Thread: What is a Christian?

GateKeeper

Default What is a Christian?

My view is that a Christian is one who understands the nature of God's Word (Love). One who follows Christ, or His example. One who lives to serve God, and/or His purpose for humanity. One who walks the walk, as opposed to giving mere lip service.

Faith, hope, and love are the products (Fruits) of God's Word/Spirit. Christ manifested this Spirit, and lived accordingly. This is what defines a Christian. [imo] We can claim to be Christian until we are blue in the face, but until we begin to walk the walk, and live accordingly, we are not [true] Christians. I believe this is a process. God develops us as individuals [if] we are willing to embrace His hand. It is not only through reading scripture, but also through much hardship, and tribulation that we grow.

Our actions not only define who we are, but also how effective we are as sowers of God's Word. In short, a Christian is one who has the light of life in them, and walks accordingly: "Love"

Gk

johnd

Christian = a human being who chose to humble them self before God on God's terms.

sayso

A Christian is someone born of God, who loves the Lord His God with all of his heart, all of his mind, all of his soul, and all of his strength. And he also loves his neighbor as himself.

John 1:12 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name,

13 who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.

John 3:5 Jesus answered, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

1 Peter 1:23 for you have been born again not of seed which is perishable but imperishable, that is, through the living and enduring word of God.

A perhaps a more thought provoking question would be why does one become a Christian?

Bob Carabbio

A "Christian" is one who realizes that he is a filthy sinner, always HAS been, and in his own nature ALWAYS WILL BE.

He sees (through the Conviction of the Holy Spirit) the ENORMITY of that in real terms, repents of his sin, asks for forgiveness, and places his faith in The sacrifice of Jesus for his soul's salvation. then (since his "old Man" - the old nature has been crucified with Christ, the Christian ceases to walk by SIGHT , and begins to Walk in Faith that he is now a child of God, and his sins (which were many) are GONE, and he's freed from death. A Christian understands that his old nature can't be "reformed, or changed, and must only be allowed to become "ineffective" in his NEW life in Christ.

That's the BEGINNING of Christianity. Then commences the process of "sanctification" and growing in Christian maturity.

We learn of Jesus, and of God in the Word, and through the interaction of the Holy Spirit in our lives, and ideally through the Baptism in the Holy Spirit where we are "clothed with Power" for witness and ministry.

Columcille

Default the Creedal Christian plus the moral code

Quote Originally Posted by GateKeeper View Post
    My view is that a Christian is one who understands the nature of God's Word (Love). One who follows Christ, or His example. One who lives to serve God, and/or His purpose for humanity. One who walks the walk, as opposed to giving mere lip service.

Faith, hope, and love are the products (Fruits) of God's Word/Spirit. Christ manifested this Spirit, and lived accordingly. This is what defines a Christian. [imo] We can claim to be Christian until we are blue in the face, but until we begin to walk the walk, and live accordingly, we are not [true] Christians. I believe this is a process. God develops us as individuals [if] we are willing to embrace His hand. It is not only through reading scripture, but also through much hardship, and tribulation that we grow.

Our actions not only define who we are, but also how effective we are as sowers of God's Word. In short, a Christian is one who has the light of life in them, and walks accordingly: "Love"

Gk
    Of course there are two aspects that a Christian must be identified with to meet the requirement of being a Christian. Correct Doctrine and correct morals. To be a mere Christian is to hold to the sum of the Apostle's Creed and to the Nicene Creed, forgetting for a moment of the filique clause. One must have the right Jesus and not another Jesus. So the Jesus of the Mormans, the Jesus of the Muslims, the Jesus of the JWs, and other such cults have been addressed by the heresies of which the Nicene Creed corrects.

The morals goes without saying, but it is hard to identify a Christian just by their following a moral code. They should first recognize what the moral code is and by the power of God fighting their own fleshly desires should adher to such a code as much as possible. I have come to the conclusion that the Episcopalians who support Gene Robinson's being a bishop are not Christians, regardless of how pious they adher to the moral code in their own life or the good works which they may produce nor how orthodox their Christology or theology be when they are unrepentant of their support for abortion, ****sexuality, and even euthenasia--as perhaps seen more clearly by Terri Schiavo's death in Florida.

I know many Baptists who would rather say "affirmation" rather than "creed," and other such denominations object to it for their distrust of more organized religious ins***utions or for the appearance of "tradition" and all the negative connotations they attach to it... but when you get down to it, they adher to the Nicene and Apostle's Creed just the same.

