Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Altar, Prayer Closet, Domestic Church

Columcille

Default Home Altar, Prayer Closet, Domestic Church

Here is a website that I feel provides the most complete list of ideas in creating a home altar. It is a "Traditional" Catholic website:
    http://www.fisheaters.com/domesticchurch.html

There is not much really else to add to the list, but I found some things that might be of interest to my own.

There are some general ideas for discussion about the domesticated church and how the "Family Altar" or "Prayer Closet" is incorporated.

So the first natural question is going to be:

1) Who here has their own "home altar?"

2 A) If you do have one, what does it include? (icons, crucifix, prayer kneeler, etc.)

2B) if you do not have a home alter, what do you use to help bring about family devotions? (i.e. do you set a time (after dinner, right before bedtime) or stage a mood (play some music, light a candle, dim the lights) prior to reading scripture or say a Christian cl***ic like "Pilgrim's Progress" or "In His Steps" or "My Utmost For His Highest?)

3) Is a home altar a good idea?
    A1) does it work for you and your family those that have created one?
    A2) Are there any other suggestions that might be useful to add to your prayer closet?
    B1) for that that do not have one, What kinds of objections do you have concerning it?
    B2) What kinds of things might you adapt into your own prayer closet that is suggested by the website, or what kinds of suggestions might you include that is not on the website.

My answers are as follows:
    1) I sort of have one, but it is a temporary and growing one. Something I can set up easy on the go.

2) I own a few icons... San Damiano Crucifix, icons of Christ, the Theotokos, St. Basil the Great with St. John Chrysostom, the Nativity of Christ, Sts Patrick, Francis of ***isi, and Joan of Arc seperately. For traveling, I own a small Dipytich of Christ and the Theotokos.
    Various prayer ropes... an Orthodox Jesus Prayer rope, Dominican Rosary, Franciscan Crown, Anglican rosary... to name a few.
    Of course, I have several books on prayer and devotionals... Imitation of Christ, Dark Night of the Soul, plenty of Scripture, and the four volume Liturgy of the Hours.
    I have a black marble vase for liturgical flowers and a black marble bowl I can use as a baptismal font.
    I also have something I bought from Iraq that is uniquely muslim, but I am going to use it for my home altar... it is a lined box with the top has some folding arms that prop up to be used to place the scriptures on. Imagine it with a "V" shape that turns into a sort of "M" or upsidedown "W" and can collapse flat. I have various sizes of some wooden stands that when propped open looks like a "X" and collapses into an "I" or imagine like a "H" shaped where the middle is interlapped. Hard to show without a picture.
    I believe I have attached a picture of the "X" shaped one. I'll use the box for Scripture, and the others for the Imitation of Christ and the Liturgy of the Hours.
    Will be using votive candles in front of icons.
    A few holy cards with Nicene Creed, Apostles Creed, Prayer for Peace (attributed wrongly to St. Francis of ***isi, but definitely Franciscan)

3) I believe the family altar helps focus our senses on the things of God. I hope to get a censure to burn some incense, might have a salt box and get some sea salt blessed. In this way, I can have the sense of taste to remind me that we are the salt of the earth and the sense of smell with the incense and the smoke rising to remind me of our prayers offered up to God as Revelations mentions. I have already added an idea for the home altar not mentioned in the site in using the book stands.

john100

The parable of the prodigal son comes to mind. Being the father (or in your case the husband or the children) is no easy task. God bless you. You are in my prayers.

Columcille

Quote Originally Posted by john100 View Post
    The parable of the prodigal son comes to mind. Being the father (or in your case the husband or the children) is no easy task. God bless you. You are in my prayers.
    Not sure I understand your reference as it applies to the original post.

Since the topic I addressed is in regards to constructing a private prayer closet, or a home altar, the task of relationship with your family should be centered around God and also almsgiving to others. The Prodigal Son's example was clearly self-centered to spend his inheritance on fleshly desires, but so was the other Son that reflects a Jewish en***lement to the Father's grace. Building a home altar is only a symbol that is more than a symbol; it is something which is efficient. This is why the Iconoclast was rejected by the Early Church, because the world bares the stamp of God's creative work. When an iconographer in prayer and in art expresses the divine message of the Gospel story or of a saint, it resonates in our creative imagination which God's nature participates within us. A home without symbols is a home without memory.
    In this sense, the Prodigal Son recalls the life of the servants being better than his own current circumstance. Eating "pig slop" is symbolic of its an***hesis of how much better the servants eat under the care of their master.

