Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: This just in...

alanmolstad

Quote Originally Posted by Saxon View Post
    There is a total contradiction between creation and evolution.
    I invite you to be part of this conversation.

If you have a verse you think I need to look at?...then name it.

I also think if you review the few last posts you can be up to speed as to what we are talking about with the issues found in the Bible concerning the 4th day.

Please feel free to ask me any questions you might think of.

Saxon

I am attempting to show you what the bible actually says compared to what the Young Earther teachers tell us it says.

There are two theories, the young Earth folks and the Gap theorists. The Gap theory is interesting, but I lean towards the young earth.

I more or less dont try to tell people what the Text 'means", but rather in the beginning I just try to get people to open the Bible up to the story of Genesis and just stick to the text.
    You should try to tell people what the Text means. So we can see what it is that you want us to see. It is much easier on your readers if you spill your guts the first time around so we don’t have to rehash it over and over trying to ring information out of you so we can carry on a decent conversation.

Now when I say, "Genesis does not teach evolution..." lots of people that are against evolution will interrupt me and say, "Hah! you admit it!"
    I am not going to say, "Hah! you admit it!", I am going to say, If the Bible doesn’t teach it, what are you going on about extra-biblical tripe for?

But the point Im actually making to them is that while evolution is not clearly taught in the Bible, there is enough room within the words that are found in Genesis to allow for Evolution to be very true.

and....
    Don’t change your mind, evolution is not taught in the Bible at all. There is not a word in the Bible that even hints that evolution is true.

and I also point out to people that the teaching of Young Earth Creationism are NOT FOUND in the genesis Text at all !
    There is more young earth in the Bible that is directly from the text compared to the nothing of evolution that isn’t in the text. You want us to read the text, I want you to believe the text.

As I have already talked about, I attended an 8-week ORIGINS cl*** taught by the leading YEC teacher of our time, a Mr Ken Ham.
    I listen to everything the guy had to say.
    I heard all his teachings.
    I went over all his material.
    I became very up to date as far as what is the argument behind the Young Earth Creationist teachings.

So in other words.....There is nothing I need yet to see or read or hear that has not already been shown me, taught to me, or spoken to me from the best YEC teacher alive already!
    Lots of people I run into in church or on church forums like this one, that believe in the teachings of the YEC teachers, always have this idea that "Alan needs to read this"...or "Alan you need to look at this website"...or "Alan you need to get right with god"..etc,etc,etc...
    I don’t think that you need to get right with God, I think that you need to find out just what evolution teaches.

All I can tell you is that I have done my homework...I have put in the time to study this issue, and I have already listened to the same things from far better speakers and teachers...

I find all the teachings of the YEC to be in error.

I find even the best Young Earth teachers to be in error.

and yet......
    What, in your opinion, is the error?

and yet i must point out one more thing I have learned over the years on this topic.

I have learned that every once in a while I run into a guy who at first does disagree with me, but has the ability to see past his gut feelings about what im saying, and is able to open the Bible fresh......fresh and free of all the YEC hype....

And have a moment of "clarity".....

They will see things anew.

They will be able to read the Genesis story with a new and deeper understanding and appreciation of it.
    They soon come to the same conclusion that I have come to...and that is, that there is no anti-evolutionary arguments found in the Genesis account.
    The two works might not say the same things the same way, but they don't actually disagree either.
    When you arrive at a deeper understanding and it leads you away from God and scripture, you are digging the wrong hole and you will be buried in it. The Bible doesn't teach evolution because evolution is the corrupt idea from a corrupt mind.

If you would like, we can go over the Genesis text, verse by verse, and see how what we are reading does not in and of itself disagree with science and evolution?....

Or we can talk about a few of the ideas taught in YEC and how they compare to what the Bible says?...

Or if you have a few verses that you think I need to address?

Just let me know..
    You are the one that is trying to convince others, so it is up to you to do the convincing; just let me know.

alanmolstad

Quote Originally Posted by disciple View Post
    How could anyone suggest that the King of Kings has an ape in His ancestry?

dust......humans have dust in our history.
    the ground of the earth it teaches are where we are from.

