Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Ultimate Catholic Idol

vladimir998

Default KP fails to read

KP,

You wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckypreacher View Post
    Yeah, right...and the Israelites didn't worship (adore, give latria) to the golden calf, huh?
    No, the Israelites did. Catholics don't.

Read what I wrote again:

"An IDOL is a man-made thing that is worshipped."

Was the Golden Calf a man-made thing that was worshipped? You betcha.

"Catholics do not worship (adore, give latria) to statues or paintings. Hence, no idol worship."

Exactly. Remember, God told us that the Israelites considered the object to be a god and worshipped it. Exodus 32 tells us:

"Up, make us gods, who shall go before us..."

"These are your gods, O Israel, who brought you up out of the land of Egypt!"

"When Aaron saw this, he built an altar before it; and Aaron made proclamation and said, "Tomorrow shall be a feast to The Lord."

"Go down; for your people, whom you brought up out of the land of Egypt, have corrupted themselves; they have turned aside quickly out of the way which I commanded them; they have made for themselves a molten calf, and have worshiped it and sacrificed to it, and said, 'These are your gods, O Israel, who brought you up out of the land of Egypt!'" (Exodus 32:1-8 RSV)

We don't worship Golden Calfs. We don't worship any idols at all and never have.

Illya_Kuryakin

Yeah, right...and the Israelites didn't worship (adore, give latria) to the golden calf, huh?
    No they actually did, that is why they were condemned. Catholics no more give latria to saints, paintings and Mary then Americans give the flag when they put their hands over their hearts and say the pledge of allegiance.

Illya

kentuckypreacher

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Illya_Kuryakin View Post
    No they actually did, that is why they were condemned. Catholics no more give latria to saints, paintings and Mary then Americans give the flag when they put their hands over their hearts and say the pledge of allegiance.

Illya
    Whenever I see an American prostrate before, or on bended knee, and praying to the flag, I'll wonder what he's up to!

vladimir998

Whenever I see an American prostrate before, or on bended knee, and praying to the flag, I'll wonder what he's up to!
    How about a man kneeling on one knee to ask his girlfriend to marry him?

kentuckypreacher

If he prays to her, he's already in trouble before the marriage even begins.

kentuckypreacher

Vlad - come on, now! Every non-Catholic reacts with suspicion (at the least) or outright horror to the pagan-esque and idolatrous practices in Romanism. In this country, perhaps, such is not as apparent in its more grotesque forms - but we have all seem examples in foreign countries of men bowing themselves to the idols of wood and stone.

Biblically, such is indefensible.

tealblue

Here is the difference. Catholics do not worship the statue as an idol. God never forbade images because he commanded moses to do the very same thing. The very same thing(arc of covenant) that he was asked to place the ten commandments. The reason why non-Catholics react this way is because of being taught that way. Imagine how people react when they find out the earth is round. Things like the eucharist, saint intercession, Mary, and statues are scrary to many non catholics because it is a foreighn idea and its not specific enough in scripture. You worship on sunday, celebrate easter, christmas, and accept the cannon of scripture. These are nowhere to be found in scripture but you accept them. You accept many Catholic traditions and don't even know it.

kentuckypreacher

I observe NO Catholic "traditions." Clear?

tealblue

I'm ***uming that you don't worship on Sunday, celebrate easter, celebrate christmas, believe in the trinity, Baptize in the name of Father, son and holy spirit or use the new testement canon. All of these are Catholic traditions and CAN'T be believed using ONLY the bible. Many scholars admit that Matt 29:18 was a later addition from the original text due to doctrinal reasons. If you go by bible alone and go by the fact that the original text probably was simply Baptize in my name then you would baptize that way going by bible alone.

kentuckypreacher

Default No Catholic observances!

Quote Originally Posted by tealblue View Post
    I'm ***uming that you don't worship on Sunday, celebrate easter, celebrate christmas, believe in the trinity, Baptize in the name of Father, son and holy spirit or use the new testement canon. All of these are Catholic traditions and CAN'T be believed using ONLY the bible. Many scholars admit that Matt 29:18 was a later addition from the original text due to doctrinal reasons. If you go by bible alone and go by the fact that the original text probably was simply Baptize in my name then you would baptize that way going by bible alone.
    I worship on Sunday because the New Testament tells me to (Acts 20:7) I don't celebrate Easter or Christmas. The New Testament teaches us about the godhead, baptizing, and God's preserved Word.

So I stand by what I said: I don't observe any Roman Catholic traditions.

tealblue

I mean acts 20:7 isn't really a command to worship on sunday. It just says they gathered on the first day of the week to break bread. You really think that christians would change a day of worship based on paul saying this? Yes it may be an indication after the fact but I wouldn't say this is a proof text. You look at the new testement cannon. It was the council of Carthage and Hippo that ratified which books belonged here. There is alot of writings that didn't make it in. If christians today had to pick throught the over 200 writings I highly doubt that everyone would come up with the same 27 books. The very fact that Matt, Mark, Luke and John are named what they are is also through tradition. These books don't self identify. Most people I talk to believe that the holy spirit guided the asembly of the 27 book new testement cannon. If thats true it was guided by the Catholic church. Some of the oldest New Testement copies from the 4th century are held at the vatican.

AwGusTeen

I worship on Sunday because the New Testament tells me to (Acts 20:7) I don't celebrate Easter or Christmas. The New Testament teaches us about the godhead, baptizing, and God's preserved Word.

So I stand by what I said: I don't observe any Roman Catholic traditions.
    Do you accept the canon of the New Testament? If so, then how can you disregard all "Romish" traditions on the one hand, yet on the other tacitly accept the Church's authority to set the canon that you yourself use?

Further, what about pagan traditions - do you recognize any of those? If you wear a wedding band then you most certainly do!

Just FYI:The name "Roman Catholic Church" is technically incorrect - the proper name is the "Catholic Church of the Roman Rite." There are many others rites as well.

† Pax †

alanmolstad

we are not under the Old testament law.

As Christians we are not bound under the OT laws.
    So all of this back and forth over the question of who is or is not breaking an OT law is just a moot point.