Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Age - What Do You Think?

ChrisLaRock

Default New Age - What Do You Think?

I was listening to Pastor Joe Shimmel from Blessed Hope Chapel as he spoke about the New Age movement. He stated that it is his personal belief that satan is using the New Age movement to prepare the people of the world so they will be in the right state of mind and heart to embrace the kingdom of anti-christ when it is revealed.

There's no doubt that many of the prophecies dealing with the man of sin have some of the same elements as the New Age ideology. What do the rest of you think?

Heart2Heart

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLaRock View Post
    I was listening to Pastor Joe Shimmel from Blessed Hope Chapel as he spoke about the New Age movement. He stated that it is his personal belief that satan is using the New Age movement to prepare the people of the world so they will be in the right state of mind and heart to embrace the kingdom of anti-christ when it is revealed.

There's no doubt that many of the prophecies dealing with the man of sin have some of the same elements as the New Age ideology. What do the rest of you think?
    I am wondering where your pastor got his source. This is the second time I've heard this, and I'm skeptical. How did your pastor come with this conclusion?

ChrisLaRock

Quote Originally Posted by Heart2Heart View Post
    I am wondering where your pastor got his source. This is the second time I've heard this, and I'm skeptical. How did your pastor come with this conclusion?
    The pastor examined the ideologies of the new age, and compared them to prophecies about the man of sin. The new age teaches that we are divine beings and must look within. They teach that we can have the kingdom without the king. Isn't that something that must be taught to the m***es so they accept anti-christ when he is revealed?

Heart2Heart

The pastor examined the ideologies of the new age, and compared them to prophecies about the man of sin. The new age teaches that we are divine beings and must look within. They teach that we can have the kingdom without the king. Isn't that something that must be taught to the m***es so they accept anti-christ when he is revealed?
    I know the New Age Movement is mainly influenced by the Eastern philosophy, especially Buddhism and Hinduism. Also the movement contains Native American beliefs and Carl Jung's teachings of collective unconscious. You might be right. I purchased a book from a used bookstore today. The book is called, "The Everything World's Religions Book" by Robert Pollock. It mentions the followers are looking to a New World Order that would end wars, pollutions, poverty, and discrimination.

Heart2Heart

I know the New Age Movement is mainly influenced by the Eastern philosophy, especially Buddhism and Hinduism. Also the movement contains Native American beliefs and Carl Jung's teachings of collective unconscious.

You might be right. I purchased a book from a used bookstore today. The book is called, "The Everything World's Religions Book" by Robert Pollock. It mentions the followers are looking to a New World Order that would end wars, pollutions, poverty, and discrimination. By the way, the book is so-so.
    Last edited by Heart2Heart; 02-01-2009 at 09:46 PM.

ChrisLaRock

Quote Originally Posted by Heart2Heart View Post
    I know the New Age Movement is mainly influenced by the Eastern philosophy, especially Buddhism and Hinduism. Also the movement contains Native American beliefs and Carl Jung's teachings of collective unconscious.

You might be right. I purchased a book from a used bookstore today. The book is called, "The Everything World's Religions Book" by Robert Pollock. It mentions the followers are looking to a New World Order that would end wars, pollutions, poverty, and discrimination. By the way, the book is so-so.
    In my opinion, the new age thought is paving the way for anti-christ. The pastor I mentioned pointed out what ideologies have to be popular in the world in order for a global leader to be accepted. Many of those ideologies are being taught in the new age.

I was watching a DVD of Dr. Martin, and he said that new agers are awaiting a global leader who will usher in the "age of aquarius". Could it be that this is the kingdom of anti-christ?

Margie23

HI all, well, I am a new ager but I don't even like to use that label as it implies something which I am not. I think many do not understand the nature of new agers or really "understand" waht we are about... and they/I most certainly do not subscribe to ushering in satan at all. We do not believe in satan.. satan/lucifer was born of the "human mind"..this idea/concept was birthed by man in the story of adam and eve in the bible... and it is really a metaphor which stood/stands for man's darker side that created and continues to create the darkest energy/events on earth...all because of his free choice/will. Now I have chosen to focus on gods unabiding love for all and stricly adhere to the golden rule and law of reciprocity..with that, how can I truly be spreading darkness..when all I desire is for humanity to live with all our diversities in utter peace, love and respect for one another..

