Thread: Gay Marriage

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    oatmeal

Since God ins***uted marriage and authored it's definition, I believe the state should hold to His ruling......
    ****sexuals are free to breathe, eat, provide their shelter, defend their lives,
    and pursue happiness.
    But it is interminably clear that God has witheld from them not only holy matrimony, but indeed, the very act that defines them.

You can change and redefine state laws; but God's holy word does not change.
    As far as why we are seeing this thing blossom and grow out of all proportion
    to it's real size, I believe you will find the answer to that in JohnD's post.

asdf

Quote Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
    But it is interminably clear that God has witheld from them not only holy matrimony,
    Matrimony can only be regarded as "holy" if it is consecrated by a given religious body. I support the rights of religious bodies to determine who they will and will not marry.

The Catholic church will not bless the union of divorcees. There is neither reason nor basis to enshrine such restriction in civil law - if only for the quite obvious reason that not everyone is Catholic!

Likewise, whether you or your religious body believes that "God has withheld" marriage from same-sex couples, that does not stand as a reasonable basis for restricting them under civil law.

but indeed, the very act that defines them.
    That you regard the sex act as the defining characteristic of gay and lesbian people is most telling.

oatmeal

[QUOTE=asdf;28160]Matrimony can only be regarded as "holy" if it is consecrated by a given religious body. I support the rights of religious bodies to determine who they will and will not marry.

The Catholic church will not bless the union of divorcees. There is neither reason nor basis to enshrine such restriction in civil law - if only for the quite obvious reason that not everyone is Catholic!

Whatsoever God has joined(man and woman)let no man put asunder.
    If two be joined in matrimony it is deemed holy by God, save for the cause of divorce.

Likewise, whether you or your religious body believes that "God has withheld" marriage from same-sex couples, that does not stand as a reasonable basis for restricting them under civil law.

God created man and woman, not civil law.....The ins***ute of marriage belongs to God for his purpose, not civil law.

That you regard the sex act as the defining characteristic of gay and lesbian people is most telling.[/QUOTE]

Words have a meaning: actions speak more clearly than words; We have come to a point
    in America where we are redefining words and there meanings.
    God will not be mocked: He changes not.

sunofmysoul

Quote Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
    Since God ins***uted marriage and authored it's definition, I believe the state should hold to His ruling......
    ****sexuals are free to breathe, eat, provide their shelter, defend their lives,
    and pursue happiness.
    But it is interminably clear that God has witheld from them not only holy matrimony, but indeed, the very act that defines them.

You can change and redefine state laws; but God's holy word does not change.
    As far as why we are seeing this thing blossom and grow out of all proportion
    to it's real size, I believe you will find the answer to that in JohnD's post.
    a question.

God commanded in the beginning for us to multiply and fill the earth...
    procreation was a large part of the initial beginning of marriage.

Do we now believe that all marriage is for this purpose?
    Or is one of the primary purposes, changing? Now that we have filled the earth, can marriage have room for those who do not meet the ability to fulfill this command? (we now use birth control which is food for thought...)

A second question, would be what of those who do not fit into the "foreordained ins***ute" definition of male or female? what of the intergender?

thanks,
    soms