Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gift of Tongues

jean

Default The Gift of Tongues

Oneness folks.
    Did you speak in tongues before or after you were saved? Please include scripture.
    How do you interpret 1 Cor.12:30?
    Do you teach all must speak in tongues? If so, why?
    What happens if other christians don't receive this gift?

God bless,
    p2
    Last edited by jean; 11-17-2008 at 12:06 AM.

BuckGardner

We speak in tongues as led by our Lord. He and he alone gives us his Spirit and wemay get it as the finishing act of his work or before we finish what we have been commanded as seen in ACTS 8,10 AND 19.

ALL MUST AND WILL SPEAK IN TONGUES IF SAVED, if not, a person is a pretender and liar.
    You will be lost and split hell wide open and eventually be cast into the Lake of Fire for not being saved and speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives the utterance.

1 CO. 12:30 This is speaking of a Gift of The Spirit which God gives severally (singularly) as he wills and is not the Spirit baptism promised and given to all and in the same way of speaking in tongues 1 CO. 12;13, MARK 16:16, ACTS 2:38-39
    read those and don't just skirt them.

Non-trinnie

Quote Originally Posted by jean View Post
    Oneness folks.
    Did you speak in tongues before or after you were saved? Please include scripture.

God bless,
    p2
    Wait a minute here, this question was asked the same way over on carm. I dont think it was asked by jean, but I might be mistaken. If it wasnt then jean is someone else over on carm.

jean

Quote Originally Posted by BuckGardner View Post
    We speak in tongues as led by our Lord. He and he alone gives us his Spirit and wemay get it as the finishing act of his work or before we finish what we have been commanded as seen in ACTS 8,10 AND 19.

ALL MUST AND WILL SPEAK IN TONGUES IF SAVED, if not, a person is a pretender and liar.
    You will be lost and split hell wide open and eventually be cast into the Lake of Fire for not being saved and speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives the utterance.

1 CO. 12:30 This is speaking of a Gift of The Spirit which God gives severally (singularly) as he wills and is not the Spirit baptism promised and given to all and in the same way of speaking in tongues 1 CO. 12;13, MARK 16:16, ACTS 2:38-39
    Hi buck,
    What scripture reads 'A person must speak in tongues to be saved?'
    We are saved by grace through faith. See Eph.2:8-9

I know speaking in tongues is one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit, it is also the least of the Gifts of the Holy Spirit. So why do you think it's a salvation issue?

1Cor.12:30 asks , "do all speak in tongues, Do all have the gifts of healing? Do all interpret?
    The anwser is no, we all receive different gifts from the Holy Spirit according to his will. See 1Cor.12:11

God bless you as you search for the truth in His word.
    p2

Did you speak in tongues 'before' or 'after' you were saved?

God doesn't give His gifts to unbelievers.

jean

I see I didn't read all the posts, sorry. I'm repeating myself.
    buck, you seem to be adamant about the tongues issue.
    What p***age teaches a person is saved by tongues?
    What did Jesus Christ do for you on the cross of Calvary? hmm?

p2

jean

Oneness folks.

God bless,
    p2
    I've forgotten that Walter Martin has changed their format.
    My old user is p2. I switched to jean. I forgot that too.
    I will continue to use 'jean' in the future.
    Sorry for the confusion.

God bless you,.
    jean

jean

Quote Originally Posted by Non-trinnie View Post
    Wait a minute here, this question was asked the same way over on carm. I dont think it was asked by jean, but I might be mistaken. If it wasnt then jean is someone else over on carm.
    Yes, Your right, I'm jean.
    Are you going to answer the question?
    Many christians speak in tongues. It 's one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit . given to some but not all believers. See 1Cor.12:30 as he determines. 1Cor.12:11
    May I bring up also the sin of 'pride' this can be found in the Proverbs.
    Happy hunting.

God bless you,
    jean

BuckGardner

Quote Originally Posted by non-trinnie View Post
    wait a minute here, this question was asked the same way over on carm. I dont think it was asked by jean, but i might be mistaken. If it wasnt then jean is someone else over on carm.

jean is p2, which is bluelake a fradulent person over there who cannot answer oneness, but can ask questions.

jade84116

Post Not All Speak In Tongues!

