Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: What is Spirit?

James Banta

Quote Originally Posted by Knox View Post
    Good point, Jim. You sound LDS.
    Personally I believe God made ALL things.. That would include the elements that the stars and planets of the universe are made of. I know you deny the scripture that says Jesus did do that so I was trying to meet you where you are at.. But to me this doctrine is a denial of the scripture and the power of God.. For this discussion on "spirit" I wanted to make the point that God formed the spirit of man within him (Zech 12:1).. If that sounds like mormonism then I would say you don't understand mormonism and you need to come to church with me Sunday morning because you are close to the Kingdom of God.. IHS jim

alanmolstad

Q - What is spirit?

A - When you die, and they place your dead body in a hole and cover you with dirt...Your "spirit" is the part of you that is not down in that hole.

RealFakeHair

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    Q - What is spirit?

A - When you die, and they place your dead body in a hole and cover you with dirt...Your "spirit" is the part of you that is not down in that hole.
    What is a spirit? Answer, haven't you seen the movie, 'The ghost and Mr. Chicken?'

I wonder how many threads are started about the nature of God here.
    I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon)--Luk 24:32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?

James Banta

Quote Originally Posted by BigJulie View Post
    I wonder how many threads are started about the nature of God here.
    You don't see that as a major issue?

John 17:3
    And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

I would think you would love such discussions.. IHS jim

alanmolstad

The main issue in a good understanding of the term "Spirit" is that the meanings change according to the context the term is used within.

As writers of the books of the Bible also struggled with talking about the "spirit" and that is how we come to the understandings of "Ghost" and "Breath" and "wind".
    For the terms ghost, spirit, wind, and breath all have one important thing in common, they all are invisible.

Being invisible, there is nothing a person can point to and say, "That there is just like the spirit"
    You cant say that because the term spirit is talking about something that is not like anything else because it's invisible.

This is why many times people in the Bible will talk about what the spirit is not.
    And example is when Jesus says that a spirit does not have flesh and bone.

Russianwolfe

The main issue in a good understanding of the term "Spirit" is that the meanings change according to the context the term is used within.

As writers of the books of the Bible also struggled with talking about the "spirit" and that is how we come to the understandings of "Ghost" and "Breath" and "wind".
    For the terms ghost, spirit, wind, and breath all have one important thing in common, they all are invisible.

Being invisible, there is nothing a person can point to and say, "That there is just like the spirit"
    You cant say that because the term spirit is talking about something that is not like anything else because it's invisible.

This is why many times people in the Bible will talk about what the spirit is not.
    And example is when Jesus says that a spirit does not have flesh and bone.
    Not at all helpful or informative. Does not provide any scriptures to support your points.

Marvin

alanmolstad

Quote Originally Posted by Russianwolfe View Post
    Not at all helpful or informative. Does not provide any scriptures to support your points.

Marvin
    I raise many points...what one would you like to see where it stems from in the Bible?

Russianwolfe

I raise many points...what one would you like to see where it stems from in the Bible?
    How about just providing a Biblical definition of spirit? It is very important. If you say that God but there is no definition then you are speculating any time you say what spirit is. With a Biblical definition of Spirit how can you know that God is spirit and what that means? In other words, without a Biblical definition of Spirit, you cannot know God.

Marvin

alanmolstad

Quote Originally Posted by Russianwolfe View Post
    How about just providing a Biblical definition of spirit?
    see post #181 above....

alanmolstad

The main issue (or problem) in a good understanding of the term "Spirit" is that the meaning will change according to the context the term is used within
    Last edited by alanmolstad; 10-29-2017 at 02:17 PM.

alanmolstad

writers of the books of the Bible also struggled with talking about the "spirit" and that is how we come to the understandings of "Ghost" and "Breath" and "wind".

alanmolstad

alanmolstad

alanmolstad

An example is when Jesus says that a spirit does not have flesh and bone.