Thread: What hat do you wear?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    alanmolstad

Quote Originally Posted by MichaellS View Post

So if I got this right, it comes down to an opinion of either natural or spiritual honor/dishonor? Correct me if I’m wrong.

Mike.
    Mike, I was with you until I got to this last sentence....then i lost your meaning and Im not sure what you are asking me?

I dont understand the 'natural or spiritual honor/dishonor" part of your question......

and.
    When i point out that Paul is not going over something that Jesus said, its just how it is.
    Paul is not quoting Jesus in his argument.
    Paul does not quote other Disciples too.

But Paul does build his argument on some very sound principles that are based on Scripture.

Yet, at the end of this section when Paul is wrapping up his argument he does not close with some sort of Commandment or quotation.
    What Paul finally falls back on is the fact that what he is saying is also what all the other churches under his authority practice.

This is why I always try to point out that because this is not something that the Lord taught on during his life, we cant hold it to be so critical as it would be equal with a teaching like the "resurrection" or the "trinity" or "Salvation"

Its a side-issue that Paul felt the need to preach on, and considering the trouble this same church had gotten into over the question of the Gifts of the Spirit and Speaking in Tongues, i can easily believe that things had gotten out of hand on this question of how the hair styles on sisters within that church were bringing condemnation down on them from all quarters.

I believe that the reason Paul felt the need to spend so much time on this one topic was a clear sign that "S__t had hit the fan"
    Last edited by alanmolstad; 01-10-2015 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    Mike, I was with you until I got to this last sentence....then i lost your meaning and Im not sure what you are asking me?

I dont understand the 'natural or spiritual honor/dishonor" part of your question......

and.
    When i point out that Paul is not going over something that Jesus said, its just how it is.
    Paul is not quoting Jesus in his argument.
    Paul does not quote other Disciples too.

But Paul does build his argument on some very sound principles that are based on Scripture.

Yet, at the end of this section when Paul is wrapping up his argument he does not close with some sort of Commandment or quotation.
    What Paul does fall back on is the fact that what he is saying is also what all the other churches under his authority practice.

This is why I always try to point out that because this is not something that the Lord taught on during his life, we cant hold it to be so critical as it would be equal with a teaching like the "resurrection" or the "trinity" or "Salvation"

Its a side-issue that Paul felt the need to preach on, and considering the trouble this same church had gotten into over the question of the Gifts of the Spirit and Speaking in Tongues, i can easily believe that things had gotten out of hand on this question of how the hair styles on sisters within that church were bringing condemnation down on them from all quarters.

I believe that the reason Paul felt the need to spend so much time on this one topic was a clear sign that "S__t had hit the fan"
    Sure Alan, referring back to the second paragraph, yours is more of a “gender treatment of love and honor”, thereby “natural”. And you have made it in the simplest terms as something that was “clear” coming from Paul.

Whereas Saxon is attempting to tell us the covering or not is directly connected to one’s honoring Christ or not, thereby “spiritual”. And he probably wants the references shown there of that connection to be his point of being clear.

If I misjudged everything you have said with this ***ertion, my apologies. He may want to correct me as well. I still don’t feel I am seeing as clearly as I would hope on this. That may be due to the lack of countering verse for verse. Frankly, I don’t see that feasible here. But I’ll re-read yours and may change, and if I’m not mistaken, there are additional considerations in that last comment of yours.

alanmolstad

Quote Originally Posted by MichaellS View Post
    . But I’ll re-read yours and may change, and if I’m not mistaken, there are additional considerations in that last comment of yours.
    Im still re-editing it!

Funny how when i write something one way, and then a bit later come back and read it again i find that it does not flow the way i want...)(*&(*&%*$&$#%$#&