Not all speak in tongues. Any other view makes 1 Corinthians 12:30 impossible to understand. 1 Corinthians 12:30, KJV, states: "Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?" That would ***ume that all don't speak in tongues!

jade84116

Post Oops!

Quote Originally Posted by jade84116 View Post
    Not all speak in tongues. Any other view makes 1 Corinthians 12:30 impossible to understand. 1 Corinthians 12:30, KJV, states: "Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?" That would ***ume that all don't speak in tongues!
    Oops! This is repe***ive. That's what I get for posting without reading, huh?

Norrin Radd

Quote Originally Posted by jade84116 View Post
    On the other hand, the ***umption that *some* form of inspired utterance -- usually "tongues," but sometimes prophecy -- is not normative for all makes it impossible to understand Acts 2, 10:46, 19:6; 1 Cor. 14:5, 23, 26.

I'm not "Oneness," but this topic, as addressed in this post, moves into the larger Pentecostal/Charismatic realm.

Trinitas

Norrin: On the other hand, the ***umption that *some* form of inspired utterance -- usually "tongues," but sometimes prophecy -- is not normative for all makes it impossible to understand Acts 2, 10:46, 19:6; 1 Cor. 14:5, 23, 26.

How so? Some speak in tongues, and some don't. How does that conflict with any of the verses you mention above?

Norrin Radd

Quote Originally Posted by Trinitas View Post
    Norrin: On the other hand, the ***umption that *some* form of inspired utterance -- usually "tongues," but sometimes prophecy -- is not normative for all makes it impossible to understand Acts 2, 10:46, 19:6; 1 Cor. 14:5, 23, 26.

How so? Some speak in tongues, and some don't. How does that conflict with any of the verses you mention above?
    Acts 2 -- At Pentecost, all upon whom the Spirit fell spoke in "tongues." In explaining/defending this to the gathered crowd, Peter invoked Joel's words about the outpoured Spirit of the Last Days. Peter and Joel (and Luke who recorded the words) listed several "signs," twice specifically mentioning "prophecy" (or the verb "prophesy"). It's apparent they (Peter and Luke, at least) intended "tongues" to fall under the general heading of "inspired prophetic utterance." After an evangelistic sermon, Peter returned to the topic of the coming of the Spirit, and said that "the promise" -- i.e. the promise spoke of by Joel, where "all who call upon the name of the Lord will be saved," and will receive the Spirit and so "prophesy" -- was intended not only for those present there, but also their descendants, and ALL, whether near or far.

Acts 10 -- ALL those who heard the message received the Spirit, and ALL those who received the Spirit spoke in tongues.

Acts 19 -- All those upon whom Paul laid hands received the Holy Spirit, and all who received the Spirit spoke in tongues and/or prophesied.

Those are the three strongest pieces of evidence. They are also the most disturbing, because like it or not, they make a strong case for the idea that believers should be "expected" to either speak in tongues or prophesy when the Spirit comes upon them. From Luke's perspective, it seems clear that the Apostles did not regard a person as a genuine believer unless they had received the Spirit, and (again, from Luke's perspective) tongues or prophecy demonstrated that coming of the Spirit.

1 Cor. 14:5 -- In divinely-inspired Scripture, Paul expresses his wish that "all" would speak in tongues and prophesy; whether that represents ONLY the wish of Paul, or the desire of both Paul and God, depends to some extent on how one views the nature of "inspiration" of Scripture.

1 Cor. 23 and 26 -- In looking at these again, I see I probably should not have included 26 the way I did. V. 23 suggests at least the theoretical possibility that "all" might speak in tongues. Indeed, something close to that was probably part of what had been going on, and which Paul wished to correct. The problem was not "speaking in tongues" per se, but doing so in the ***embly, in a way that was disorderly and confusing to unlearned visitors.

jean

buck,
    Then you reject the word of God which tells us we are saved by grace through faith. Eph.2:8-9Rom.5:1-5 Justifoed by faith, not tongues.

Your p***ages above do not refer to speaking in tongues.
    Acts 2:38, when we believe and accept the message which Peter gave by faith, the Holy Spirit takes up residence in our hearts. No tongues required.
    Acts 4;4 No tongues, verse 31, no tongues.

The book of Acts is an historical book which reveals the coming of the Holy Spirit which Jesus Christ said he would send. Jn.15:26-27 Jesus didn't mention tongues.
    If you are saved by speaking in tongues what did Jesus do for you?
    Are you saving yourself or did Jesus die for you on the cross?

jean, p2

jean

jean is p2, which is bluelake a fradulent person over there who cannot answer oneness, but can ask questions.
    buck,
    thank you for reminding me who I am.
    So now you are aware of who I am. Please answer the questions.
    Were you saved before or after you spoke in tongues?

All believers are saved by grace first, then the Holy Spirit gives His gifts, but not to all. See 1Cor.12:30 have you read this yet? .
    Unbelievers do not receive the gift of tongues or any other gifts, they are given as the Holy Spirit determines. 1Cor.12:11

God bless,
    Jean

jean

buck,
    You didn't answer my question. Did you speak in tongues before or after you were saved?
    You are saved aren't you?

jean

jean

Quote Originally Posted by Norrin Radd View Post
    On the other hand, the ***umption that *some* form of inspired utterance -- usually "tongues," but sometimes prophecy -- is not normative for all makes it impossible to understand Acts 2, 10:46, 19:6; 1 Cor. 14:5, 23, 26.

I'm not "Oneness," but this topic, as addressed in this post, moves into the larger Pentecostal/Charismatic realm.
    Hello norrin,
    Tongues are one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit. The Jesus Only folks have chosen this gift as a salvation issue. They teach that a person must speak in tongues to be saved. There is no scriptural support for this teaching.
    Folks do speak in tongues, but they are already saved, God doesn't give his gifts to unbelievers.
    The Bible also teaches tongues are the least of the gifts of the Spirit.`
    Paul said in 1Cor.14:1 Phophecy was the greater gift. It's strange oneness haven't opted this gift for salvation, although the Bible teaches we are saved by grace though faith. Eph.2:8-9

God bless,
    jean
    Last edited by jean; 03-17-2009 at 10:20 PM.

jean

Quote Originally Posted by Non-trinnie View Post
    non trinnie,
    Yes, it was me.
    I'm having a difficult time getting an answer.
    Can you answer the question? When were you saved? Before or after you spoke in tongues?

jean

Kat

John 3 vs 5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water<--(Baptism) and of the Spirit<---(HolyGhost), he cannot enter into the kingdom of God
    I got the Holyghost after my baptism

NIRV. 5 Jesus answered, "What I'm about to tell you is true. No one can enter God's kingdom without being born through water and the Holy Spirit.

I don't want to argue about Gods Word because it is set plain and simple...and why argue its the truth... Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God
    Faith without works is dead.... If Gods word says to Repent<--- we need to repent ...If it says we need to be filled with Gods spirit <---is that so hard to do.....If it says we need to be baptized in the name of Jesus....<----Do It
    Because we need to be sure then regret it later on....Ok if you are right and baptism in the name of the father...Son...Holghost....is the formula for being saved.....and if you are right in saying we don't need Gods Holyghost Spirit to get to Heaven.....And if you are right to say all we need to do is believe and we are saved.....then you have nothing to worry about...BUT.. If you are wrong... you have alot to be worried about because it says in

Matt 7 vs 18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

19Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

20Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

21Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

and yes there are alot of good people out there but remember
    Ephesians 2 vs 8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

9Not of works, lest any man should boast.

10For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them

God bless Sister Kat
    Last edited by Kat; 04-06-2009 at 08:11 PM.

kentuckypreacher

I would be glad to affirm that NO ONE is "speaking in tongues" today.

Norrin Radd

Hello norrin,
    Tongues are one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit. The Jesus Only folks have chosen this gift as a salvation issue. They teach that a person must speak in tongues to be saved.
    Query: Do they teach that salvation is a result of tongues-speaking, or that tongues-speaking is necessary evidence that one IS saved?

There is no scriptural support for this teaching.
    While it's not exactly a position that I hold, there is Scriptural support for the idea that tongues and/or prophecy cons***ute normative evidence of the presence of the Spirit.

