Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 87

Thread: Biblical Proof that it's impossible for God to have a body?

  1. #1
    Knox
    Guest

    Default Biblical Proof that it's impossible for God to have a body?

    Anyone got some Biblical Proof that it's impossible for God to have a body?

  2. #2
    James Banta
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Knox View Post
    Anyone got some Biblical Proof that it's impossible for God to have a body?

    There is what Solomon said about the Temple.. How it couldn't contain Him (1 Kings 8:27).. If God were not a Spirit how is it that the Temple that Solomon built not contain Him? Just one more evidence from the Bible that God is indeed Spirit.. IHS jim

  3. #3
    Knox
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James Banta View Post
    There is what Solomon said about the Temple.. How it couldn't contain Him (1 Kings 8:27).. If God were not a Spirit how is it that the Temple that Solomon built not contain Him?
    What if God is just really large, like the monster in "Cloverfield"? Solomon's temple couldn't contain that monster, either, so "temple can't contain" doesn't prove "no body."

  4. #4
    James Banta
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Knox View Post
    What if God is just really large, like the monster in "Cloverfield"? Solomon's temple couldn't contain that monster, either, so "temple can't contain" doesn't prove "no body."
    What if? Did you just say "What If"? Why is it you are ready to toss away what the Bible teaches about God and try to make up your own God based on your own "what ifs".. The Bible says He is Spirit.. Solomon said that that the Spirit that is God was bigger then His small temple continuing saying that even the heaven and heaven of heavens cannot contain Him.. And you answer is to say that you think it means that He is a monster.. Well maybe as you stand before Him to b judged by your works, a lifetime of failure to keep His statutes you will see Him as a monster..

    Those of us that are in Jesus will see Him as the loving Father He really wants to be.. IHS jim

  5. #5
    Senior Member MacG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Knox View Post
    What if God is just really large, like the monster in "Cloverfield"? Solomon's temple couldn't contain that monster, either, so "temple can't contain" doesn't prove "no body."
    "1 Surely the arm of the LORD is not too short to save, " IS:59

    He gotta be big for His arm to reach from the Kolob system...
    "Said I'm not what I ought to be, but I'm better, better than I used to be, I'm gettin better all the time" - Blind Boys of Alabama Ephesians 4:22-24 NASB ..."that, in reference to your former manner of life, you lay aside the old self, which is being corrupted in accordance with the lusts of deceit, and that you be renewed in the spirit of your mind, and put on the new self, which in the likeness of God has been created in righteousness and holiness of the truth"

  6. #6
    Knox
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacG View Post
    "1 Surely the arm of the LORD is not too short to save, " IS:59
    He gotta be big for His arm to reach from the Kolob system...
    Good one, Mac. So, does anyone have anything that would convince LDS people that it is impossible for God to be a spirit with a body? You know, like His Son is? Of course, if Trinitarianism is true, then you already believe that God has a body, since one of the 3 Persons that make up God, does indeed have a body which was shown to many people--according to the Bible.

    So maybe this thread is unnecessary, if you all already believe that God (at least one-third of what you believe to be God) has a body.

  7. #7
    Knox
    Guest

    Default

    Maybe the whole issue is trivial, if it's just a matter of Trinitarians believing that 1/3 of God has a body, and LDS believing that 2/3 of God have bodies. What's the big deal about a mere fraction?

  8. #8
    James Banta
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Knox View Post
    Maybe the whole issue is trivial, if it's just a matter of Trinitarians believing that 1/3 of God has a body, and LDS believing that 2/3 of God have bodies. What's the big deal about a mere fraction?
    It has to do with knowing the true God and not the ravings of a false teacher.. A false teacher that taught a false God.. Holding a false God to be God is to deny eternal life to those that accept the false teaching:
    John 17:3
    And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

    If you deny the witness God gave of Himself you have turned to idols and as you turned to idols you turn away from eternal life.. That sounds pretty serious to me.. IHS jim

  9. #9
    Knox
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James Banta View Post
    It has to do with knowing the true God and not the ravings of a false teacher..
    But it's the BIBLE that says that two of the 3 Persons are so much alike that it's hard to distinguish between them. Is the Bible the ravings of a madman?

    THE BIBLE says that Jesus is like His Father in every way. Notice that it doesn't say that about the Holy Spirit. Hmmmm. Maybe there is some difference between The Holy Spirit, and the other two Persons. I wonder what that difference could be. Any guesses, Jim?

  10. #10
    James Banta
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Knox View Post
    But it's the BIBLE that says that two of the 3 Persons are so much alike that it's hard to distinguish between them. Is the Bible the ravings of a madman?