Trinity

Albert Schweitzer had said that love is the only thing who doubles, every time we are giving some.

A christian for me is someone who knows that there is more than one manner to love. And he finds his pleasure in spewing it.

We often forget that this love was the central message of Jesus. This path p***es by the good heart and the knowledge that everything is impermanent. Only love can p*** the great test of time. Anything else, every thing you can see, will decay and disappear.

This is the sparkle from God, and the only thing good in our being. Be attentive, and be lovable as much as you can. This will sanctify you.

Trinity

Columcille

Default His perfect will.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    Albert Schweitzer had said that love is the only thing who doubles, every time we are giving some.

A christian for me is someone who knows that there is more than one manner to love. And he finds his pleasure in spewing it.

We often forget that this love was the central message of Jesus. This path p***es by the good heart and the knowledge that everything is impermanent. Only love can p*** the great test of time. Anything else, every thing you can see, will decay and disappear.

This is the sparkle from God, and the only thing good in our being. Be attentive, and be lovable as much as you can. This will sanctify you.

Trinity
    The English word for "love" is so generalized that it is hard to determine exactly what it means. It is sometimes used so much as a cliche that it looses its effectiveness. To a professing Episcopalian, Love is tolerance and acceptance of a "loving" ****sexual relationship inside Christendom. This has cheapened the idea of love. Sometimes love means you spank your kids and do not let them get spoiled. Love is love; a rose is a rose; and there are many emotions that love may carry to both the recipient and the giver, but love is not a feeling but an act of the will in accordance to God's perfect will.

sayso

Quote Originally Posted by Columcille View Post
    The English word for "love" is so generalized that it is hard to determine exactly what it means. It is sometimes used so much as a cliche that it looses its effectiveness. To a professing Episcopalian, Love is tolerance and acceptance of a "loving" ****sexual relationship inside Christendom. This has cheapened the idea of love. Sometimes love means you spank your kids and do not let them get spoiled. Love is love; a rose is a rose; and there are many emotions that love may carry to both the recipient and the giver, but love is not a feeling but an act of the will in accordance to God's perfect will.
    Hi Columcille,

I agree. To many, love means being agreeable and never confronting another concerning their wrong thinking or actions. To do this one must believe that there are no absolutes, no clear cut right and wrong. However, anyone who is or has been a parent knows that one of the most loving things a parent can say to a child is no.

Trinity

Quote Originally Posted by sayso View Post
    I agree. To many, love means being agreeable and never confronting another concerning their wrong thinking or actions. To do this one must believe that there are no absolutes, no clear cut right and wrong. However, anyone who is or has been a parent knows that one of the most loving things a parent can say to a child is no.
    There is a way to express love without chocking or bullying anyone.

Love is patient...
    Love is kind...
    It does not envy...
    It does not boast...
    It is not proud...
    It is not rude...
    It is not self-seeking..
    It is not easily angered...
    It keeps no record of wrongs..
    Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth...
    It always protects...
    Always trusts...
    Always hopes...
    Always perseveres...

Since the day that this new forum was launched, I noticed that only three persons here have this kind of love and I am not one of them.

Trinity

sayso

There is a way to express love without chocking or bullying anyone.

Love is patient...
    Love is kind...
    It does not envy...
    It does not boast...
    It is not proud...
    It is not rude...
    It is not self-seeking..
    It is not easily angered...
    It keeps no record of wrongs..
    Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth...
    It always protects...
    Always trusts...
    Always hopes...
    Always perseveres...

Since the day that this new forum was launched, I noticed that only three persons here have this kind of love and I am not one of them.

Trinity

I haven't seen anyone in this forum or anywhere (including myself) who are perfect and have this kind of love.

God is love. God disciplines those whom He loves. So Love disciplines those whom He loves.

Hebrews 12

6 FOR THOSE WHOM THE LORD LOVES HE DISCIPLINES,AND HE SCOURGES EVERY SON WHOM HE RECEIVES."

9 Furthermore, we had earthly fathers to discipline us, and we respected them; shall we not much rather be subject to the Father of spirits, and live?

10 For they disciplined us for a short time as seemed best to them, but He disciplines us for our good, so that we may share His holiness.

11 All discipline for the moment seems not to be joyful, but sorrowful; yet to those who have been trained by it, afterwards it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness.