NAB*|*Lk 15:11 Then he said, “A man had two sons, 12 and the younger son said to his father, ‘Father, give me the share of your estate that should come to me.’ So the father divided the property between them. 13 After a few days, the younger son collected all his belongings and set off to a distant country where he squandered his inheritance on a life of dissipation. 14 When he had freely spent everything, a severe famine struck that country, and he found himself in dire need. 15 So he hired himself out to one of the local citizens who sent him to his farm to tend the swine. 16 And he longed to eat his fill of the pods on which the swine fed, but nobody gave him any. 17 Coming to his senses he thought, ‘How many of my father’s hired workers have more than enough food to eat, but here am I, dying from hunger. 18 I shall get up and go to my father and I shall say to him, “Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. 19 I no longer deserve to be called your son; treat me as you would treat one of your hired workers.”’ 20 So he got up and went back to his father. While he was still a long way off, his father caught sight of him, and was filled with comp***ion. He ran to his son, embraced him and kissed him. 21 His son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you; I no longer deserve to be called your son.’ 22 But his father ordered his servants, ‘Quickly bring the finest robe and put it on him; put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. 23 Take the fattened calf and slaughter it. Then let us celebrate with a feast, 24 because this son of mine was dead, and has come to life again; he was lost, and has been found.’ Then the celebration began. 25 Now the older son had been out in the field and, on his way back, as he neared the house, he heard the sound of music and dancing. 26 He called one of the servants and asked what this might mean. 27 The servant said to him, ‘Your brother has returned and your father has slaughtered the fattened calf because he has him back safe and sound.’ 28 He became angry, and when he refused to enter the house, his father came out and pleaded with him. 29 He said to his father in reply, ‘Look, all these years I served you and not once did I disobey your orders; yet you never gave me even a young goat to feast on with my friends. 30 But when your son returns who swallowed up your property with pros***utes, for him you slaughter the fattened calf.’ 31 He said to him, ‘My son, you are here with me always; everything I have is yours. 32 But now we must celebrate and rejoice, because your brother was dead and has come to life again; he was lost and has been found.’”

steve1234

sounds very good to me.... and thanks for sharing the link

alanmolstad

This topic is of interest to me due to a photo i saw on facebook yesterday.....give me a moment....

alanmolstad

alter1.jpg

I saw this posted on Facebook, and posted this in response:

"
    While I dont give a rip what the person worships...I do need to point out that this is a "WRONG" way to worship anything!
    Im talking about what appears to be a crazy fire hazard.

I mean, dont it also appear to you guys that the person who set up the stuff in the photo is asking for a chance to meet the local Fireman?

The backdrop bed sheet is draped down within inches of a flame.

The incense burner is the cheap kind that they sell at the Dollar Store to Canadians!
    It looks like there is even a paper towel under it to catch the hot ash?

Look, I have a great incense burner that I made that is safe and can hold a ton of burning sticks without worry you are going to set fire to the house., if you want I can post a photo of it?

The fake flowers, the statues, almost everything on that table is likely to be burnable.

The other issue I have with the things seen in the photo are the eggs.
    You should NEVER have open flame around items that you know are going to be reached for by little kids.
    Colored eggs are like magic to little kids.
    Kids ***ume that there is candy inside them.

That's what colored eggs are designed to do....Contain candy!

If you have colored eggs on a table with that much open flame???? I dont care how careful you are or how many warnings you give, the kids in the room are going to be fighting over who can grab them first.

Now I dont have a problem with a special meditation area set up at special times of the year.
    But you should be able to set something up that you can turn your back on for a moment without risking burning down the whole house!

I got no problem with the bell, or with the what appears to be a knife at the end of the table, or with the idea of a candle burning too.
    But frankly, there are a lot smarter ways of setting up a home alter that do not have such a built-in risk factor."

This is so difficult I cannot stress enough. I applaud every mention to these ends of the closet / altar / quiet-time / with one or many. It is blessed to be in its schedule. I count it a blessing to see Him withhold answers through the years so my patience and character begins to be formed into Christ’s which I am miles away from.

What do I have to show for it? Life, the life of Christ’s Spirit who slowly begins to reveal himself “openly”. Since He is “the God of the living”, that heaviness of chore will begin to lift if we ask. If we “have not because we ask not” nor receive because of answer consuming “lust”, then there is your first item for the altar. And it is never, never, never too late to start.

