PDA

View Full Version : Isaiah 43:10

Bat-Man
05-08-2009, 11:30 AM
Isaiah 43:10 is used by some people to indicate that God is only one person.
Is that the correct understanding of this scripture?
Are we to believe that God is only one person?
First, let’s take a look at the actual text of Isaiah 43:10.
Next, let’s try to understand that scripture in context.
Then, let’s compare our understanding to our understanding of all of the other scriptures.
Finally, let’s think more about this issue with a prayer in our hearts as we appeal to God to give us an understanding of the truth through Faith.

Isaiah 43:10, Contemporary English Version (CEV):
My people, you are my witnesses and my chosen servant.
I want you to know me, to trust me, and understand that I alone am God.
I have always been God; there can be no others.

Observations from context:
1. The LORD is addressing the descendants of Jacob, the nation of Israel (43:1)
2. The LORD created Israel, and Israel belongs to the LORD (43:1, 7, 15)
3. The LORD is Israel’s Savior and Redeemer (43:1, 3-4, 11, 13-14, 25)
4. The LORD is Israel's God, there was and is no other (43:3; 10-15, 25)

It seems to me that this chapter is an appeal from the Lord to His people Israel. Israel was often disobedient to God, being obedient only for short periods of time before following after another god. Keeping this scripture in context, isn’t it at least possible that God was telling his people that for them there is only one God and there would never be another? Some people will take a literalist approach and say no, that isn’t possible. They will say that the words, “I alone am God. I have always been God; there can be no others” means that there are and can be no other PERSONS who are God, PERIOD.

At this point we have 2 possible explanations and interpretations of the scripture in question, so let’s learn what we can from this and apply our understanding of other scriptures. If there is only one PERSON who is God, PERIOD, the scriptures should provide evidence of that idea. If there is more than one PERSON who is God, however, there should also be some evidence to support that idea. Let’s take a look and see what we find.

References to God referring to more than one person
In the Genesis account of creation, we can see that God is speaking to someone.
Genesis 1:26 (CEV)
”God said, Now we will make humans, and they will be like us. We will let them rule the fish, the birds, and all other living creatures.
Since this is before any man has been placed on this Earth, I conclude that one person who is God is speaking to another person who is also God. Can you now correctly conclude that God is more than one person? I think you can. Let’s see what else we can find though.

The account of the fall of Adam and Eve also contains evidences of more than one God. When the serpent tempted Eve, he told her:
Genesis 3:5 (CEV)
“God understands what will happen on the day you eat fruit from that tree. You will see what you have done, and you will know the difference between right and wrong, just as God does.”
It was Satan’s plan to make the fruit of the tree desirable so that Adam and/or Eve would eat of it and thus go against God’s command to not eat of it. But the wisdom and intelligence of God was and always will be above that of Satan’s.
Genesis 3:22 (CEV)
The LORD said, "These people now know the difference between right and wrong, just as we do. But they must not be allowed to eat fruit from the tree that lets them live forever.”
God knew Adam and Eve would sin, and God had already provided and set in place a plan of redemption. The fall was necessary so that Adam and Eve would gain the knowledge of good and evil and be able to choose good instead of having it forced upon them.

Notice that God is addressed in plural form, giving further indication that God is or at least may be more than only one person.

Now let us look at another instance, an instance when men wanted to build a tall tower and avoid being spread all over the earth.
Genesis 11:7 (CEV)
“But when the LORD came down to look at the city and the tower, He said:
These people are working together because they all speak the same language. This is just the beginning. Soon they will be able to do anything they want. Come on! Let us go down and confuse them by making them speak different languages--then they won't be able to understand each other.

Do you now have enough evidence to totally understand the nature of God?
Probably not. Let’s look at more of the Bible and see what else we come up with.

Indications that the Father and Son are separate persons, and both are God:
John 1:1 (NIV)
“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Father in heaven speaking to His Son, with whom He was well pleased:
Matthew 3: 16-17 (NIV)
“As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and lighting on him. And a voice from heaven said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased."

Father in heaven setting His well beloved Son apart from Moses and Elijah:
Matthew 17: 1-5 (NIV)
“After six days Jesus took with him Peter, James and John the brother of James, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. There he was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and his clothes became as white as the light. Just then there appeared before them Moses and Elijah, talking with Jesus.
Peter said to Jesus, "Lord, it is good for us to be here. If you wish, I will put up three shelters--one for you, one for Moses and one for Elijah."
While he was still speaking, a bright cloud enveloped them, and a voice from the cloud said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him.”

Father bears testimony of His Son:
John 5:36-40 (NIV)
“I have testimony weightier than that of John. For the very work that the Father has given me to finish, and which I am doing, testifies that the Father has sent me. And the Father who sent me has himself testified concerning me. You have never heard his voice nor seen his form, nor does his word dwell in you, for you do not believe the one he sent. You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life.”

Jesus came from God and was going back to God:
John 13:3 (NIV)
“Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God;”

The Father is greater than the Son:
John 14: 28 (NIV)
“You heard me say, 'I am going away and I am coming back to you.' If you loved me, you would be glad that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I.”

I think that’s enough scripture for now.

Take time to pray and ask God to be with you.

BigJulie
04-22-2014, 09:18 PM
And here is another thread on the same subject.

Libby
04-22-2014, 09:39 PM
Yes, this certainly got discussed quite a lot, back in the day, didn't it? :)

Billyray
04-22-2014, 11:04 PM
And here is another thread on the same subject.
To bad you won't try and address the verses in Isaiah other than to say that they are not correct as written. Christianity is a monotheistic faith--contrast this with your faith which is polytheistic. This is just one more example of how your beliefs run contrary to what the Bible teaches.

BigJulie
04-22-2014, 11:16 PM
To bad you won't try and address the verses in Isaiah other than to say that they are not correct as written. Christianity is a monotheistic faith--contrast this with your faith which is polytheistic. This is just one more example of how your beliefs run contrary to what the Bible teaches.

I already have in another thread. That is my point--these things just keep going around.

Billyray
04-22-2014, 11:26 PM
I already have in another thread. That is my point--these things just keep going around.
If it is the thread that I think you are talking about you simply stated that the text is not correct as written because you outright deny what is plainly stated in the text. How about we look at a few verses and see if your beliefs are consistent with what the Bible teaches OR do you deny these verses and make up some excuse to dismiss it.

Isaiah 43:10
“You are my witnesses,” declares the Lord, “and my servant whom I have chosen that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor shall there be any after me.

Per LDS thinking "Lord" in the OT refers to Christ who is the God of the OT. And here you have Jesus clearly saying "Before me no god was formed, nor shall there be any after me."

Isaiah 43:12 I declared and saved and proclaimed, when there was no strange god among you; and you are my witnesses,” declares the Lord, “and I am God.

Now let us look at verse 12 from an lds point of view. Here we have the "Lord" who is Christ, clearly stating the "I am God".

BigJulie
04-22-2014, 11:29 PM
If it is the thread that I think you are talking about you simply stated that the text is not correct as written because you outright deny what is plainly stated in the text.

Plainly stated in Isaiah ;). Yes, that is what Isaiah does---he writes extremely plainly and anyone who reads Isaiah should just know exactly what he is saying.

Billyray
04-23-2014, 12:10 AM
Plainly stated in Isaiah ;). Yes, that is what Isaiah does---he writes extremely plainly and anyone who reads Isaiah should just know exactly what he is saying.
Which means that you are denying what is plainly stated in the text. But you have no choice because this section of scripture completely contradicts what you believe.