Thread: Is James White's degree bogus?

Illya_Kuryakin

Default Is James White's degree bogus?

I had heard in the past that James White got his degree from a diploma mill.

I understand that the requirement for a doctorate at the school that he attended is pretty light and to call oneself a "Dr." is being somewhat dishonest.

I was under the impression that one would need four languages to obtain a doctorate. I know that White has Greek and some Hebrew, but his Greek is definately not on a PHD level and his Hebrew is a smattering at best. I think that he made mention of knowing some German at one time, but again I don't think this is on the level of a doctorate. I know people who have gotten their PHD in New Testament and they claim that White's doctorate is a total joke.

Columbia's requirements do not lead me to believe that his unaccredited school requires the rigorous training that an accredited school would require.
    Is anyone else familiar with this school and the controversy on his "doctorate." Illya.

Source (http://www.columbiaseminary.edu/programdetails/)

vladimir998

Illya_Kuryakin

Thanks Vlad, I'll read it tonight when I get home.

Have a good week,

Illya

akram

Exactly. Yet the anti-Catholic Reformed Baptist apologist James White has gone around the world proclaiming himself "Dr. James White" for years now. Obviously, he thinks this grants him a higher degree of credentials (looks great on debate announcements, doesn't it?), and he knows full well the prestige ***ociated with the ***le; yet it is bogus, because it came from non-accredited Columbia Evangelical Seminary (see the school's lengthy defense of its stand on this score).

MacG

Default Anyone can post a link.

Quote Originally Posted by Illya_Kuryakin View Post
    I had heard in the past that James White got his degree from a diploma mill.

I understand that the requirement for a doctorate at the school that he attended is pretty light and to call oneself a "Dr." is being somewhat dishonest.

I was under the impression that one would need four languages to obtain a doctorate. I know that White has Greek and some Hebrew, but his Greek is definately not on a PHD level and his Hebrew is a smattering at best. I think that he made mention of knowing some German at one time, but again I don't think this is on the level of a doctorate. I know people who have gotten their PHD in New Testament and they claim that White's doctorate is a total joke.

Columbia's requirements do not lead me to believe that his unaccredited school requires the rigorous training that an accredited school would require.
    Is anyone else familiar with this school and the controversy on his "doctorate." Illya.

Source (http://www.columbiaseminary.edu/programdetails/)
    http://vintage.aomin.org/Novak1.html

tealblue

But, no matter how much fairness you show in dealing with non-Christians (and especially with those who claim to be Christians, yet deny the central truths of the faith), you will be sorely disappointed if you expect to get the same kind of fairness in return. It just will not happen. Matthew 5:11 is fulfilled more often than not when dealing with false religions, and especially with those who promote them.

This is a section from James white's article in which he is talking about those who say they are christian but deny central christian truths. My question is who is the one coming up with this "central christian truth"? For example on the question of eternal security. Christians do not agree on this. I've seen various spins on this one subject alone. Those in each corner claim to have biblical superiority. If you are in error in one single biblical teaching there is a posability you could be wrong about others as well and just don't know it. So far I haven't met any two people who claim to have holy spirit guided revelation that agree on everything. Is the holy spirit only guiding christians on the essentail doctrine?

alanmolstad

this whole topic seems to me to be a clear case of "If you don't like the message, blame the messenger"

chuckt

I don't know.

Someone was challenging me on the internet using James' videos on the internet.
    He has a show so one of the dangers of having an hour long video is he talks too much and as a result, I was able to argue so there is a problem when an average person can do that which means the information I refuted wasn't based on anything. I can provide references to what I found but I'm not sure what the rules are here so I will have to review them in regards to linking to other material or posting other material.

There is a problem with information that can be challenged so I encourage everyone to challenge what they hear.

chuckt

White is the director of Alpha and Omega Ministries, a presuppositional apologetics organization based in Phoenix, Arizona. He received a BA from Grand Canyon College, an MA from Fuller Theological Seminary, and a ThM, a ThD and a DMin from Columbia Evangelical Seminary (formerly Faraston Seminary),[1] an unaccredited distance-learning school[2] where he also serves as a faculty mentor.[3] He is also a critical consultant for the Lockman Foundation's New American Standard Bible.[4]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_White_(theologian)

Faraston Seminary is unaccredited so his "advanced degrees" are unaccredited.

chuckt

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    this whole topic seems to me to be a clear case of "If you don't like the message, blame the messenger"
    I know Christians who want to be a pastor and have degrees but aren't pastors.
    If the advanced degree has no weight then why should he be going around calling himself doctor?
    If the truth be told, would we accept him as doctor? And if we don't then isn't it not something we would accept as truth?
    I know a man in the world who tells me he has enough credits for an advanced degree but he is always truthful in telling people he has no advanced degrees.

alanmolstad

I only can care about the things the guy teaches...