This may not be the case for someone else, and honestly, I don’t have any problem whatsoever with someone wanting to include items at their home altar. But my own effort to formulate was dead from the start. It was what was in me I suppose. It came down to the most fundamental of items, a heart and knees.

Things didn’t start to get empowered till I dealt with every last area of letting Him rule in my life, and wanting Him to be included in my life, and wanting His will, purpose and praise upon my life.

That old man is one heckuva stubborn part of creation that wreaks havoc upon Christian progress, and along with that sensitive and patient trust in Him came also a humbling of the ambitious self. Even when it meant the collective family unit wasn’t ready for what the head was. My alter continued with seldom interruption of my lack of scheduling and waited for my time to have privilege once again.

5“When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. 6“But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.” (Matthew 6:5, 6)

Possibly, you have seen Christians on both sides of this, from grandstand resistance to not. But the one is just as bad as the other, for notice:

“Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 5:19)

To use an extreme example to witness the truth of these two verses, a rich man takes to the pulpit and begins to expound upon the importance of prayer and good works before a major metro’s crowd of dignitary and influential 2500 strong in attendance with extensive media coverage. What is it within that makes the difference?

The glory seeking heart of two that informs does so with exposed reverence (V19B), or hides high on a perch (V19A).

I don’t know, has it been said elsewhere; that we crawl before we walk, and walk before we kneel, and kneel before we cry, ABBA, Father!

Stay with it, one day you’ll be delighted to find He was watching and waiting all the time. That true “sup with him” that lasts is just as He promised.
    Last edited by MichaellS; 08-03-2013 at 04:57 AM.

alanmolstad

I don't have an "Home Altar," as it were, but I do have a special room that I do enjoy meditation and prayer within...

Its not designed as one would if you followed the suggestions in the link on the first post but its still a place that I do think about when I need to shut the door and be quiet and alone.

I will see if I still have a photo on my computer to post?

alanmolstad

Columcille

I don't particularly understand the items used in Far Eastern house shrines or home altars outside the Catholic/Orthodox practice. The whole point for us is that the objects are visual sign of God's grace and are to uplift the senses to the things of God. I was thinking on the video that the long item looked more like a peace pipe to smoke some mind altering drugs. And certainly there are some religions that support this type of experimentation. What is the purpose of the video show someone's collection of Japanese katana? I might think the person was just as much into Japanese manga and anime. My wife is Japanese and the home altar at her parents house is something dedicated to the memory of her deceased grandparents. In essence, I relate the shrine at her parent's house as being similar in nature to our asking intercessory prayer from the saints. Just because there are similarities does not necessary mean equivalency. To those Christians here, it is almost the same type of argument that evolutionists make in comparison of mankind to apes. As Christians, we do not believe in macro-evolution just because an ape has similarities to our species. It is the same here, not all things done in establishing a place of solitude for the purpose of prayer and meditation stem from copying another religion. Nor is copying another religion necessarily mean that all things within that religion are evil. The easiest way for getting a person to eat poison is to mask it with real food to cover the taste.

alanmolstad

God I love receiving back nice long , juiicy comments that i can really sink my teeth into!

Lets start with....um...the start -
    Quote Originally Posted by Columcille View Post
    I don't particularly understand.. .
    I get that

The ***le of your topic that caught my eye is "Home Altar, Prayer Closet, Domestic Church" and that led me to intorduce my comments with - "I don't have an "Home Altar," as it were, but I do have a special room that I do enjoy meditation and prayer within...

Its not designed as one would if you followed the suggestions in the link on the first post but its still a place that I do think about when I need to shut the door and be quiet and alone.

As I tried to point out, I don't have the "Home Altar" or the "Domestic Church" of your ***le, but I do have a "Prayer Closet" as it were....a special room where I go to be alone, shutting the door and will not be disturbed by the commotion of normal family life.

A long time ago I listened to a church sermon about the importance of finding a time alone . The example in this sermon was the many times in the Bible were we see men of faith including Jesus Himself, going off by themselves to pray.

This became my own example to follow in too.
    Now the design of my Prayer Closet is going to be different than another's, (and clearly of yours), but perhaps that too is an important thing to show people?...in that everybody is different.

Some have a room with a real Home Altar with a cross of gold, and everything to provide the "bells & smells".
    Others have the only the front seat of the car on the drive to work.

