Thread: What is the Proper Attire? Christ is Visiting this Sunday

Richard

Default What is the Proper Attire? Christ is Visiting this Sunday

Message from the Pulpit, Important Guest Arriving Next Sunday, Will be here to Worship with Us and Have Personal Interviews.

I was driving down the coast of San Diego today, and was thinking about last Easter when my Brother and His wife invited us to their Christian Service.
    We admittedly had a wonderful time, all those whom we met were friendly and warm to us.

What I did notice was the casual attire of most those who attended that Easter Sunday, the large video screens hung from the ceiling and music of a younger generation greeted us as we sought out our seating. The sermon was full of love yet not what I would have expected from such a special day where in we celebrate Christ resurrection. The choir was dressed casually, and Hawaiian shirts and dress the norm. Bongo drums were used as background music to the singers and they were swaying and bouncing to the drums. Mostly younger families were in attendance with very few of the older generation. Afterwards we noted that Hamburgers and Hot Dogs awaited all, and a lively Softball Game was just starting.

Please I hope no one is finding fault with my description, for it was not meant to demean or take away from someone else's worship protocols. I am not mocking or ridiculing, but was honest in denoting that all were happy and eager to partake in the Worship that special Easter day. We were welcomed and invited to come back, and we thanked all for kindness they showed us.

Now my point, what if the pastor has announced that the following week, Jesus Christ was to appear and join in their worship activities, and afterwards enjoy in a one on one interview with each member?

What would be the appropriate Dress code, proper music, and activities of that coming Sunday? What would Christ say as he walked down the isle and sat behind the pulpit? Most likely nothing, for Christ would never embarr*** anyone or any Religion. I wonder though, would the congregation still arrive in casual clothes, or would they have spent a little more time in grooming and finding the best in attire they had. I wonder if they would change the venue of their normal worship, would there still be the Hamburger and Hot dogs, and regular softball game activities. Would the Bongo Drums be replaced with pianos, harps, and organ music, I wonder.

The personal interviews would be a special event in everyone's life. How would we have started that morning before we came to Church, most likely on our knees in deep repentant prayers. Now my Christian Friends, do not think for a second this would not apply to LDS Members also. We all would be on our best behavior, we would most likely show forth even more love for our neighbors, our friends and especially our families as never before.

We all need to be more reverent, more kind, more accepting as we begin to realize that these are the last days, and Christ our Savior will soon return, are we prepared or are we just participating. Interesting thoughts as I drove down the Coast of San Diego.

Happy Easter to all.

Last edited by Richard; 04-11-2009 at 05:44 PM.

dfoJC

And a Happy Resurrection Day to you as well Richard.

You and I had this sort of discussion once over at CC, it was a long time ago!

Anyway, my thought is this in regards to our Lord visiting us on Sunday.

The promise of God is that "whenever two or three are gathered together in His Name, there He is in their midst." I believe this because it has happened time after time in life.

I understand your question of what would the relevant dress, music etc be. However, we know that God does not look at the outward, but our hearts. This is of supreme importance.

At our "house" we simply expect that Jesus will show up. That is, we have the faith that He will, there is no reason to doubt, as He has given us a promise, and you know, He always, always fulfills His promises...

When He does show up, the response is so varied, some kneel, others are standing with eyes shut and just enjoying His amazing presence. And always, always, there is a life changed, a burden lifted or one is brought into loving relationship with the Father, you know when He shows up, He is absolutely irresistible. You know, it could be described as Heaven coming to earth.....

So Richard, I understand your perspective I think. Thank you for sharing, I trust my response brings understanding to those who read, and glory to the one and only Eternal Wise God, Yahweh Jireh. He who sees....

dfoJC
    (aka, 4theking)

Fig-bearing Thistle

Quote Originally Posted by dfoJC View Post
    And a Happy Resurrection Day to you as well Richard.

You and I had this sort of discussion once over at CC, it was a long time ago!

Anyway, my thought is this in regards to our Lord visiting us on Sunday.

The promise of God is that "whenever two or three are gathered together in His Name, there He is in their midst." I believe this because it has happened time after time in life.

I understand your question of what would the relevant dress, music etc be. However, we know that God does not look at the outward, but our hearts. This is of supreme importance.

At our "house" we simply expect that Jesus will show up. That is, we have the faith that He will, there is no reason to doubt, as He has given us a promise, and you know, He always, always fulfills His promises...

When He does show up, the response is so varied, some kneel, others are standing with eyes shut and just enjoying His amazing presence. And always, always, there is a life changed, a burden lifted or one is brought into loving relationship with the Father, you know when He shows up, He is absolutely irresistible. You know, it could be described as Heaven coming to earth.....

So Richard, I understand your perspective I think. Thank you for sharing, I trust my response brings understanding to those who read, and glory to the one and only Eternal Wise God, Yahweh Jireh. He who sees....

dfoJC
    (aka, 4theking)
    Speaking of dress, I personally feel more respectful and reverential in some clothes more than in others. If all I possessed were tattered jeans and a dirty old T shirt, though, I think God would understand and not smite me for it.

