Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: No A-Z; either 100% T or 100% F

Mesenja

Default I get it from Jesus and Paul

John 3:5

Jesus answered,‘Very truly,I tell you,no one can enter the kingdom of God without being born of 1. water and 2. Spirit.

***us 3:5

he saved us,not because of any works of righteousness that we had done,but according to his mercy,through the 1. water of rebirth and renewal by the 2. Holy Spirit.
    Last edited by Mesenja; 05-13-2010 at 04:13 PM.

Mesenja

Default Explain it for us then

Quote Originally Posted by Father_JD View Post

The "washing of regeneration" does NOT MEAN WATER BAPTISM. Read for once in your life...CONTEXTUALLY!
    Put in it's proper context what "the water of rebirth" is referring to then of being ""born of water? [***us 3:5 NRSV;John 3:3-5 NRSV] After you have finished doing that explain why the contextual meaning of what Jesus said is different then what the apostle Paul means by it.
    Last edited by Mesenja; 05-14-2010 at 05:53 PM.

Billyray

Quote Originally Posted by Mesenja View Post
    Put in it's proper context what "the water of rebirth" is referring to then or being ""born of water? [***us 3:5 NRSV;John 3:3-5 NRSV] After you have finished doing that explain why the contextual meaning of what Jesus said is different then what the apostle Paul means by it.
    Is baptism a requirement for salvation?

Mesenja

Default Only if you believe Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by Billyray View Post

The Savior said that "Very truly,I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God without being born of water and Spirit." Paul said that we are saved "through the water of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit". The ordinance of baptism must include the confirmation of the Holy Ghost or it is just half a baptism and ineffectual.

"The gospel requires baptism by immersion for the remission of sins,which is the meaning of the word in the original language—namely,to bury or immerse. … I further believe in the gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands, [as evidenced] by Peter’s preaching on the day of Pentecost. You might as well baptize a bag of sand as a man,if not done in view of the remission of sins and getting of the Holy Ghost. Baptism by water is but half a baptism, and is good for nothing without the other half—that is,the baptism of the Holy Ghost. The Savior says,‘Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit,he cannot enter into the kingdom of God" [History of the Church,5:499;punctuation modernized;paragraph divisions altered;from a discourse given by Joseph Smith on July 9,1843,in Nauvoo,Illinois;reported by Willard Richards]

nrajeff

Interpret this, jeff: I took an aspirin for my headache.
    ---Okay, let's go with that example. "I took an aspirin for my headache" means that:

"I took an aspirin in order to relieve my headache."

So, ****ogizing it to "I was baptized for the remission of my sins," it would read:

"I was baptized in order to have my sins remitted. "

Thanks for providing evidence that the LDS are right, FJD.

Billyray

Billy asked,

Mesenja replies
    The Savior said that . . . .
    I took that as a yes. You also seem to support the Catholic position especially with all of the ECF's quotes. If baptism is an absolute requirement for salvation then why can little children who die not need to be baptized if baptism is an absolute requirement? (I am not asking about age of accountable in this question so please don't give me that answer)

Mesenja

Default I support the Mormon position

Quote Originally Posted by Billyray View Post

I took that as a yes. You also seem to support the Catholic position especially with all of the ECF's quotes. If baptism is an absolute requirement for salvation then why can little children who die not need to be baptized if baptism is an absolute requirement? (I am not asking about age of accountable in this question so please don't give me that answer)

I can't help it if the ante-Nicene Fathers take a diametrically opposite position on baptism then you do. As to why we do not practice infant baptism the answer is found in the Book of Mormon.

THE BOOK OF MORONI
    CHAPTER 8

Infant baptism is an evil abomination—Little children are alive in Christ because of the atonement—Faith,repentance,meekness and lowliness of heart,receiving the Holy Ghost,and enduring to the end lead to salvation. Between A.D. 400 and 421