Trinity

I haven't seen anyone in this forum or anywhere (including myself) who are perfect and have this kind of love.
    This is rare, but people with this kind of love exist. For me this is the most excellent road. Love is superior to any charismatic gifts, and according to Paul. A life without love is a wasted life and a total failure.

1 Corinthians 12:31
    And in any event, you should desire the most helpful gifts. First, however, let me tell you about something else that is better than any of them!

That is Love!

The golden rule that Jesus has commanded to follow. That was a commandment.

God is love and with the manifestation (radiance) of love into a good heart there is no need to be disciplined by HIM. Unless we are wearing masks.

There is no good life without comp***ion and thanksgiving.

Trinity
    Last edited by Trinity; 12-21-2008 at 09:46 PM.

sayso

This is rare, but people with this kind of love exist. For me this is the most excellent road. Love is superior to any charismatic gifts, and according to Paul. A life without love is a wasted life and a total failure.

1 Corinthians 12:31
    And in any event, you should desire the most helpful gifts. First, however, let me tell you about something else that is better than any of them!

That is Love!

The golden rule that Jesus has commanded to follow. That was a commandment.

God is love and with the manifestation (radiance) of love into a good heart there is no need to be disciplined by HIM. Unless we are wearing masks.

There is no good life without comp***ion and thanksgiving.

Trinity
    Trinity,

We seem to just be covering the same ground going in circles. None of us said that Love isn't the greatest of all gifts. It's nothing new. But the love describe in 1 Cor 13 is God's love. Yes it can be in us in as much as we allow God to live in us.

But.........

Our difference of opinion is concerning the definition of LOVE. You and I see through different eyes friend. We probably will not anytime soon agree, so perhaps we should agree to disagree. Your definition of love I don't believe fits with what the Bible teaches about love. Stating that you are to love others is not defining love. What is your definition of love?

I said, GOD IS LOVE

I said, GOD DISCIPLINES hence LOVE DISCIPLINES

LOVE REJOICES WITH THE TRUTH, it doesn't try to hide or deny the TRUTH.

The Bible says

GOD IS LOVE.

God is a jealous God.

God is at times angry.

God is a Holy God.

1 John 4

7 Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God.

8 The one who does not love does not know God, for God is love.

9 By this the love of God was manifested in us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world so that we might live through Him.

10 In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.

12 No one has seen God at any time; if we love one another, God abides in us, and His love is perfected in us.

13 By this we know that we abide in Him and He in us, because He has given us of His Spirit.

14 We have seen and testify that the Father has sent the Son to be the Savior of the world.

15 Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him, and he in God.

16 We have come to know and have believed the love which God has for us. God is love, and the one who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him.

17 By this, love is perfected with us, so that we may have confidence in the day of judgment; because as He is, so also are we in this world.

18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love.

19 We love, because He first loved us.

20 If someone says, "I love God," and hates his brother, he is a liar; for the one who does not love his brother whom he has seen, cannot love God whom he has not seen.

21 And this commandment we have from Him, that the one who loves God should love his brother also.

So have we established that God is love? Can we agree on that? If so then look at some of the words of "truth" that Jesus said that offended some people. Mostly He offended people by saying that HE IS I AM (the name the Jews knew God by), and by saying that "NO ONE COMES TO The Father except Through ME".

Was Jesus loving these people when He said, "Before Abraham existed, "I AM"?

Was He loving them when He called some of them "Brood of Vipers", and "whitewashed tombs"?

If GOD IS LOVE, and JESUS IS GOD, then JESUS IS LOVE TOO. So yes, He was speaking in love to these rebellious people.

Trinity

Hello Sayso,

Trinity,
    What is your definition of love?
    Any action or thought not motivated by the selfishness.

So have we established that God is love? Can we agree on that?
    We agree. And I want to practice lovable acts and not to listen to the selfishness of my genes.

If so then look at some of the words of "truth" that Jesus said that offended some people.
    I am not offended by you and I do not feel offended by you.

Was Jesus loving these people when He said, "Before Abraham existed, "I AM"?
    They were offended because they were prideful. I do not want to be prideful.

Was He loving them when He called some of them "Brood of Vipers", and "whitewashed tombs"?
    I am not a Pharisee. I accept the idea that people can think otherwise than me.

If GOD IS LOVE, and JESUS IS GOD, then JESUS IS LOVE TOO. So yes, He was speaking in love to these rebellious people.
    I also want to be lovable as Jesus and God. If people can be offended by me, I do not want to be the cause. I try to not be the cause. That comes from inside their heart, and not by mine.

