Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425 LastLast

Thread: What are the requirements to be a Christian?

RealFakeHair

Default Perverted, is Joseph Smith jr. middle name

Quote Originally Posted by James Banta View Post
    The problem is the mormons will say, "We believe all that too so you have to agree that we are Christians". Still I exclude them, ALL Christian churches exclude them, Why? Because they have perverted the nature of God casting away the revelation of the true and living God and put the myths, the creations of Men in His place.. They don't have 1 God they have 3 (Joseph Smith, Sermon on Plurality of Gods, History of the Church, Vol. 6, p. 473).. They have deserted the invisible God (Col 1:15) for a God of flesh and bone (D&C 130:22).

Their problem isn't what they teach that Jesus did their problem is who Jesus is.. He is either the YHWH he said He is of he is a liar and a fraud.. That meaning that the Jesus of Mormonism is a fraud. This is seen in Him either becoming a god, or that only the Father is God.. Either way the mormon jesus is a fraud and that is why they are not Christian.. IHS jim
    It is correct to say, LDS are not Christian, as in New Testament terms. It is also correct tosay, LDS are not in any way related to Old Testament conception of (God Jehoviah.)
    LDS inc, is a religion unto itself, and at best may be described as a hybrid of Christianity.

James Banta

Yes as long as that hy-bread is with paganism.. IHS jim

alanmolstad

Quote Originally Posted by Fig-bearing Thistle View Post
    I don't believe Jesus' atonement is sufficient to absolve you of all personal responsibility.

Do you think God accepts filthy rags?
    The Bible tells us what it views as "filthy rags"...= ..."all our righteous acts"

In other words, "works"

People that put their trust in their own righteous acts and works as being able to count for something in their own salvation are going to have such things judged as "filthy rags"

We are saved only one way...By Grace though FAITH, not by works....

Valentinus

Quote Originally Posted by Billyray View Post
    People on this board throw around the term Christian verses non Christian. What exactly are the requirements to be a Christian?
    Rejecting the Athanasian Creed would be a good start.

Billyray

Quote Originally Posted by Valentinus View Post
    Rejecting the Athanasian Creed would be a good start.
    What exactly are the requirements to be a Christian?

RealFakeHair

I bet he'll tell you!

Valentinus

I would hope that faith in the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ would be the best place to start. However, adherence to man made creeds such as the Apostle's, Athanasian and Nicene need not apply. Those are human responses to what scripture says.

I'm honestly not even sure that the question concerning requirements is appropriate. I read Mark Driscoll's theological rag Doctrine and found it wanting. That's definitely not a good example of what makes a "real" Christian.

The differing theologies that have come about since the first century are fascinating. But for me, there is not a single branch of the Christian movement that is "better" or "more accurate" or "orthodox". Then again, orthodoxy is more of an opinion than a fact.

Billyray

I would hope that faith in the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ would be the best place to start. However, adherence to man made creeds such as the Apostle's, Athanasian and Nicene need not apply. Those are human responses to what scripture says.
    The only one who keeps bringing up creeds is you, most Christian posters on this board are comfortable with using the scriptures and not relying on a creed. BTW the issue with relying on the scriptures is that you don't believe the scriptures are the word of God and riddled with errors so how on earth can you determine what the requirements would be for being a Christian other than pulling an answer out of thin air.

Valentinus

The only one who keeps bringing up creeds is you, most Christian posters on this board are comfortable with using the scriptures and not relying on a creed. BTW the issue with relying on the scriptures is that you don't believe the scriptures are the word of God and riddled with errors so how on earth can you determine what the requirements would be for being a Christian other than pulling an answer out of thin air.
    Apologies. I need to leave the creeds alone. They aren't canon nor are they doctrine.

I'm not entirely sure that the scriptures point out exactly what a Christian is supposed to be. I think there are some great ideas and then there are some that I'm not sure.

But still, is the question really appropriate or reasonable?

Apologies. I need to leave the creeds alone. They aren't canon nor are they doctrine.

I'm not entirely sure that the scriptures point out exactly what a Christian is supposed to be. I think there are some great ideas and then there are some that I'm not sure.

But still, is the question really appropriate or reasonable?
    A Christian is someone regenerated by the Holy Spirit and cleansed in the Blood of Christ.
    Oath formerly taken by Mormons promising not to reveal secret Mormon temple rituals: "Should we do so, we agree to have our breasts cut open and our hearts and vitals torn from our bodies and given to the birds of the air and the beasts of the field."

Valentinus

Quote Originally Posted by Apologette View Post
    A Christian is someone regenerated by the Holy Spirit and cleansed in the Blood of Christ.
    You've described what a Christian is. You haven't answered what the requirements are to be a Christian. I still find the question to be problematic.

You've described what a Christian is. You haven't answered what the requirements are to be a Christian. I still find the question to be problematic.
    As a Calvinist I believe exactly what I said - God calls and elects us to salvation. He regenerates us and cleanses us in Christ's Blood. There is nothing I can do to be "qualified" to be a Christian.
    Oath formerly taken by Mormons promising not to reveal secret Mormon temple rituals: "Should we do so, we agree to have our breasts cut open and our hearts and vitals torn from our bodies and given to the birds of the air and the beasts of the field."

