Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I've been visiting a few Christian boards...

Russ

Default I've been visiting a few Christian boards...

Posted a few pages from Mormon Doctrine, Gospel Principles, Teachings of the Prophet Joseph, Achieving a Celestial Marriage, and even some pages from LDS.org, thanks to LDS posters here.

Just wanted to say, "Thank You!"

Christians around the world had no idea that:

Jesus is the brother of Satan.

God is married.

Tokens are required for eternal life.

Mormons believe they'll become Gods over their own planet(s).

Etc.

P.S. Why do you think they've never heard?

Russ

Default I think I know

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    P.S. Why do you think they've never heard?
    I think I know why they've never heard.

"Mormonism creates a situation where potential converts of Mormonism do not have a fair chance to properly ***ess the ultimate teachings of Mormonism before deciding to join the LDS Church." -Hick Preacher

Until you get straight up honest and forthcoming regarding the details of your "church," people will always view you suspiciously.

nrajeff

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I've been visiting a few Christian boards...
    Posted a few pages from Mormon Doctrine, Gospel Principles, Teachings of the Prophet Joseph, Achieving a Celestial Marriage, and even some pages from LDS.org, thanks to LDS posters here.

--You are correct: If you went to the sources of Mormon Doctrine, Gospel Principles, Teachings of the Prophet Joseph, Achieving a Celestial Marriage, and even some pages from LDS.org, then you DID visit a few Christian boards. Too bad you feel a need to also visit CLDS boards and continue your Pharisee-like attacks and accusations.

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by nrajeff View Post

--You are correct: If you went to the sources of Mormon Doctrine, Gospel Principles, Teachings of the Prophet Joseph, Achieving a Celestial Marriage, and even some pages from LDS.org, then you DID visit a few Christian boards. Too bad you feel a need to also visit CLDS boards and continue your Pharisee-like attacks and accusations.
    No, really, Christians have questions!

When I show them pages from your leaders, they just can't believe their eyes.

Especially this one:

Gods over their own planets? Are they serious?

I tell them, "This is what Mormons mean by 'families are forever.'"

It causes grave concern.

P.S. You know what confuses me?

I don't know why you're not pleased as punch that I'm helping to spread the gospel according to Mormonism. ;-)

archaeologist

Christians around the world had no idea that
    sadly, most churches do not educate their young or their older members in many fields of study and are so compromised with the secular world that they are without a clue of the dangerous ideas that lurk out there.

i have seen it on this board as well.

Berean

What's even more sad is when there are opportunities available in Christian churches to learn about these things they simply aren't interested and don't care. The majority of Christendom has written off the Mormons and JW's along with many other false religions and views the people in these false religions as "unreachable", "hard cases", "beyond hope".

I teach Christian apologetics and do ministry outreach to the Mormons and JW's here where I live. My pastor has called numerous churches and has tried to get them to have a cl*** at their church on equipping Christians to reach the cults and none of these pastors are even interested. They aren't interested because their people aren't interested.
    Last edited by Berean; 03-18-2010 at 10:20 PM. Reason: left out a word

archaeologist

What's even more sad is when there are opportunities available in Christian churches to learn about these things they simply aren't interested and don't care. The majority of Christendom has written off the Mormons and JW's along with many other false religions and views the people in these false religions as "unreachable", "hard cases", "beyond hope".
    it is sad to hear that.

I teach Christian apologetics and do ministry outreach to the Mormons and JW's here where I live. My pastor has called numerous churches and has tried to get them to have a cl*** at their church on equipping Christians to reach the cults and none of these pastors are even interested. They aren't interested because their people aren't interested.
    glad to hear you are doing that, thoughi would say thatthe church people are not interested because the pastor is not interested.

there was an old saying when i was in undergrad college: as the pastor goes so goes the church.

i think that part of your problem comes from other pastors, who want to teach their charges, their way.

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by Berean View Post

I teach Christian apologetics and do ministry outreach to the Mormons and JW's here where I live. My pastor has called numerous churches and has tried to get them to have a cl*** at their church on equipping Christians to reach the cults and none of these pastors are even interested. They aren't interested because their people aren't interested. I did teach a summer series at a church last summer on Mormonism. The church has about 2,000 people attending. Eight people showed up for the cl*** and all but two of them actually stayed around to the end. I guess they were expecting a show and tell where I would pull out LDS garments and show them and then demonstrate the secret handshakes done in the temple. When they discovered that we were going to be looking seriously at Bible Scripture in comparison to what Joseph Smith stated in the King Follet Discourse regarding the nature of God, well, they were bored and didn't want to take the time to learn what Mormonism believes in an attempt to reach them.
    Same thing all over. Dwindling interest in cults.

