Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Gift of Tongues

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    jean

Default The Gift of Tongues

Oneness folks.
    Did you speak in tongues before or after you were saved? Please include scripture.
    How do you interpret 1 Cor.12:30?
    Do you teach all must speak in tongues? If so, why?
    What happens if other christians don't receive this gift?

God bless,
    p2
    Last edited by jean; 11-17-2008 at 12:06 AM.

BuckGardner

We speak in tongues as led by our Lord. He and he alone gives us his Spirit and wemay get it as the finishing act of his work or before we finish what we have been commanded as seen in ACTS 8,10 AND 19.

ALL MUST AND WILL SPEAK IN TONGUES IF SAVED, if not, a person is a pretender and liar.
    You will be lost and split hell wide open and eventually be cast into the Lake of Fire for not being saved and speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives the utterance.

1 CO. 12:30 This is speaking of a Gift of The Spirit which God gives severally (singularly) as he wills and is not the Spirit baptism promised and given to all and in the same way of speaking in tongues 1 CO. 12;13, MARK 16:16, ACTS 2:38-39
    read those and don't just skirt them.

jean

Quote Originally Posted by BuckGardner View Post
    We speak in tongues as led by our Lord. He and he alone gives us his Spirit and wemay get it as the finishing act of his work or before we finish what we have been commanded as seen in ACTS 8,10 AND 19.

ALL MUST AND WILL SPEAK IN TONGUES IF SAVED, if not, a person is a pretender and liar.
    You will be lost and split hell wide open and eventually be cast into the Lake of Fire for not being saved and speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives the utterance.

1 CO. 12:30 This is speaking of a Gift of The Spirit which God gives severally (singularly) as he wills and is not the Spirit baptism promised and given to all and in the same way of speaking in tongues 1 CO. 12;13, MARK 16:16, ACTS 2:38-39
    Hi buck,
    What scripture reads 'A person must speak in tongues to be saved?'
    We are saved by grace through faith. See Eph.2:8-9

I know speaking in tongues is one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit, it is also the least of the Gifts of the Holy Spirit. So why do you think it's a salvation issue?

1Cor.12:30 asks , "do all speak in tongues, Do all have the gifts of healing? Do all interpret?
    The anwser is no, we all receive different gifts from the Holy Spirit according to his will. See 1Cor.12:11

God bless you as you search for the truth in His word.
    p2

Did you speak in tongues 'before' or 'after' you were saved?

God doesn't give His gifts to unbelievers.

jean

I see I didn't read all the posts, sorry. I'm repeating myself.
    buck, you seem to be adamant about the tongues issue.
    What p***age teaches a person is saved by tongues?
    What did Jesus Christ do for you on the cross of Calvary? hmm?

p2

jean

buck,
    Then you reject the word of God which tells us we are saved by grace through faith. Eph.2:8-9Rom.5:1-5 Justifoed by faith, not tongues.

Your p***ages above do not refer to speaking in tongues.
    Acts 2:38, when we believe and accept the message which Peter gave by faith, the Holy Spirit takes up residence in our hearts. No tongues required.
    Acts 4;4 No tongues, verse 31, no tongues.

The book of Acts is an historical book which reveals the coming of the Holy Spirit which Jesus Christ said he would send. Jn.15:26-27 Jesus didn't mention tongues.
    If you are saved by speaking in tongues what did Jesus do for you?
    Are you saving yourself or did Jesus die for you on the cross?

jean, p2

jean

buck,
    You didn't answer my question. Did you speak in tongues before or after you were saved?
    You are saved aren't you?

jean

PostTribber

Default oh, now I get it!!

you must have the King Buck Version.

jean

buck,
    I think yoir confused about the question I asked.
    If you believe all must speak in tongues to be saved, what scripture can you provide?

I know folks speak in tongues, If they do they are already saved. The Lord doesn't give His gifts to unbelievers.
    Read Acts 2, 10 and 19 these christians accepted the message first, then they received the gift. Read Acts 2;38 They believed, Acts 4;4 They believed.
    Eph 2:8-9 We are saved by grace, through faith. It is the gift of God.

God bless,
    p2, jean
    Last edited by jean; 05-11-2009 at 11:45 PM. Reason: typo

jeanmarie

buck,
    Did Jesus do anything to ***ure you of salvation, or did you save yourself
    by speaking in tongues?
    There isn't one p***age in the Bible that reads 'you must speak in tongues to be saved. A person is already saved if he speaks in tongues. See Eph.2;8-9 ***us 4-5
    Were you saved before or after you spoke in tongues? If you weren't saved before, then the tongues you speak aren't from the Lord. Think about it.
    God doesn't give his gifts to unbelievers, does he?