peace and Love
    Margie

Heart2Heart

Quote Originally Posted by Margie23 View Post
    HI all, well, I am a new ager but I don't even like to use that label as it implies something which I am not. I think many do not understand the nature of new agers or really "understand" waht we are about... and they/I most certainly do not subscribe to ushering in satan at all. We do not believe in satan.. satan/lucifer was born of the "human mind"..this idea/concept was birthed by man in the story of adam and eve in the bible... and it is really a metaphor which stood/stands for man's darker side that created and continues to create the darkest energy/events on earth...all because of his free choice/will. Now I have chosen to focus on gods unabiding love for all and stricly adhere to the golden rule and law of reciprocity..with that, how can I truly be spreading darkness..when all I desire is for humanity to live with all our diversities in utter peace, love and respect for one another..

peace and Love
    Margie
    One of my relatives is a New Ager, and she pretty much says the same thing. However, she does follow the teachings of several Eastern leaders including Jesus and has them on a wall in her bedroom. I don't advocate her philosophy, because she doesn't see the importance of Jesus as the only way.

Blessings....

Margie23

sounds like you have a diverse family heart2heart..well, not all "new agers" are alike...and i think many have the much older tainted version of who and what we are..i believe in Jesus and God, but i also beleive they are both a part of us..thus making us all one in god/jesus... and i'm also not a bible literalist or inerantist..

I also wanted to respond to the thought that we are "waiting" for a "global leader"..if anything i was waiting for obama lol, and i most certainly hope that he is not condsidered to be the anti-christ..lol..i think we are in msot auspicious times and clearly for me, obama represents a much needed change..may not be a perfect one..but a change from the old ways of leading in this world and most certainly a front runner..

much love
    Margie

Trinity

I also wanted to respond to the thought that we are "waiting" for a "global leader"..if anything i was waiting for obama lol, and i most certainly hope that he is not condsidered to be the anti-christ..lol..i think we are in msot auspicious times and clearly for me, obama represents a much needed change..may not be a perfect one..but a change from the old ways of leading in this world and most certainly a front runner...
    I have to admit that I was impressed by these documents the first time I studied them. However, later, I had found some flaws in these novelties.

Are you familiar with these works?

The Hidden Messages in Water
    by Masaru Emoto
    http://www.amazon.com/Hidden-Message.../dp/1582701148

What the Bleep Do We Know!?
    Starring: Marlee Matlin, Elaine Hendrix Director: Betsy Ch***e, Mark Vicente
    http://www.amazon.com/What-Bleep-Do-..._bxgy_b_text_b

What the Bleep Do We Know!?: Discovering the Endless Possibilities for Altering Your Everyday Reality
    by William Arntz (Author), Ch***e (Author), Mark Vicente (Author)
    http://www.amazon.com/What-Bleep-Kno...ref=pd_sim_d_1

Trinity

Margie23

Hi Trinity;

Yes I know of masaro emoto, i really do believe in sending water gra***ude and love, and it's been scientifically shown how just doing that changes its molecular structure back to it's purest form...I'll include soem web pages and a youtube link for your perusal..now I ahven't read "what the bleep do we know" but i do know many that have adn they report ebign very satisfied with what it talks about..hmm, now you've got me curious..might look into reading it..i think as well, there is a movie out about it..

heres the links to masaro emoto:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkbpX...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZDOP...eature=related

This one takes all the national anthems and applies them to water and shows the effect it has on the water crystal:

http://www.masaru-emoto.net/english/ephoto.html

And here's another site:

http://www.life-enthusiast.com/twili...arch_emoto.htm

Love
    margie

sunofmysoul

Hi Trinity;

Yes I know of masaro emoto, i really do believe in sending water gra***ude and love, and it's been scientifically shown how just doing that changes its molecular structure back to it's purest form...I'll include soem web pages and a youtube link for your perusal..now I ahven't read "what the bleep do we know" but i do know many that have adn they report ebign very satisfied with what it talks about..hmm, now you've got me curious..might look into reading it..i think as well, there is a movie out about it..

heres the links to masaro emoto:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkbpX...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZDOP...eature=related