Trinity

sayso

Hello Sayso,

Any action or thought not motivated by the selfishness.

GOD

We agree. And I want to practice lovable acts and not to listen to the selfishness of my genes.

Yes we agree that the world would be a much better place if we would all allow God to live in us and be as loving as He is.

I am not offended by you and I do not feel offended by you.

I'm glad. I am not offended by you either. That means we can have a discussion without accusations.

They were offended because they were prideful. I do not want to be prideful.

They may have been prideful but they mostly were offended because Jesus said, that He is GOD. They would not accept Him for who He is.

I am not a Pharisee. I accept the idea that people can think otherwise than me.

Pharisees were the religious people who loved their religion more than they loved God.

I also want to be lovable as Jesus and God. If people can be offended by me, I do not want to be the cause. I try to not be the cause. That comes from inside their heart, and not by mine.

Trinity
    I think what you say is true concerning that we ought not to be the cause of others being offended. But I don't believe it is right to compromise the truth in order to win the approval of others and avoiding their anger toward you.

I know a person who was offended simply by my presence in a room, although I didn't speak one word. In fact she was offended by someone saying my name in her presence.

This person "claims" to be a follower of Christ yet abused one of their own children. I disagreed with this person to her face, while the rest of her family and "friends" kept quiet to her face, while they talked about her behind her back.

Who was loving this person? Who was loving the child that was being abused? But wait, they weren't offending her so they had to be loving her, right?

I know others who "claim" to be Christian, yet cheat and lie and even steal from the very ones who love them. What is the loving thing to do in this instance?

I knew a man who sexually abused his three daughters. After his wife confided in us we helped her and her six children until they could arrest this man (who claimed to be a Christian) because they were deathly afraid of him. Later we found out that others had been alerted to this situation before but did nothing! Why? Because they were afraid of offending this very spiritual man.

I believe in absolutes. The Bible is full of them. There is absolute wrong and absolute right. Jesus is absolutely the Way, the Truth, and the Life and oh yeah He is love too. If it wasn't so He wouldn't have said it. There is no contradiction between love and truth.

There is an old saying that goes like this; a person who won't stand for something will likely fall for anything.

A New Churchman

Default My Definition of a Christian

I define a Christian as someone who believes that Jesus Christ is the One God of heaven and earth. A Christian believes that the old and new testaments are the Word of God. A Christian strives to abide by the Ten Commandments and the Two Great Commandments (love the Lord and your neighbor). A Christian strives to live a life of faith and charity in the process of regeneration so that he/she can abide in heaven to eternity after departing from this world.

Pro-Truth

A Christian is one who has become spiritually born again in Jesus Christ and has been placed into the eternal family of God. All born again Christians have (present tense) eternal life and will dwell with in God's Kingdom for all eternity.

A born again Christian is the only type of Christian.

SarahC

What is a Christian?

Romans 10:9-10 "That you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord,' and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved."

I think that about says it all This is one of my all time favorite answers to that age old question though http://www.monergism.com/thethreshol...te/whatis.html

aristotle

just to add my two cents worth here:

1) christians are 'people of the Way' which is what they were called before they were called christians. the Way is Christ.

2) christians are those who answer the call of Christ to 'follow Me and I will make you fishers of men'. we are disciplined followers of our Lord and God. we go where He goes, no matter what, leaving all behind.

3) christians are those to whom john 5:19 is our example. we can do nothing of ourselves but what we see Him doing and hear Him speaking. we recognize that we are unprofitable servants, we can do nothing of ourselves.

4) christians are those who know everything about their lives must be of Christ. all our possessions and relationships must come first through Him or they will not come with blessing. our truest destiny and fullest purpose is found in Him alone and no one, or thing, else.

though we are not perfect yet we are faithful to our Lord. we may not have attained yet we press onward to reach the prize of the upward call of Christ. we struggle and stumble yet we take hold of the hope which He took in with Himself into the Holy of Holies. a hope born up by an oath wrapped up in a promise by God Himself to give us encouragement. we are His peculiar people and nation called from the nations of the earth. sons and priests of the Most Holy God.

```aristotle

alanmolstad

Quote Originally Posted by GateKeeper View Post
    My view is that a Christian is one who understands the nature of God's Word (Love). ......

"understands the nature of God's word"?

Do we?