Christians are largely becoming apathetic to the cults. Many are becoming more interested in the "feel good" gospel that people like Joel Olsteen are bringing. There's nothing wrong with feeling good about one's self and feeling GREAT about Jesus. The watered-down, feel-good, pop gospel preachers, however, are straying far from biblical Christianity.

I invited Andy Poland of Concerned Christians to do a Sa****ay seminar at my church last year. Not many showed up. About 20. Those that did, sat riveted for three straight hours.

Andy first presented his own journey into and out of Mormonism. That got 'em interested. REAL interested. Andy is an interesting guy. His journey is interesting.

Then he answered questions for two hours.

Not one person even got up to go to the bathroom.

It was that good.

If you're planning another go, bring Andy. He's like, wow.

Berean

Yeah, you're probably right about the pastors being the problem. This one church had several pastors on staff and they were all clueless on Mormonism. Here in Las Vegas we have around 110,000 Mormons (according the LDS Church News). I told this pastor the first day that I was there that we, the body of Christ, have two choices: wise up and equip ourselves as we should (1 Pet 3:15) and reach the Mormon people or disobey the Great Commission and bury our heads in the sand wishing it would all just go away. Needless to say, neither he or the other staff members came to the cl***. What was more puzzling to me is why they even asked me to come there if they really didn't care anything about it anyway. My pastor told me it was probably something positive they were hoping to add to their church resume that they offered this kind of curriculum. That made me even more sick.

Compinche

Yeah, you're probably right about the pastors being the problem. This one church had several pastors on staff and they were all clueless on Mormonism. Here in Las Vegas we have around 110,000 Mormons (according the LDS Church News). I told this pastor the first day that I was there that we, the body of Christ, have two choices: wise up and equip ourselves as we should (1 Pet 3:15) and reach the Mormon people or disobey the Great Commission and bury our heads in the sand wishing it would all just go away. Needless to say, neither he or the other staff members came to the cl***. What was more puzzling to me is why they even asked me to come there if they really didn't care anything about it anyway. My pastor told me it was probably something positive they were hoping to add to their church resume that they offered this kind of curriculum. That made me even more sick.
    What church do you attend in Las Vegas?

Berean

The field even gets smaller with those that do attend because the vast majority don't want to do anything in the form of outreach to the cults outside of the church doors. I recently taught a cl*** at my church for two months on the Watchtower Society. Our church runs about 300 in attendance. Around 15-20 showed up for the cl*** weekly and it stayed that way the whole way through. However, once the cl*** was over I couldn't get anyone to go the next step in joining me in outreach work even if it meant just sitting at their home doing blogging along with further reading or study. Maybe they are just too scared among other things. Maybe I shouldn't have told them about some of my witnessing encounters or what a meeting is like at the Kingdom Hall or the LDS ward!

archaeologist

Either your pastor is right or they were just too busy and felt you were helping them in an area they could not deal with themselves. yes i am giving them the benefit of the doubt as i do not want to be harsh, it is sad that they are this way and you may have to go down to the bible college level and teach there so they are informed before they get to their churches.

The field even gets smaller with those that do attend because the vast majority don't want to do anything in the form of outreach to the cults outside of the church doors. I recently taught a cl*** at my church for two months on the Watchtower Society. Our church runs about 300 in attendance. Around 15-20 showed up for the cl*** weekly and it stayed that way the whole way through. However, once the cl*** was over I couldn't get anyone to go the next step in joining me in outreach work even if it meant just sitting at their home doing blogging along with further reading or study. Maybe they are just too scared among other things. Maybe I shouldn't have told them about some of my witnessing encounters or what a meeting is like at the Kingdom Hall or the LDS ward!
    Today 04:46 PM
    or maybe, God has a different way to use the knowledge they have gained and it doesn't mean that everyone will join you in the method God wants you to use.

they may not be spiritually ready for such encounters. what you should be focusing on is that you have prepared them in some way and instead of discouraging yourself by looking atthe negative, look at what God has acomplished and keep your eyes on Him to work the rest.

Compinche

Archaeologist,

Would you mind changing your forum display to 'Hybrid' instead of 'Linear'? Your posts get put into lines of threads that do not follow that particular conversation. That way your respnse will be in the conversation it was meant. Thanks!

archaeologist

sorry but i am using the default option and have made no changes to it and will not make any changes to it.

Compinche

I sent you that information in a private email. I would have appreciated your returning the same courtesy but you didn't. I don't appreciate your doing that.
    Well, if your church is focused on turning away Mormons, why would you keep your church a secret on a Mormon forum?

