Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Age - What Do You Think?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ChrisLaRock

Default New Age - What Do You Think?

I was listening to Pastor Joe Shimmel from Blessed Hope Chapel as he spoke about the New Age movement. He stated that it is his personal belief that satan is using the New Age movement to prepare the people of the world so they will be in the right state of mind and heart to embrace the kingdom of anti-christ when it is revealed.

There's no doubt that many of the prophecies dealing with the man of sin have some of the same elements as the New Age ideology. What do the rest of you think?

Heart2Heart

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLaRock View Post
    I was listening to Pastor Joe Shimmel from Blessed Hope Chapel as he spoke about the New Age movement. He stated that it is his personal belief that satan is using the New Age movement to prepare the people of the world so they will be in the right state of mind and heart to embrace the kingdom of anti-christ when it is revealed.

There's no doubt that many of the prophecies dealing with the man of sin have some of the same elements as the New Age ideology. What do the rest of you think?
    I am wondering where your pastor got his source. This is the second time I've heard this, and I'm skeptical. How did your pastor come with this conclusion?

ChrisLaRock

Quote Originally Posted by Heart2Heart View Post
    I am wondering where your pastor got his source. This is the second time I've heard this, and I'm skeptical. How did your pastor come with this conclusion?
    The pastor examined the ideologies of the new age, and compared them to prophecies about the man of sin. The new age teaches that we are divine beings and must look within. They teach that we can have the kingdom without the king. Isn't that something that must be taught to the m***es so they accept anti-christ when he is revealed?

Heart2Heart

The pastor examined the ideologies of the new age, and compared them to prophecies about the man of sin. The new age teaches that we are divine beings and must look within. They teach that we can have the kingdom without the king. Isn't that something that must be taught to the m***es so they accept anti-christ when he is revealed?
    I know the New Age Movement is mainly influenced by the Eastern philosophy, especially Buddhism and Hinduism. Also the movement contains Native American beliefs and Carl Jung's teachings of collective unconscious. You might be right. I purchased a book from a used bookstore today. The book is called, "The Everything World's Religions Book" by Robert Pollock. It mentions the followers are looking to a New World Order that would end wars, pollutions, poverty, and discrimination.

Tatanka_Maza

I know the New Age Movement is mainly influenced by the Eastern philosophy, especially Buddhism and Hinduism. Also the movement contains Native American beliefs and Carl Jung's teachings of collective unconscious. You might be right. I purchased a book from a used bookstore today. The book is called, "The Everything World's Religions Book" by Robert Pollock. It mentions the followers are looking to a New World Order that would end wars, pollutions, poverty, and discrimination.

Just to note that the various New agey practices have nothing to do with traditional native ways and beliefs. By and large, we can't stand the newagers, as most of them are culture vultures and spiritual pirates who will latch on to anything that appears "cool".

TRiG

Quote Originally Posted by Tatanka_Maza View Post
    Just to note that the various New agey practices have nothing to do with traditional native ways and beliefs. By and large, we can't stand the newagers, as most of them are culture vultures and spiritual pirates who will latch on to anything that appears "cool".
    I'm sure New Agers are fond of things like dream-catchers (while probably understanding their cultural context no more than I do). As you say, vultures.

TRiG.

Tatanka_Maza

Quote Originally Posted by TRiG View Post
    I'm sure New Agers are fond of things like dream-catchers (while probably understanding their cultural context no more than I do). As you say, vultures.

TRiG.
    If it were only *dreamcatchers* it wouldn't be that big of an issue. It is the wholesale appropriation and exploitation of our traditional ways for personal gain. Go into any bookstore and look in either the new age section, or if they have a *Native American* section. None of the books there are written by legitimate native spiritual people, but rather self styled *medicine men* (and women) who mix up an eclectic blend of various tribal traditions with a hodge podge of new agey airy fairy ****. The public reads this garbage, thinks it is the real deal, and when encountering a genuine traditional native, dismisses our true beliefs as nonsense. People who try to practice the horse hockey published in these books often get hurt, or hurt others, spiritually and sometimes physically.

bhuvana-mohan dasa

Quote Originally Posted by Tatanka_Maza View Post
    If it were only *dreamcatchers* it wouldn't be that big of an issue. It is the wholesale appropriation and exploitation of our traditional ways for personal gain. Go into any bookstore and look in either the new age section, or if they have a *Native American* section. None of the books there are written by legitimate native spiritual people, but rather self styled *medicine men* (and women) who mix up an eclectic blend of various tribal traditions with a hodge podge of new agey airy fairy ****. The public reads this garbage, thinks it is the real deal, and when encountering a genuine traditional native, dismisses our true beliefs as nonsense. People who try to practice the horse hockey published in these books often get hurt, or hurt others, spiritually and sometimes physically.
    i agree, Tatanka.......they have done the same to Native American tradition as to the Vedic......they've squeezed out novelties like "affirmations" (Mantras) and reincarnation......and turned their yuppie backs on accountability and morality.....

ys,
    bmd.

The fact is that New Agers readily embrace Hinduism. For instance, in our town in the wilderness mountains, a regular enclave for New Agers who control most of the tourist enterprises, the New Agers embrace Hindu phallic symbols, lingams I think they're called, used for Shiva worship. They sell these little phallic stones in the streets to bring world peace. When I pointed out to the lady that these were simply phallic symbols - she said they came from some river in India, and this river makes phallic symbols out of stones (I guess so that they can be sold by New Agers - who will buy into just about anything). New Agers also practice forms of Hinduism, thinking that it is superior to Christianity, I suppose. Hard to believe that worshipping mythical deities could be superior to knowing the Living God - but, of course, there is a spiritual blindness which prevades this area.

TRiG

Quote Originally Posted by Apologette View Post
    Hard to believe that worshipping mythical deities could be superior to knowing the Living God.
    Ah, arrogance. The casual dismissive tone you use while talking to people you disagree with is evidence of a rather unpleasant personality. And besides, you have no more evidence that your god is alive than anyone else here has that theirs is.

As has just been pointed out, the New Agers don't really accept Hinduism, or Native American spirituality, or anything much. They just pick out the bits they find pretty. We called them vultures. Perhaps they'd be better described as magpies.

I suppose what these people really want is mysticism, and perhaps the appeal of the unfamiliar. Of course, Christianity too has a mystic tradition, though it's uncommon these days. And if you want a group which is (a) within the general Christian tradition while being suitably heterodox to have the appeal of the unfamiliar, and (b) mystic, there's always the Gnostics.

But real Gosticism, real Mystic Christianity, or real Hinduism for that matter, take effort. Which is why the magpies don't do it, and just collect their crystals instead.

TRiG.

Heart2Heart

I know the New Age Movement is mainly influenced by the Eastern philosophy, especially Buddhism and Hinduism. Also the movement contains Native American beliefs and Carl Jung's teachings of collective unconscious.

You might be right. I purchased a book from a used bookstore today. The book is called, "The Everything World's Religions Book" by Robert Pollock. It mentions the followers are looking to a New World Order that would end wars, pollutions, poverty, and discrimination. By the way, the book is so-so.
    Last edited by Heart2Heart; 02-01-2009 at 09:46 PM.

ChrisLaRock

I know the New Age Movement is mainly influenced by the Eastern philosophy, especially Buddhism and Hinduism. Also the movement contains Native American beliefs and Carl Jung's teachings of collective unconscious.

You might be right. I purchased a book from a used bookstore today. The book is called, "The Everything World's Religions Book" by Robert Pollock. It mentions the followers are looking to a New World Order that would end wars, pollutions, poverty, and discrimination. By the way, the book is so-so.
    In my opinion, the new age thought is paving the way for anti-christ. The pastor I mentioned pointed out what ideologies have to be popular in the world in order for a global leader to be accepted. Many of those ideologies are being taught in the new age.

I was watching a DVD of Dr. Martin, and he said that new agers are awaiting a global leader who will usher in the "age of aquarius". Could it be that this is the kingdom of anti-christ?

Margie23

HI all, well, I am a new ager but I don't even like to use that label as it implies something which I am not. I think many do not understand the nature of new agers or really "understand" waht we are about... and they/I most certainly do not subscribe to ushering in satan at all. We do not believe in satan.. satan/lucifer was born of the "human mind"..this idea/concept was birthed by man in the story of adam and eve in the bible... and it is really a metaphor which stood/stands for man's darker side that created and continues to create the darkest energy/events on earth...all because of his free choice/will. Now I have chosen to focus on gods unabiding love for all and stricly adhere to the golden rule and law of reciprocity..with that, how can I truly be spreading darkness..when all I desire is for humanity to live with all our diversities in utter peace, love and respect for one another..

peace and Love
    Margie

Heart2Heart

Quote Originally Posted by Margie23 View Post
    HI all, well, I am a new ager but I don't even like to use that label as it implies something which I am not. I think many do not understand the nature of new agers or really "understand" waht we are about... and they/I most certainly do not subscribe to ushering in satan at all. We do not believe in satan.. satan/lucifer was born of the "human mind"..this idea/concept was birthed by man in the story of adam and eve in the bible... and it is really a metaphor which stood/stands for man's darker side that created and continues to create the darkest energy/events on earth...all because of his free choice/will. Now I have chosen to focus on gods unabiding love for all and stricly adhere to the golden rule and law of reciprocity..with that, how can I truly be spreading darkness..when all I desire is for humanity to live with all our diversities in utter peace, love and respect for one another..

peace and Love
    Margie
    One of my relatives is a New Ager, and she pretty much says the same thing. However, she does follow the teachings of several Eastern leaders including Jesus and has them on a wall in her bedroom. I don't advocate her philosophy, because she doesn't see the importance of Jesus as the only way.

