Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Derogatory terms part deux

alanmolstad

Matthew 19:16-19---King James Version (KJV)
    16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
    17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
    18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
    19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

why do you always stop the quotation there?

dberrie2000

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    again,,,thats was what the video was for...
    There we have it, folks.

alanmolstad

I have seen others do this as well...

They always quote the first part of the story as supporting their views...but then suddenly stop quoting the rest of the story where jesus actually teaches what he wants to say to the man in the story.

When you stop quoting the story too early you give the reader the wrong idea as to what the whole story is aimed at....

alanmolstad

Its the same as if you quote jesus saing, at Matthew 5:38 "You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth."

and then stop the quotation right then and there...

If you do that you can mislead people as to what Jesus was about to teach...

Its the same when I see people quote the story at Matt 19 and just STOP DEAD, just before the true better part of the story is read....thuis you will give the reader the wrong idea as to the meaning of the story

alanmolstad

So when I see someone post over and over the shortened quotation of the Matt 19 story and ask me to address it's teachings...my answer is to simply quote the rest of the story they left off!.....

alanmolstad

now when you bother to read the rest of the story that always seems to be editted out of some people's quotations, what you learn is that Jesus was teaching that the man's efforts to keep the law as a way to gain life was pointless....

if you always stop quoting the story too early you will not learn this important teaching of Jesus...
    But if you stick with the text, then you learn what Jesus was really talking about.

alanmolstad

Now I have talked about this same story many, many times on this forum.

I have listed all the sister verses that agree with what im saying,,,i have provided supporting voices of other Bible teachers that agree with all that i have said...and I have posted videos where martin goes over this information as well...

Truly I have fully answered this question to the point where all that I might add is simply repeating pointlessly something that a person has likely decided to never believe regardless of what i might say....

so.......there you go..

dberrie2000

now when you bother to read the rest of the story that always seems to be editted out of some people's quotations, what you learn is that Jesus was teaching that the man's efforts to keep the law as a way to gain life was pointless....

if you always stop quoting the story too early you will not learn this important teaching of Jesus...
    But if you stick with the text, then you learn what Jesus was really talking about.
    Alan--then please stick with the text, see it all the way through--quote us those scriptures in full, But:

Please post the specific Biblical NT scriptures, which is not found in the LDS church, as to salvational doctrines.

Revelation 22:14--King James Version (KJV)
    14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

dberrie2000

[I]Matthew 19:16-19---King James Version (KJV)
    16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
    17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
    18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
    19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Because that is where it defies faith alone theology. Although, very friendly to LDS theology.

Alan--could you explain for what there is in the Biblical NT scriptures--which is not found in the LDS church, as far as salvational doctrines go?

Philippians 2:12--King James Version (KJV)
    12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

alanmolstad

Quote Originally Posted by dberrie2000 View Post
    Because that is where it defies faith alone theology. Although, very friendly to LDS theology.

Alan--could you explain for what there is in the Biblical NT scriptures--which is not found in the LDS church, as far as salvational doctrines go?

Philippians 2:12--King James Version (KJV)
    12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.
    if you just read the rest of it, you find out the answer to the question...

For when you keep reading you learn that it is not us that is doing any working, it is the Lord!
    Thus again, we are saved by grace though FAITH,,,,and not by works!

for we are saved not by human effort, but by the lord's grace.
    Last edited by alanmolstad; 10-01-2017 at 05:24 PM.

dberrie2000

for we are saved not by human effort, but by the lord's grace.
    No oe has claimed one is saved by human effort--but by God's grace.

That leaves but one important question, for me.

Who does God give this grace to?

Hebrews 5:9---King James Version (KJV)
    9 And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

alanmolstad

Who does God give this grace to?

Guys like the thief on the cross , as I've taught many times...

And to guys like myself, for as it says in the Scripture " to the one who does not work but trusts God who justifies the ungodly, their faith is credited as righteousness."

So does it say that works are credited as righteousness?....no!!!!

Rather is says in black and white - to the one who does not work (Guys like me, and the thief on the cross) but trusts God who justifies the ungodly, their faith is credited as righteousness."

Their what?______

Their what is credited as righteousness?__________

Works?.............or........their faith?
    Last edited by alanmolstad; 10-02-2017 at 03:46 AM.

dberrie2000

So does it say that works are credited as righteousness?....no!!!!
    1 John 3:7---King James Version (KJV)
    7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.

alanmolstad

He who does not work but rather believes god , to him it is credited as righteousness

alanmolstad

So the fact is that Mormons have sold their souls to Satan when they put their trust in the Mormon teaching of "works rightusness"
    But the bible teaches to forget that stuff and seek only to believe. ...for its faith God seeks in you...

alanmolstad

Romans 4:5
    But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

Mark 9:23

"If You can?" echoed Jesus. "All things are possible to him who believes!"

John 6:29
    Jesus replied, "This is the work of God: to believe in the One He has sent.

Romans 3:22

And this righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe

Romans 4:6
    just as David proclaims the blessedness of the man to whom God credits righteousness apart from works:

alanmolstad

Quote Originally Posted by Pahoran View Post
    Under the rubric of derogatory terms: what is the value of a term like "cult," which serves no other purpose than to demonise its target?

On another forum, an LDS participant from this board claimed that he had been told that the term "LDS Christian" was regarded as "derogatory" or in some way offensive, and should therefore not be used, because the board administrators hold that Mormonism is not Christian.

Is that correct?

Granted that this is the position of the board, why must Latter-day Saint followers of Jesus of Nazareth tacitly ***ent to what they rightly view as a canard in order to participate here?

Regards,
    Pahoran

Let me address the opening comment on this topic to make a few things more clear that it seems some people have gotten mixed up on.

The term "CULT" is a useful term as it helps the Christian state very clearly that the religion he is talking about is clearly not Christian.
    Therefore the term "CULT" should be used in the manner that Walter Martin used it.....and with his understanding of the term.
    The forum is after all, named after Martin...LOL

Next: The term "LDS Christian"
    The use of the term LDS Christian, or other terms thsat give the idea that Mormons are Christian is not allowed because this is a rule, and it is that position of the ownership of this message board that Mormonism is NOT CHRISTIAN, and therefore the terms like "LDS Christian" are misleading, and will not be allowed.

Finally:....why should Mormons follow the rules?
    The member of this forum has already agreed to follow the rules and guidance of the Mods of this message board when they registered.
    So they are expected to follow the rules they have already agreed to.
    The door is always open here, and none is forced to come here.
    But while they are here, they are expected to follow the same rules as others, regardless of their religion.
    Thus if a member finds they can not continue to keep the agreed-to rules, the door is always open and they can go find some place else.