This one takes all the national anthems and applies them to water and shows the effect it has on the water crystal:

http://www.masaru-emoto.net/english/ephoto.html

And here's another site:

http://www.life-enthusiast.com/twili...arch_emoto.htm

Love
    margie
    this fascinates me so...i am trying to find the research done on plants that seem to imply the same thing....(if anyone has links i would love it!)
    there seems to be at least some evidence that nature is affected by positive or negative thoughts or words (there are many studies showing plants affected by sound http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...18f2d64186f03e and http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=20518460
    i have often wondered of the power of sound....and music...
    and the voice of God...and creation..or ...the beginning....

constantine70

Hi SOMS!
    I think that you have hit the nail on the head about 'sound', but since we know that 'frequency' is a 'wave' that can only be termed as 'sound' when there are physical devices to interpret the sound. I tend to agree with the gnostics that 'light' is that which has no begining and no end. But as we see 'light' is a wave as well that is interpreted by a physical devices. Now the metaphysical is also light/sound/frequency that is so moldable that we can create from it, were some new agers believe that we created this Earth with Jesus in order for the growth process. When you think about it, Perfect Humility would not create things unless it is for the good of all things. Perfect Humility would allow others to create as well. I think that the best description of Jesus that I have come across is the one by Christian Anderson that the spliting of First Light to the first split being male/female and the joining of the two together created Yeshua or the Christ aspect. The only begotten son. We are not birthed cause we came from First Light prior (same time since time has no meaning there) to the spliting/re-unification of the male/female aspect of First Light. The gnostics only see Yeshua as having the authority from First Light to do the things that Christ does. It is very complex in the multi dimensional existance that is 'being'.
    I am terrible at articulation, but I hope someone understands where I am comming from.
    Peace and Harmony through Unconditional LOVE!

Margie23

Hi Constantine...so nice to see you here and yes, i can understand you....you seem to have flaire and ease with the more metaphysical descriptions and explanations which i do not so well in, so i look forward to hearing more.

Love
    margie

TamTam

peace and Love
    Margie
    Hi Margie. I have been "labeled" as new age by many folks however, I don't think it really fits me in every instance either. I have very eclectic beliefs and chose to take the good I learn from all belief systems and try to incorporate those beliefs into my daily life.

I think the term "new age" is misleading at best as new age is really nothing "new", many of it's views and pilosophies have been around for hundreds of years or more.

As far as the original topic of the thread regarding new age views being the "preparation" for the anti-christ. I really don't believe that, not just because I don't believe in the biblical view of the anti-christ but also because the new age "way" is to focus on light, love, peace harmony, doing good to those around you, etc. The "true" new age believer has no need or desire to focus on "evil" or darkness. Even those of us that lean towards "new age" beliefs but do not fully consider ourselves to be labeled as such, even we have much more interest in the good things life has to offer and tend to focus on that and also look for it when it isn't blatently aparant. I find it really hard to believe that "new age" views would be the thing that would usher in something ego driven like an anti-christ type figure.

Blessings-

Tam

bhuvana-mohan dasa

Quote Originally Posted by TamTam View Post
    Hi Margie. I have been "labeled" as new age by many folks however, I don't think it really fits me in every instance either. I have very eclectic beliefs and chose to take the good I learn from all belief systems and try to incorporate those beliefs into my daily life.

I think the term "new age" is misleading at best as new age is really nothing "new", many of it's views and pilosophies have been around for hundreds of years or more.

As far as the original topic of the thread regarding new age views being the "preparation" for the anti-christ. I really don't believe that, not just because I don't believe in the biblical view of the anti-christ but also because the new age "way" is to focus on light, love, peace harmony, doing good to those around you, etc. The "true" new age believer has no need or desire to focus on "evil" or darkness. Even those of us that lean towards "new age" beliefs but do not fully consider ourselves to be labeled as such, even we have much more interest in the good things life has to offer and tend to focus on that and also look for it when it isn't blatently aparant. I find it really hard to believe that "new age" views would be the thing that would usher in something ego driven like an anti-christ type figure.

Blessings-

Tam
    Sounds good to me,Tam. i've read, in my time, a book from an evangelical bookstore back in the 1970's by an overly dramatic (but then quite popular) Christian author named Salem Kirban, wherein he "proved" that then U.S. Secretary of State Henry Kissinger was indeed the "Beast" spoken of in the New Testament Book of Revelation.....(). Ever look inside a Christian bookstore? They virtually burst at the seams with this silly, defamatory, overly dramatic garbage in print (which ends up hurting the lives and hard earned reputations of real, identifiable people.

So you tell me.........where is the "darkness"?

ys,
    bmd.

sayso

Quote Originally Posted by bhuvana-mohan dasa View Post
    i've read, in my time, a book from an evangelical bookstore back in the 1970's by an overly dramatic (but then quite popular) Christian author named Salem Kirban,

ys,
    bmd.
    Never heard of him, must have been Krishna's reading his works.

Margie23

Quote Originally Posted by TamTam View Post
    I feel the same way Tam..

It is most certainly misleading and much of coming from the 'old' way of looking at new age. I really think we are far beyond that label and I have heard it described now as the 'new, new age'..so gone are the crystals, tarot cards and such that used to define it, mind you they are still used as ways of looking at potentials, and the healing arts such as reiki are still very much used. I actually see more and more people embracing alternate healing modalities apart from traditional medicine. It's even started at the medical centre where I work, esp. for cancer patients and those who suffer from terminal illness's and post surgically as well.

Tam, I feel the same way, thanks so much for sharing..

Blessings and love
    Margie

Quote Originally Posted by bhuvana-mohan dasa View Post
    Sounds good to me,Tam. i've read, in my time, a book from an evangelical bookstore back in the 1970's by an overly dramatic (but then quite popular) Christian author named Salem Kirban, wherein he "proved" that then U.S. Secretary of State Henry Kissinger was indeed the "Beast" spoken of in the New Testament Book of Revelation.....(). Ever look inside a Christian bookstore? They virtually burst at the seams with this silly, defamatory, overly dramatic garbage in print (which ends up hurting the lives and hard earned reputations of real, identifiable people.

So you tell me.........where is the "darkness"?

ys,
    bmd.

Oh please, bmd, this is such a broad and unverifiable statement. I sincerely doubt that the majority of Christian bookstores are bursting at the seams with "silly, defamatory, over dramatic garbage" or that anyone would have the time or energy to prove this.

Do some authors write silly things? Absolutely, but this silliness extends to all religions--including Hare Krishna--so to blame Christians alone for it or use it as an excuse to avoid Christianity is illogical. Are some things defamatory? Probably not, based on how paranoid most publishers are when it comes to these things. And if they were to the degree you argue, lawsuits would constantly be in the news.

Maybe this is a good place to remember how many people were driven away from Hare Krishna in the 1960s and 1970s due to harr***ment at the airports and public places by overly zealous (some might even say programmed) recruits? Could this behavior (such as taking back a flower when a donation was not forthcoming) be called silly or overly dramatic?

Yes. So, I fail to see a solid or defendable point here.
    How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God. 1 John 3:1

bhuvana-mohan dasa

Quote Originally Posted by Jill View Post
    Are some things defamatory? Probably not, based on how paranoid most publishers are when it comes to these things. And if they were to the degree you argue, lawsuits would constantly be in the news.

Maybe this is a good place to remember how many people were driven away from Hare Krishna in the 1960s and 1970s due to harr***ment at the airports and public places by overly zealous (some might even say programmed) recruits? Could this behavior (such as taking back a flower when a donation was not forthcoming) be called silly or overly dramatic?

Yes. So, I fail to see a solid or defendable point here.
    Consider, please, if you will, the historical context of the appearance of the Hare Krishna movement in the United States during the 1960's and 1970's (and ALSO the generation to which that movement primarily appealed), and compare that with the established tenure (and cons***uency) of (primarily) Protestant, evangelical Christianity in the United States.

For the benefit of those who were not a part of that most interesting segment of U.S. history, i (who am one that was) will try to explain. The youth of America were again questioning traditional values (having come to a realization they were not living in a "Leave it to Beaver" world, but that senile old politicians were asking them to go out and sacrifice their lives on foreign soil in a war (in defense of such a fantasy) which they (the politicians) had no intention of winning. The idealism of their youth then became prey to alot of senile old politicians (on the Communist side) who saw their vulnerability, and therefore unleashed a campaign of tabloid sloganism, cheapening the import of such lofty yearnings as "PEACE" and "LOVE", among American youth (who, by this time, were doping themselves up on hallucinogenic drugs and calling "free love" what was, in reality, an expenditure of unbridled lust and anxiety, because the hypocrisy of their parents (and the values their parents had pretended to uphold) was the only gleam of Truth impinging on their conscious processes.