Blessings....

Margie23

sounds like you have a diverse family heart2heart..well, not all "new agers" are alike...and i think many have the much older tainted version of who and what we are..i believe in Jesus and God, but i also beleive they are both a part of us..thus making us all one in god/jesus... and i'm also not a bible literalist or inerantist..

I also wanted to respond to the thought that we are "waiting" for a "global leader"..if anything i was waiting for obama lol, and i most certainly hope that he is not condsidered to be the anti-christ..lol..i think we are in msot auspicious times and clearly for me, obama represents a much needed change..may not be a perfect one..but a change from the old ways of leading in this world and most certainly a front runner..

much love
    Margie

Trinity

I also wanted to respond to the thought that we are "waiting" for a "global leader"..if anything i was waiting for obama lol, and i most certainly hope that he is not condsidered to be the anti-christ..lol..i think we are in msot auspicious times and clearly for me, obama represents a much needed change..may not be a perfect one..but a change from the old ways of leading in this world and most certainly a front runner...
    I have to admit that I was impressed by these documents the first time I studied them. However, later, I had found some flaws in these novelties.

Are you familiar with these works?

The Hidden Messages in Water
    by Masaru Emoto
    http://www.amazon.com/Hidden-Message.../dp/1582701148

What the Bleep Do We Know!?
    Starring: Marlee Matlin, Elaine Hendrix Director: Betsy Ch***e, Mark Vicente
    http://www.amazon.com/What-Bleep-Do-..._bxgy_b_text_b

What the Bleep Do We Know!?: Discovering the Endless Possibilities for Altering Your Everyday Reality
    by William Arntz (Author), Ch***e (Author), Mark Vicente (Author)
    http://www.amazon.com/What-Bleep-Kno...ref=pd_sim_d_1

Trinity

Margie23

Hi Trinity;

Yes I know of masaro emoto, i really do believe in sending water gra***ude and love, and it's been scientifically shown how just doing that changes its molecular structure back to it's purest form...I'll include soem web pages and a youtube link for your perusal..now I ahven't read "what the bleep do we know" but i do know many that have adn they report ebign very satisfied with what it talks about..hmm, now you've got me curious..might look into reading it..i think as well, there is a movie out about it..

heres the links to masaro emoto:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkbpX...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZDOP...eature=related

This one takes all the national anthems and applies them to water and shows the effect it has on the water crystal:

http://www.masaru-emoto.net/english/ephoto.html

And here's another site:

http://www.life-enthusiast.com/twili...arch_emoto.htm

Love
    margie

sunofmysoul

Hi Trinity;

Yes I know of masaro emoto, i really do believe in sending water gra***ude and love, and it's been scientifically shown how just doing that changes its molecular structure back to it's purest form...I'll include soem web pages and a youtube link for your perusal..now I ahven't read "what the bleep do we know" but i do know many that have adn they report ebign very satisfied with what it talks about..hmm, now you've got me curious..might look into reading it..i think as well, there is a movie out about it..

heres the links to masaro emoto:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkbpX...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZDOP...eature=related

This one takes all the national anthems and applies them to water and shows the effect it has on the water crystal:

http://www.masaru-emoto.net/english/ephoto.html

And here's another site:

http://www.life-enthusiast.com/twili...arch_emoto.htm

Love
    margie
    this fascinates me so...i am trying to find the research done on plants that seem to imply the same thing....(if anyone has links i would love it!)
    there seems to be at least some evidence that nature is affected by positive or negative thoughts or words (there are many studies showing plants affected by sound http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...18f2d64186f03e and http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=20518460
    i have often wondered of the power of sound....and music...
    and the voice of God...and creation..or ...the beginning....