AllyManderson

I always wear a white shirt black suit and well polished size 11 shoes.

However, I normally have a crazy tie around my neck. This can range from a tie of the football team I support to one with a cartoon drawing.

But it doesn't matter. Turn up in your bathrobe if you please.

Libby

I am probably not very "orthodox LDS" on this subject. I have always wished that LDS services could be just a bit more casual. I don't mean sloppy jeans and t-shirt casual, but I do believe it should be okay for women to wear nice dress pants or pantsuits. I really hate wearing dresses and usually only do on Sunday. I just don't think, if I showed up in my pantsuit that I would feel any less respect for God. It's been sort of a pet peeve of mine. On the other end of the spectrum, though, I have seen attire in church that I thought was very inappropriate...usually because it was not modest enough. That bothers me just as much.

But, God is the only judge who counts, so my "judgments" could be way off...and I try not to spend a lot of time in that mindset.

anita

Richard , I worship God in jeans. I think he is looking at our hearts not our outfits. I hate hate hate wearing dresses and pantyhose. i feel so self concious in a dress. In my jeans I can get on my knees and pray without anything riding up. i think this is one place the lds church is dead wrong. Infact it has been so long since i bought a dress that it keeps me from attending the lds church. today i went shopping for easter i found a cute skirt and a top. with shoes 170.00. I bought instead, a pair of pants for 10.00 on sale and a shirt for 27.00. already own the shoes. Pluss I can wear the out fit again and again. you guys don't wear anything different but a tie. just my opinon,

Some Christian churches are informal, some are formal, but things have definitely changed since I was a little girl. Back then, dresses were the unspoken rule. Today, people pretty much wear what they like and most churches are okay with that, providing it's decent. Down South, though, it's a bit more formal.

Honestly, I think it falls under Paul's discussion of meat offered to idols.

1 Corinthians 8:8

"But meat commendeth us not to God: for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat not, are we the worse."

What we wear doesn't win us any points with God: whether we dress up or dress down--it's no better or worse in His eyes.
    How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God. 1 John 3:1

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by anita View Post
    Richard , I worship God in jeans. I think he is looking at our hearts not our outfits. I hate hate hate wearing dresses and pantyhose. i feel so self concious in a dress. In my jeans I can get on my knees and pray without anything riding up. i think this is one place the lds church is dead wrong. Infact it has been so long since i bought a dress that it keeps me from attending the lds church. today i went shopping for easter i found a cute skirt and a top. with shoes 170.00. I bought instead, a pair of pants for 10.00 on sale and a shirt for 27.00. already own the shoes. Pluss I can wear the out fit again and again. you guys don't wear anything different but a tie. just my opinon,
    I appreciate all the different opinions, and like I tried to point out, this was not meant to be judgmental of anyone or anyones religion. Casual or dressed up, Christ will not ever embarr*** one of his Children. But I feel that the most highest respect is due the one who died and was resurrected for us. My point was and still is, what would you change if you knew Christ was going to be at your next worship service and you would have a personal interview with Him. I am old fashioned and have always wore a suit and tie, along with a white shirt. If performing a Priesthood Ordinance and time allows, I will always go home and change into my best clothes. Attending the Temple is the same, I dress with due respect for the event that I am attending, and in mind of the sacredness of that evening or day to be with the Lord. I'm reminded of Moses, who out of respect and also the command of Christ, took off his sandals in knowledge that he was walking on Holy Ground.

We pray with head bowed, and at times on our knees, giving the respect due one who loves us all unconditionally. Phrasing the Lord, I believe is giving all we have in honor and respect, at all times.

Just my thoughts one wonderful day, traveling down the Coast of San Diego, "aw, right there on the left is the Temple of God", magnificent and splendid as the sun reflects it's rays off the
    Angel Moroni, guarding the House of the Lord as he sounds the trumpet of the Restoration of Christ Kingdom here again on the earth for the last time.

Richard.

Libby

"aw, right there on the left is the Temple of God", magnificent and splendid as the sun reflects it's rays off the
    Angel Moroni, guarding the House of the Lord as he sounds the trumpet of the Restoration of Christ Kingdom here again on the earth for the last time.
    That is a most gorgeous Temple. I have not been in it, but hope to, someday.

anita

all I know for sure is that God talks to me the most when I am driving. usually in casual clothes. Personally I think he'd like levis.

Libby

Good point, Anita!

alanmolstad

I could never join a church with a dress code....
    and......they would not have me anyway.

alanmolstad

Quote Originally Posted by Fig-bearing Thistle View Post
    Speaking of dress, I personally feel more respectful and reverential in some clothes more than in others. If all I possessed were tattered jeans and a dirty old T shirt, though, I think God would understand and not smite me for it.
    Fig makes a good point.
    it is true that you can find some clothes that just simply put you in a mood for worship more than others..
    With Fig Im sure it was his sunday best....

mine on the other hand?...well....

I have other "clothes" that I wear during my meditations...

Im in a good mood tonight, so I will let TheWay out of my dog house....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by alanmolstad; 03-21-2014 at 06:31 PM.