Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the requirements to be a Christian?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Billyray

Default What are the requirements to be a Christian?

People on this board throw around the term Christian verses non Christian. What exactly are the requirements to be a Christian?

some1you_know

Quote Originally Posted by Billyray View Post
    People on this board throw around the term Christian verses non Christian. What exactly are the requirements to be a Christian?
    John 5: 24 says, "Truly, I say to you, he who hears My words and believes in Him who sent Me, has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgement, but has p***ed from death to life."

John 6: 29 says, "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent."

Romans 10: 9 says, "That if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved."

Billyray

Quote Originally Posted by some1you_know View Post
    John 5: 24 says, "Truly, I say to you, he who hears My words and believes in Him who sent Me, has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgement, but has p***ed from death to life."

John 6: 29 says, "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent."

Romans 10: 9 says, "That if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved."
    So a Christian is defined by having faith in the true Jesus and nothing else?

some1you_know

So a Christian is defined by having faith in the true Jesus and nothing else?
    I would say that according to the Bible, yes. But, as you wisely stated, it must be faith in the One True God, not an idol of our own imagination. Just like Galatians 1: 6-10 states.

Billyray

I would say that according to the Bible, yes. But, as you wisely stated, it must be faith in the One True God, not an idol of our own imagination.
    I totally agree with you that what defines a Christian is having faith in the true Jesus.

Billyray

Certainly Christians will naturally have a life consistent with their beliefs and over time they will become more and more Christlike via sanctification. But does anyone feel that there are any actions or works required in addition to your faith to be considered a Christian?

robsmom

Actions or works? No. We cannot earn our salvation. Eph. 2:10 says that Christ has prepared us to DO works but we are not saved BY works.

"Nothing in my hand I bring; simply to thy cross I cling."

ErikErik

Quote Originally Posted by robsmom View Post
    Actions or works? No. We cannot earn our salvation. Eph. 2:10 says that Christ has prepared us to DO works but we are not saved BY works.

"Nothing in my hand I bring; simply to thy cross I cling."
    I love your signature. It is so true. Thank you for posting it.

Snow Patrol

Just curious here, but how do you get faith in the true Jesus "and nothing else" out of those scriptures.

Billyray

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Patrol View Post
    Just curious here, but how do you get faith in the true Jesus "and nothing else" out of those scriptures.
    What do you think are the requirements to be a Christian?

ErikErik

Because the Scriptures teaches that works do not save us. It also says that remission of sins can only come by the blood of Christ

some1you_know

Snow- John 6: 29 states that the work of God is to believe in Him whom He sent. Our own works of righteousness are like filthy rags before God. We only become righteous when we acknowledge and accept what He did for us. 2 Corinthians 5: 21 tells us that Christ became sin for us, to take our deserved punishment, so we could be reconciled with God. Our works, filthy rags, could never allow us to reconciled to the Father.

Fig-bearing Thistle

Snow- John 6: 29 states that the work of God is to believe in Him whom He sent. Our own works of righteousness are like filthy rags before God. We only become righteous when we acknowledge and accept what He did for us. 2 Corinthians 5: 21 tells us that Christ became sin for us, to take our deserved punishment, so we could be reconciled with God. Our works, filthy rags, could never allow us to reconciled to the Father.
    I don't believe Jesus' atonement is sufficient to absolve you of all personal responsibility.

Do you think God accepts filthy rags?

Billyray

Quote Originally Posted by Fig-bearing Thistle View Post
    I don't believe Jesus' atonement is sufficient to absolve you of all personal responsibility.

Do you think God accepts filthy rags?
    Fig what are the requirement to be a Christian?

Billyray

Quote Originally Posted by James Banta View Post
    When I am asked how many Christians there are I agree with Jesus and say "FEW".. IHS jim
    Jim from your comment above it appears that there are only a small percentage of Christians who are really Christians. Can you tell me the criteria you use to determine who is and who is not really a Christian?

Billyray

What could possibly be more important in knowing the exact criteria for being a Christian? How could a person know what is required if he has no idea what is required? I am a little surprised at the lack of responses from some of our long term posters.
    Last edited by Billyray; 05-24-2011 at 07:25 PM.

alanmolstad

We are Christians because of the resurrection.
    No other teaching in the Bible stands as important that this one single idea.
    That Christ died, and was raised again in an immortal body of flesh and bone.

