Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the requirements to be a Christian?

alanmolstad

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post

This forum section is about Mormons, and in that light I know that there are many issues that the Mormons teach that run counter to my own views.
    But that does not mean anything...

You can be a Christian and have extra Canon.
    You can be a Christian and have your own Apostles
    You can be a Christian and have your own temple
    You can be a Christian and have secret handshakes, secret names.

You can have all the the trimmings that you ***ociate with the Mormon church and still be Christian....as long as you return to the only central idea behind the Christian faith,,,,the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

If a person does not change who Jesus Christ is, If the person does not change the meaning of the Christian churches teachings about the death and resurrection of the true Jesus Christ of the bible....then there is room for many things that are at best debatable side-issues.

But change who Jesus Christ is?....Change the story of the resurrection?...and it dont matter what other what else a person has faith in....you are still not a Christian
    Sometimes I look at the church and i see there standing in the doorway a Christian that is proclaiming the message of his church loudly...

But as I draw closer I notice something else....

I cant tell if the guy is holding the door to his church open for others,,,or is busy shutting the door?
    Last edited by alanmolstad; 05-28-2011 at 10:27 AM.

Billyray

Quote Originally Posted by ErikErik View Post
    Christians must align themselves with the teaching of Scriptures and not of men
    I couldn't agree with you more Erik.

Billyray

Quote Originally Posted by TheSword99 View Post
    You said you were regenerated first before conversion which includes faith. If regeneration precedes faith, then this would make faith unnecessary since the person would already be saved.
    Sword this is a bogus argument that I could turn around on you. "Then this would make [regeneration] unnecessary since the person would already be saved".

Conversion (faith and repentance)---->Salvation----->Regeneration

(BTW you are not saved until AFTER conversion so you have my position wrong anyway)

Billyray

Quote Originally Posted by BigJulie View Post
    I also understand that it is only God that understands truly what His spirit has shared and how those who have it have or have not acted upon it.
    Do you believe that God unequally shares things with different people via his spirit? And isn't this unfair by LDS standards?

Billyray

It would be remiss if Christians let you go unchecked trying to teach others this false belief
    Then you would agree that it would be remiss for me to let you teach false doctrine. Agree?

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    My point is that simply fails...

We can not define the term "Christian" by the manner we live like....
    The only thing that we can use to define the term "Christian" is the faith of the person.
    And of the things that a Christian has faith in, the most important (above all other things) is the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

There are millions if not Billions of people alive on the earth that are acting in a manner traditionally characterized as "Christian"....yet they are not Christian at all and could be of any faith or have no faith at all.

take a moment and listen to the ideas of a person who we honor by being on this forum http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdmIQkX7_no
    Alan, I want you to step back and try to step out of your paradigm just a little. Let's take one example of one thing--let's say honesty or dishonesty. Now, most religions of the world teach that it is important to be honest, right? I want you to think about it. Where did that truth come from? I say that it came from God and that there is no other source for goodness. So, let's say that a person grows up in some part of the world, in some place in the world, at some time of the world in which they never learned of the resurrection of Jesus Christ--but they did learn about honesty. Now, this person can either choose to be honest or they can choose to be dishonest. I say that if they choose honesty, they are showing faith in Jesus Christ even though they have never heard of His name. They are acting on something good. So, how do I view that Christ would view them? I believe He would view them as someone acting on faith in Him. Like the parable of the talents--God does not judge harshly the one who had only been given two talents but does well with it. The only person He judges harshly is the one who, when given a talent, did nothing with it.

Also, I have discussed the parable of the two Sons. This parable also teaches this principle. So, my point? To act like we can discern who is the "in" crowd with God and who is the "out" crowd with God is futile. Only He knows what "talents" He has given in the way of spiritual knowledge and gifts and only He can decide if the person has been a good steward with them or not. So, to me, this question is the same as "who is my neighbor?" It speaks to a false belief that we can determine who is "in" or "out" by what they state they believe. Rather, like the Good Samaritan, God judges based on knowledge given and what the receiver does with it. In other words, I can state I believe all I want in the resurrection of Christ, but if I (like the son who chose to do nothing) act without faith, as Christ says "even the harlots and the publicans will enter the kingdom of God" before me.

I agree that your definition is how the world defines Christianity--those who profess a belief in the living Christ. Yet, I believe that how we, as the world defines it, is not necessarily reality in theway God judges a "Christian."
    I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon)--Luk 24:32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?

