. Conclusion: be careful about judging others rashly and making a man an offender for a word. Seek to understand honestly, not just to find reasons to condemn. The Bible is true, in spite of some minor problems, and Joseph Smith's First Vision accounts, as given directly by him, are also true. How can you know that for sure? Read the Book of Mormon - it's the evidence of Joseph's divine calling as the Prophet of the Restoration. If the Book of Mormon is true, then Joseph Smith was a true prophet of God.

Phoenix
06-27-2014, 02:36 PM
Then you can read this article: First Vision Accounts

https://www.lds.org/topics/first-vision-accounts

RealFakeHair
06-27-2014, 03:19 PM
Then you can read this article: First Vision Accounts

https://www.lds.org/topics/first-vision-accounts

Disharmony, if Paul had lost the eye sight in one version, and in the next he lost his voice. them you can use that as a comparison.

Phoenix
06-27-2014, 08:02 PM
Disharmony, if Paul had lost the eye sight in one version, and in the next he lost his voice. them you can use that as a comparison.

The story of Joseph Smith's first vision is a recounting of things that were seen and heard during a theophany.
Just like the story of Paul's vision. Both men described stuff that happened. And both of them told multiple accounts of their experience, and those accounts are not identical each time the men talked or wrote about them.

That is the bottom line as far as attacking either man's honesty is concerned. I choose to not attack either one of them.

Libby
06-28-2014, 01:03 AM
Thanks for posting all of that, Phoenix. I've read a lot of it this evening (and I've read some of it before).

There are a couple of reasons I don't think comparing JS's vision with the Bible is a fair comparison. The main reason is because none of the various versions in the Bible change any of the stories significantly. The second reason is that the Bible is over 2000 years old (the OT much older than that) and have been translated from, at least, two different languages. After that many years and considering that the translation process is not always perfect, it seems reasonable that there would be a few variations on some of the stories. I mean, we're talking THOUSANDS of years, right?

Joseph's story was written only 150 years ago, in ENGLISH (no translation problems)...written in his own hand...and the differences are major. He completely changes who it is he saw, at least three times. (First an angel and then Jesus and then Jesus and the Father). Those are pretty major differences, don't you think?

Phoenix
06-28-2014, 10:57 PM
I am surprised to see you holding the Bible to a lower standard than you hold JS's account of what he saw and heard.

Libby
06-29-2014, 12:46 AM
I don't think I'm doing that and I explained why the comparisons are unequal.

theway
06-30-2014, 11:11 AM
But that's exactly what happened in the Bible.
In one version they saw but heard nothing, and in the other they heard but saw nothing. That is as much of a contradiction as there is.

However the only real contradiction in the first vision accounts comes when he tells how old he was. But even then you will notice that most of the times he tells his age he is vague about it.. "it was around..." " in about...."etc...