1 An epistle of my father Mormon,written to me,Moroni;and it was written unto me soon after my calling to the ministry. And on this wise did he write unto me,saying:
    2 My beloved son,Moroni,I rejoice exceedingly that your Lord Jesus Christ hath been mindful of you,and hath called you to his ministry,and to his holy work.
    3 I am mindful of you always in my prayers,continually praying unto God the Father in the name of his Holy Child,Jesus, that he,through his infinite goodness and grace,will keep you through the endurance of faith on his name to the end.
    4 And now, my son, I speak unto you concerning that which grieveth me exceedingly; for it grieveth me that there should disputations rise among you.
    5 For,if I have learned the truth,there have been disputations among you concerning the baptism of your little children.
    6 And now, my son,I desire that ye should labor diligently,that this gross error should be removed from among you;for,for this intent I have written this epistle.
    7 For immediately after I had learned these things of you I inquired of the Lord concerning the matter. And the word of the Lord came to me by the power of the Holy Ghost,saying:
    8 Listen to the words of Christ,your Redeemer,your Lord and your God. Behold,I came into the world not to call the righteous but sinners to repentance;the whole need no physician,but they that are sick;wherefore,little children are whole,for they are not capable of committing sin;wherefore the curse of Adam is taken from them in me,that it hath no power over them;and the law of circumcision is done away in me.
    9 And after this manner did the Holy Ghost manifest the word of God unto me; wherefore, my beloved son,I know that it is solemn mockery before God,that ye should baptize little children.
    10 Behold I say unto you that this thing shall ye teach—repentance and baptism unto those who are accountable and capable of committing sin;yea,teach parents that they must repent and be baptized,and humble themselves as their little children,and they shall all be saved with their little children.
    11 And their little children need no repentance,neither baptism. Behold,baptism is unto repentance to the fulfilling the commandments unto the remission of sins.
    12But little children are alive in Christ,even from the foundation of the world;if not so,God is a partial God, and also a changeable God,and a respecter to persons for how many little children have died without baptism!
    13 Wherefore,if little children could not be saved without baptism,these must have gone to an endless hell.
    14 Behold I say unto you,that he that supposeth that little children need baptism is in the gall of bitterness and in the bonds of iniquity;for he hath neither faith,hope,nor charity;wherefore,should he be cut off while in the thought,he must go down to hell.
    15 For awful is the wickedness to suppose that God saveth one child because of baptism, and the other must perish because he hath no baptism.
    16 Wo be unto them that shall pervert the ways of the Lord after this manner,for they shall perish except they repent. Behold,I speak with boldness,having authority from God;and I fear not what man can do;for perfect love casteth out all fear.
    17 And I am filled with charity,which is everlasting love;wherefore,all children are alike unto me;wherefore,I love little children with a perfect love;and they are all alike and partakers of salvation.
    18 For I know that God is not a partial God,neither a changeable being;but he is unchangeable from all eternity to all eternity.
    19 Little children cannot repent;wherefore, it is awful wickedness to deny the pure mercies of God unto them,for they are all alive in him because of his mercy.
    20 And he that saith that little children need baptism denieth the mercies of Christ,and setteth at naught the atonement of him and the power of his redemption.
    21 Wo unto such,for they are in danger of death,hell,and an endless torment. I speak it boldly;God hath commanded me. Listen unto them and give heed,or they stand against you at the judgment-seat of Christ.
    22 For behold that all little children are alive in Christ,and also all they that are without the law. For the power of redemption cometh on all them that have no law;wherefore, he that is not condemned,or he that is under no condemnation,cannot repent;and unto such baptism availeth nothing—
    23 But it is mockery before God, denying the mercies of Christ,and the power of his Holy Spirit,and putting trust in dead works.

nrajeff

Baptism is a requirement for all who fall under "accountable" status. Sorry if you don't want to hear that, but that's plain old Common Sense knocking at your door, and the wise thing to do is to let it in.

Billyray

I can't help it if the ante-Nicene Fathers take a diametrically opposite position on baptism then you do. As to why we do not practice infant baptism the answer is found in the Book of Mormon.
    “For Christ also said,'Except ye be born again,ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.' Now that it is impossible for those who have once been born to enter into their mothers' wombs,is manifest to all... And for this we have learned from the apostles this reason. Since at our birth we were born without our own knowledge or choice,by our parents coming together,and were brought up in bad habits and wicked training;in order that we may not remain the children of necessity and of ignorance,but may become the children of choice and knowledge,and may obtain in the water the remission of sins formerly committed,there is pronounced over him who chooses to be born again,and has repented of his sins,the name of God the Father and Lord of the universe.” [Justin Martyr,Ante-Nicene Fathers Vol. 1 Pg. 183,160 A.D.
    Justin Martyr believes in baptism--I believe in baptism. But baptism does not save. Salvation is by faith in Christ.