When we read the creation story we see that when God created humans, He did not just clap his hands and we suddenly "popped" into existence from nothingness....

Rather we are made from the same "earth" that the animals (like the great apes you list) are also from.

The Earth is our "source material" if you will.

Saxon

Ok....

The first thing we need to deal with is the "light" issue in the genesis text.
    It was over this one issue that I did challenge the teacher Ken Ham on.

I remember at the time the ORIGINS cl*** he was teaching was dealing with the "light" and the fact that according to Ken Ham, God made a type of light at the start of genesis that had no known source.
    Then later Ken taught that God made the source for light on the 4th day, when the Bible says God made the sun and the moon.

I had a problem with this whole idea.
    The problem I had is that not one part of Ken's teachings were based on what the Bible was saying that I was reading!

Ken reads that God did not make a source for the light until day 4, so Ken's answer as to"Where was the light from" was to say that the light from the stars was made before the stars....and that this is also seen in a type of sourceless light talked about in the Book of Revelation.

However I noticed that the bible actually says something very different than that whole line of BS...

When I read Genesis I see at Genesis 1:1 that God creates the "Heavens" and while I know there are many meanings to the word "heavens" I do know for a fact that it can be talking about all the stars and our sun, and the moon, etc..

So when I read the story of genesis I never face the question, "Where is the source for the light?" because I have the source for the light created right at the start of the whole story!

This saves me from needing to invent a way to have light with no source...
    It saves me from needing to invent reasons...
    It saves me from needing to have a type of light that no one can point to today as being "just like it"

YEC type of "light" is not found in today's world.
    But the light I read about in Genesis is just the same normal light I see today..I can point to it and say, "There it is still"
    From this statement you show me that you have no concept of what Genesis teaches about light or the order of creation.

Genesis 1:3 is not referring to the creation of light but rather the introduction of THE Light to the new creation that was spoken into existence. See John 1:4 and 5 to see the source of light in Genesis 1:3. This light is very much in the world today. Jesus is the light of the world.

The same normal light you see today was created in Genesis 1:16 on the fourth day.

Genesis 1:3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

John 1:4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
    John 1:5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

Genesis 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.

alanmolstad

Quote Originally Posted by disciple View Post
    How could anyone suggest that the King of Kings has an ape in His ancestry?

dust......humans have dust in our history.
    the ground of the earth it teaches are where we are from.

When we read the creation story we see that when God created humans, He did not just clap his hands and we suddenly "popped" into existence from nothingness....

Rather we are made from the same "earth" that the animals (like the great apes you list) are also from.

The Earth is our "source material" if you will.

Saxon

If it wasn't for evolution why would you think that the days of creation were not 24 hour days?

Man was made on the sixth day, not over a six day period.

The seventh day was a day of rest, not a creation day. The Sabbath day is what that is referring to, a 24 hour day

The seventh day of Genesis is over. you are referring to what some call the 7 days of human history using the statement that one day is as a thousand years to the Lord. It may be a thousand years to the Lord but to us humans it is still 24 hours.

Saxon

I am available Sa****ay and Sunday from 1000 to 2200 (15 and 16 Aug 2015 Atlantic Standard Time). I hope you show up.

Saxon

your issues with the fourth day is as bogus as a three dollar bill.

Saxon

You are not a teacher on the forum, you are supposed to be engaging in conversation. How about a verse number so we don't have to play unnecessary guessing games with you?

Saxon

Explain how this has anything remotely related to evolution.

alanmolstad

you evols think man came from monkeys, but the Bible tells us that we are made in the image of god.

is that all it says?

What do you mean?

im asking if that is all the Bible tells us about how God made us?

The Bible tells us that we are made in the image of god, not in the image of an ape!

How nice,but I was reading in the Bible and I noticed something that i think is very relevant to this topic.
    What did you read?

I was reading at Genesis 2 that man is actually made of "dust"

Yes that it true.

So you believe that the Bible tells us that we are both made in the image of God, yet also made of dust?...is that what you believe the Bible is telling us?

Yes...God formed the made out of dust, and we are made in the image of god....so that totally destroys your idea that man evolved from a money.

