Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Age - What Do You Think?

Tatanka_Maza

Quote Originally Posted by TRiG View Post
    I'm sure New Agers are fond of things like dream-catchers (while probably understanding their cultural context no more than I do). As you say, vultures.

TRiG.
    If it were only *dreamcatchers* it wouldn't be that big of an issue. It is the wholesale appropriation and exploitation of our traditional ways for personal gain. Go into any bookstore and look in either the new age section, or if they have a *Native American* section. None of the books there are written by legitimate native spiritual people, but rather self styled *medicine men* (and women) who mix up an eclectic blend of various tribal traditions with a hodge podge of new agey airy fairy ****. The public reads this garbage, thinks it is the real deal, and when encountering a genuine traditional native, dismisses our true beliefs as nonsense. People who try to practice the horse hockey published in these books often get hurt, or hurt others, spiritually and sometimes physically.

bhuvana-mohan dasa

Quote Originally Posted by Tatanka_Maza View Post
    If it were only *dreamcatchers* it wouldn't be that big of an issue. It is the wholesale appropriation and exploitation of our traditional ways for personal gain. Go into any bookstore and look in either the new age section, or if they have a *Native American* section. None of the books there are written by legitimate native spiritual people, but rather self styled *medicine men* (and women) who mix up an eclectic blend of various tribal traditions with a hodge podge of new agey airy fairy ****. The public reads this garbage, thinks it is the real deal, and when encountering a genuine traditional native, dismisses our true beliefs as nonsense. People who try to practice the horse hockey published in these books often get hurt, or hurt others, spiritually and sometimes physically.
    i agree, Tatanka.......they have done the same to Native American tradition as to the Vedic......they've squeezed out novelties like "affirmations" (Mantras) and reincarnation......and turned their yuppie backs on accountability and morality.....

ys,
    bmd.

The fact is that New Agers readily embrace Hinduism. For instance, in our town in the wilderness mountains, a regular enclave for New Agers who control most of the tourist enterprises, the New Agers embrace Hindu phallic symbols, lingams I think they're called, used for Shiva worship. They sell these little phallic stones in the streets to bring world peace. When I pointed out to the lady that these were simply phallic symbols - she said they came from some river in India, and this river makes phallic symbols out of stones (I guess so that they can be sold by New Agers - who will buy into just about anything). New Agers also practice forms of Hinduism, thinking that it is superior to Christianity, I suppose. Hard to believe that worshipping mythical deities could be superior to knowing the Living God - but, of course, there is a spiritual blindness which prevades this area.

TRiG

Quote Originally Posted by Apologette View Post
    Hard to believe that worshipping mythical deities could be superior to knowing the Living God.
    Ah, arrogance. The casual dismissive tone you use while talking to people you disagree with is evidence of a rather unpleasant personality. And besides, you have no more evidence that your god is alive than anyone else here has that theirs is.

As has just been pointed out, the New Agers don't really accept Hinduism, or Native American spirituality, or anything much. They just pick out the bits they find pretty. We called them vultures. Perhaps they'd be better described as magpies.

I suppose what these people really want is mysticism, and perhaps the appeal of the unfamiliar. Of course, Christianity too has a mystic tradition, though it's uncommon these days. And if you want a group which is (a) within the general Christian tradition while being suitably heterodox to have the appeal of the unfamiliar, and (b) mystic, there's always the Gnostics.

But real Gosticism, real Mystic Christianity, or real Hinduism for that matter, take effort. Which is why the magpies don't do it, and just collect their crystals instead.

TRiG.

alanmolstad

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLaRock View Post
    I was listening to Pastor Joe Shimmel from Blessed Hope Chapel as he spoke about the New Age movement. He stated that it is his personal belief that satan is using the New Age movement to prepare the people of the world so they will be in the right state of mind and heart to embrace the kingdom of anti-christ when it is revealed.

There's no doubt that many of the prophecies dealing with the man of sin have some of the same elements as the New Age ideology. What do the rest of you think?
    there is some signs that Pastor Joe Shimmel is correct....
    For the teachings that were seen as strange to the church now have worked their way down into the church...