The Apostolic Fathers with Justin Martyr and Irenaeus
    JUSTIN MARTYR
    Chapter XIII.—Isaiah teaches that sins are forgiven through Christ’s blood.
    “For Isaiah did not send you to a bath, there to wash away murder and other sins, which not even all the water of the sea were sufficient to purge; but, as might have been expected, this was that saving bath of the olden time which followed those who repented, and who no longer were purified by the blood of goats and of sheep, or by the ashes of an heifer, or by the offerings of fine flour, but by faith through the blood of Christ, and through His death, who died for this very reason, as Isaiah himself said, when he spake thus: ‘The Lord shall make bare His holy arm in the eyes of all the nations, and all the nations and the ends of the earth shall see the salvation of God. "
    http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/anf01.viii.iv.xiii.html

Father_JD

Put in it's proper context what "the water of rebirth" is referring to then of being ""born of water? [***us 3:5 NRSV;John 3:3-5 NRSV] After you have finished doing that explain why the contextual meaning of what Jesus said is different then what the apostle Paul means by it.
    Duh. That thing called CONTEXT. Problem with you Mos is that you try to ram one definition or one usage down the throat of every p***age that mentions a given word...in this case, "washing".

So let's hear Paul speak for himself, huh?

Tts 3:4 But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared,

Tts 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
    Tts 3:6 Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;

Tts 3:7 That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

Catch that, M??

1. NOT saved by "works of righteousness" that we have done.
    2. It's according to GOD'S MERCY ( I suggest you go back and read Romans 10) which means NOTHING which one DOES.
    3. Washed by the REGENERATION AND RENEWING OF THE HOLY SPIRIT.
    4. We are JUSTIFIED BY GRACE and NOT by works as a causitive agent.

It's abundantly clear to those who don't have a "prophet" to sustain, that Paul is NOT TALKING ABOUT WATER BAPTISM!!!

(LOL. Just like Ezekiel wasn't talking about "scripture" in chapter 37).

Mesenja

Default This isn't the same pie

One of these things is not like the others,
    One of these things just doesn't belong,
    Can you tell which thing is not like the others
    By the time I finish my song?

Did you guess which thing was not like the others?
    Did you guess which thing just doesn't belong?
    If you guessed this one is not like the others,
    Then you're absolutely...right!

Billy believes that "everyone would like to think that they are right about every issue concerning Jesus but this may not be possible"
    You believe that even half truths added to truth as being ****ogous to "a gl*** half filled with pure water and the other half filed with sewer water. So it is with half truths. They are nothing more that 100% lies.
    "

Mesenja

Default We are washed by water

Duh. That thing called CONTEXT. Problem with you Mormons is that you try to ram one definition or one usage down the throat of every p***age that mentions a given word...in this case,"washing".

So let's hear Paul speak for himself,huh?

***us 3:4 But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared,

***us 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done but according to his mercy he saved us,by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

***us 3:6 Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;

***us 3:7 That being justified by his grace,we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

Catch that,Mesenja?

2. It's according to GOD'S MERCY (I suggest you go back and read Romans 10) which means NOTHING which one DOES.

It's abundantly clear to those who don't have a "prophet" to sustain,that Paul is NOT TALKING ABOUT WATER BAPTISM! (LOL. Just like Ezekiel wasn't talking about "scripture" in chapter 37).
    Jesus said to Nicodemus that without being "born of water and Spirit" no one would enter into "the kingdom of God" Paul taught that baptism which he describes as the "washing of regeneration" or "the water of rebirth" was the intervening agency that we receive grace by which we are saved through faith. Baptism by immersion in water is only half a baptism since we need the laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost to receive the "renewal by the Holy Spirit". The idea of birth,regeneration and rebirth are all linked to the medium of water which is always made separate from the idea of the "renewal by the Holy Spirit".

Father_JD

Originally Posted by Father_JD

Duh. That thing called CONTEXT. Problem with you Mormons is that you try to ram one definition or one usage down the throat of every p***age that mentions a given word...in this case,"washing".

So let's hear Paul speak for himself,huh?

***us 3:4 But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared,

***us 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done but according to his mercy he saved us,by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

***us 3:6 Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;

***us 3:7 That being justified by his grace,we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

Catch that,Mesenja?

2. It's according to GOD'S MERCY (I suggest you go back and read Romans 10) which means NOTHING which one DOES.

It's abundantly clear to those who don't have a "prophet" to sustain,that Paul is NOT TALKING ABOUT WATER BAPTISM! (LOL. Just like Ezekiel wasn't talking about "scripture" in chapter 37).

