Thread: What hat do you wear?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    alanmolstad

Michaells:

My connection to this whole issue stems from a long time ago.
    I was a member of a church that had a very active adult Bible study program for us.
    I attended many, many cl***es where this section of the Bible was discussed.
    In about every case I can remember now, the thrust of the teachers understanding of this set of Bible verses was that this is all talking about the "veil".

The truth is, I cant actually remember this part of the Bible being talked about from either the Church pulpit or the cl*** room teacher or home fellowship leader that the common understanding was that Paul here was talking about a girls "veil"

because the understanding of the veil being the main subject talked about by Paul, I always next had to listen to whatever teacher was doing the teaching at the time, to how this could be made 'relevant" in our age where girls for the most part in the evangelical church do not wear a 'veil" while attending church.

The problem I had was that when I simply read the verses I saw something different!

I never once saw Paul talking about a cloth "veil", in fact I saw Paul going out of his way to make sure we understand that the covering on both the girls and the boys is their 'hair.
    It seemed simple enough to see from the Text.

So when I had to sit and listen to Preachers and Teachers struggle so to twist things around and around in an effort to not make it seem like the Bible was clearly teaching that "Girls MUST wear a veil" I had to just shake my head.

"That is just not what the verse is about." is all I kept thinking to myself.

So from time to to time, (like here for example) I try to speak up and point out to my learned brothers in the church that the verse is simply talking about hair styles, and how it reflects on ourselves and the church in general.

I really cant improve on what I have already posted on the topic as seen at post number #17 above. If after reading that post (#17) you have any questions or wish me to go over something I have written that seems unclear just let me know, for I will be happy to give it another shot.

As I have talked about also above, this section of the bible, and the way people seem to struggle to explain it reminds me a lot of another part of the bible where people also struggle to explain away something that , actually the bible does not teach in the first place.

That other part of the Bible deals with a verse in Genesis where the "Sons of God, and the Daughters of Men" marry and have children.

I have grown up listening to teachers go on and on with how this was talking about "Angels"
    But the trouble is, when I read the parts of the Bible that come before that genesis 6 verse, I saw that the church teachers that believe it was talking about "angels" were taking the verse out of its context.

When i read the same verse in it's correct context I noticed that it was talking about the same groups of people that it had already been talking about in Genesis 3,4,5....its the same people!

There was no need to invent a way to get "Angels"into the story at all....

Just as there is no need to deal with the "Veil" issue in our verse here....

It's like...
    It's like when the Bible tells us that when a woman prays with her head uncovered its dishonors her head.
    We learn from the text that the "covering" of the girl is actually her "long hair"

But what about this "head" we are talking about?
    Whats the "head"?

Well some people teach that the "head' in this verse is talking about her skull, you know the thing sticking out of a person shirt.
    But that's not true at all !

The Bible tells us clearly that the "head" of the women is the "man"

But what "man" are we talking about?
    Are we saying "men" is general?........NO!
    We are not talking about all men on the whole earth because I got to tell you, I dont give a rip what hair length girls wear ,
    So we cant be talking about "men" in general in this verse because simply put, "Men dont care"...we are not the least bit dishonored personally by the hair length of women we dont know or have any business even thinking about.

So what "man" is dishonored if a girl wears her hair incorrectly?
    The answer I believe from the context is "Her husband"
    The husband is the only "man" a girl's hair actually reflects good or ill upon.

What if the girl is not married yet?
    Then I believe that the "man" being talking about is the "father" of the girl.
    This means that when a girl was seen during this time with the wrong style of hair, (and she was wearing this wrong style openly) that this was seen as a dishonor to her father or to her husband.

That is just the way it is.
    And the truth is in many ways this same thing is still true in our modern world.*

The way a girl in your church will dress and talk reflects on how her parents raised her.
    And when she gets married how she dresses is a reflection on her husband.

thats just the way it is.....

This FACT OF LIFE is all Paul is talking about

* when a young girl moves out of her house and ends up a stripper, no one blames it on the relationship she had with her mom.
    Last edited by alanmolstad; 01-07-2015 at 11:26 AM.