Valentinus

As a Calvinist I believe exactly what I said - God calls and elects us to salvation. He regenerates us and cleanses us in Christ's Blood. There is nothing I can do to be "qualified" to be a Christian.
    That's fine. But a non-Mormon proposed this question almost 2 years ago! Why would you ask such a question if there is really nothing that qualifies you as a Christian.

You last statement is a little odd to me considering that in Hebrew faith can be used as a verb. Just a thought.

That's fine. But a non-Mormon proposed this question almost 2 years ago! Why would you ask such a question if there is really nothing that qualifies you as a Christian.

You last statement is a little odd to me considering that in Hebrew faith can be used as a verb. Just a thought.
    I'm not a Hebrew. I didn't ask the question. I just gave the answer.

Valentinus

I'm not a Hebrew. I didn't ask the question. I just gave the answer.
    This is such an odd response. So you don't "do" faith? I do. Many of my non-Mormon Christian friends "do" faith.

This is such an odd response. So you don't "do" faith? I do. Many of my non-Mormon Christian friends "do" faith.
    No, in order to have faith, your dead spirit must be made alive. You are a corpse prior to regeneration. You can have no faith in Christ if you are a corpse. God must regenerate you before you can have faith in Christ. This is standard Reformed doctrine.

Valentinus

No, in order to have faith, your dead spirit must be made alive. You are a corpse prior to regeneration. You can have no faith in Christ if you are a corpse. God must regenerate you before you can have faith in Christ. This is standard Reformed doctrine.
    I'm definitely not Reformed and will never even bother with Calvinist theology. The Reformed position you propose isn't demonstrated in first century Christianity, IMO, of course.

ETA: One of my friends who "does" faith is also an Acts 29 guy. I guess Reformed vs Acts 29 Reformed differ in some ways.

I'm definitely not Reformed and will never even bother with Calvinist theology. The Reformed position you propose isn't demonstrated in first century Christianity, IMO, of course.

ETA: One of my friends who "does" faith is also an Acts 29 guy. I guess Reformed vs Acts 29 Reformed differ in some ways.
    Well, I disagree. But we are here to discuss Mormonism, not Calvinism.

Billyray

But a non-Mormon proposed this question almost 2 years ago! Why would you ask such a question if there is really nothing that qualifies you as a Christian.
    Both sides have labeled me a non Christian. I think that it is only fair that both sides give me (and others who might benefit) the requirements to be a Christian. This seems like a simple yet fair request. Don't you think?
    I am the one who brought this up a couple of years ago. I am currently a non-mormon but I was born and raised in the LDS church so I am familiar with LDS teachings. The reason that I started this thread was in response to both LDS and non LDS claiming that I was not Christian despite the fact that I profess faith in Christ and that he will save me from my sins. So I was trying to get at the bottom of what exactly was the basis for both sides labeling me as non Christian. BigJ made this claim multiple times and she is LDS. As best as I could tell from her responses I didn't do certain works that were consistent with being a Christian. She no longer posts on this forum so I won't be able to get any more clarification from her.

Valentinus

Well, I disagree. But we are here to discuss Mormonism, not Calvinism.
    You're the one that brought up Calvinism. You should have left that out all together.

Valentinus

I am the one who brought this up a couple of years ago. I am currently a non-mormon but I was born and raised in the LDS church so I am familiar with LDS teachings. The reason that I started this thread was in response to both LDS and non LDS claiming that I was not Christian despite the fact that I profess faith in Christ and that he will save me from my sins. So I was trying to get at the bottom of what exactly was the basis for both sides labeling me as non Christian. BigJ made this claim multiple times and she is LDS. As best as I could tell from her responses I didn't do certain works that were consistent with being a Christian. She no longer posts on this forum so I won't be able to get any more clarification from her.
    Okay. That makes more sense. Thanks for the background, Billyray.

alanmolstad

People on this board throw around the term Christian verses non Christian. What exactly are the requirements to be a Christian?
    To believe in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    To believe in who he is, what he did for you, and in his resurrection.

This is what makes us Christians.

James Banta

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post

In spite of what the LDS say about those of us that believe we are saved by grace though faith in Jesus we call Him our Lord.. Therefore we strive to put the flesh under the control of the spirit.. We strive to live in obedience to His commandments.. We also realize that we are truly obedient only through His works and accept His imputed righteousness as our own.. It isn't by anything we have done or can do that makes us His. We are made to be conformed to His image through God's unmerited favor.. Not because we deserve it but because God chose us.. Why? We will have to ask Him.. I for one am far from being deserving.. I think that may have something to do with it. Those with the most reason to to be forgiven often are called and those that have little to repent of often believe they can heal their own wounds. I know I need Jesus. Only in Him do I have any hope.. Complete reliance on Jesus is what makes us Christian.. IHS jim

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post

James 2:19-20
    19 You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe — and tremble!
    NKJV

Then do you believe that the demons are Christians? THEY TOO believe. . .

(No, I don't either. . .)

in Jesus,
    fish

alanmolstad

Knowing about someone , is vastly different than believing in someone.