Jesus said to Nicodemus that without being "born of water and Spirit" no one would enter into "the kingdom of God" Paul taught that baptism which he describes as the "washing of regeneration" or "the water of rebirth" was the intervening agency that we receive grace by which we are saved through faith. Baptism by immersion in water is only half a baptism since we need the laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost to receive the "renewal by the Holy Spirit". The idea of birth,regeneration and rebirth are all linked to the medium of water which is always made separate from the idea of the "renewal by the Holy Spirit".

Your "Nuh-uh" NON-response is duly noted, M. I demonstrated from the CONTEXT WHAT PAUL MEANT, and you merely double back with your patented robotic unsupported ***ERTION and REFUSE TO ENGAGE PAUL'S WORDS FROM ***US.

Typical. Lame, Mormon reindeer trick.

LOL. You Mos simply won't address scripture that can't be twisted to agree with Mormonism!!

Mesenja

Default Another Nuh-uh from the Church

"The doctrine of baptism is one of the few teachings within Roman Catholicism for which it can be said that there is a universal consent of the Fathers....From the early days of the Church,baptism was universally perceived as the means of receiving four basic gifts:the remission of sins,deliverance from death,regeneration,and the bestowal of the Holy Spirit." [William Webster,The Church of Rome at the Bar of History,page 95-96]
    Quotes About Water Baptism
    Ignatius,A.D. 110

[Jesus] was born and baptized that by his suffering he might purify the water. (Letter to the Ephesians 18)
    Justin Martyr,c. A.D. 150
    So that we would not remain the children of necessity and ignorance but become the children of choice and knowledge,and so that we may obtain in the water the forgiveness of sins formerly committed. There is pronounced over the the person who chooses to be born again,and who has repented of their sins,the name of God,the Father and Lord of the universe. He who leads the person that is to be washed to the laver calls God by this name alone. And this washing is called illumination because those who learn these things are illuminated in their understanding. (First Apology 61)
    And this food is called among us the Eucharist,of which no one is allowed to partake but the man who believes that the things which we teach are true,who has been washed with the washing that is for the remission of sins and to regeneration,and who is so living as Christ has enjoined. (First Apology 66)
    Cyprian of Carthage

Because of this basin of repentance and knowledge of God,which has been ordained for the transgression of God’s people,as Isaiah cries,we have believed,and we testify that the very baptism which he announced is alone able to purify those who have repented. It is the water of life. But the cisterns which you have dug for yourselves are broken and of no benefit to you. For what is the use of a baptism which cleanses the flesh and body alone? Baptize the soul from wrath and from covetousness,from envy,and from hatred,and,lo,the body is pure. (Dialogue with Trypho 14)
    Those who have been dipped abroad—outside the Church—and have been stained among heretics and schismatics [Novatianists] with the taint of profane water. When they come to us and to the Church which is one,they ought to be baptized. The reason is that laying hands on them that they may receive the Holy Spirit is of little importance,unless they also receive the baptism of the Church. For then can they finally be fully sanctified and be the sons of God,if they be born of each sacrament,since it is written,"Except a man be born again of water,and of the Spirit,he cannot enter into the kingdom of God" [John 3:5]. (Epistles of Cyprian 7,as numbered by The Ante-Nicene Fathers, vol. V)

he saved us,not because of any works of righteousness that we had done,but according to his mercy,through the water of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit.

1. not because of any works of righteousness that we had done
    2. according to his mercy
    3. through* [Greek,"through";by means of] the water* [Greek washing] of rebirth

and

4. renewal by the Holy Spirit

1 Corinthians 6:11

And this is what some of you used to be. But you were washed,you were sanctified,you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God.

1. you were washed [water]
    2. you were sanctified [Holy Spirit]
    3. you were justified [by grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus]

Romans 15.16

to be a minister of Christ Jesus to the Gentiles in the priestly service of the gospel of God,so that the offering of the Gentiles may be acceptable,sanctified by the Holy Spirit.

Romans 3:24

they are now justified by his grace as a gift,through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus,
    Last edited by Mesenja; 05-24-2010 at 12:46 PM.

nrajeff

Mesenja, you're doing to our "opponents" what Russ used to threaten to do to us: Bury the other side in quotes that support your argument. Well done.

Mesenja

Default Thank you Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by nrajeff View Post

Mesenja, you're doing to our "opponents" what Russ used to threaten to do to us:Bury the other side in quotes that support your argument. Well done.
    However as you know debating with with our opponents on Walter Martin is an exercise in futility. This is based on two guiding principles they use in debate.