Now, after this, there are some other very important ideas that mark us Christians out.
    The Trinity, salvation my Grace though faith, baptism, the holy Meal...the use of the Bible as canon...

Billyray

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    We are Christians because of the resurrection. . .salvation my Grace though faith. . .
    Alan could you clarify for me? We are Christians because of the resurrection or because we place our faith in Christ? And what else besides our faith is required?

alanmolstad

Alan could you clarify for me? We are Christians because of the resurrection or because we place our faith in Christ? And what else besides our faith is required?

Ok, the answer is this-

It don't matter squat what part of the Bible is true or what part is just a fake story, as long as the Resurrection of Christ is real.

This means that all of the bible could be totally true, 100% translated correctly, and yet it would be a moot point if the story of the Resurrection of Christ was a lie.

This also means that the whole Bible would be just a big fat lie, and you would not matter as long as the story of the resurrection was true.

This shows you that there is a Christian religion only because of the resurrection....take away the resurrection from our religion and the Christian Church becomes just a big joke...

We become Christians when we believe in the resurrection.

There is no other means.....
    no other issue,,,
    no other question,,,
    no other teaching that we also have to believe in that makes us Christians.

The moment you believe in the resurrection of Christ, you become a member of the Body of Christ...and can be called "Christian"

The same goes for not believing the resurrection.

You can believe in all the other things we Christians believe in, but if you dont believe in the resurrection of Christ you are not a Christian....

There....that should be very clear now as to what I mean....
    Any questions?.

dfoJC

What could possibly be more important in knowing the exact criteria for being a Christian? How could a person know what is required if he has no idea what is required? I am a little surprised at the lack of responses from some of our long term posters.
    Good thread here Billyray. I found every answer good, but for me there is but one truth that defines what being a Christian is. And given the culture that we are living in this truth is an absolute, for today the word "christian" has any number of definitions, and some of those definitions are totally repugnant to me.

The one truth for me to be a christian is simply this, "you must be born again." That is, the old is p***ed away, all things have become new. Being born from above. It is such a simple yet profoundly life changing event.

One who has never been born again is not a christian, he or she may claim to be a christian, but inevitably, they cannot be based upon this one truth.

Thanks be to Him who made this rebirth possible. ĦA El sea la gloria!

dfoJC

Interesting that any 'Christian" believes there are "requirements" to be a Christian.

So, the question becomes--would you consider the Good Samaritan a "Christian" or not?

Billyray

Quote Originally Posted by BigJulie View Post
    Interesting that any 'Christian" believes there are "requirements" to be a Christian.
    BigJ you have a good point and a point that I am trying to get at with this thread. You are a least consistent with your theological position. You believe in works and actions in addition to faith so when you said that I was not a Christian it was based on the belief that I did not display certain works/actions. However when Jim said that I was not a Christian this goes against what he believes theologically thus it is inconsistent on his part. Agree?

James Banta

Quote Originally Posted by BigJulie View Post

So, the question becomes--would you consider the Good Samaritan a "Christian" or not?
    Since when has a christian here ever said that there are no "requirements to be a Christian.. If that were the case I would call you a Christian or a Moslem a Christian. You have to Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ as He is revealed in His word the Bible to be a Christian.. The Moslem believes that Jesus was a prophet, the member of the LDS church believes Him to be a created being that became a god by obedience to laws and ordinances.. No difference really, both say He is a creation of God.. But do they hold that He is GOD, THE GOD, the creator of all things? NO! As long as mormonism holds that doctrine of the nature of Jesus it is a non christian religion. As long as it hold the earmarks of a religious cult (Extra biblical revelation and strong centralized leadership) it is a cult.. Mormonism is therefore a non-christian cult..

As far as a born again child of God not being a Christian that is a misstatement that shows serious misunderstanding.. As long as there are such people here that cause division within the body of Christ they will be treated as an unbeliever.. Not that they are an unbeliever.. IHS jim

Billyray

Quote Originally Posted by James Banta View Post
    You have to Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ as He is revealed in His word the Bible to be a Christian.jim
    Jim I believe in the Lord Jesus Christ yet you have labeled me a non Christian. Don't you think that this is an inconsistency on your part? Or do you believe that additional works/actions are required?

Billyray

Both sides have labeled me a non Christian. I think that it is only fair that both sides give me (and others who might benefit) the requirements to be a Christian. This seems like a simple yet fair request. Don't you think?