Folks do speak in tongues, but they are already saved, God doesn't give his gifts to unbelievers.
    The Bible also teaches tongues are the least of the gifts of the Spirit.
    No it doesn't.

John Carr

Default I am a Oneness Pentecostal

We teach that one gets tongues as a sign and that the Baptism with the Holy Spirit has one get the evidence and sign of tongues in their life as a outward showing of what has gone on inwardly.

The sign that is seen over and over is tongue speaking, it is shown by example in Acts 2 and 10 and 19 and is clear by context in Acts 8 as well.
    Paul spoke in tongues and it was a promise for all from the Father.

JC

John Carr

Funny I have spoken in tongues as I was baptized with the Holy Ghost like the Apostles and Disciples and saints in the Bible.
    I also have spoken in the Gift of Tongues and Interpreted and as well seen and heard the same from others and other Gifts of the Spirit.
    So why would there be no tongues today? what makes you make such a statement?

JC

Trinitas

Hey... got yourself a new name, huh, RJC?

You and your false "religion" can teach whatever you want... what really matters is what the Bible says, and there is not a single verse in the entire Bible that says ALL will speak in tongues as "proof" of their receiving the Holy Spirit. There are a few instances in the Bible where tongues does accompany the coming of the Spirit, but there are just as many where tongues does not. I know you Oneness types like to argue the "outward" showing angle, but it just doesn't fly. It doesn't fly because the Bible does not support it. There is nothing in the Bible to indicate that there will be some universal "sign" to definitively prove someone received the Holy Spirit... it's just not there.

The Holy Spirit is a promise for all believers, but that promise doesn't include tongues. The point is we DON'T see your supposed "sign" "over and over"... we see it just a few times. In fact, from the first time we see it (the Day of Pentecost in Acts 2) to the next time we see it (Acts 10 when Cornelius and friends speak in tongues) there is a huge gap of 11 years. 11 years where not a soul speaks in tongues. Of course, you will probably say this is an "argument from silence", but the real argument from silence is your own. Since there isn't a verse in the Bible that says we should expect something TO happen, making the ridiculous argument that something DID happen in Acts 8 and Acts 9 is purely the argument from silence... which is what we get when the Pentecostalists attempt to prove their false "doctrine". I'm not making an "argument from silence". Silence is all there is in Acts 8 and Acts 9... not a single mention of tongues.

Maybe you do have the GIFT of tongues, and maybe you have the GIFT of interpretation... that's certainly possible. But what you don't have is the "initial evidence" of anything. That doesn't exist. I believe tongues exist today... there is no reason to think the Spiritual gifts have ceased. But, "initial evidence" of tongues hasn't ceased... it NEVER existed!

John Carr

We are given a rpomise of the Father, we are to be baptized with the Holy Ghost, we are told this is a promise for all, even those afar off and as many as the Lord our God shall call.
    We see the Biblicl doctrine of witnessess fulfilled with Acts 2:1-4 and the preaching of Peter regarding the Baptism, we see also the Gentiles as well as the Jews and John's followers in Acts 10: and 19: as recieving the same like Gift as Peter speaks of in Acts 11:14-18.
    We see the Samaritans according to scholars had received speaking in tongues in Acts 8:, since the context of the p***age clearly shows something occured enough for Simon to want to receive this gifting in his life of laying on of hands and men getting the Holy Ghost.
    So I would say you are dead wrong and enough Biblical evidence is against your position as to show me that you don't have the truth on the subject.

It does fly, because men continued to speak in tongues and those of your church deny them.

We also see that according to Mark 16:17 the sign was tongues and thus we know men today get the same thing as in times of old.

Plenty of proof is given to warrant that the Samaritans and Paul got the same gift as Peter and those on Pentecost.

In 1 Cor. 12:13 WE SEE THAT ALL ARE BAPTIZED WITH THE SAME SPIRIT, and I would claim would get the universal evidence and sign of tongues as the scripture say and show men got.

Paul stated he spoke in tongue more than all, and if he got the Holy Ghost as I beleive, then he got the same like gift as Peter and the Gentiles and the rest got.

Poor trinity churches don't have these, they don't even fake them well.
    They deny One God and deny the name of Jesus and reject the Biblical standards of Holiness, we cannot then expect that they got the real experience in their lives.

JC