Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the requirements to be a Christian?

Billyray

Quote Originally Posted by biblicalchristian View Post
    No, I would not disagree.
    Why is the Samaritan Christian?

Quote Originally Posted by Billyray View Post
    They were NEVER "chosen" as a group for salvation.
    But the point is, they thought they were, just as you do.

Why is the Samaritan Christian?
    Because he followed the Spirit that was given to him. He followed the teachings of Christ even if he never formally received them. That is the whole point of the parable--Christ teachings what it means to follow Him--I dont' think it was a mistake He chose a group who He knew specifically had not had the chance yet to hear of Him. The parable of the Good Samaritan makes the point that it is not how you (or the Pharisees) "define' what is good and right ("Christian) based on religion, but rather how Christ defines what is good and right (or following Him) based on behavior.

Billyray

Quote Originally Posted by BigJulie View Post
    Because he followed the Spirit that was given to him. He followed the teachings of Christ even if he never formally received them.
    Was he baptized?
    Did he get the gift of the Holy Ghost?
    Did he have faith in Christ?

BTW where does it say that he followed the Spirit?

Billyray

Because the Samaritan still followed the commandment of Christ.
    So an atheist can be a Christian as long as he follows a set of rules?

Billyray

BigJ

You do not have a list of requirements to be a Christian do you? You are just making it up on the fly.

So an atheist can be a Christian as long as he follows a set of rules?
    If an athiest has never had the opportunity to hear of God or Christ or His teachings and has never rejected the Spirit given to him, yet acts on what he believes is good and right, He is more of a Christian than those who hear the gospel and behave badly. That is the point of the parable of the Two Sons.

Billyray

An atheist is someone who deliberately denies that there is a God.
    An agnostic can be a Christian as long as he follows the rules. Agree?

An agnostic can be a Christian as long as he follows the rules. Agree?
    Once again, as long as he has never had the opportunity to hear of God or Christ. Once someone has had the gospel presented and willingly rejects it, they are like the man at the wedding refusing to wear the wedding garment. They will be cast out and there will be much weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Billyray---we know that Christ commanded the disciples to not go to Samaria---hence, we know they the Samaritans did not have a chance yet to hear the gospel of Jesus Christ. The Good Samaritan is a good example on someone acting on the spirit that was given to them--even if it was just "two talents" in comparison with the fullness of the gospel.

Billyray

Once again, as long as he has never had the opportunity to hear of God or Christ. Once someone has had the gospel presented and willingly rejects it, they are like the man at the wedding refusing to wear the wedding garment. They will be cast out and there will be much weeping and gnashing of teeth.
    Can a person be a Christian without having faith in Christ?

Once again, what is faith in Christ?

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Anyone who acts on the Spirit given to them has faith in Christ regardless of whether or not they have been formally taught of Christ. Those who have learned to follow this Spirit will accept the gospel when presented if they have not been scared away by "conspiring men" or the craftiness of Satan and ignore this Spirit which they know.

We see that God's love is given to all of His creations and that He will reward or punish based on what He gives--because He did not send His Son to condemn the world, but to save it.

Billyray

Once again, what is faith in Christ?

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

No--one must have faith in Jesus Christ, but not all have been taught this formally--some, like the Good Samaritan, have only been taught via the Spirit and follow that Spirit. Once again, that is the point of the whole parable--for the Pharisees to realize that their own definitions of right and wrong and good and bad are fruitless and it is God who teaches and God who defines.

This is why your thread of "what are the requirements to be Christian" is pointless--it starts with the wrong ***umption that you can know by "requirements" set by you.

Billyray

No--one must have faith in Jesus Christ
    So the Samaritan was not a Christian then correct?

Billyray

1. Faith in Christ
    2. Baptism
    3. Laying on of hand for the gift of the Holy Ghost
    4. Obeying the commandments

BigJ are these the requirements for being a Christian? Anything else?

So the Samaritan was not a Christian then correct?
    I think you must be ignoring all of my posts or not really reading them. Billyray---would Jesus Christ define the Good Samaritan as a follower of His commandments? Yes or no? Why did He use this example to the Pharisees?

1. Faith in Christ
    2. Baptism
    3. Laying on of hand for the gift of the Holy Ghost
    4. Obeying the commandments

BigJ are these the requirements for being a Christian? Anything else?
    I am convinced you are having a conversation with yourself. You only hear what you want to hear and only see what you want to see. I cannot help you. I think if you find a good mirror, you can have this same conversation and be proud of the points you make.

Billyray

Billyray---would Jesus Christ define the Good Samaritan as a follower of His commandments? Yes or no? Why did He use this example to the Pharisees?
    BigJ the Samaritan did not have faith in Christ so by your own definition he is not a Christian unless of course you want to change your requirements.

Please give me a list of requirements. If you don't have one just tell me so.

BigJ the Samaritan did not have faith in Christ so by your own definition he is not a Christian unless of course you want to change your requirements.

Please give me a list of requirements. If you don't have one just tell me so.
    The Good Samaritan, by definition, had faith in Christ--or he would have not displayed the goodness that he did. (Or where do you think his goodness came from?)

Billyray

I am convinced you are having a conversation with yourself.
    I agree because you are not listening and you are being very wishy washy in your answers.

My definition of a Christian is one who is regenerated and has faith in the Christ of the Bible. Now your turn what are the requirements to be a Christian? This is a simple question BigJ.

I agree because you are not listening and you are being very washy washy in your answers.

My definition of a Christian is one who is regenerated and has faith in the Christ of the Bible. Now your turn what are the requirements to be a Christian? This is a simple question BigJ.
    I will ask you again, where did the goodness come from that the Good Samaritan displayed?

Billyray

I will ask you again, where did the goodness come from that the Good Samaritan displayed?
    The same place that goodness comes from when a atheist does good things but that does not make an atheist a Christian.

Now are you ever going to answer my question or are you just going to give me the run around?

The same place that goodness comes when a atheist does good things but that does not make an atheist a Christian.

Now are you ever going to answer my question or are you just going to give me the run around?
    And I will tell you one more time the parable of the Two Sons:

Matthew 21: 28-31 But what think ye? A [certain] man had two sons; and he came to the first, and said, Son, go work to day in my vineyard. He answered and said, I will not: but afterward he repented, and went. And he came to the second, and said likewise. And he answered and said, I [go], sir: and went not. Whether of them twain did the will of [his] father? They say unto him, The first. Jesus saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That the publicans and the harlots go into the kingdom of God before you.

In other words, an athiest who does good things displays more faith in Christ than those who profess faith in Christ, but do not.

Billyray

In other words, an athiest who does good things displays more faith in Christ than those who profess faith in Christ, but do not.
    Now that is the quote of the week. I think I will use that for my signature line.

Now that is the quote of the week. I think I will use that for my signature line.
    I think you could use this line as well: "Whether of them twain did the will of [his] father? They say unto him, The first. Jesus saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That the publicans and the harlots go into the kingdom of God before you."--because it Christ saying the same thing.