But the important issue is that the person understands that being alone with their thoughts is a very good goal for us to seek.
    Last edited by alanmolstad; 02-18-2014 at 07:35 AM.

alanmolstad

The whole point for us is that the objects are visual sign of God's grace and are to uplift the senses to the things of God. .
    If a person has the room to spare?, and has the objects?...then that one way to go.

I would never try to say that each of us have to acquire the very same objects because that would be too restricting.
    But I do see the point in a person with some spare room, be it a shelf, or a dashboard, or in my case a whole room, with being able to glance over and see items that remind themselves of their spiritual walk.

In my case, the things that remind me of my spiritual walk are the things I use during combat in my sword cl*** or in the highly tense moments of my life that happen when doing compe***ion cutting.
    These are the items that bring me a sense of calmness in my busy world.
    These are the things I have acquired over the years that mean many things to me, that likely many other people will never understand.

But, regardless, the items i have in my Prayer Closet serve my prayer life the same as the other objects found gathered around other people in theirs.
    They help set a tone of contemplation and meditation.

alanmolstad

I was thinking on the video that the long item looked more like a peace pipe to smoke some mind altering drugs. .
    If you are into that ( from your comment I understand you are dropping a hint here) I do have some friends that , well, lets just say that experience daily life with that little extra buzz ...that makes them always in a very good mood....and for some reason always hungry too?

alanmolstad

What is the purpose of the video show someone's collection of Japanese katana? .
    The room is my own version of your ***les "Prayer Closet"
    I would hope that in watching the video that shows what I call my "Meditation Room" that a person gets the idea that this is a quiet room.
    It's a room where you sit on the floor, (there are no chairs here)
    its a room where yes, you can see swords, but also where you can see the stand that i made to hold the swords, the table filled with all of the items left me by my father, (His WWII army gear and hunting gear), the flag that draped across my dad's casket.
    The stone my brother took when the Berlin Wall fell, a section of tree dug from the earth that I took to the University and they dated it's age at between 8,000 and 18,000 years old, and the last letter I received from my dad before he p***ed away.
    I have already talked about the swords and such, they are very meaningful to me.
    But perhaps too personal to be understood by others?

alanmolstad

I might think the person was just as much into Japanese manga and anime.
    Not my style.
    I run into kids that are into that stuff, but I just dont get it?

They talk about things, even kids that have never met each other before seem to be able to have these long detailed conversations about such stuff.
    I listen to them chat away for a while, then I walk off to do other things shaking my head.....I simply dont get manga...

alanmolstad

....My wife is Japanese and the home altar at her parents house is something dedicated to the memory of her deceased grandparents. In essence, I relate the shrine at her parent's house as being similar in nature to our asking intercessory prayer from the saints. .
    There is a type of special-use cabinet that appears in many homes.
    It is set aside to provide a place where the memory of a person's parents and others who have p***ed is brought to mind.

There is a common manner that many people on this earth share, of seeking mementos of lost loved ones and displaying them in a manner that we believe is respectful to them.

A special cabinet, a bunch of photos alone a hallway wall, or a set of plates used everyday, it doesn't really matter the form.
    What is important is that this same desire to gather around us things that remind us of our lost ones is clearly universal to us all.
    So it must be an important part of what makes us who we are as humans.
    Last edited by alanmolstad; 02-18-2014 at 07:40 AM.

alanmolstad

To those Christians here, it is almost the same type of argument that evolutionists make in comparison of mankind to apes.

As Christians, we do not believe in macro-evolution just because an ape has similarities to our species.

Ok....you lost me here, and I think you gummed up the point you were attempting to make with a pointless dive into the waters of the Evolution/Creationism debate.
    i dont believe in YE Creationism, but I dont want to go way off-track here, so lets move on.

alanmolstad

.... It is the same here, not all things done in establishing a place of solitude for the purpose of prayer and meditation stem from copying another religion. ....
    in some cases, it might.
    One religion has always had sway over the next.
    catholic ways of doing things were greatly changed as the church moved in and took over other religions with their special things and dates being converted to more christian things and dates.

So we do copy each other, and that is how religions move and change with the times.

That is how we know what area of history we are talking about when we study church history.

