Thread: IYO was I right or wrong to...

MacG

Default IYO was I right or wrong to...

apologize for a bad witness that was not my own?

The case in point:

A salesman came into my shop one day with the last name of Levine. I guided the conversation to ask whether he regarded Jesus to be the messiah. He told me this story: "When I was a boy some Mexican Catholic boys would surround me and say "You Jewisha? Huh? You Jewisha? Huh?" They would take my Hamsa necklace and **** it and say "What is this? A whistle, Jewisha?"" He went on to say they would continue to taunt him and spit on him and laugh. The look on his was as if he was reliving it right then. If that is what Jesus does for people why would I want anything to do with it? I was moved by comp***ion to apologize to him for their actions and did so.

In your opinion was I right or was I wrong?

MacG

asdf

Quote Originally Posted by MacG View Post

The case in point:

A salesman came into my shop one day with the last name of Levine. I guided the conversation to ask whether he regarded Jesus to be the messiah. He told me this story: "When I was a boy some Mexican Catholic boys would surround me and say "You Jewisha? Huh? You Jewisha? Huh?" They would take my Hamsa necklace and **** it and say "What is this? A whistle, Jewisha?"" He went on to say they would continue to taunt him and spit on him and laugh. The look on his was as if he was reliving it right then. If that is what Jesus does for people why would I want anything to do with it? I was moved by comp***ion to apologize to him for their actions and did so.

MacG
    Sounds like you were moved by basic human decency to empathize with a horrible experience experienced by the guy, made worse by the fact that it was done by those who ostensibly represent the Jesus you know and love.

To apologize for their actions is in no way accepting moral culpability for what they did. You knew that, and I'm certain that the man with whom you were speaking knew that as well.

When loss, misfortune or sickness befalls a person it is common, and perfectly acceptable for others to say "sorry".

Perhaps it would be easier if the English language had separate words for "sorry" as an admission of wrongdoing and "sorry" as an expression of empathy and solidarity.

TheWolfman99

The case in point:

MacG
    I think you were fine in apologizing for their actions but one should also explain how Christians ARE to treat others, even those of other religions, or no religion.

Regardless of what some might say, Christ had comp***ion on EVERYONE. These punks in your OP in no way represent Christ.

Also, you didn't mention their ages. Odds are, they may have been just young punks that didn't know any better. Either way it's inexcusable.

Even though the victim in your story was "put off" by the way he was treated, he should be made to understand that this isn't the way Christians should treat one another and perhaps even showing him how Christ treated people would make him realize that HE (Christ) represents Christianity foremost. All we can do is try to emulate Him.

MacG

Quote Originally Posted by TheWolfman99 View Post
    I think you were fine in apologizing for their actions but one should also explain how Christians ARE to treat others, even those of other religions, or no religion.

Regardless of what some might say, Christ had comp***ion on EVERYONE. These punks in your OP in no way represent Christ.

Also, you didn't mention their ages. Odds are, they may have been just young punks that didn't know any better. Either way it's inexcusable.

Even though the victim in your story was "put off" by the way he was treated, he should be made to understand that this isn't the way Christians should treat one another and perhaps even showing him how Christ treated people would make him realize that HE (Christ) represents Christianity foremost. All we can do is try to emulate Him.
    He was actually tearing up as he relayed the story, lip quivering and all. In my apology I stated that that was not what Christ was all about and their action in no way represented the love of Christ.

I have run into this kind of thing several times now and I try to convey that it hurts to hear that and I try to guide them to not throw the baby out with the bath water of the Church as it were. It is difficult though, once bitten, twice shy.

MacG

archaeologist

my opinion is that -- you cannot apologize for someone else. you can feel sorry the event took place and apologize that the man suffered but you cannot speak on behalf of other people without their permission,.

MacG

Quote Originally Posted by archaeologist View Post
    my opinion is that -- you cannot apologize for someone else. you can feel sorry the event took place and apologize that the man suffered but you cannot speak on behalf of other people without their permission,.
    Thanks for your opinion. Just exploring a bit further...In an ideal reconciliation situation, where a child causes an offense to a neighbor and the neighbor comes to the parent, does not the parent first apologize to get the ball rolling, to break the ice as it were? Did not Jesus give the ultimate apology on out behalf?

MacG

alanmolstad

The case in point:

MacG
    yes.
    Its pointless to do so when clearly you had done nothing wrong, nor could speak on behalf of anyone but yourself.

next time you might point out that our master was also attacked for his views, and was beaten and finally nailed to a cross.

But even there, on the cross, he found it in his heart not to hate the men who did this to him, but prayed for them.

alanmolstad

every once in a while I run into a non-Christian that will attempt to use WW2 gas chambers against me...or have me answer for the Inquisition....

all I can tell them is that "My Lord also suffered greatly for his faith"