Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the requirements to be a Christian?

Billyray

Quote Originally Posted by TheSword99 View Post
    Bible says that "as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name." (John 1:12)
    John 1
    12But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
    13Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Don't forget verse 13 which tells who those were who received him in verse 12. Those who received him were NOT born of the will of the flesh and NOT born of the will of man, but of God. Yet you believe that by your own will you sought out God and by your own will you repented and by your own will you placed your faith in God.

alanmolstad

Quote Originally Posted by Billyray View Post

When is a person saved?
    a person is saved the moment after they believe that the truth that Jesus of the Bible was resurrected and thereby gave life to they who believe in this resurrection.

Faith in the resurrection of Jesus Christ ...
    Not faith in the resurrection of a false Christ that is taught in the world of the CULTS, but only the true Jesus as revealed in the Holy Bible.

Yes, there are other Jesus that are taught in other religions.
    Yes they use all the same words as what we Christians also use.
    But the effect of their words is to end up with a different christ, a different resurrection...and thereby a false hope

Billyray

So what is it that you have to do in order to be saved, in order to spend eternity with God in heaven?
    Be converted which is repentance and placing your faith in Christ.

alanmolstad

So will you officially go on record stating that ALL those who hold to the Reformed position are a cult and not true Christians?
    Why dont you start a non-Mormon topic on this question?

I think it would be nice to take the whole "reformed" issue to it's own setting where people could feel free to comment and not worry that they have totally strayed away from talking about a Mormon issue in the Mormon section

Billyray

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    Why dont you start a non-Mormon topic on this question?

I think it would be nice to take the whole "reformed" issue to it's own setting where people could feel free to comment and not worry that they have totally strayed away from talking about a Mormon issue in the Mormon section
    Alan this is carryover from a previous thread that I started which got deleted. For the record other than a brief reply to BigJ about regeneration this topic was never brought up, until of course Sword brought it up.

alanmolstad

Alan this is carryover from a previous thread.....
    Then it's rude, impolite, and totally out of place here.

There is no justification for the posts I see by pointing to the other guy and saying - "But he started it"

Simply and with much humility , ask Sword to join you in a free and open discussion of the issue in its own setting on this forum.

This shows respect for the way Jill has clearly let us all know she wants things to run on her site.
    We are just guests here.
    We sit at her table and should be thankful for the chance.

Take it outside...
    Doing different shows a lack of respect for her.

I would like to click on the "NEW POSTS" and see a new topic aimed at your and Sword/Erik's little issue very soon.....
    Last edited by alanmolstad; 05-29-2011 at 08:40 AM.

Billyray

Alan you are probably right, even though I am the one who started this thread. I was simply telling you why this thread got derailed.

There is no justification for the posts I see by pointing to the other guy and saying - "But he started it"

Simply and with much humility , ask Sword to join you in a free and open discussion of the issue in its own setting on this forum.

This shows respect for the way Jill has clearly let us all know she wants things to run on her site.
    We are just guests here.
    We sit at her table and should be thankful for the chance.

Take it outside...
    Doing different shows a lack of respect for her.
    Why should Jill have any rules? Doesn't she love us? Isn't believing she is a good person enough? Isn't she just creating a "road block" to a good discussion?
    I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon)--Luk 24:32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?

alanmolstad

Alan you are probably right, ....
    Go start a topic on the issue, state your case there in support of your views.
    ...I will drag Sword over there if I have to...LOL

Billyray

...I will drag Sword over there if I have to...LOL
    Erik and Sword do not think you are I are Christian and they feel it is their mission in life to correct us. All of the years on these boards I have not experienced this behavior from fellow Christians.

alanmolstad

Quote Originally Posted by BigJulie View Post
    Why should Jill have any rules?
    Actually, if you have noticed, she really only has one rule that keeps her the most busy...

#1 - stay on topic.

we all fail at this....(yes Im the most guilty too)
    We all know better.

But Billy and Sword are going on and on and their little conversation overwhelmed the one we all were having with you about the main issue of this topic got totally pushed under the rug.....

I cant even remember what I was saying.....
    as for as remembering what you were saying?...forget it, you are going to have to start all over...

I wrote a post today , this very morning, that was about as good as i can write,,,
    I got a lot of good questions about it, and things were going alone fine....

and then?.............

Actually, if you have noticed, she really only has one rule that keeps her the most busy...

#1 - stay on topic.

we all fail at this....(yes Im the most guilty too)
    We all know better.

But Billy and Sword are going on and on and their little conversation overwhelmed the one we all were having with you about the main issue of this topic got totally pushed under the rug.....

I cant even remember what I was saying.....
    as for as remembering what you were saying?...forget it, you are going to have to start all over...

I wrote a post today , this very morning, that was about as good as i can write,,,
    I got a lot of good questions about it, and things were going alone fine....

and then?.............
    We were discussing what it means to be a "Christian"--although, Billyray likes to put in in terms of "requirements."

