Thread: Should Christians Celebrate Halloween?

glm1978

Default Should Christians Celebrate Halloween?

Since it's October and Halloween (All Hallows Eve) is just around the corner I was wondering if anyone had a Christian or Biblical view of Halloween and celebrating.

SinClinic

Default Not so much...

We Christians can rationalize celebrating "Sacred Night - Hallowed Evening" by trying to turn something pagan in foundation to something Godly in the attempt to win the lost to Christ. However, the flesh usually wins the victory as it indulges in sweets, the eyes witness horror, the heart is not inspired but carried away in worldly laughter and vain glory.

I would never say that the lost don't get saved by well meaning Christians celebrating Halloween. I tend to believe, however, that since it's hard to tell an unsaved person in the Halloween spirit from a saved person in the Halloween spirit, it's not an effective way to win people to Christ.

We could easily convert Ramada into a 40 day Christian observance celebrating the victory of Christ's temptation in the wilderness. Each day we could refute false doctrine by quoting: "It is written..."

All in all, we have liberty in Christ to serve one another; but not a license to gratify the flesh.

glm1978

I agree, also I did start a Halloween thread in the LDS category so you might want to check that out too since its gets quite a few responses. As for my family we absolutely don't celebrate Halloween with any kind of candy, decorations, trick or treating, etc. Instead we pray for the lost souls that do celebrate. Although a lot of people would say not letting your children beg for candy is child abuse, to which I say get a life, get saved, and read your Bible.

nrajeff

mod edit

Instead we pray for the lost souls that do celebrate.
    ---Are you saying that all those Christians out there who do the Halloween thing, are lost souls?

glm1978

Quote Originally Posted by nrajeff View Post
    ---Did Sword yell at you for asking a question that wasn't related to LDSism? That's what he did to me for daring to ask him about TULIP, so I was just wondering how consistent he is.

---Are you saying that all those Christians out there who do the Halloween thing, are lost souls?
    Sword did not yell at me. This thread has been in this category longer than the one in the LDS category. My reason for putting it there is that members of the LDS faith that I have spoken with consider themselves to be Christian so I thought that they may have something to add to the topic.

As for Christian that are doing the Halloween thing, I cannot speak for all of them so I can't say that they are or are not Christians. I am just stating my personal conviction after reading the Bible and the meaning of Halloween.

I do realize it was started by the Catholic faith but has strayed far off the original basis for the celebration.

As far as "dressing up" most little children enjoy and engage in this activity. I am not condemning dressing up as Bible or even BoM characters, doctors, nurses, and things along those lines. The issue I have with costumes is devils, demons, horror movie characters, witches, sorcerers, etc. that not only frighten small children but also from the verses I posted in the LDS thread those things are against God's word.

nrajeff

I tend to agree about the devil costume thing: I have never allowed my children to do it. Why try to make yourself be like Satan? Makes little sense for a Christian to want to do that.

But please elaborate on your "lost souls" comment.

"Instead we pray for the lost souls that do celebrate."

Are you now saying that it's NOT just the lost souls who celebrate Halloween? Some of those who celebrate are born-again Christians?

TheSword99

---Did Sword yell at you for asking a question that wasn't related to LDSism? That's what he did to me for daring to ask him about TULIP, so I was just wondering how consistent he is.

You told a lie Jeff when you said that I said I reject TULIP. I never said that. But here you are posting in other threads about me. Why do you do things like this?

glm1978

I tend to agree about the devil costume thing: I have never allowed my children to do it. Why try to make yourself be like Satan? Makes little sense for a Christian to want to do that.

But please elaborate on your "lost souls" comment.

"Instead we pray for the lost souls that do celebrate."

Are you now saying that it's NOT just the lost souls who celebrate Halloween? Some of those who celebrate are born-again Christians?
    Jeff, as you are aware a lot of people that use the label Christian do not act like it, I'm sure most of us know someone in our lives that say that they are a Christian and yet they choose to abuse alcohol, illicit drugs, prescription drugs (I'm not saying that a prescription medication in and of itself is a bad thing, using them for the intended use is fine by me, but being addicted to painkillers or crushing pills and snorting or injection for a high is different), or beat their family members. My opinion is that if people are Christians you see the evidence of that in their lives, Christ even named the fruits of the spirit. I do agree with you on the fact that we all have free agency and can choose what we want to do. So no its not just the lost that celebrate but I wonder how many of those that profess to be Christians really are.

ActRaiser

As a Christian, no I will not celebrate Halloween. It's wrong, and unBiblical, despite being fun. Satan likes to corrupt. Therefore he has specifically chosen certain things to corrupt more than others. Halloween is one of them.

alanmolstad

I got no problem with handing out candy to little kids one night a year.

Quote Originally Posted by glm1978 View Post
    Since it's October and Halloween (All Hallows Eve) is just around the corner I was wondering if anyone had a Christian or Biblical view of Halloween and celebrating.
    Since a couple of people posted recently to this, I'd like to reply also. My "tradition" for Halloween is to hand out a candy bar and a Chick tract to every child coming to my door. I leave my light on to indicate to every child that my door is open and they are welcome. I do not believe in Halloween supers***ions (I used to, but not any more). The Spirit of Christ in me is greater than any evil spirit, so they all flee. Whenever children come to my door, they experience the warmth of the peace of Christ, and they are given His words of life. I encourage everyone reading this post to celebrate the same purpose, however you may do it in your home.
    TD
    Last edited by tdidymas; 10-06-2011 at 09:19 AM. Reason: in case anyone is offended by a statement...

Decalogue

Quote Originally Posted by glm1978 View Post
    It is NOT a thing for Christians to celebrate or participate in. It is straight from the old Druid religion of ancient Scotland ( and some of Ireland ) . The Druid "priests" brought the "light" to the people , but in Christianity --- Jesus Christ is the light.

Carved skulls ... "Jack-o'lanterns" from pumpkins are not some part of judaism or Christianity.

Druid religion and what they did in old times should have NO place in your practise or heart ,,, if you are a believer in Jesus Christ !

If you and your kids/family/church/school want to dress-up in costumes and celebrate "The night of the dead' { as in Mexico } , I would suggest instead that you dress-up like Martin Luther.

Tack up a copy of the "95 thesis" on the Wittenburg Door. Girls could dress-up like Catherine Von Bora ( later- Mrs. Luther. ) . Sing songs about the Reformation and songs about Reformation Bible verses. { Such as themes like "Justification of Faith" }.

see Ezra 6:21 and , 2Cor. 6:17.
    Last edited by Decalogue; 01-27-2013 at 12:35 PM.

alanmolstad

all you have to do is turn your porch light on and hand out some candy treats to little kids that mostly live within walking distance of your house.

You will be fine....

If you dont want to go to the trouble of what...saying hello to kids and their parents who live near you?...then turn your lights off and done answer the door.