Thread: Chinese Wisdom

Trinity

Default Chinese Wisdom

12 reasons why I like Confucius. Not only I like Confucius but I like the Chinese and China. I believe this is the greatest civilization that existed in this world, and in less than ten years from our present days, they will be the greatest superpower on the surface of this planet.

"If I am walking with two other men, each of them will serve as my teacher. I will pick out the good points of the one and imitate them, and the bad points of the other and correct them in myself."---Confucius

"By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest."---Confucius

"It is easy to hate and it is difficult to love. This is how the whole scheme of things works. All good things are difficult to achieve; and bad things are very easy to get."---Confucius

"A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions."---Confucius

"If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed; if in terms of ten years, plant trees; if in terms of 100 years, teach the people."---Confucius

"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life."---Confucius

"Do not impose on others what you yourself do not desire."---Confucius

"He who learns but does not think, is lost! He who thinks but does not learn is in great danger."---Confucius

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."---Confucius

"It is more shameful to distrust our friends than to be deceived by them."---Confucius

"The more man meditates upon good thoughts, the better will be his world and the world at large."---Confucius

"To know, is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge."---Confucius

Trinity

ChrisLaRock

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this philosophy where fortune cookie fortunes come from?

Trinity

Hello ChrisLaRock,

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLaRock View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this philosophy where fortune cookie fortunes come from?
    Taoism, Confucianism, are ancient Chinese philosophies. A cultural wisdom from the East. There is great advices for living in society and for more serenity in our daily life.

About the origin of the Fortune cookie. This is probably Japanese.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortune_cookie#Origin

Welcome among us.

Trinity

ChrisLaRock

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    Hello ChrisLaRock,

Taoism, Confucianism, are ancient Chinese philosophies. A cultural wisdom from the East. There is great advices for living in society and for more serenity in our daily life.

About the origin of the Fortune cookie. This is probably Japanese.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortune_cookie#Origin

Welcome among us.

Trinity
    My favorite fortune so far:

"If you're still hungry, have another fortune cookie."

Trinity

Hello Chris,

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLaRock View Post
    My favorite fortune so far:

"If you're still hungry, have another fortune cookie."
    My preferred cookie is the Chinese almond biscuit.

"Almond biscuit (also called almond cake or almond cookie) is a type of Chinese pastry. The biscuit is one of the most standard pastries in Hong Kong, and can also be found in some Chinatown bakery shops overseas. Most that are sold overseas are imported from Macau. The biscuits are small with no filling by default. It is also crunchy, sometimes crumbling on first bite. In Macau the snack has been one of the most popular specialty products. Especially near the Cathedral of St. Paul, streets are packed with 10 to 20 stores all selling different flavors of almond biscuits next to one another. Hawkers line up on the street to push the merchandise. For tourists, the biscuit itself is considered an attraction."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almond_biscuit

I can eat them without counting them. They are my comfort food.

Simply delicious!!!

Trinity

Heart2Heart

12 reasons why I like Confucius. Not only I like Confucius but I like the Chinese and China. I believe this is the greatest civilization that existed in this world, and in less than ten years from our present days, they will be the greatest superpower on the surface of this planet.

Trinity
    Confucian's actual name is Kung Ch'iu or K'ung-fu-tzu or Kǒng Fūzǐ (or Kǒng fū zǐ). You will often see Tzu or Zi attached to the sages names. Tzu means master rather than the family name. Confucius deliberately moved from the class meaning to moral meaning (gentle man or noble man). A moral quality of being a Zhunzi (Chun Tzu) rather than aristocratic (gentleman or nobleman). Confucian emphasized the values called jen (ren) which basically means humaneness. The qualities of humaneness is someone who has all the good quality of being human. He believed people are basically good, unlike Christians believe people's nature is bad. People are corrupted by social disruption and by the bad examples of their rulers, but basically people are good.

How can a person combine Confucian and other religious belief such as Christianity? It is impossible. His strong emphasis is works.

You might appreciate what he emphasizes, but you cannot treat his belief as part of religion. His words cannot supersede the Scriptures.

When a person says, "My mind is a Christian, my heart is a Buddhist, and my womb is a Confucianist," this is when a person has compromised their belief in Christianity. As you can see, you cannot combine different religions and call yourself a true Christian.
    Last edited by Heart2Heart; 02-14-2009 at 07:10 PM.

Heart2Heart

12 reasons why I like Confucius. Not only I like Confucius but I like the Chinese and China.

Trinity
    Word of caution, Chinese beliefs about the soul is not the same as in Christianity. Traditional Chinese see the soul having two parts (po and hun). The po is the heavy soul or animal and life soul or physical substance. It is the yin material. The hun is the spiritual, personality soul which is made of subtle, spiritual, ethereal and this is the yang material.

Christianity speaks of having one soul. Again, Eastern religious beliefs are not the same as Western as you well know.
    Last edited by Heart2Heart; 01-21-2009 at 07:17 PM.

