Thread: Home Altar, Prayer Closet, Domestic Church

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    alanmolstad

As I was saying, there is a deep-seated mistrust for any person that might confess to doing prayer while alone.

The "controllers" (people that need to control the lives of others)of this world simply don't like the idea that some people make a point of being "alone"

The idea of "private meditations" is upsetting to the "controllers" of this would because they fear the lack of control and direction that they expect to be the only possible result of being apart from guidance.

Some times I test the people I'm with to see how they come down on this issue?

I will at some point in our conversation tell them, "I meditate a lot by myself , In fact I have a room in my house set aside for such use"
    Some people, (not many but a few) tell me "Thats great, I wish I could do that"

However the more common response is one of suspicion, "Oh really?.........Why would a person want to do that?"

I think the suspicion is that without (their) guidance there is a real "danger" to the person that meditates while alone.
    Its as if they think that right in the middle of a prayer the person may decide to start a Cult or something?

The more suspicious may go so far as to ask, "What do you think about when you meditate?"

My answers to such questions are always a bit disappointing to hear it seems.
    My answers are so vague....But then they would have to be because my private meditations are, well rather "vague"...>LOL

Its not like every single time a person prays in the very same manner with the very same words every single time.
    And in fact the warnings of Jesus are that we are not to do that type of repe***ion prayer .

But I think that what is most important for the Christian and the real reason I value and suggest private meditation is...."It's Private!"

When we are instructed by our Lord on how to do prayer, He tells us to go into our private room, and shut the door.
    I think this is the most important part of the Lord's instructions.
    He tells us to "shut the door' for a reason.
    And that reason is that it allows the person to be free to be honest....
    to shed the pretense of "performance prayer"
    and for a brief moment just be who they truly are.....dull, boring, forgetful, etc....

You dont have to worry "What shall I think about when I meditate?"
    You dont have to worry, "What shall be my prayer topic?"
    You dont even have to worry "What words should i use to begin, what image should I have in my mind?"

The Lord already knows you fully, knows your needs, your faults, your heart.
    You don't even have to worry that your mind is blank and you cant think of anything to even start with.

you don't have to worry about that because you have already done the most important part..."You shut the door"

Remember the reason to shut the door is not to keep the lord out, it's to keep the world around you out.

You are alone.

Even if you are actually surrounded by many other people, you yet have shut out the world and it's din....
    Even if you are actually only alone in your own thoughts at the time....You are still alone.

The lord will help you with the other stuff...
    Last edited by alanmolstad; 03-23-2014 at 08:45 AM.

Columcille

The instruction of Jesus on the Sermon on the Mount in relationship to private prayer is not a declaration against public prayers. The repe***ion itself is not what Jesus is decrying, but the fact that the religious leaders at the time did it to be heard and recognized as being very spiritual in the eyes of others. The repe***ion of prayers is in reality not something formed by an individual, but comes out of the Jewish iden***y. The recitation of Psalms was a common practice, one that the Church adopted and simplified through the use of prayer ropes. In fact, it was custom to pray the complete 150 Psalms per week and the Eastern Orthodox still do this today with 20 kathismatas. Those who prayed in public were using their memorization skills and demonstrating their knowledge, while their hearts were far from the ideas espoused by the scriptures they quoted. In fact, Christ instructs us to do as they say not as they do.
    Personally, I don't understand your intent of even posting here. Your words attempt to appeal to the Christian listening in as though your spirituality should be equally validated to our own; but the substance of your expression is an***hetical to Christian doctrine. Hence, you will not get me to validate your experience as being like my own; even if there are similarities because we share the same human nature.

alanmolstad

Quote Originally Posted by Columcille View Post
    The instruction of Jesus on the Sermon on the Mount in relationship to private prayer is not a declaration against public prayers. .
    lets just read what it says and decide what it means from there...

"And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
    But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly."

I believe I have always kept the lord's command in mind when I pray, and when I have posted text and photos/video here on the subject.

--------------------------

Personally, I don't understand your intent of even posting here.
    Your words attempt to appeal to the Christian listening in as though your spirituality should be equally validated to our own; but the substance of your expression is an***hetical to Christian doctrine.
    Hence, you will not get me to validate your experience as being like my own; even if there are similarities because we share the same human nature.
    I dont really understand a word of that,
    but I think if you check again, you will find my many words on this topic are completely in harmony with the Word of God, and good advice for anyone who has a question about this topic.

I have posted on the vaue of private prayer.

I have posted on the value of being alone....of shutting the door, knowing that it is not to keep the Lord out that we shut the door, but do so to keep the world out.