constantine70

Hi SOMS!
    I think that you have hit the nail on the head about 'sound', but since we know that 'frequency' is a 'wave' that can only be termed as 'sound' when there are physical devices to interpret the sound. I tend to agree with the gnostics that 'light' is that which has no begining and no end. But as we see 'light' is a wave as well that is interpreted by a physical devices. Now the metaphysical is also light/sound/frequency that is so moldable that we can create from it, were some new agers believe that we created this Earth with Jesus in order for the growth process. When you think about it, Perfect Humility would not create things unless it is for the good of all things. Perfect Humility would allow others to create as well. I think that the best description of Jesus that I have come across is the one by Christian Anderson that the spliting of First Light to the first split being male/female and the joining of the two together created Yeshua or the Christ aspect. The only begotten son. We are not birthed cause we came from First Light prior (same time since time has no meaning there) to the spliting/re-unification of the male/female aspect of First Light. The gnostics only see Yeshua as having the authority from First Light to do the things that Christ does. It is very complex in the multi dimensional existance that is 'being'.
    I am terrible at articulation, but I hope someone understands where I am comming from.
    Peace and Harmony through Unconditional LOVE!

Margie23

Hi Constantine...so nice to see you here and yes, i can understand you....you seem to have flaire and ease with the more metaphysical descriptions and explanations which i do not so well in, so i look forward to hearing more.

Love
    margie

TRiG

I really do believe in sending water gra***ude and love, and it's been scientifically shown how just doing that changes its molecular structure back to it's purest form.
    What?

I seriously find it difficult to believe that someone typed that sentence.

TRiG.

sunofmysoul

Quote Originally Posted by TRiG View Post
    What?

I seriously find it difficult to believe that someone typed that sentence.

TRiG.
    oh be nice TRiG....
    seriously have you seen the experiments done on water molecules and its response to positive /negative influence? or different types of music?

it is intriguing to me...
    (like the particle slit experiment...)

TamTam

peace and Love
    Margie
    Hi Margie. I have been "labeled" as new age by many folks however, I don't think it really fits me in every instance either. I have very eclectic beliefs and chose to take the good I learn from all belief systems and try to incorporate those beliefs into my daily life.

I think the term "new age" is misleading at best as new age is really nothing "new", many of it's views and pilosophies have been around for hundreds of years or more.

As far as the original topic of the thread regarding new age views being the "preparation" for the anti-christ. I really don't believe that, not just because I don't believe in the biblical view of the anti-christ but also because the new age "way" is to focus on light, love, peace harmony, doing good to those around you, etc. The "true" new age believer has no need or desire to focus on "evil" or darkness. Even those of us that lean towards "new age" beliefs but do not fully consider ourselves to be labeled as such, even we have much more interest in the good things life has to offer and tend to focus on that and also look for it when it isn't blatently aparant. I find it really hard to believe that "new age" views would be the thing that would usher in something ego driven like an anti-christ type figure.

Blessings-

Tam

bhuvana-mohan dasa

Quote Originally Posted by TamTam View Post
    Hi Margie. I have been "labeled" as new age by many folks however, I don't think it really fits me in every instance either. I have very eclectic beliefs and chose to take the good I learn from all belief systems and try to incorporate those beliefs into my daily life.

I think the term "new age" is misleading at best as new age is really nothing "new", many of it's views and pilosophies have been around for hundreds of years or more.

As far as the original topic of the thread regarding new age views being the "preparation" for the anti-christ. I really don't believe that, not just because I don't believe in the biblical view of the anti-christ but also because the new age "way" is to focus on light, love, peace harmony, doing good to those around you, etc. The "true" new age believer has no need or desire to focus on "evil" or darkness. Even those of us that lean towards "new age" beliefs but do not fully consider ourselves to be labeled as such, even we have much more interest in the good things life has to offer and tend to focus on that and also look for it when it isn't blatently aparant. I find it really hard to believe that "new age" views would be the thing that would usher in something ego driven like an anti-christ type figure.

Blessings-

Tam
    Sounds good to me,Tam. i've read, in my time, a book from an evangelical bookstore back in the 1970's by an overly dramatic (but then quite popular) Christian author named Salem Kirban, wherein he "proved" that then U.S. Secretary of State Henry Kissinger was indeed the "Beast" spoken of in the New Testament Book of Revelation.....(). Ever look inside a Christian bookstore? They virtually burst at the seams with this silly, defamatory, overly dramatic garbage in print (which ends up hurting the lives and hard earned reputations of real, identifiable people.

So you tell me.........where is the "darkness"?

ys,
    bmd.

sayso

Quote Originally Posted by bhuvana-mohan dasa View Post
    i've read, in my time, a book from an evangelical bookstore back in the 1970's by an overly dramatic (but then quite popular) Christian author named Salem Kirban,

ys,
    bmd.
    Never heard of him, must have been Krishna's reading his works.