Billyray

Quote Originally Posted by BigJulie View Post
    Now, most religions of the world teach that it is important to be honest, right? I want you to think about it. Where did that truth come from? I say that it came from God and that there is no other source for goodness.
    God gives everyone a basic standard or internal comp***, see Romans 2. People who have never had the opportunity will be judged based on the knowledge that they had. What will happen to them I don't know. These type of people today are the exception to the rule. But this does not make them Christian even you would agree with that because you believe that these people will still need to accept Christ in the afterlife. What about all of the people who are living today who have heard about Christ and who do not have faith in Christ, yet they do good works are they Christian?

ErikErik

Quote Originally Posted by Billyray View Post
    And this thread was going along just fine speaking about requirements to be a Christian until Sword felt the need to derail it. Maybe Sword should of started a new thread?

Regeneration occurs because of the Spirit of God and the word of God just as it was in God’s calling through the preaching of the Gospel. Regeneration is a rebirth, to be re-generated. It points to the inward change that occurs in those who are saved. (John 3:7, 1 Peter 1:23, ***us 3:5) Did you notice that? You have to be saved before God can give you a new heart. That's what happens when we are born again. God works on changing our hearts.

Regeneration is possible because of the work of the Holy Spirit and occurs by the implanting of the word of God in the receptive heart (1 Peter 1:23,25)

A receptive heart. It does not say only the hearts of those people God had chosen from the foundation of the world to be saved. But ANY heart that is open to the gospel. Since the word of God is so important for regeneration, it is very important that there be constant exposure to the word of God. God's mercy is available to all men. Not all men will respond. Christ died for the world, NOT for some "elected" few.

The problem is you subscribe to the extreme Reformed faith which is Calvinism. The belief that God creates some people for heaven and creates the rest for hell without any hope whatsoever. Is that the kind of God you believe in? You say this is what election means and then you proceed to throw out some verses which you think support your claim, but this is not what election is.. This affects everything else such as regeneration and conversion. You say man has no free will whatsoever despite all the p***ages we have given you about God not wanting anyone to perish. For all to come to saving faith. We gave you the p***ages where it says one must have faith. One must believe. God does not regenerate any man who does not believe the gospel.

If scriptural teaching is what you call derailing your threads, then I am sorry you feel that way..

Billyray

It points to the inward change that occurs in those who are saved. (John 3:7, 1 Peter 1:23, ***us 3:5) Did you notice that? You have to be saved before God can give you a new heart.
    Conversion (repentance and faith)----->Salvation----->Regeneration

So you can be saved without being regenerated or born again. Agree?

Billyray

Regeneration is possible because of the work of the Holy Spirit and occurs by the implanting of the word of God in the receptive heart
    Wait a minute. You said regeneration takes place AFTER a person is saved not before. This seems to be a contradiction on your part.

Billyray

It does not say only the hearts of those people God had chosen from the foundation of the world to be saved.
    John 6
    36 But as I told you, you have seen me and still you do not believe. 37 All those the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away. 38 For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. 39 And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all those he has given me, but raise them up at the last day. 40 For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”

Here Jesus is speaking to a group that is following him, yet they do not believe. Jesus then tells then why they don't believe. Can you comment on these verses for me? (then we can move further down into Chapter 6)

ErikErik

Conversion = Faith and repentance = Salvation

Regeneration = awakens the person spiritually

When is a person saved?

So which comes first conversion or regeneration? You said above conversion is after regeneration. But that is what I believe so you could not possibly believe that.
    You said you were regenerated first, before you repented. Spiritual rebirth is the same as being born again and regenerated. We must have faith, believe and repent in order to be saved. Now if you believe you were regenerated before you had this faith and repented of your sins, then you weren't yet saved which means you were still dead in your sins. Still an unregenerate man. Regeneration does not happen before a person is saved. That person must first respond to the gospel, to the preaching of God's word. When we are saved, then God begins to work on our hearts.

What is the need for faith if you believe one is saved at the moment God regenerates a person prior to repenting?

The bottom line is that it doesn't really matter how one defines regeneration. But what does matter is that we must understand that man must choose to accept Christ God does not regenerate a person who's heart and mind is closed.

Billyray

The belief that God creates some people for heaven and creates the rest for hell without any hope whatsoever
    Erik do you believe that God knew exactly what you would do in life and where you will end up before he created the world?

ErikErik

Wait a minute. You said regeneration takes place AFTER a person is saved not before. This seems to be a contradiction on your part.
    No Billy I did not say that..Regeneration is the same thing as being born again.

ErikErik

So you can be saved without being regenerated or born again. Agree?
    No. Regeneration is spiritual rebirth.

Billyray

You said you were regenerated first, before you repented.
    Yes

Spiritual rebirth is the same as being born again and regenerated.
    Yes

We must have faith, believe and repent in order to be saved.
    Yes

Now if you believe you were regenerated before you had this faith and repented of your sins, then you weren't yet saved. . .
    Correct. Salvation occurs after conversion.

Regeneration does not happen before a person is saved.
    According to you.

What is the need for faith if you believe one is saved at the moment God regenerates a person prior to repenting?
    I don't believe that one is saved until conversion.

The bottom line is that it doesn't really matter how one defines regeneration.
    Then why this long post?

ErikErik

John 6
    36 But as I told you, you have seen me and still you do not believe. 37 All those the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away. 38 For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. 39 And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all those he has given me, but raise them up at the last day. 40 For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”

Here Jesus is speaking to a group that is following him, yet they do not believe. Jesus then tells then why they don't believe. Can you comment on these verses for me? (then we can move further down into Chapter 6)
    There you go again, trying to control the dialogue. You ignore every verse I give you, throw other verses at me and tell me to explain those verses and then you will take it from there. Sorry Billy, but if you aren't interested in the scriptures I share with you then its a waste of time.

Billyray

No. Regeneration is spiritual rebirth.
    Erik you didn't answer my question.

So you can be saved without being regenerated? Agree?

Billyray

There you go again, trying to control the dialogue.
    You told me that I am wrong. Give me a chance to show you why I believe the way I do.

John 6

Billyray

Sorry Billy, but if you aren't interested in the scriptures I share with you then its a waste of time.
    You say that I am not interested in scripture when I just gave you a scripture to look at and refuse to explain it? Is that fair Erik?

ErikErik

Yes

Yes

Yes

Correct. Salvation occurs after conversion.

According to you.

I don't believe that one is saved until conversion.

Then why this long post?
    You still don't get it Billy. Let's try it again. If you were regenerated BEFORE you had faith and repented of your sins, then you were NOT regenerated. You were still a lost sinner.No different from any non christian. If one can be regenerated before being born again, then what need is there for faith? Regeneration means the same thing as being spiritually born again. But you weren't born again yet when you claimed God regenerated you because you hadn't yet repented and expressed new faith. Do you see now what is wrong with what you said?

ErikErik

Erik you didn't answer my question.

So you can be saved without being regenerated? Agree?
    I already said no. Why don't you read my posts? I'll say it again: regeneration and spiritual rebirth/being saved are the same thing.

Billyray

John 3:7
    Lets look at John 3

5 Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit. 6 Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. 7 You should not be surprised at my saying, ‘You must be born again.’ 8 The wind ****s wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.”

How is one born again according to these verses? Does it say that the way to be born again or spiritually regenerated is to have faith and repent then just after this you will be born again? No it does not. If this were the case then Jesus could of clearly stated this. But what did he say? "‘You must be born again.’ 8 The wind ****s wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.”

This is where we differ. I believe this verse clearly teaches that a person is spiritually dead and can't even see Godly things because he is spiritually dead. Until God opens up our eyes via spiritual birth we will never make a choice for him. Once we are regenerated then we see clearly and make a choice for him via repentance and placing our faith in him at which point we are saved. You on the other hand believe that you were completely spiritually dead. You elected yourself. You mustered up the effort to repent. You conjured up your own faith resulting in you saving yourself this followed by regeneration.

Billyray

You still don't get it Billy.
    No I don't think you get it.

If you were regenerated BEFORE you had faith and repented of your sins, then you were NOT regenerated.
    No I was regenerated but not converted. If you must you can go back to the chart. It might help you.

You were still a lost sinner.
    I was regenerated but not converted. Salvation occurs after conversion.

If one can be regenerated before being born again, then what need is there for faith?
    Faith is required for salvation at the time of conversion.

Regeneration means the same thing as being spiritually born again.
    Right.

But you weren't born again yet when you claimed God regenerated
    Born again is regeneration.

Billyray

Are you saved by conversion or regeneration?