Unlike you, I am not anonymous. That is posted on the front our website because out church is serious about reaching the LDS people and people are people with their lack of attention. Our beliefs are listed under Baptist Faith and Message.
    The point is, before seeing your 'Baptist Faith and Message', one sees what you are AGAINST! So the order of importance in your church seems to be:

1) To be against Mormons
    2) To be for Baptists

Nobody is attacking anyone...get over it and wise up.
    When your church's website promotes being against Mormonism as their FIRST line of links, and then it links to thw website MRM.org which is solely dedicated to tearing down the LDS faith, one might see that as an attack on someone else's faith.

I'm unsympathetic to people with their persecution complex.
    Dunno about you, but I don't feel persecuted at all. You call it contending for the faith. I call what you stand for being against another religion more than being for your own. I just find it funny that you seem to be complaining that your church will not get serious about fighting against the LDS church, yet that is the first thing your church's website wants people to see!

Our city is flooded by LDS missionaries and they attend Central Christian among other churches. What are they doing? That's right...stealing the sheep with false claims about who they are and what they believe.
    Great! Come to an LDS church service and try to steal away the members. You should check out www.lds.org and see how many links there are on the front page about other people's beliefs.

Compinche

Quote Originally Posted by archaeologist View Post
    sorry but i am using the default option and have made no changes to it and will not make any changes to it.
    *Rawr*!!! LOL

Whatever. I'm just trying to help you out so that your posts don't keep getting shuffled into different lines of dialogue. Your responses don't follow in the line of thought of the thread and it makes it difficult for people to follow what your responses are going to.

But if you are stuck in your ways, so be it.

archaeologist

that is your opinion and for future references, do not address me again.

Compinche

Quote Originally Posted by archaeologist View Post
    that is your opinion and for future references, do not address me again.
    No, really, it isn't an opinion. When you post in a linear mode you are responding to the last post of the thread. If the last post is talking about something indirectly related to the OP then your response might not be understood and out of order of thought.

Just trying to help you.

For future reference, if you want to not read my posts, you can apply the ignore feature and all my responses will not be visible to you. See? Always trying to help you!

Berean

Compinche,

Typical LDS spin on what is NOT the motive of my church and myself. Anyone with the ability to read can read what is written on our website and see the tone and message to the Mormons for what it is: love and concern. I have nothing to hide. You missed the point - when I answer your question in a private email I ***umed (obviously wrong) that courtesy would be returned by keeping it in that venue. That is why that option is available on this format. Learn the difference. If I wanted to give a link to my church's website I will do it in my own profile. I reported the post so I'll let the mods do what they want with your unclever trickery.

Compinche

Compinche,

Typical LDS spin on what is NOT the motive of my church and myself. Anyone with the ability to read can read what is written on our website and see the tone and message to the Mormons for what it is: love and concern. I have nothing to hide. You missed the point - when I answer your question in a private email I ***umed (obviously wrong) that courtesy would be returned by keeping it in that venue. That is why that option is available on this format. Learn the difference. If I wanted to give a link to my church's website I will do it in my own profile. I reported the post so I'll let the mods do what they want with your unclever trickery.
    Awwww....I'm sorry you feel persecuted, Berean. You boasted about how 'ulike me you aren't anonymous'. But yet you are whining that I posted your church's website on the board?? LOL....Are you ashamed? Don't you find it interesting that your church's home page has a link to what's wrong with Mormonism BEFORE what's right with its OWN beliefs?! That's hilarious!

It's no unclever trickery to question in public your church's website that you gave me in private. Besides, truth be told I had the website before you gave it to me. Googled "First Baptist Church Las Vegas"....first hit. Saw the Mormonism link, clicked on it out of interest, saw your name there. Doesn't take a genius or trickery.

Compinche

Compinche,

I have nothing to hide. You missed the point - when I answer your question in a private email I ***umed (obviously wrong) that courtesy would be returned by keeping it in that venue. That is why that option is available on this format. Learn the difference.
    Your church's website states (under the Mormonism section) "We look forward to ministering to you and answering any questions that you may have. Nothing is done in secret here and all questions are welcomed."

I had a question for you; why are you guys against LDS before being FOR your own beliefs? Your church told me nothing is done in secret so I'm asking here.

Berean

Quote Originally Posted by Compinche View Post
    Awwww....I'm sorry you feel persecuted, Berean. You boasted about how 'ulike me you aren't anonymous'. But yet you are whining that I posted your church's website on the board?? LOL....Are you ashamed? Don't you find it interesting that your church's home page has a link to what's wrong with Mormonism BEFORE what's right with its OWN beliefs?! That's hilarious!

It's no unclever trickery to question in public your church's website that you gave me in private. Besides, truth be told I had the website before you gave it to me. Googled "First Baptist Church Las Vegas"....first hit. Saw the Mormonism link, clicked on it out of interest, saw your name there. Doesn't take a genius or trickery.
    I don't feel persecuted nor am I ashamed. I have nothing to be ashamed of. Let me spell it out for you, okay? I am not the webmaster and I am not the pastor of the church. I am well within my parameters to give the church website to an individual such as yourself in the venue that I did. However, I don't have permission from the pastor to be giving out the church website on this kind of venue. My pastor may not want the church website being thrown around on a blog like this.