We tend to copy, we tend to take from others and convert it to reflect what we want them to reflect.

alanmolstad

The easiest way for getting a person to eat poison is to mask it with real food to cover the taste.
    I dont really know where you are going with this point?
    It's kinda out of the blue for our topic of " Home Altar, Prayer Closet, Domestic Church"

Columcille

Just because there are similarities does not necessarily equate exactness. People meditate in Far Eastern religions for a different purpose and even a different practice. In Far Eastern meditation it is a clearing of the mind, but in Christian meditation it is thinking upon God and the Scriptures. The motivations are quite different that it is set apart as much as a different species. I used the ****ogy not as a means of arguing evolution, but to demonstrate a gulf of difference even if there are shared similarities. Christianity in the first three centuries overtook the paganism of Rome in a very unique way; our persecutions demonstrated the corruption and inconsistency of pagan practice. The peace you feel in your own way, I do not doubt you feel such. I just think it a cheap imitation, and I am not talking about the use of objects as it relates to monetary value but rather in what you hope to accomplish in the end game.

alanmolstad

Ok....First, I think that the teachings known "Young Earth Creationism" are all WRONG!

Second, Meditation is an important part of many Christians lives.

It is found in the example of our Lord, in that before and after many big events in his life we first find him seeking a place to be alone with his thoughts and prayers.
    See Luke 5:16
    as well as - Matthew 14:23 Mark 1:35 Luke 6:12 Luke 9:28 Luke 6:12 Matthew 14:23 Mark 1:35,36 John 6:15

So the idea is well supported in Scripture that there is great merit and value in finding time to be alone with your thoughts before and after great events in your personal life.

Third, anyone who plays sports knows there is a tremendous advantage is finding time to be alone with one's own thoughts before a sporting event or compe***ion.

From watching Olympic champions prepare before a race, to watching the local high school team get ready before taking the field, you see a moment when each athlete finds a way to put aside the din and noise of pre-game commotion , and pause within one's own thoughts.

In the Christian's life the need to find time to meditate is also great, but there is almost a Western fear of being alone in the Church.

We struggle to find time to be alone because we live lives that we keep filled so that we are never alone.
    iPads, smart phones are used to keep our minds busy the moment we find ourselves alone.

Many Christian Church religious teachers have very little advice to give on meditation because they themselves are strangers to the concept.

In the American church we tend to view as almost suspicious when a brother or sister talks about their time spent alone in their own version of the "Prayer Closet"........viewing such time spent alone as almost "kinda creepy".

Ever heard an American Christian minister suggest that members go off by themselves into their backyards, kneel down and spend some time in prayer?....it's rare advice to hear, I have not heard it once.

The christian advice I mostly hear is that we tend to view prayer as a "corporate endeavor".

When many Christians hear of other Christians (like myself) engaging in private prayer, all alone, in a private place that is shut-off from the rest of the world?.... their reaction is to call this into question....suggesting that such type of private meditation is "different","dangerous" and "not to be advised".

My own view is that I have come to value the moments of quietness that I have been able to carve out for myself in my busy life.

I sometimes find that such times that I am able to enter into my Meditation room, shut the door, LOCK IT!, and sit on the floor undisturbed are really the most important moments of my week.

Even going now on my late 50s I find myself in sporting compe***ions and I have found it really helps me to stop being so nervous if before I hear my named called I can pause......turn down the din.....and finally remember the things that are truly important.
    Last edited by alanmolstad; 03-19-2014 at 07:55 AM.

Columcille

When Jesus was tempted in the wilderness, he was alone away from the people; however, as Jesus stated that "Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God." The meditation of Christians is on the very scriptures and the nature of God. Meditation by the greatest Christian mystics of history recognize this aspect of meditation on the scripture and its relational aspects with serving God by our sacrifices and obedience. St. John of the Cross in his Dark Night of the Soul, Ascent to Mt. Carmel clearly shows this relational aspect. Being alone is not an emptying of one's mind, but of an opportunity to fill it.
    Also, I am not concerned with science... so I am not arguing for a young earth vs. old earth. In fact, I find such discussion bores me because there is nothing of practical use to me in it. I believe the Scriptures, I believe in Sacred Tradition. I don't have to understand the mechanics of how a car operates to drive it. I don't have to understand that billions of atoms are moving at such a fast speed in my chair to trust the chair will hold me up when I sit on it. Just because I state something about the species being like but totally different does not mean I am arguing for some scientific theory, just making a comparison.

alanmolstad

As I was saying, there is a deep-seated mistrust for any person that might confess to doing prayer while alone.

The "controllers" (people that need to control the lives of others)of this world simply don't like the idea that some people make a point of being "alone"

The idea of "private meditations" is upsetting to the "controllers" of this would because they fear the lack of control and direction that they expect to be the only possible result of being apart from guidance.