    THE BIBLE says that Jesus is like His Father in every way. Notice that it doesn't say that about the Holy Spirit. Hmmmm. Maybe there is some difference between The Holy Spirit, and the other two Persons. I wonder what that difference could be. Any guesses, Jim?
    How one ever asked Jesus to show them the Holy Spirit.. Since He is God when you have seen Jesus (Who is God) you have also seen the Holy Spirit.. They are one in their BEING.. You are to into the physical here and not into the nature of the divine persons.. They are ALL alike in that nature.. God is Spirit, a spirit in invisible.. Jesus is NOT INVISIBLE.. He doesn't look like something that can't be seen by the eyes of flesh. He took on the same flesh that we walk in.. His nature reveals the Father as it reveals the Holy Spirit.. Jesus answered the question, He made it clear that He is the Mighty God, the everlasting Father.. Is there any dispute on that point? IHS jim

  11. #11
    Senior Member MacG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Knox View Post
    and LDS believing that 2/3 of God have bodies. ?
    LDS seriously believe this?
    "Said I'm not what I ought to be, but I'm better, better than I used to be, I'm gettin better all the time" - Blind Boys of Alabama Ephesians 4:22-24 NASB ..."that, in reference to your former manner of life, you lay aside the old self, which is being corrupted in accordance with the lusts of deceit, and that you be renewed in the spirit of your mind, and put on the new self, which in the likeness of God has been created in righteousness and holiness of the truth"

  12. #12
    Billyray
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Knox View Post

    THE BIBLE says that Jesus is like His Father in every way.
    Did God the Father come to this earth and gain a body?

  13. #13
    Knox
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James Banta View Post
    ... Jesus is NOT INVISIBLE.. He doesn't look like something that can't be seen by the eyes of flesh. He took on the same flesh that we walk in.. His nature reveals the Father as it reveals the Holy Spirit.. Jesus answered the question, He made it clear that He is the Mighty God, the everlasting Father.. Is there any dispute on that point? IHS jim
    Ever heard the expression "Like Father, like Son?"

  14. #14
    Knox
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacG View Post
    LDS seriously believe this?
    Yup, LDS believe that the Godhead consists of 3 Persons, and that 2 of those 3 have been resurrected and have immortal bodies that you could be allowed to see and embrace.

  15. #15
    Billyray
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Knox View Post
    Yup, LDS believe that the Godhead consists of 3 Persons, and that 2 of those 3 have been resurrected and have immortal bodies that you could be allowed to see and embrace.
    Why do you think that no other Christian church that I am aware of except the FLDS believe that God the Father has a body of flesh and bones and was a man on another planet?

  16. #16
    Senior Member MacG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Knox View Post
    Yup, LDS believe that the Godhead consists of 3 Persons, and that 2 of those 3 have been resurrected and have immortal bodies that you could be allowed to see and embrace.
    AH, Godhead not God. Got it.

    Curious though. Jesus humbled himself not thinking that being equal with God was not stealing from God humbled Himself and died on a cross for my sins and yours and was resureected on the thrid day defeating death, oh death where is thy sting, where O grave is thy victory? What the did the Father die for and what was the purpose for his early resurrection ahead of all of us carnalized spirit babies?

    MacG
    "Said I'm not what I ought to be, but I'm better, better than I used to be, I'm gettin better all the time" - Blind Boys of Alabama Ephesians 4:22-24 NASB ..."that, in reference to your former manner of life, you lay aside the old self, which is being corrupted in accordance with the lusts of deceit, and that you be renewed in the spirit of your mind, and put on the new self, which in the likeness of God has been created in righteousness and holiness of the truth"

  17. #17
    Knox
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Billyray View Post
    Why do you think that no other Christian church that I am aware of except the FLDS believe that God the Father has a body of flesh and bones and was a man on another planet?
    I think the reason that mainstream Christianity currently doesn't believe in this doctrine, is that it abandoned it back when it was being influenced by pagan theology.

  18. #18
    Knox
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacG View Post
    AH, Godhead not God. Got it. Curious though. Jesus humbled himself not thinking that being equal with God was not stealing from God humbled Himself and died on a cross for my sins and yours and was resureected on the thrid day defeating death, oh death where is thy sting, where O grave is thy victory?
    Amen to all that. Well said. I wonder if the other implication in that passage, is that just as Jesus didn't think it robbery to be equal with His Father, we should not think it robbery to want to become like Jesus.

    What the did the Father die for and what was the purpose for his early resurrection ahead of all of us carnalized spirit babies?
    The only info we have in the Bible on that, is Jesus saying that He only did what He saw His Father do, and the Bible verse that says that Jesus is like His Father in every way, which would mean that the Father is like Jesus in every way.

  19. #19
    Billyray
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Knox View Post
    I think the reason that mainstream Christianity currently doesn't believe in this doctrine, is that it abandoned it back when it was being influenced by pagan theology.
    Because this would of happened long after the OT and the NT were written don't you think that there would be some mention in the Bible that God the Father had a body of flesh and bone and that he was a man that lived on another planet?