Srila Prabhupada appeared from the East (at a time when nearly every American adolescent considered it "cool" to have an Eastern guru, and those to whom he appealed came into his own residence and temples stinking of marijuana smoke and recently ejaculated semen, and it was from this tired, cynical, and basically unruly band of recruits that the underpinnings of an ancient Vedic civilization were transplanted onto American soil by a humble Indian soul, who had taken the commission of his spiritual master seriously, to familiarize people on the entire planet with the Hare Krishna Mahamantra, and to hold forth the chanting of the Holy Names of God and prayerful surrender unto Him as being the ultimate "escape route" back to Him, and that God was offering this most timely benediction not only to American youth, but also to all people on this entire Planet.

These were his "soldiers" in the early days- American kids who had come to the mistaken belief that the ends justify the means, and thus, many mistakes were made and are most frankly acknowledged by those of us whose lives were touched by Srila Prabhupada during the 60's and 70's, and i have personally asked God's (AND now your) forgiveness for all such mistakes that i have
    made (and will yet make) and have received from God the truly blissful ***urance that they have been forgiven (and will be, for as long as i make trying to serve God the object of primary focus in my life).

What i have shared with you here is not someone else's ****ysis of history, Jill, that you or any other member of this Discussion Board can "Google up" and find that it was copied from someone else's (or even my own) "canned" ****ysis of the pivotal role played by historical events in the birth or subsequent evolution of the Hare Krishna movement in the United States- please accept this as my very personal gift , offered exclusively to Walter Martin Discussion Boards.

ys,
    bmd.
    Last edited by bhuvana-mohan dasa; 03-03-2009 at 01:12 PM.

CleoSquare

Yes, I am always wary of these sorts of books bmd- I remember a book from my youth called 'the late great planet earth' that prophesied the end of the world. It quite messed me up for a while... made me very fearful and judgemental towards different countries etc.

I am also really wary of all these Christians who claim to have had near death experiences and visited Hell and use this as a proof of hell. The Bible does not teach that people go straight to hell- so how can there experience be anything other than a bizarre hallucination?

I really do think that we need to use our brains- as well as our emotions....

bhuvana-mohan dasa

Quote Originally Posted by CleoSquare View Post
    Yes, I am always wary of these sorts of books bmd- I remember a book from my youth called 'the late great planet earth' that prophesied the end of the world. It quite messed me up for a while... made me very fearful and judgemental towards different countries etc.

I am also really wary of all these Christians who claim to have had near death experiences and visited Hell and use this as a proof of hell. The Bible does not teach that people go straight to hell- so how can there experience be anything other than a bizarre hallucination?

I really do think that we need to use our brains- as well as our emotions....
    Frankly, i doubt that Mr. Kissinger & people reeaching his level of respect in public life could feel much threatened by these (quite wealthy) false prophets, and wouldn't waste time dignifying the accusations with lawsuits.

ys,
    bmd.
    Last edited by bhuvana-mohan dasa; 03-05-2009 at 02:28 PM. Reason: saw myself starting to do what my objects of criticism are guilty of...

sleepyhead

Hello,

I think I might be a new ager. I believe in the Edgar Cayce material which taught reincarnation, dream study, and astrology. I used to put a lot of effort into recording my dreams but I don't anymore. I never got to involved in astrology because it was too complicated. We believe in Jesus though we probably differ from mainstream Christianity on exactly what Jesus accomplished. We believe he will return when the way has been prepared for him. We aren't looking for any other world leader though I was rather happy to see Bush leave office and Obama take over as President.

Margie23

Hi sleeyhead and welcome!

I'm also very interested in reincarnation..and funny cause i think obama really looks like Abraham lincoln

Love
    margie

TamTam

Hi sleeyhead and welcome!

I'm also very interested in reincarnation..and funny cause i think obama really looks like Abraham lincoln

Love
    margie
    Reincarnation is interesting to me also although at this point I have not quite figured out exactly how I feel about it or if I even believe in it but I am fasinated with it all.