Fine, fine, now so we both agree that the bible teaches that mad is made from the earth?

Er, what do you mean the earth?

I mean the ground of this planet,we are made from it?

I guess.

Good, so being made in the image of God does not mean that god could not have used the dust of the ground to make us out of then?

No, we are made in the image of god , but it is true also that we are made out of the dust of the ground of the earth.

Good, lets push on then to consider the animals.
    Are the animals made out of the earth too?

The animals are not made in the image of God, only man is.

Yes I get that, but are the animals made out of the same source material as humans according to the Bible?

Source material?

Well we have already traced back the story of the creation of humans to the earth itself, I just want to know if the creation of all the animals also cane be traced back to the earth itself....according to the Bible?

Well, it is true that God does command the earth to bring forth the animals, and it also does say clearly that God formed the animals out of the ground of the earth...so I guess humans and animals do share that in common with each other.

Great!

But animals are not made in the image of God!

Thats okay with me, I got no problem with that.
    So lets just back-up a moment and get straight what the Bible is teaching as to the origin of life, and what we see is that according to the Bible is that all life, both animal and human, is traced back to a single source, and that source is the earth itself?

I guess that is true, but only we are made in the image of God.

Ok, lets now consider if this is any different at all from what evolution teaches?

Its very different, for evolution teaches we came from monkeys.

Well, thats what a lot of people try to say evolution teaches, but I have to ask, "Is that it?"

What do you mean?

I mean did all human life simple "pop" into existence as a fully formed money that later evolved into a human according to the teaches of evolution?, or was there some evolution before the monkey part thats so popular?

Well I guess the money is said to have evolved too.

Yes, I think you are correct about that.
    I agree that according to the teachings of science and evolution we do see that there are earlyer forms of life that are said to have evolved into the "monkey" we always hear about.

So what?

So,I just was wondering, "What came before that?"

Before the money?

Well yes, but then what came before that?..and before that?...and before that?...just keep tracing the evolution of life back untill you get to what source?

Source?

Yes, what is the final source for life on the earth?
    What is life's start?...what are the very early smallest building blocks that would go on to evolve into life according to the teachings of evolution.

Well that would be the elements , minerals and stuff that went into the mix that came out later with a thing that was alive I would guess?

Thats a good answer....so, would you agree with me that the final evolutionary source for life on the earth according to the teachings of evolution would be the earth itself?

Yes,,,,I see what you are saying now, and that is correct, evolution will trace back all life to the source being the earth itself, but ast way different than what we read in the Bible...

is it?.....is it really?

Saxon

the light of the first day was not created but was exposed to the world being created. Jesus is the light of the world. Do you not comprehend?

The clouds didn't disappear until the flood in Noah's days.

John 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

John 1:4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

John 1:5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

alanmolstad

Bold type is the typical person that fully trusts the YEC teachers

Normal type = me

You evols think man came from monkeys, but the Bible tells us that we are made in the image of god.

is that all it says?

What do you mean?

im asking if that is all the Bible tells us about how God made us?

The Bible tells us that we are made in the image of god, not in the image of an ape!

How nice,but I was reading in the Bible and I noticed something that I think is very relevant to this topic.

What did you read?

I was reading in Genesis that man is actually made of "dust"

Yes that it true.

So you believe that the Bible tells us that we are both made in the image of God, yet also made of dust?...is that what you believe the Bible is telling us?

Yes...God formed the man out of dust, and we are made in the image of god....so that totally destroys your idea that man evolved from a money.

Fine, fine, now so we both agree that the bible teaches that man is made from the earth?

Er, what do you mean the earth?

I mean the ground of this planet,we are made from it?

I guess.

Good, so being made in the image of God does not mean that god could not have used the dust of the ground to make us out of then?

No, we are made in the image of god , but it is true also that we are made out of the dust of the ground of the earth.

Good, lets push on then to consider the animals.
    Are the animals made out of the earth too?

The animals are not made in the image of God, only man is.

Yes I get that, but are the animals made out of the same source material as humans according to the Bible?

Source material?