God bless you,
    jean

James Banta

Hi Buck.. Interesting idea this having to speak in tongues.. I noticed that you used a p***age that teaching certain gifts follow those that are saved in Mark 16.. May we look at it closer?

Mark 16:16-18
    He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be ****ed.
    And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
    They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover

Ok based on this p***age you claim that tongues are required as a sign of salvation.. Ok I won't argue that point. What I want to know is, have you also cast out devils, handled serpents, taken poison, and healed the sick with a touch as that same evidence? After all they are all included in the p***age as evidence that a person is saved.. Tongues is a small 6 word phrase in a p***age of 50 words.. Surely the other requirements given here are just as much a requirement as speaking in tongues, are they not? IHS jim

buck gardner posted:

No place in acts 8, 10, or 19 commands you to speak in tongues in any way at any time. If you think I am mistaken, please cite the specific scriptures that do so. There is no command in the whole Bible to speak in tongues.

So you ignore 1 Corinthians 12:30. I seeeeee.

I have been saved by faith in Jesus Christ, not by speaking in tongues. No scripture anywhere requires tongues for salvation.

None of those p***ages makes any requirement for tongues speaking. Neither does any of those p***ages make tongues in those cases a different gift than the tongues that not everyone speaks according to 1 Corinthians 12:30.

Your manmade requirement that people speak in tongues to be saved is demonic, since it places manmade requirements for salvation that Jesus already purchaced for us.

Non-trinnie

Quote Originally Posted by jean View Post
    Oneness folks.
    Did you speak in tongues before or after you were saved? Please include scripture.
    How do you interpret 1 Cor.12:30?
    Do you teach all must speak in tongues? If so, why?
    What happens if other christians don't receive this gift?

God bless,
    p2
    Wait a minute here, this question was asked the same way over on carm. I dont think it was asked by jean, but I might be mistaken. If it wasnt then jean is someone else over on carm.

jean

Quote Originally Posted by Non-trinnie View Post
    Wait a minute here, this question was asked the same way over on carm. I dont think it was asked by jean, but I might be mistaken. If it wasnt then jean is someone else over on carm.
    Yes, Your right, I'm jean.
    Are you going to answer the question?
    Many christians speak in tongues. It 's one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit . given to some but not all believers. See 1Cor.12:30 as he determines. 1Cor.12:11
    May I bring up also the sin of 'pride' this can be found in the Proverbs.
    Happy hunting.

God bless you,
    jean

BuckGardner

Quote Originally Posted by non-trinnie View Post
    wait a minute here, this question was asked the same way over on carm. I dont think it was asked by jean, but i might be mistaken. If it wasnt then jean is someone else over on carm.

jean is p2, which is bluelake a fradulent person over there who cannot answer oneness, but can ask questions.

jean

jean is p2, which is bluelake a fradulent person over there who cannot answer oneness, but can ask questions.
    buck,
    thank you for reminding me who I am.
    So now you are aware of who I am. Please answer the questions.
    Were you saved before or after you spoke in tongues?

All believers are saved by grace first, then the Holy Spirit gives His gifts, but not to all. See 1Cor.12:30 have you read this yet? .
    Unbelievers do not receive the gift of tongues or any other gifts, they are given as the Holy Spirit determines. 1Cor.12:11

God bless,
    Jean

jean

Quote Originally Posted by Non-trinnie View Post
    non trinnie,
    Yes, it was me.
    I'm having a difficult time getting an answer.
    Can you answer the question? When were you saved? Before or after you spoke in tongues?

jean

Kat

John 3 vs 5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water<--(Baptism) and of the Spirit<---(HolyGhost), he cannot enter into the kingdom of God
    I got the Holyghost after my baptism

NIRV. 5 Jesus answered, "What I'm about to tell you is true. No one can enter God's kingdom without being born through water and the Holy Spirit.

I don't want to argue about Gods Word because it is set plain and simple...and why argue its the truth... Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God
    Faith without works is dead.... If Gods word says to Repent<--- we need to repent ...If it says we need to be filled with Gods spirit <---is that so hard to do.....If it says we need to be baptized in the name of Jesus....<----Do It
    Because we need to be sure then regret it later on....Ok if you are right and baptism in the name of the father...Son...Holghost....is the formula for being saved.....and if you are right in saying we don't need Gods Holyghost Spirit to get to Heaven.....And if you are right to say all we need to do is believe and we are saved.....then you have nothing to worry about...BUT.. If you are wrong... you have alot to be worried about because it says in

Matt 7 vs 18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

19Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

20Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

21Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

and yes there are alot of good people out there but remember
    Ephesians 2 vs 8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

9Not of works, lest any man should boast.

10For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them

God bless Sister Kat
    Last edited by Kat; 04-06-2009 at 08:11 PM.

kentuckypreacher

I would be glad to affirm that NO ONE is "speaking in tongues" today.