And I have posted on the value of being able to shut the world out even if at the time you are in the middle of the world...of being able to tune-out the din of this world and its many cares, and find yourself alone in the middle of it.

All things I have learned from the recorded account of out Lord in the Bible.
    Last edited by alanmolstad; 03-26-2014 at 09:13 AM.

Columcille

Your videos and photos are of a Far Eastern perspective, not based on Scripture except where you only point out similarities. The differences are huge because it is centered on the self and not on God. The Catholic prayer altar, our prayer closet, so to speak in our domesticated (family) church as a mirror to the communal (Liturgical-Ecclesiastic) church centers on the very nature of God as we view the Crucified Christ, the example of the saints, and through reading of Scripture, liturgical prayer books and private devotions. Your focus is not on this, but of some naturalistic methodology to quiet the soul. God is not a methodology or tool to be used, God is a living being that created the world and all things. Not an ever changing en***y like Brahman of the Hindus or variations in Far Eastern philosophies.

alanmolstad

Your videos and photos are of a Far Eastern perspective, ....
    so?
    There is nothing wrong with having a few swords ....
    You should know that.
    I should not have to tell you that.

Is there something I have written that you call into question?

Or are you just upset at the way my wife positioned the couch table?

I have posted tons...and TONS of comments on this forum...
    Go have a look for even one example of where you think my teachings and views are not 100% in-line with the bible...

I dont think you can.......I think right now you are just starting to see this too...
    Last edited by alanmolstad; 03-26-2014 at 10:24 AM.

alanmolstad

I think you are going to end up backing-away from this suggestion that my views are not 100% bible supported...

alanmolstad

I can support everything I have written with the bible...

The things I say are not my own ideas.
    Im not dreaming this stuff up!

All that I post is based on the teachings of Walter Martin and my own time in Bible School...

I say things only that I can prove, or have been proven to me...

I invite you putting any of my posts to the test of scripture...
    But dont say Im not in agreement with the bible, and then to support this try to say that the reason is that Im doing things different than the way one catholic guy does things..

Thats nuts.

Im not catholic....
    I have never claimed to be catholic.
    and so Im not going to fake being catholic.

I am baptized Catholic, but I dont have anything but ill feelings to the whole Child abuse stuff.
    Last edited by alanmolstad; 03-26-2014 at 10:22 AM.

alanmolstad

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    I can support everything I have written with the bible...

The things I say are not my own ideas.
    Im not dreaming this stuff up!

All that I post is based on the teachings of Walter Martin and my own time in Bible School...

I say things only that I can prove, or have been proven to me...

I invite you putting any of my posts to the test of scripture...
    But dont say Im not in agreement with the bible, and then to support this try to say that the reason is that Im doing things different than the way one catholic guy does things..

Thats nuts.

Im not catholic....
    I have never claimed to be catholic.
    and so Im not going to fake being catholic.

I am baptized Catholic, but I dont have anything but ill feelings to the whole Child abuse stuff.
    After I posted this I never heard back from anyone.
    The topic is not of interest to many here it seems...and I guess that is to be expected.
    Not many people actually take the time and make the effort to set aside a place that is only for prayer and meditation.
    And as far as i know, from the homes of the Mormons I have been in, the idea of a "Home Alter" or a "prayer Closet" is not something the Mormons do.....

(perhaps they do, but I sure have not run into it yet with my Mormon friends)

So the topic here dies a lonely death.

but from time to time I do toss the idea out there, and also tell others about my meditation room, and how there is merit and support in the Bible for finding a time and place to be alone.

To be able to shut the door, block out all the concerns of being a parent , spouse, a child, and just be who you are with God alone.

To think about things in your own way.
    To pick topics to think about that only you know.
    To deal with personal issues without "advice" from others getting in the way.
    To pray to God without needing to have it perfect.

Libby

I did run into one Utah Mormon who had a prayer altar, at home. She was mainstream LDS and they also did family prayer circle. She was criticized by other LDS for doing that, because prayer circle is strictly for the Temple. I think her altar was also set up, as it was in the Temple. She said, this was common practice for early Mormons.

alanmolstad

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    I did run into one Utah Mormon who had a prayer altar, at home. She was mainstream LDS and they also did family prayer circle. She was criticized by other LDS for doing that, because prayer circle is strictly for the Temple. .
    So what is this "family prayer circle"?....and why ban people who are Mormon from doing thisat home with their family?

brisbenea

I have not heard of "family prayer circle" in Christianity.

Columcille

I don't know either. Been away for some time. I have had a lot on my plate. Still do to some degree.