Well we have already traced back the story of the creation of humans to the earth itself, I just want to know if the creation of all the animals also cane be traced back to the earth itself....according to the Bible?

Well, it is true that God does command the earth to bring forth the animals, and it also does say clearly that God formed the animals out of the ground of the earth...so I guess humans and animals do share that in common with each other.

Great!

But animals are not made in the image of God!

Thats okay with me, I got no problem with that.
    So lets just back-up a moment and get straight what the Bible is teaching as to the origin of life, and what we see is that according to the Bible is that all life, both animal and human, is traced back to a single source, and that source is the earth itself?

I guess that is true, but only we are made in the image of God.

Ok, lets now consider if this is any different at all from what evolution teaches?

Its very different, for evolution teaches we came from monkeys.

Well, thats what a lot of people try to say evolution teaches, but I have to ask, "Is that it?"

What do you mean?

I mean did all human life simple "pop" into existence as a fully formed money that later evolved into a human according to the teaches of evolution?, or was there some evolution before the monkey part thats so popular?

Well I guess the monkey is said to have evolved too.

Yes, I think you are correct about that.
    I agree that according to the teachings of science and evolution we do see that there are earlyer forms of life that are said to have evolved into the "monkey" we always hear about.

So what?

So,I just was wondering, "What came before that?"

Before the monkey?

Well yes, but then what came before that?..and before that?...and before that?...just keep tracing the evolution of life back untill you get to what source?

Source?

Yes, what is the final source for life on the earth?
    What is life's start?...what are the very early smallest building blocks that would go on to evolve into life according to the teachings of evolution.

Well that would be the elements , minerals and stuff that went into the mix that came out later with a thing that was alive I would guess?

Thats a good answer....so, would you agree with me that the final evolutionary source for life on the earth according to the teachings of evolution would be the earth itself?

Yes,,,,I see what you are saying now, and that is correct, evolution will trace back all life to the source being the earth itself, but ast way different than what we read in the Bible...

Oh is it?.....is it really?
    Last edited by alanmolstad; 08-14-2015 at 04:32 PM.

Saxon

Your "mental" filter is what has you confused. God is the source for any light and Jesus is the first light in Genesis.

alanmolstad

Your "mental" filter is what has you confused. God is the source for any light and Jesus is the first light in Genesis.
    Saxon, if at any time you read something I have posted that you think the bible does not support?...just ask me to 'Back that up!"...."Show me a verse!" and I will be happy to drop back and supply a verse that supports anything I have said.

But as I dont see any requests yet to back up what i have posted so far...Im going to keep going and build on the post I just wrote above that shows a normal conversation I have had on this topic over the years...

Saxon

Anything that you say about evolution is not supported by the Bible. if you can't support your comments when you make them I am sure that you won't after the fact. Evolution says we came from lower creatures and the Bible says that God created us from the dust of the earth and breathed the breath of life into us. We did not evolve. Your ancestors may have been apes, mine were men that God created as men.

alanmolstad

Anything that you say about evolution is not supported by the Bible. if you can't support your comments when you make them I am sure that you won't after the fact. Evolution says we came from lower creatures and the Bible says that God created us from the dust of the earth and breathed the breath of life into us. We did not evolve. Your ancestors may have been apes, mine were men that God created as men.
    If you have a question or want me to look at a verse or two?...

But if not?
    well, then you don't have much to add to our conversation and I will return to just encouraging Disciple to toss a few ideas my way...

alanmolstad

I am available Sa****ay and Sunday from 1000 to 2200 (15 and 16 Aug 2015 Atlantic Standard Time). I hope you show up.
    I have never really learned why whenever I have free time on the weekends there simply are never any other people posting on the forum, yet the moment I go back on the road Monday morning and only have my silly cellphone to check the we, suddenly there are tons of new posts and all sorts of things I would love to be able to respond to but simply cant due to the limitations I face on the road.????

I cant say for sure where I will be this weekend, as I have to go do a Kendo armor sparing demonstration in a nearby town, but I can say and be very sure of the fact that I do check this forum for new posts many times a day on Sa****ay as I take little breaks from my chores.

alanmolstad

If it wasn't for evolution why would you think that the days of creation were not 24 hour days?