John Carr

Funny I have spoken in tongues as I was baptized with the Holy Ghost like the Apostles and Disciples and saints in the Bible.
    I also have spoken in the Gift of Tongues and Interpreted and as well seen and heard the same from others and other Gifts of the Spirit.
    So why would there be no tongues today? what makes you make such a statement?

JC

Trinitas

Hey... got yourself a new name, huh, RJC?

You and your false "religion" can teach whatever you want... what really matters is what the Bible says, and there is not a single verse in the entire Bible that says ALL will speak in tongues as "proof" of their receiving the Holy Spirit. There are a few instances in the Bible where tongues does accompany the coming of the Spirit, but there are just as many where tongues does not. I know you Oneness types like to argue the "outward" showing angle, but it just doesn't fly. It doesn't fly because the Bible does not support it. There is nothing in the Bible to indicate that there will be some universal "sign" to definitively prove someone received the Holy Spirit... it's just not there.

The Holy Spirit is a promise for all believers, but that promise doesn't include tongues. The point is we DON'T see your supposed "sign" "over and over"... we see it just a few times. In fact, from the first time we see it (the Day of Pentecost in Acts 2) to the next time we see it (Acts 10 when Cornelius and friends speak in tongues) there is a huge gap of 11 years. 11 years where not a soul speaks in tongues. Of course, you will probably say this is an "argument from silence", but the real argument from silence is your own. Since there isn't a verse in the Bible that says we should expect something TO happen, making the ridiculous argument that something DID happen in Acts 8 and Acts 9 is purely the argument from silence... which is what we get when the Pentecostalists attempt to prove their false "doctrine". I'm not making an "argument from silence". Silence is all there is in Acts 8 and Acts 9... not a single mention of tongues.

Maybe you do have the GIFT of tongues, and maybe you have the GIFT of interpretation... that's certainly possible. But what you don't have is the "initial evidence" of anything. That doesn't exist. I believe tongues exist today... there is no reason to think the Spiritual gifts have ceased. But, "initial evidence" of tongues hasn't ceased... it NEVER existed!

John Carr

We are given a rpomise of the Father, we are to be baptized with the Holy Ghost, we are told this is a promise for all, even those afar off and as many as the Lord our God shall call.
    We see the Biblicl doctrine of witnessess fulfilled with Acts 2:1-4 and the preaching of Peter regarding the Baptism, we see also the Gentiles as well as the Jews and John's followers in Acts 10: and 19: as recieving the same like Gift as Peter speaks of in Acts 11:14-18.
    We see the Samaritans according to scholars had received speaking in tongues in Acts 8:, since the context of the p***age clearly shows something occured enough for Simon to want to receive this gifting in his life of laying on of hands and men getting the Holy Ghost.
    So I would say you are dead wrong and enough Biblical evidence is against your position as to show me that you don't have the truth on the subject.

It does fly, because men continued to speak in tongues and those of your church deny them.

We also see that according to Mark 16:17 the sign was tongues and thus we know men today get the same thing as in times of old.

Plenty of proof is given to warrant that the Samaritans and Paul got the same gift as Peter and those on Pentecost.

In 1 Cor. 12:13 WE SEE THAT ALL ARE BAPTIZED WITH THE SAME SPIRIT, and I would claim would get the universal evidence and sign of tongues as the scripture say and show men got.

Paul stated he spoke in tongue more than all, and if he got the Holy Ghost as I beleive, then he got the same like gift as Peter and the Gentiles and the rest got.

Poor trinity churches don't have these, they don't even fake them well.
    They deny One God and deny the name of Jesus and reject the Biblical standards of Holiness, we cannot then expect that they got the real experience in their lives.

JC

Trinitas

We are given a promise from the Father... the promise of the Holy Spirit. But that's where it ends. There is nothing in this "promise", or in any verse in the entire Bible, that says we ALL speak in tongues as "proof" of our having received that promise”! Nope... not a single verse in the Bible supports the absurd false "doctrine" of Pentecostalists that ALL will speak in tongues as the "initial evidence" of anything.

Your "doctrine of witnesses" is about as funny as your belief in "initial evidence" of tongues! If you want to resort to this trite argument, I will just throw it right back in your face: I have as many Biblical "witnesses" that refute your false "doctrine" as you have "witnesses" to support it. There are three times in the Bible that individuals speak in tongues upon receiving the Holy Spirit (the 12 apostles on the Day of Pentecost; Cornelius and group in Acts 10; and John's disciples in Acts 19) and there are three times that it doesn't happen (later in Acts 2 when the 3,000 are added; in Acts 8 with the Samaritans; and in Acts 9 when Paul receives the Holy Spirit). So, my "witnesses" cancel out your "witnesses"... Got anything better? Naw… didn’t think so!