My church has its doctrinal statment "Baptism Faith and Message" listed right there in the index with all the other headlines. What is your complaint? It wasn't the first listing? Grow up and discuss something of relevance. There is no issue with our beliefs...no problems whatsoever. We hold to sound doctrine and rely on the Bible totally and completely as the guide for our Faith. My concern is with the Mormons in this town who don't know what they believe, are confused and have been led astray by the biggest false prophet this side of the equator - Joseph Smith.

Compinche

I don't feel persecuted nor am I ashamed. I have nothing to be ashamed of. Let me spell it out for you, okay? I am not the webmaster and I am not the pastor of the church. I am well within my parameters to give the church website to an individual such as yourself in the venue that I did. However, I don't have permission from the pastor to be giving out the church website on this kind of venue. My pastor may not want the church website being thrown around on a blog like this.
    A website on the internet is public. I've never met someone who was concerned that their church website might not be wanted to go out to the m***es, especially in a forum devoted to those your church feels are lost souls. Maybe you can ask your pastor to put a disclaimer on the website that states they do not want it shown to people they believe are not chosen sheep.

My church has its doctrinal statment "Baptism Faith and Message" listed right there in the index with all the other headlines. What is your complaint? It wasn't the first listing? Grow up and discuss something of relevance. There is no issue with our beliefs...no problems whatsoever. We hold to sound doctrine and rely on the Bible totally and completely as the guide for our Faith. My concern is with the Mormons in this town who don't know what they believe, are confused and have been led astray by the biggest false prophet this side of the equator - Joseph Smith.
    Not just that it is first on the list, but the mere fact it is listed at all. Kind of a funny thing to put on a church's website - a section devoted to pointing out that church's bias opinions of why another specific religion is wrong.

I'm glad you are not ashamed. I have a question for you. It's in the thread en***led "Clean Your Own House First."

Compinche

Let me spell it out for you, okay? I am not the webmaster and I am not the pastor of the church. I am well within my parameters to give the church website to an individual such as yourself in the venue that I did. However, I don't have permission from the pastor to be giving out the church website on this kind of venue. My pastor may not want the church website being thrown around on a blog like this.
    BTW, let me spell it out for you too. When you told me what your church's name was, I had already googled, found, and was reading the LDS stuff before you linked me to it.

So you can take it up with google if you don't like the fact that your church's website is the first hit when searched and then talk to your pastor about putting a copyright on the site that doesn't allow it to be linked to message boards filled with potential winnable souls for your church.

Berean

Quote Originally Posted by Compinche View Post
    Your church's website states (under the Mormonism section) "We look forward to ministering to you and answering any questions that you may have. Nothing is done in secret here and all questions are welcomed."

I had a question for you; why are you guys against LDS before being FOR your own beliefs? Your church told me nothing is done in secret so I'm asking here.
    We are not against the LDS people. We are for them because we care for the welfare of their souls. What I am against are the teachings of the LDS Church which is a false gospel, believes in a false "jesus" and a counterfeit "spirit". The god of Mormonism is the figment of Joseph Smith's imagination as revealed in the King Follet Discourse. His famous sermon on the nature of God can't be reconciled with God's Word - the Bible.

I love the Mormon people...enough to have invested years of my life in the study of it and in attempts to reach out to them. You are free to choose/believe anything that you wish. Agency, right? There are Mormons out there that are having serious issues with the teachings of your church and are not able to question what is going on. I know that first hand after having sat in many Gospel Essentials cl***es where most people were afraid to ask a question. I've listened to the accounts from the ex-Mormons at my church who were hoodwinked on the "finer" points of Mormonism until they were about two to three years into when they then were deep as were their families...very cunning.

What makes you think we are not for our own beliefs? I don't understand what you are getting at...makes no sense.

That's right...nothing is done in secret at my church. Why do you think we would have that page listed on our church website if we wante to remain hidden? Again, I don't get where you are coming from. Our house is clean. Our faith is strong, reliable, historical and defendable. My name and email address is listed right on the church website. Anyone can email me and ask whatever they want or they can come to the church and we can talk about it in person.

Here's a thought: How about you crawl out of your heretical, anonymous hole, make a call to the LDS mission president here in Las Vegas and give him my name and church address. He probably already knows me. Gather the missionary kids, bring yourself or whoever to the church and we can discuss the Scriptures all you like. There is nothing I love more than discussing the Scriptures and answering Mormon's flawed beliefs and questions. Just tell the greeters/deacons at the church you'd like to speak with me and they'll lead you right to me with a smile on their face and I'll greet you the same way.