Trinity

Quote Originally Posted by Heart2Heart View Post
    Confucian's actual name is Kung Ch'iu or K'ung-fu-tzu. You will often see Tzu or Zi attached to the sages names. Tzu means master rather than the family name. Confucius deliberately moved from the class meaning to moral meaning (gentle man or noble man). A moral quality of being a Zhunzi (Chun Tzu) rather than aristocratic (gentleman or nobleman). Confucian emphasized the values called jen (ren) which basically means humaneness. The qualities of humaneness is someone who has all the good quality of being human. He believed people are basically good, unlike Christians believe people's nature is bad. People are corrupted by social disruption and by the bad examples of their rulers, but basically people are good.

How can a person combine Confucian and other religious belief such as Christianity? It is impossible. His strong emphasis is works.

You might appreciate what he emphasizes, but you cannot treat his belief as part of religion. His words cannot supersede the Scriptures.
    Every human being has a spark of God in his soul otherwise we would have been demons. Totally unable to do good. Unless, you think that there is a spark of good in every demon.

Trinity
    Last edited by Trinity; 01-17-2009 at 03:10 PM.

Trinity

Word of caution, Chinese beliefs about the soul is not the same as in Christianity. Traditional Chinese see the soul having two parts (po and hun). The Po is the heavy soul or animal and life soul or physical substance. It is the yin material. The Hun is the spiritual, personality soul which is made of subtle, spiritual, ethereal and this is the yang material.

Christianity speaks of having one soul. Again, Eastern religious beliefs are not the same as Western as you well know.
    For the Judaism the soul and the spirit are the same thing. Christians had adopted a trichotomy (body-soul-spirit), distinctively of the Jews with their general dichotomy (body-soul). The Jews also believed for a very long time that the body was the soul. There are even some Jews who are dividing the soul into three parts or more.

The idea is not to be absorbed by other religions but to follow good advices from wise men.

Trinity

Heart2Heart

For the Judaism the soul and the spirit are the same thing. Christians had adopted a trichotomy (body-soul-spirit), distinctively of the Jews with their general dichotomy (body-soul). The Jews also believed for a very long time that the body was the soul. There are even some Jews who are dividing the soul into three parts or more.

The idea is not to be absorbed by other religions but to follow good advices from wise men.

Trinity
    Judaism is a Middle Eastern religion.

Heart2Heart

Hello Chris,

My preferred cookie is the Chinese almond biscuit.

"Almond biscuit (also called almond cake or almond cookie) is a type of Chinese pastry. The biscuit is one of the most standard pastries in Hong Kong, and can also be found in some Chinatown bakery shops overseas. Most that are sold overseas are imported from Macau. The biscuits are small with no filling by default. It is also crunchy, sometimes crumbling on first bite. In Macau the snack has been one of the most popular specialty products. Especially near the Cathedral of St. Paul, streets are packed with 10 to 20 stores all selling different flavors of almond biscuits next to one another. Hawkers line up on the street to push the merchandise. For tourists, the biscuit itself is considered an attraction."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almond_biscuit

I can eat them without counting them. They are my comfort food.

Simply delicious!!!

Trinity
    Hi Trinity,

They are delicious when they are dry. Have you eaten them when they are mushy or too soft?

Trinity

Hi Trinity,

They are delicious when they are dry. Have you eaten them when they are mushy or too soft?
    I also prefer the dry ones. This little taste mixed with almonds and sugar makes me crazy.

Trinity

Heart2Heart

I also prefer the dry ones. This little taste mixed with almonds and sugar makes me crazy.

Trinity
    Eat with balance or you will go crazy.

Heart2Heart

Every human being has a spark of God in his soul otherwise we would have been demons. Totally unable to do good. Unless, you think that there is a spark of good in every demon.

Trinity
    Ironically, some demons appear to be "good" or benevolent.

Trinity

Ironically, some demons appear to be "good" or benevolent.
    They are actors, doing a masquerade. There is absolutely nothing that is good in them. They generate shows and artifices, and they are playing some psychological games to scare the humans.

Trinity

Trinity

By three methods we may learn wisdom:
    First, by reflection, which is noblest;
    second, by imitation, which is easiest;
    and third, by experience, which is the bitterest.

--Confucius

Trinity
    Please forgive me, but I am a stickler for America. I believe we are the greatest nation that has existed in the world, it's just that I"m not sure if we are long for it.

I'm a big fan of China too. Got to dig the respect they've had for their parents for many centuries as a Christian. Also, they regard the things of the Earth (Herbs) which is commanded to be regarded in the Bible. They honor the old, I think (although not like they have for centuries), as Christians are commanded too.

I prefer the Russian Orthodox culture, empire and society that flourished in Russia and produced many saints for around a thousand years. They had Christian emperors -the last was Tsar Nicholas II +1917--who is a canonized saint. Russia was a Christian nation in the true sense of the word. I believe Christian Russia was the greatest nation the world has ever seen. I think most westerners (or American's) are generally not familiar with Russia's beautiful culture and history.

As for Chinese wisdom, I prefer Lao Tzu and the Tao Teh Ching. There's a book called "Christ the Eternal Tao" which presents the Tao Teh Ching as a foreshadowing of what would be revealed by Christ, and Lao Tzu himself as a Far-Eastern prophet of Christ. I believe that Lao Tzu's wisdom and philosophy is as far as human genius, ingenuity and natural philosophy (as opposed to spiritual philosophy via the divine revelation of Christianity) can go.