Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Does "Concern" Excuse Rudeness?

Pa Pa

Interesting that he who defends such behavior will not commment in this thread.

Libby

Quote Originally Posted by Russianwolfe View Post
    Either you were of a fundamentalist sect or you are over 70 or 80 years old. And anybody who has read Mormonism: Myth or Reality will tell you, the garments were no secret as well as many other things.

Having joined the church more recently, I knew about the garments several years before I went to the temple. And my mother, who regretted her decision to allow me to join the church, was quick to point out anything that she thought would separate me from the church.

The only way these things were a secret was for decent people to ignore the yellow journalism that was quick to publish and broadcast anything they thought they could spin to their advantage.

Sorry, you didn't pay attention until you decided the church wasn't worth your time. Most member are too busy help others, doing their duty, and taking care of their families to bother with all the dissenting voices that clog the public media.

Marvin
    I must have been really sheltered or something, because I really didn't know about the garments until I was getting ready to go to Temple.

I'm sure I could have found that information online or somewhere, but I didn't know to even inquire. They may not be "secret", but it's not like LDS talk about them all the time, either.

nrajeff

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    I must have been really sheltered or something, because I really didn't know about the garments until I was getting ready to go to Temple. I'm sure I could have found that information online or somewhere, but I didn't know to even inquire. They may not be "secret", but it's not like LDS talk about them all the time, either.

--They are not mentioned at all in Gospel Principles, the book INTENDED for investigors and new members?

Libby

Quote Originally Posted by nrajeff View Post

--They are not mentioned at all in Gospel Principles, the book INTENDED for investigors and new members?
    I never saw a Gospel Principles manual until after I joined the church. Garments are in there? I don't recall that. (Not saying you are wrong...just don't remember anything about that)..

The studies I did with the missionaries were almost exclusively out of the Book of Mormon. Probably, because I was in the process of reading it for the first time and had questions about it.

Honestly, Jeff, there was no mention of garments, that I recall...not until I started the Temple cl***es.

Pa Pa

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Spare us!

You are en***led to your opinion, no matter how much in error you are.

Since we both have been there,
    Both of who?

Pa Pa

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    BTW I will wait for your rant on MADB about this. OOPS! I see that you already made a rant there.
    BTW…since you reported me for bringing up the other board…I returned the favor.

nrajeff

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    I never saw a Gospel Principles manual until after I joined the church. Garments are in there? I don't recall that. (Not saying you are wrong...just don't remember anything about that)..
    ---I looked at the chapters on temple ordinances and on eternal marriage and didn't find an explicit mention of garments, but I did find the following:

“Preparing to Enter the Holy Temple,”

http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hi...004d82620aRCRD

Father_JD

I looked at the chapters on temple ordinance and what did I see? Popcorn popping on the ordinance tree...

Libby

Quote Originally Posted by nrajeff View Post
    ---I looked at the chapters on temple ordinances and on eternal marriage and didn't find an explicit mention of garments, but I did find the following:

“Preparing to Enter the Holy Temple,”

http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hi...004d82620aRCRD
    That's not the Gospel Principles Manual, Jeff. That looks like what I received when I took the Temple cl***es. There is an explicit mention of garments in there, towards the middle of the page.

I knew about the white temple clothing (exterior clothing) because my mentor told me about that. But, she never mentioned garments. Probably didn't want to give me too much too soon.

Vlad III

mod edit

Don't worry, URLoony, some people think that merely mentioning an encounter with those against Mormonism is being rude and making fun of them. We can all see that you did not make fun of anyone and in fact shared that you had an experience conversing with them.

Libby

Quote Originally Posted by urloony View Post
    Over the last few years there seem to be two distinct camps of anti's (I use that term here because the individuals I spoke to referred to themselves as "anti-mormons.") In Palmyra, which is the only pageant I attend,there is the bullhorn crowd and the group of "concerned" individuals. I spoke to several members with yellow T-shirts from a group called "what Mormons won't tell." What I found interesting is that they are almost as offended by the bullhorn group as we are and feel their disruption prevents them (the concerned group) from sharing their message. They are afraid of being all lumped together as one hateful group by Latter-Day Saints, as we tend to do.

I'm not defending either of the groups, but did enjoy the discussion we had, it was the usual fare that we see here.
    I'm glad to hear that, because I have seen videos of some of the "bullhorn" people and I would consider what I saw on those videos as very rude...as well as being unproductive. I'm glad to hear you had a good experience with the others. That's great.

Pa Pa

Quote Originally Posted by Father_JD View Post
    I looked at the chapters on temple ordinance and what did I see? Popcorn popping on the ordinance tree...
    Oh so being rude is ok when the beliefs differ your own?

Father_JD

Quote Originally Posted by Pa Pa View Post
    Oh so being rude is ok when the beliefs differ your own?
    Lighten up, dude. It was a JOKE. Do you know the meaning of the word?

Pa Pa

Lighten up, dude. It was a JOKE. Do you know the meaning of the word?
    Yes but poor taste in this thread. In another maybe not.

Father_JD

Yes but poor taste in this thread. In another maybe not.
    Well, excu-u-u-u-use me. It fit PERFECTLY whether you like it or not. Lighten up.

Pa Pa

Well, excu-u-u-u-use me. It fit PERFECTLY whether you like it or not. Lighten up.
    If I must...

Father_JD

If I must...
    Please do.

Pa Pa

Please do.
    Alright…but I will proceed with caution.

Father_JD

Alright…but I will proceed with caution.
    Let me get this straight: You need to lighten up by proceeding with caution.

O-o-o-o-okay.

Pa Pa

Let me get this straight: You need to lighten up by proceeding with caution.

O-o-o-o-okay.
    I thought that was funny. Oh well.

Father_JD

I thought that was funny. Oh well.
    Good one!! That was so down-right droll I didn't realize you were making a "funny"!! Thanks!

Pa Pa

Good one!! That was so down-right droll I didn't realize you were making a "funny"!! Thanks!
    Droll for the troll.

Father_JD

Droll for the troll.
    Funnier still. Thanks!

alanmolstad

In another thread a poster seemed to be (actually he was) excusing Preachers with bullhorns at Mormon events. His quote… "God bless them for caring enough about your soul."

When does "concern" excuse rudeness?
    actually it would depent on the situation.

At a normal Mormom service or something that is normal day-to-day to Mormon worship service I would say that it would be rather rude to stand nearby with a bullhorn.

But if this is a different and special Mormon thingy, like some type of gathering or outside a Temple....or something like a general meeting, then it is very correct to stand outside and let them hear your words of warning that they will die and go to hell for their Mormon faith!

James Banta

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    actually it would depent on the situation.

At a normal Mormom service or something that is normal day-to-day to Mormon worship service I would say that it would be rather rude to stand nearby with a bullhorn.

But if this is a different and special Mormon thingy, like some type of gathering or outside a Temple....or something like a general meeting, then it is very correct to stand outside and let them hear your words of warning that they will die and go to hell for their Mormon faith!
    I am more of a one on one kind of guy.. I would rather do street evangelism as you can see Ray Comfort doing it on Way of the Master.. Bull horns are taking things way outside my comfort zone.. IHS jim