Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home Altar, Prayer Closet, Domestic Church

Columcille

Your videos and photos are of a Far Eastern perspective, not based on Scripture except where you only point out similarities. The differences are huge because it is centered on the self and not on God. The Catholic prayer altar, our prayer closet, so to speak in our domesticated (family) church as a mirror to the communal (Liturgical-Ecclesiastic) church centers on the very nature of God as we view the Crucified Christ, the example of the saints, and through reading of Scripture, liturgical prayer books and private devotions. Your focus is not on this, but of some naturalistic methodology to quiet the soul. God is not a methodology or tool to be used, God is a living being that created the world and all things. Not an ever changing en***y like Brahman of the Hindus or variations in Far Eastern philosophies.

alanmolstad

Quote Originally Posted by Columcille View Post
    Your videos and photos are of a Far Eastern perspective, ....
    so?
    There is nothing wrong with having a few swords ....
    You should know that.
    I should not have to tell you that.

Is there something I have written that you call into question?

Or are you just upset at the way my wife positioned the couch table?

I have posted tons...and TONS of comments on this forum...
    Go have a look for even one example of where you think my teachings and views are not 100% in-line with the bible...

I dont think you can.......I think right now you are just starting to see this too...
    Last edited by alanmolstad; 03-26-2014 at 10:24 AM.

alanmolstad

I think you are going to end up backing-away from this suggestion that my views are not 100% bible supported...

alanmolstad

I can support everything I have written with the bible...

The things I say are not my own ideas.
    Im not dreaming this stuff up!

All that I post is based on the teachings of Walter Martin and my own time in Bible School...

I say things only that I can prove, or have been proven to me...

I invite you putting any of my posts to the test of scripture...
    But dont say Im not in agreement with the bible, and then to support this try to say that the reason is that Im doing things different than the way one catholic guy does things..

Thats nuts.

Im not catholic....
    I have never claimed to be catholic.
    and so Im not going to fake being catholic.

I am baptized Catholic, but I dont have anything but ill feelings to the whole Child abuse stuff.
    Last edited by alanmolstad; 03-26-2014 at 10:22 AM.

alanmolstad

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    I can support everything I have written with the bible...

The things I say are not my own ideas.
    Im not dreaming this stuff up!

All that I post is based on the teachings of Walter Martin and my own time in Bible School...

I say things only that I can prove, or have been proven to me...

I invite you putting any of my posts to the test of scripture...
    But dont say Im not in agreement with the bible, and then to support this try to say that the reason is that Im doing things different than the way one catholic guy does things..

Thats nuts.

Im not catholic....
    I have never claimed to be catholic.
    and so Im not going to fake being catholic.

I am baptized Catholic, but I dont have anything but ill feelings to the whole Child abuse stuff.
    After I posted this I never heard back from anyone.
    The topic is not of interest to many here it seems...and I guess that is to be expected.
    Not many people actually take the time and make the effort to set aside a place that is only for prayer and meditation.
    And as far as i know, from the homes of the Mormons I have been in, the idea of a "Home Alter" or a "prayer Closet" is not something the Mormons do.....

(perhaps they do, but I sure have not run into it yet with my Mormon friends)

So the topic here dies a lonely death.

but from time to time I do toss the idea out there, and also tell others about my meditation room, and how there is merit and support in the Bible for finding a time and place to be alone.

To be able to shut the door, block out all the concerns of being a parent , spouse, a child, and just be who you are with God alone.

To think about things in your own way.
    To pick topics to think about that only you know.
    To deal with personal issues without "advice" from others getting in the way.
    To pray to God without needing to have it perfect.

Libby

I did run into one Utah Mormon who had a prayer altar, at home. She was mainstream LDS and they also did family prayer circle. She was criticized by other LDS for doing that, because prayer circle is strictly for the Temple. I think her altar was also set up, as it was in the Temple. She said, this was common practice for early Mormons.

alanmolstad

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    I did run into one Utah Mormon who had a prayer altar, at home. She was mainstream LDS and they also did family prayer circle. She was criticized by other LDS for doing that, because prayer circle is strictly for the Temple. .
    So what is this "family prayer circle"?....and why ban people who are Mormon from doing thisat home with their family?

brisbenea

I have not heard of "family prayer circle" in Christianity.

Columcille

I don't know either. Been away for some time. I have had a lot on my plate. Still do to some degree.