Jill actually has a few more rules than that. I think it can be agreed, without a few rules or laws to go by, our universe, governments, etc. would be chaos.

I think this little back and forth argument (or the way in which they were going at it) was unChristian. What about you, do you agree? Or because they both believe in the resurrection of Jesus Christ, the way they treat each other is a mute point? Which do you believe?

And do you think that through their debates they can come up with the truth or does the truth lie with God and God alone and they need to turn to Him to know the truth as both have valid points via the scriptures?
    I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon)--Luk 24:32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?

Billyray

We were discussing what it means to be a "Christian"--although, Billyray likes to put in in terms of "requirements."
    Is it a requirement to have faith in Christ to be a Christian?

TheSword99

We are not saved just because we feel remorse at past sins...
    We are not saved because we repent of our sins and want to do better next time.
    For the whole world is filled with religions that teach about how deal with guilt and how to do better next time.

But we are free of sin's effect because we believe in the Resurrection of Jesus Christ.

That's it.
    That's enough.

This means that the whole rest of the bible except for the story of the Resurrection of Christ could be a lie, and it would not matter, we still would have a valid true faith and a valid way to seek salvation.

this means also the opposite, that if the story of the resurrection of Christ is a myth, then it does not matter that the whole rest of the bible is true or not. We would be without hope, and we still would die in our sins....
    Alan, are you saying that realizing we are lost sinners, repenting of our sins and believing in Christ's atonement and trusting in nothing else doesn't save a person?

Do you believe any parts of the bible is a lie?

Billyray--you need to work this out what you believe with Sword and Erik--I will continue my discussion with Alan.

alanmolstad

Im saying that as long as the story of the resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ is true, then it does not matter squat if the whole rest of the Bible is a lie.......

any questions on this?

Billyray

Billyray--you need to work this out what you believe with Sword and Erik--I will continue my discussion with Alan.
    Actually my question was for you, not Sword or Erik

Billyray

Do you believe John 6?

TheSword99

Erik and Sword do not think you are I are Christian and they feel it is their mission in life to correct us. All of the years on these boards I have not experienced this behavior from fellow Christians.
    Billy can you please refrain from personal accusations. It would be nice. I know its hard to be corrected from the Scriptures, but you have yet to give us the references that says the lost cannot come to Christ. Since regeneration is the same thing as being born again. we are dead in our sins until we come to the Cross on bended knee and humble ourselves and seek mercy and forgiveness. You cannot be born again before you are regenerate since they are one and the same thing. Belief in Christ must come first. Therefore when we come to Christ we come as unregenerate seeking the new birth.

Billyray

Billy can you please refrain from personal accusations. It would be nice.
    You are the one who called the Reformed position a cult. Remember?

Well, Alan, you three seem to be wrapped up in trying to decide what you believe it means to be "Christian"---so, I think I will let the three of you have at it. Suffice it to say, I still believe that it is our LOVE of God that makes a Christian and that can be seen as we FOLLOW the Spirit.

Have a nice day.

Billyray

I know its hard to be corrected from the Scriptures, but you have yet to give us the references that says the lost cannot come to Christ.
    Why didn't you respond to the verses in John 6?

Billyray

Since regeneration is the same thing as being born again.
    How many time are you going to repeat yourself. I agree that regeneration is born again.

Billyray

You cannot be born again before you are regenerate since they are one and the same thing.
    Define

1. Conversion

2. Regeneration/born again

alanmolstad

Alan, are you saying that realizing we are lost sinners, repenting of our sins and believing in Christ's atonement and trusting in nothing else doesn't save a person?
    sword, there are many ways to discribe the Christian idea of the lone importance of believeing in the resurrection.

perhaps your ways as listed above are just your means to discribe the very things Im talking about...i dont know, you decide that.

But I can speak about what i have writen this morning when i address this topics issue in connection to the Mormon Church.

In Mormonism I notice a LOT of things i disagree with...
    Lots of things.
    Tons of issues.
    a m***ive room for improvement in the Mormon church in my view.

and...yet, when I think about each issue, Im not convinced that proving them wrong in that area will make them "Christian"

So I asked myself this question:
    "What would make a person a Christian?"

The answer i came to was so simple,...and yet it carries a depth of meaning that can take a lifetime to understand fully.

The answer is "To believe in the resurrection of Jesus Christ"

Now Im not just saying that you believe in the dry historical fact that a dead Jesus came back to life, for Im sure even the demons know that has happened.

Rather to believe in the resurrection of Jesus means you believe in its work...you believe in its effect...you believe in its ability to change all you are to what god seeks you to be.

You believe in the resurrection of Jesus Christ
    Not the Jesus of the Mormon church (brother of Lucifer)
    Not the Jesus of the JWs ( the created angel aka Michael)
    Not the Jesus of Islam (Thats another issue trust me)
    But only the one and only Jesus Christ of the bible.

so that is the core of the Christian faith, to believe in the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Nothing else make us christian