I don’t give a hoot about your so called "scholars"... I care about what the Bible says, and there is not a word in the Bible about the Samaritans speaking in tongues when they received the Holy Spirit. So don't bore me with your meaningless "context". This event happens smack dab in the middle of an 11 year "drought" where there is not a single mention of tongues in the Book of Acts! “Context”… what rubbish! There is NO “context” to be had, since we haven’t seen a case of tongues in almost 7 chapters! So you have no "context"; you have no "paradigm"... what you got is a bunch of NOTHING, a bunch of uneducated Pentecostal "ministers" making up some fool "doctrine" that the Bible never teaches. That's all you got. NOTHING!

Say anything you want... I think you're dead wrong, and the Bible proves it. You can't point to a single verse that supports your false beliefs about tongues. No one ever taught such a stupid "doctrine" before January 1, 1901 when a bunch of illiterate Bible "students" dreamed it up as a homework ***ignment. And the student who first spoke in tongues, Agnes Ozman, later recanted. Yep... you got a bunch of wishful thinking, but you haven't got support from the Bible.

You’re getting messed up like always... I believe that tongues exist today! I have no reason to believe that the GIFT of tongues ceased operation. There's nothing in the Bible to support such a view. But what doesn't exist... what NEVER existed... is the Pentecostal rubbish about "initial evidence" of tongues.

Mark says tongues is a "sign", but Mark also lists a bunch of other similar "signs". Do ALL of those "signs" follow ALL believers? Of course not! So you can't argue one sign (tongues) does, when you can't prove it to be true about all of the "signs" listed in Mark. So give it up... Mark does nothing to support the Pentecostalists’ false "doctrine" of "initial evidence" of tongues.

I Corinthians does say all are baptized with the same Spirit, but that same book also says that NOT all will speak in tongues, so there is no support for any "universal evidence" or that tongues IS that "evidence". More defeat from the Bible, huh?

Paul made the statement about speaking in tongues in the middle of his discussion about the GIFT of tongues. Paul also says in I Corinthians 12:30 that he doesn't believe all will speak in tongues! So, there's no proof that Paul began speaking in tongues in Acts 9 when he received the Holy Spirit. And, in fact, the Bible shows that he DIDN'T! No proof... just a bunch of useless opinions from another misguided Pentecostalists...

Poor old backward Pentecostalists... so ignorant of Scripture that they have to make up false "signs" to bolster their weak, non-existent "faith". After all, that's what Paul says, doesn't he? Tongues are a "sign" for UNbelievers... guess that's just what the Pentecostalists are... UNbelievers...

Trinitas

I don't need a "new song"... I got the Bible, Buck! I have proof in God's Word that your "doctrine" is a bunch of RUBBISH! What have you got? NOTHING!

Once again... the only one speaking from "silence" here is you Pentecostalists... making up things that never happened and that the Bible doesn't support. While the Bible says nothing, you have to run around, make up what the Bible never says, all in order to support your false beliefs. That's the true "argument from silence". Silence is all Pentecostalsts have!

Hey... is your "banning" up at CARM yet, Schmitty?
    Last edited by Trinitas; 04-23-2009 at 05:45 PM.

John Carr

You don't follow the Bible sir, you reject One God and follow a trumped up trinity idea that has no support , save a lying Pope and false followers.

Several people are show as the example for us baptized with the Holy Ghost, just like Jesus was being baptized in water as the initial person, then the Apostles and those they baptized .

One must follow what the Bible says and shows, not what post writers say and people like yourself that have no such truth.

Trinitas

If you think I "don't follow the Bible", then prove it! Show me the verse in the Bible that says ALL will speak in tongues as PROOF of their receiving the Holy Spirit. It's really that "simple"... prove it by quoting the Bible, or admit that your "doctrine" is false and unBiblical.

Sorry... your pointless Oneness "propaganda" is a waste of time... and a waste of your breath. I do not "reject" One God... All Trinitarians believe in ONE GOD! If you say otherwise, you're bearing false witness. I have never met a Trinitarian who believed in "three gods"... that's a LIE that Oneness propagate... but that's all it is... A LIE.

There are several examples where people speak in tongues as part of their receiving the Holy Spirit... but there are as many others that do NOT speak in tongues. So three for, and three against... and not a single verse in the entire Bible that says ALL will speak in tongues as the definitive "proof" of Spirit baptism. So, until you show me that verse, I will NOT believe the Pentecostalists' false teachings about tongues. I will believe the Bible. I will follow the Bible and the Bible doesn't say anything in support of your false "doctrine" of "initial evidence" of tongues. The one who has no truth is YOU... you're the one who rejects the teachings of Scripture over the man-made LIES of Oneness...

Sorry, RJC, but that's just the way it is...