1. They will never concede anything to a Latter-day Saint.

2. They will always reject whatever is said by a Latter-day Saint only for the reason that we say it.

akaSeerone

However as you know debating with with our opponents on Walter Martin is an exercise in futility. This is based on two operating principles they use in debate.

1. They will never concede anything to a Latter-day Saint.

2. They will always reject whatever is said by a Latter-day Saint only for the reason that we say it.
    THAT IS AN OUTRIGHT LIE AND I AM SURE YOU KNOW IT.

JUST ANOTHER LAM
    E EXCUSE FOR NOT ADMITTING IT WHEN YOU HAVE BEEN PROVEN WRONG.

Andy

nrajeff

Quote Originally Posted by akaSeerone View Post
    [B]THAT IS AN OUTRIGHT LIE AND I AM SURE YOU KNOW IT.

---When was the last time you stated that you agreed with a point that an LDS poster made?

What % of time do you agree with the LDS?

I rest my case.

Father_JD

he saved us,not because of any works of righteousness that we had done, but according to his mercy, through the water of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit.

1. not because of any works of righteousness that we had done
    2. according to his mercy
    3. through* [Greek,"through";by means of] the water* [Greek washing] of rebirth

and

4. renewal by the Holy Spirit

1 Corinthians 6:11

And this is what some of you used to be. But you were washed,you were sanctified,you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God.

1. you were washed [water]
    2. you were sanctified [Holy Spirit]
    3. you were justified [by grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus]

Romans 15.16

to be a minister of Christ Jesus to the Gentiles in the priestly service of the gospel of God, so that the offering of the Gentiles may be acceptable,sanctified by the Holy Spirit.

Romans 3:24

they are now justified by his grace as a gift,through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus,

Hey, M. Apparently you haven't bothered to look at the Greek of ***us 3. "Water" DOES NOT APPEAR ANYWHERE IN THE GREEK.

You have NOT engaged the text other than to attempt to twist "washing" to mean WATER and loosely tie it to other verses which really don't make your case either.

Father_JD

Quote Originally Posted by nrajeff View Post
    Mesenja, you're doing to our "opponents" what Russ used to threaten to do to us: Bury the other side in quotes that support your argument. Well done.
    Well, according to all appearances, M. isn't HONEST, inserting the word, "water" into the text which doesn't appear in the Greek.

That's called making a case for "Twistianity", jeff.

Mesenja

Default I did no such thing

Well, according to all appearances,Mesenja isn't HONEST,inserting the word,"water" into the text which doesn't appear in the Greek. That's called making a case for "Twistianity",Jeff.
    First of all it wasn't my personal translation of this particular verse. Therefore I never inserted anything into the text. I also made it very clear that the Greek says washing.

through* [Greek,"through";by means of] the water* [Greek washing] of rebirth
    Now who is doing the twisting of what was actually said Father JD?

Father_JD

First of all it wasn't my personal translation of this particular verse. Therefore I never inserted anything into the text. I also made it very clear that the Greek says washing.

Now who is doing the twisting of what was actually said Father JD?
    There's NOTHING in the Greek text about WATER. I don't give a flip where you've come up with your BAD "translation" (JST perhaps??) or bit of EISEGESIS, M.

Mesenja

Default Then I wont bother telling you

There's NOTHING in the Greek text about WATER. I don't give a flip where you've come up with your BAD "translation" (JST perhaps??) or a bit of EISEGESIS,Mesenja.
    And for your information FatherJD it was not from the Inspired Version of the Bible by Joseph Smith,Jr. Here is that particular verse in the Joseph Smith translation of the Bible.

Not by works of righteousness which we have done,but according to his mercy he saved us,by the washing of regeneration,and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
    It still doesn't take away from the fact that you falsely accused me of "inserting the word,'water' into the text which doesn't appear in the Greek." You were shown to be wrong yet again.

through* [Greek,"through";by means of] the water* [Greek,washing] of rebirth

Father_JD

And for your information FatherJD it was not from the Inspired Version of the Bible by Joseph Smith,Jr. Here is that particular verse in the Joseph Smith translation of the Bible.

It still doesn't take away from the fact that you falsely accused me of "inserting the word,'water' into the text which doesn't appear in the Greek." You were shown to be wrong yet again.
    You DID insert the word, EVEN if you're transcribing it from somewhere else...

nrajeff

You DID insert the word, EVEN if you're transcribing it from somewhere else...
    ---You mean like sola fide Evans do, inserting "only" into "It is by faith that we are saved" ???