I have answered this question a few times already on this same topic so i dont want to bore people with the same drawn-out answer,but the short answer is that
    the writer of the Genesis story goes to great care to make sure we know for 100%that the first 6 days of the creation week have ended.
    However there are 7 days.....

and there is no ending in the story of genesis to the 7th day.

Nor is there an ending taught for the 7th day at any place in the Old test.

Noris there even a hint that the 7th day has ended at any point in the whole entire bible!

My "crazy" idea is that I simply dont add things to the Bible.

now in response to this many YEC teachers will try all kinds of reasons why what Im saying is not the truth.

They go after the 7th day,,,they try to turn that day into something other than being "a day"

They make it spiritual....
    they make it symbolic....
    they turn it inside out...
    they add a pile of unlisted things to it...

All this in the effort to make it not be the one thing it clearly is -
    "A Day"

Its a day with no listed ending.

If someone were to disagree with me?
    Fine, just point to the verse that teaches that the 7th Day of the Creation story has ended.

But you got no verse that clearly teaches that the 7th Day has ended?

Then dont ask me to tack-on an ending just on your say-so.....
    Last edited by alanmolstad; 08-15-2015 at 06:36 AM.

alanmolstad

The clouds didn't disappear until the flood in Noah's days.

Actuallywhat the Bible says is that the earth was created as a dead and dry world...Then a mist came up from underground and watered the whole earth.
    The verse I listed in *** 38 tells us that when the water that covered the earth in genesis came forth, it also wrapped the earth in thick darkness.

Notice that this is NOT talking about the story of the ark, but it tells us clearly that this is when God laid the foundations of the earth....(clearly the same moment in earth's history as the Creation story deals with)

The Bible tells us that the water that covered the earth in genesis "Burst forth"...this is a very good description of what science tells us really happened when water vapor came out via volcanic activity
    Last edited by alanmolstad; 08-15-2015 at 05:27 AM.

alanmolstad

How about a verse number so we don't have to play unnecessary guessing games with you?
    as times I may prefer to simply give rather questionable-foggy verse listings as a means to encourage the person Im talking to to feel that if they search on their own they may find that the verse Im pointing to does not teach what i say it does.

Other times I do list the clear verse and its location.

I guess its just a difference due only to the need I see the other person has to find the truth for themselves, and not their need to be "spoon-fed" by me...

alanmolstad

You should try to tell people what the Text means. So we can see what it is that you want us to see. It is much easier on your readers if you spill your guts the first time around so we don’t have to rehash it over and over trying to ring information out of you so we can carry on a decent conversation.

I see in the scriptures that Jesus would many times not simply tell people his ideas, but rather would ask the people he was talking to a question.
    The idea Christ had was that by asking people a question the people had to think for themselves a moment as they looked for the answer to the question Christ asked them..."Who do you say I am?"

This is one of the ways I use to show people the truth that YEC is all based on a big fat lie.

I will tell you a story:
    As I have said before I attended an 8-week cl*** taught by the world's leading Young Earth Teacher, a Mr Ken Ham.
    For all that time I sat in his cl*** listening, I never once bothered to ask a question.
    I just guessed that it was totally pointless...as he was the world's expert in this area and im just a normal Bible student.

Yet one day I heard something......

We were listening to Ken teach about the order of creation, when suddenly I heard something about "God created light first"
    That statement sparked me to raise my hand and ask the only question i ever asked in that whole cl***.
    I knew what i was hearing simply did not agree with what the Bible stated,,,and I knew I wanted to show the friends I had in the cl***with me that I had caught this world's most well known expert in YEC in a big fat lie....

But rather than simply standing up and denouncing the teachings I was hearing,and stating my counter ideas I asked, (more or less asked this) "You said that that the first thing created was the "light", but what does the bible say was the first thing God created "In the beginning"?

Later after cl*** a bunch of my friends came up to me and we talked about how I had pointed out a fatal flaw in Ken Ham's arguments....

You see all of Ham's argument is all based on the idea that God made light before he made a source for that light.
    This mind-set has cause all the other issues and all the other anti-science, and anti-evolution arguments to twist their way into the minds of Christians.