Some times I test the people I'm with to see how they come down on this issue?

I will at some point in our conversation tell them, "I meditate a lot by myself , In fact I have a room in my house set aside for such use"
    Some people, (not many but a few) tell me "Thats great, I wish I could do that"

However the more common response is one of suspicion, "Oh really?.........Why would a person want to do that?"

I think the suspicion is that without (their) guidance there is a real "danger" to the person that meditates while alone.
    Its as if they think that right in the middle of a prayer the person may decide to start a Cult or something?

The more suspicious may go so far as to ask, "What do you think about when you meditate?"

My answers to such questions are always a bit disappointing to hear it seems.
    My answers are so vague....But then they would have to be because my private meditations are, well rather "vague"...>LOL

Its not like every single time a person prays in the very same manner with the very same words every single time.
    And in fact the warnings of Jesus are that we are not to do that type of repe***ion prayer .

But I think that what is most important for the Christian and the real reason I value and suggest private meditation is...."It's Private!"

When we are instructed by our Lord on how to do prayer, He tells us to go into our private room, and shut the door.
    I think this is the most important part of the Lord's instructions.
    He tells us to "shut the door' for a reason.
    And that reason is that it allows the person to be free to be honest....
    to shed the pretense of "performance prayer"
    and for a brief moment just be who they truly are.....dull, boring, forgetful, etc....

You dont have to worry "What shall I think about when I meditate?"
    You dont have to worry, "What shall be my prayer topic?"
    You dont even have to worry "What words should i use to begin, what image should I have in my mind?"

The Lord already knows you fully, knows your needs, your faults, your heart.
    You don't even have to worry that your mind is blank and you cant think of anything to even start with.

you don't have to worry about that because you have already done the most important part..."You shut the door"

Remember the reason to shut the door is not to keep the lord out, it's to keep the world around you out.

You are alone.

Even if you are actually surrounded by many other people, you yet have shut out the world and it's din....
    Even if you are actually only alone in your own thoughts at the time....You are still alone.

The lord will help you with the other stuff...
    Last edited by alanmolstad; 03-23-2014 at 08:45 AM.

Columcille

The instruction of Jesus on the Sermon on the Mount in relationship to private prayer is not a declaration against public prayers. The repe***ion itself is not what Jesus is decrying, but the fact that the religious leaders at the time did it to be heard and recognized as being very spiritual in the eyes of others. The repe***ion of prayers is in reality not something formed by an individual, but comes out of the Jewish iden***y. The recitation of Psalms was a common practice, one that the Church adopted and simplified through the use of prayer ropes. In fact, it was custom to pray the complete 150 Psalms per week and the Eastern Orthodox still do this today with 20 kathismatas. Those who prayed in public were using their memorization skills and demonstrating their knowledge, while their hearts were far from the ideas espoused by the scriptures they quoted. In fact, Christ instructs us to do as they say not as they do.
    Personally, I don't understand your intent of even posting here. Your words attempt to appeal to the Christian listening in as though your spirituality should be equally validated to our own; but the substance of your expression is an***hetical to Christian doctrine. Hence, you will not get me to validate your experience as being like my own; even if there are similarities because we share the same human nature.

alanmolstad

The instruction of Jesus on the Sermon on the Mount in relationship to private prayer is not a declaration against public prayers. .
    lets just read what it says and decide what it means from there...

"And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
    But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly."

I believe I have always kept the lord's command in mind when I pray, and when I have posted text and photos/video here on the subject.

--------------------------

Personally, I don't understand your intent of even posting here.
    Your words attempt to appeal to the Christian listening in as though your spirituality should be equally validated to our own; but the substance of your expression is an***hetical to Christian doctrine.
    Hence, you will not get me to validate your experience as being like my own; even if there are similarities because we share the same human nature.
    I dont really understand a word of that,
    but I think if you check again, you will find my many words on this topic are completely in harmony with the Word of God, and good advice for anyone who has a question about this topic.

I have posted on the vaue of private prayer.

I have posted on the value of being alone....of shutting the door, knowing that it is not to keep the Lord out that we shut the door, but do so to keep the world out.

And I have posted on the value of being able to shut the world out even if at the time you are in the middle of the world...of being able to tune-out the din of this world and its many cares, and find yourself alone in the middle of it.

All things I have learned from the recorded account of out Lord in the Bible.
    Last edited by alanmolstad; 03-26-2014 at 09:13 AM.