Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JWs - Free of pagan influence?

ChrisLaRock

Default JWs - Free of pagan influence?

I studied with JWs for almost a year, and one thing was always being brought up by the JW elder. He would boast that JWs are completely free of all pagan contamination.

This claim begs the question; If JWs are free of pagan contamination, why are they permitted to wear wedding rings and neck ties? Wedding rings, for example, date back to pagans who worshipped saturn.

BrianH

Good question.

And what about all the Masonic (Babylonian) imagery in their early publications and all over the grave site of their founder? Why do JWs exchange money with more of the same pagan imagery all over it? And what about the content of Acts 17, where Paul quotes Aratus, a pagan Greek pantheist - is that text not of "pagan" origin?

-BH

PostTribber

Default Polytheistic

pagans believe in 'many' gods. JW's believe Jesus is 'a' god. if JW's believe the Father is 'a' god, and Jesus is 'a' god, then that's pagan.

TRiG

Default Failure of basic logic

Quote Originally Posted by PostTribber View Post
    pagans believe in 'many' gods. JW's believe Jesus is 'a' god. if JW's believe the Father is 'a' god, and Jesus is 'a' god, then that's pagan.
    Pagans believe in many Gods.
    Witnesses believe in many Gods.
    Therefore, Witnesses are Pagans.

Cows are mammals.
    Goats are mammals.
    Therefore, goats are cows.

TRiG.

johnd

Quote Originally Posted by TRiG View Post
    Cows are mammals.
    Goats are mammals.
    TRiG.
    I appreciate the fact you are no longer JW, Trig but the logical fallacy is in your illustration.

reread both carefully.

TRiG

Default ?

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    I appreciate the fact you are no longer JW, Trig but the logical fallacy is in your illustration.

reread both carefully.
    I have done. The illustration has no fallacy that I can see.

TRiG.

johnd

Default de-flawed...

Cows are mammals.
    Goats are mammals.
    Therefore, goats and cows are mammals.

In keeping with the definition of mammals.

Jehovah's Witnesses believe in many Gods.

In keeping with the definition of Paganism.
    Although polytheism would have been a better (more accurate) choice of words.

TRiG

Cows are mammals.
    Goats are mammals.

You are clearly very very confused.

Therefore pagans and JWs believe in many gods.

Just look at the parallelisms.

TRiG.

GiGi

reread both carefully.
    Are Christians also pagans?

xjw4evr

The JW's view of Jesus and God comes directly from the pagan Greek philosopher Plato, ie. the Monas (God) and the Duas (Jesus).

asdf

Cows are mammals.
    Goats are mammals.

GiGi

Quote Originally Posted by xjw4evr View Post
    The JW's view of Jesus and God comes directly from the pagan Greek philosopher Plato, ie. the Monas (God) and the Duas (Jesus).
    Some will say that all of Christianity has pagan roots.

xjw4evr

Quote Originally Posted by GiGi View Post
    Some will say that all of Christianity has pagan roots.
    Only the uneducated or the liberal, my dear.

GiGi

Only the uneducated or the liberal, my dear.
    I don't understand. Why uneducated, why liberal?

xjw4evr

Why uneducated[?]
    Because there is so much scholarship out there that demonstrates, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that Christianity did not "evolve" out of a vacuum, but was developed from the kernels of Jewish religious thought found in the Old Testamant and inter-Testamental writings (much on which were discovered at the Dead Sea).

[W]hy liberal?
    Because most liberals (I speak of liberal Christian theologians) are stuck in the arguments of the 19th century Germans liberal theologians. These theologians made ***ertions that have been refuted with the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls (as mentioned above). Further, liberal Christians bring to the table the presupposition that Christianity was not a "child" of Judaism, but was some sort of cheap attempt at copying the pagan mystery religions. This claim is made in spite of clear evidence that many of these pagan mystery religions were copycats of Christianity, or contain legends that are as far removed from Christianity as modern humans are removed from the flea.

GiGi

Because there is so much scholarship out there that demonstrates, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that Christianity did not "evolve" out of a vacuum, but was developed from the kernels of Jewish religious thought found in the Old Testamant and inter-Testamental writings (much on which were discovered at the Dead Sea).

Because most liberals (I speak of liberal Christian theologians) are stuck in the arguments of the 19th century Germans liberal theologians. These theologians made ***ertions that have been refuted with the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls (as mentioned above). Further, liberal Christians bring to the table the presupposition that Christianity was not a "child" of Judaism, but was some sort of cheap attempt at copying the pagan mystery religions. This claim is made in spite of clear evidence that many of these pagan mystery religions were copycats of Christianity, or contain legends that are as far removed from Christianity as modern humans are removed from the flea.
    I've been participating on religious discussion boards for a while and I don't recall anyone ever saying that Christianity evolved from a vacuum.
    I think anyone familiar with Christianity knows that Jesus was, purportedly, Jewish.
    I think many have noticed the simularities between Christianity and other, more ancient religions.
    I'm not sure how you conclude from this that these folks are uneducated or liberals.

xjw4evr

I've been participating on religious discussion boards for a while and I don't recall anyone ever saying that Christianity evolved from a vacuum.
    Is it possible that you and I run in different crowds?

I think anyone familiar with Christianity knows that Jesus was, purportedly, Jewish.
    Really. In the crowds I deal with there are people that deny Jesus ever existed.

I think many have noticed the simularities between Christianity and other, more ancient religions.
    Sadly, I have spoken with many people that seem to believe that just because there are similarities, that Christianity ripped these off those religions.

I'm not sure how you conclude from this that these folks are uneducated or liberals.
    It's called 17 years of evangelism and apologetic work. I forgot something even more important...people that believe as you stated, are NOT Christians either.

GiGi

Is it possible that you and I run in different crowds?

Really. In the crowds I deal with there are people that deny Jesus ever existed.

Sadly, I have spoken with many people that seem to believe that just because there are similarities, that Christianity ripped these off those religions.

It's called 17 years of evangelism and apologetic work. I forgot something even more important...people that believe as you stated, are NOT Christians either.
    I've noticed a tendency in religious people, not just Christians, to dismiss the questions and concerns of others.
    Uneducated, liberal, and NOT Christians either? Could it be that you have that tendency?

xjw4evr

I've noticed a tendency in religious people, not just Christians, to dismiss the questions and concerns of others.
    Uneducated, liberal, and NOT Christians either? Could it be that you have that tendency?
    That would be an incorrect ***umption on your part.

I have noticed the tendency of atheists, agnostics and skeptics to dismiss the questions of others as being uneducated, narrow-minded, and bigoted.
    Last edited by xjw4evr; 09-12-2009 at 11:27 PM.

GiGi

I have noticed the tendency of atheists, agnostics and skeptics to dismiss the questions of others as being uneducated, narrow-minded, and bigoted.
    Do you have questions?

xjw4evr

Do you have questions?
    Are you ***erting that you are in a position to answer any questions I may have?

GiGi

Are you ***erting that you are in a position to answer any questions I may have?
    One thing is for sure, I won't dismiss you as uneducated, narrow-minded, or bigoted, unless you really are.

johnd

You are clearly very very confused.

Therefore pagans and JWs believe in many gods.

Just look at the parallelisms.

TRiG.

Yours simply don't follow.

johnd

Are Christians also pagans?
    How so?

Christians believe in one God.

James Banta

Cows are mammals.
    Goats are mammals.

TRiG.
    You have it backward
    The believe in many gods is Pagan
    Jw's believe in many gods
    Jw's are therefore pagan

mammals are cows
    mammals are goats
    there are many differnt animals that are mammals..

IHS jim