All because the YEC teachers think God made "light" before he made the "sun"

I just was able to point out with my one question to the whole cl*** that the Bible teaches that the first thing God made was the "Heavens" and as the sun is part of the heavens, as well as the moon, and the stars, we dont need to worry at all that we dont have a good light source!

The YEC teachers believe God made the light before he made the light source.

The Bible teaches that God made the source before it even talks about the light.

YEC Teachers need to fight against science and evolution only because they totally screwed up their attempt to read the simple words found in the Bible, and so they have had to add bits, and twist in a whole crazy way to light the earth.....all based on a mis-reading of the text.

I dont need to fight against science nor evolution..
    I just stick close to the words found in the text, and when i do I dont have any issues with how science teacher earth evolved life.

alanmolstad

I am not going to say, "Hah! you admit it!", I am going to say, If the Bible doesn’t teach it, what are you going on about extra-biblical tripe for?

Here is an experiment:

You and a friend stand on opposite sides of a room with some type of object in the middle of the room that you both are looking at.

The description you both have of the very same object will never be word for word the same.
    This is because you see one side of the object while you friend sees a totally different side of that same object.
    Your point of view is always going to be different.
    The same object can have different looking sides, and as you can only see the side turned your way, you will naturally describe the object with different words, different terms that your friend will use.

So you both are saying different things about the same object...so who is right?...you or your fiend?

The answer is that you both can be seen as being "correct" in that you are stating facts as they appear to you.

Science looks at earth's history, this is the very same history that I talk about in the Genesis story and at ***38.
    Same things are talked about....same issues....same historical events are being described.

But yet the words and terms that science will use are never going to be the very same words we find in the Bible.
    The point of view of both science and the Bible different.

Yet, what you find true is that the words found in the Bible, will harmonize with what science and evolution is teaching us.

Things can be different, sound very different, yet when placed next to each other are able to hold hands in union.

alanmolstad

What, in your opinion, is the error?

As far as I saw in the 8-week ORIGINS cl*** taught by Ken Ham personally to me and a small cl*** of my Bible student friends, the biggest error Ken and the rest of the YEC teachers make is that they feel the need to invent a "source" for the light first talked about on Day 1.

They feel trapped.....they look at the Text, see the creation of the light, and have to quickly find a way to have a light without any listed source.

This has caused the YEC teachers to come up with all kinds of answers as to where the light came from...
    Every time we went over both Day 1 and day 4 in the cl***, we had to once again hear the latest ideas from the minds of the YEc teachers as to how the earth could have light and yet there was no sun yet....

This points out the one thing I noticed about the YEC teachers and what they all have in common,,,they like to add to the Bible.

While most Christians would never want to be seen as adding words to the Bible given the warning in the book of Revelations against doing that very thing, yet the YEC teachers are openly adding words to the text as a means to maintain their ideas abut early earth history.

YEC teachers have no restraint when it comes to changing things as they appear in the Bible.....

By the time they have added enough to answer the question, "Where was the ight from?" they have gotten over the "hump" and no longer feel afraid to be guilty of adding words to the Bible to fit their ideas.

So, to sum up:
    The biggest error the YEC teachers make is that they dont stick to the text as its written, and misread what is written, and add things to the Bible to fix it to agree with YEC teachings.

all of this is due to the issue of the "light"

And that is why I really go after that topic to, for if I can show you that there is a listed normal source for all the light in the story of Genesis, then that helps people understand that there is no reason to feel the need to add things to the story.
    The light returns to being just "normal light"

No need to make it "special light"

No need to make it all "symbolic"

No need to make it all "so spiritual"

No need to invent a source for the light...

No need to make it out to be anything other than.........than what?............other than what the word that is written says it is!!!!!!!

The light....is...........light.

Its that simple.
    The light talked about is the very same light we see today....nothing has changed...

Thereis no need to make this so tricky......

Saxon

Your explanation of the light in Genesis 1:3 is not comparable with scripture. The light in Genesis 1:3 was NOT a creation but a revealing of THE light. Jesus is the light of the world.

Genesis 1:3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.