  20. #20
    Senior Member MacG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Knox View Post
    Amen to all that. Well said. I wonder if the other implication in that passage, is that just as Jesus didn't think it robbery to be equal with His Father, we should not think it robbery to want to become like Jesus.
    Since when does becoming like Him equate to equal. Lots of things are like one another for instance Obama is like me however I will never be equal to him especially on the b-ball court.

    The only info we have in the Bible on that, is Jesus saying that He only did what He saw His Father do, and the Bible verse that says that Jesus is like His Father in every way, which would mean that the Father is like Jesus in every way.
    Aw, why limit yourself to the deficient mistake ridden bible I know at least one of your Apostles thought that Adam was God the Father. What published TCJCLDS literature (paid for with your tithe money BTW) contradicts this prophetic utterance (prophecy in the preaching sense)?

    MacG
    "Said I'm not what I ought to be, but I'm better, better than I used to be, I'm gettin better all the time" - Blind Boys of Alabama Ephesians 4:22-24 NASB ..."that, in reference to your former manner of life, you lay aside the old self, which is being corrupted in accordance with the lusts of deceit, and that you be renewed in the spirit of your mind, and put on the new self, which in the likeness of God has been created in righteousness and holiness of the truth"

  21. #21
    Knox
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacG View Post
    Since when does becoming like Him equate to equal.
    How do you know that Jesus is equal to His Father in every way?

    Lots of things are like one another for instance Obama is like me however I will never be equal to him especially on the b-ball court.
    He probably cheats and plays dirty. He had that elbow coming to him.

    Aw, why limit yourself to the deficient mistake ridden bible
    So I can support LDS doctrines with a book that you won't reject.

    I know at least one of your Apostles thought that Adam was God the Father.
    You don't know that. You believe certain interpretations of what was reportedly said. McConkie, while an apostle, stated that Adam is a child of God the Father like the rest of us are. He said that the idea that Adam is Jesus and our "Father who art in heaven" is false doctrine and that any LDS who believes it's a true doctrine, is on the road to apostasy. I agree. But if you are not LDS, you are free to believe that Adam is your heavenly father, and there is nothing the LDS church can or will do to punish you for so believing.

  22. #22
    James Banta
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Knox View Post
    Ever heard the expression "Like Father, like Son?"
    I have heard people say it normally about a criminal father so his son must be a criminal too. But try as I might I can't find this saying in the Bible.. Can you.. I am here to explain the problems of mormonism to mormons not to defend old sayings.. IHS jim

  23. #23
    Knox
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James Banta View Post
    I have heard people say it normally about a criminal father
    Are you calling Jesus' Father a criminal?

    so his son must be a criminal too.
    Are you calling Jesus a criminal? Why can't the expression "Like Father, like Son" be used as a reference to two GOOD people, to say that a Son is very good because He takes after His Father?

    But try as I might I can't find this saying in the Bible.. Can you..
    Yes I can, because I am familiar with the Bible, so I will help you out:

    "God's Son has all the brightness of God's own glory and is like him in every way."

    Hebrews 1:3 (Contemporary English Version)

    Like Father, like Son.

  24. #24
    Senior Member MacG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Knox View Post
    Are you calling Jesus' Father a criminal?


    Are you calling Jesus a criminal? Why can't the expression "Like Father, like Son" be used as a reference to two GOOD people, to say that a Son is very good because He takes after His Father?


    Yes I can, because I am familiar with the Bible, so I will help you out:

    "God's Son has all the brightness of God's own glory and is like him in every way."

    Hebrews 1:3 (Contemporary English Version)

    Like Father, like Son.
    "And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power. When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high" NASB
    "Said I'm not what I ought to be, but I'm better, better than I used to be, I'm gettin better all the time" - Blind Boys of Alabama Ephesians 4:22-24 NASB ..."that, in reference to your former manner of life, you lay aside the old self, which is being corrupted in accordance with the lusts of deceit, and that you be renewed in the spirit of your mind, and put on the new self, which in the likeness of God has been created in righteousness and holiness of the truth"

  25. #25
    Senior Member MacG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Knox View Post
    You don't know that. You believe certain interpretations of what was reportedly said. McConkie, while an apostle, stated that Adam is a child of God the Father like the rest of us are. He said that the idea that Adam is Jesus and our "Father who art in heaven" is false doctrine and that any LDS who believes it's a true doctrine, is on the road to apostasy. I agree. But if you are not LDS, you are free to believe that Adam is your heavenly father, and there is nothing the LDS church can or will do to punish you for so believing.
    Brigham was an apostate?? TCJCLDS did not have hymns published that reinforced and encouraged one another with song in regards to Adam being God, well at least being Michael the Archangel?

    MacG
    "Said I'm not what I ought to be, but I'm better, better than I used to be, I'm gettin better all the time" - Blind Boys of Alabama Ephesians 4:22-24 NASB ..."that, in reference to your former manner of life, you lay aside the old self, which is being corrupted in accordance with the lusts of deceit, and that you be renewed in the spirit of your mind, and put on the new self, which in the likeness of God has been created in righteousness and holiness of the truth"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •