Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the requirements to be a Christian?

Billyray

Quote Originally Posted by biblicalchristian View Post
    . Our beliefs are consistent with the Bible . . .
    Nope they most certainly not. I was Mormon so don't try and buffalo me.

akaSeerone

I'm not the one with the problem. You and Sword disagree so you two are with the problem. Our beliefs are consistent with the Bible while you and Sword can't decide what to believe.
    Strange you would say that....Mormonism teaches that Jesus and Satan are brothers, yet the Bible tells us that Jesus created Satan, so your beliefs are not consistent with the Bible and this is just one of a plethora of Mormonism's inconsistencies with the Bible.

Andy

Billyray

Yea, they do.
    Do you believe that God is married?

Do you believe that God the Father became a God?

Do you believe that God the Father was once a man?

Do you believe in polytheism?

Do you believe that the NT members held the Melchizekek priesthood?

I could go on but you get my point.

I'm not the one with the problem. You and Sword disagree so you two are with the problem. Our beliefs are consistent with the Bible while you and Sword can't decide what to believe.
    BibleChristian, I agree with you and agree that our beliefs are consistent with the Bible.

I am curious if Billyray's description of a "Christian" or the Swords or even Alan's would include Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, David, Moses, Joshua, etc. as "Christians"? Maybe my definiiton is too broad for them---someone who follows the Spirit. I mean, as Moses wrote the first five books of the Bible--there would be no "Bible" to agree or disagree about for most of these men.
    I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon)--Luk 24:32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?

Quote Originally Posted by akaSeerone View Post
    Strange you would say that....Mormonism teaches that Jesus and Satan are brothers, yet the Bible tells us that Jesus created Satan, so your beliefs are not consistent with the Bible and this is just one of a plethora of Mormonism's inconsistencies with the Bible.

Andy
    No, it is consistent with Bible teachings. God does a lot of teaching by symbollism. Why do you think the story of Cain and Abel is included in the Bible as important? Why was Abel's sacrifice accepted and why was Cain's not? Why did Cain kill Abel? It is there Andy.
    I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon)--Luk 24:32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?

Billyray

Quote Originally Posted by BigJulie View Post
    BibleChristian, I agree with you and agree that our beliefs are consistent with the Bible.
    BigJ proclaims it therefore it is.

BigJ how do you become born again?

Quote Originally Posted by Billyray View Post
    BigJ proclaims it therefore it is.

BigJ how do you become born again?
    Why ask me when you have yet to work this out with your "Christian" friends? (Especially in light of the ***le of this thread and it is your definition that one must be born again to be Christian--not mine.)

Billyray

Billyray
    Do you believe that God is married?

biblicalchristian
    No. This was Orson Hyde's personal belief.
    Really? So you don't believe that you have a mother in heaven?

Really? So you don't believe that you have a mother in heaven?
    Oh, we have gone in circles about this so many times. We have discussion, and we have logical reasoning, but we have no revelation regarding this.

Billyray, I thought you started this thread to talk about "requirements to be a Christian". What happened? Why the divergence?

Billyray

Billyray
    Do you believe that God the Father became a God?

Biblicalchristian
    Early Christianity certainly taught this.
    So I take that as a yes. Do you have any support from the scripture that God was once a man?

(BTW I don't take my theology from extra Biblical sources even though these sources can be useful and edifying)

Billyray

Oh, we have gone in circles about this so many times.
    Oh. I see a division between you and biblicalchristian. One of you is right and the other is wrong. This must mean the Mormonism is false.

If you put people like Abraham in their days then they were part of Judaism but if they were alive today then yea since they were men of God.
    So, I guess for me---I understand "Christian" on a broader term--those who follow the Spirit and they can be anywhere or anytime on this earth and anywhere in their path to understanding God in His fullness. Yes, that is a very broad description, but it keeps me from not judging others by anything but their "Christlike" behavior. For myself, I can see when I am being "Christian" or not based on the spirit that I follow, and this helps me know when I need to repent.

Oh. I see a division between you and biblicalchristian. One of you is right and the other is wrong. This must mean the Mormonism is false.
    No, I think we are on the same page with this. Sorry. I don't see a disagreement.

Billyray

Why ask me when you have yet to work this out with your "Christian" friends?
    Because we agree with other that regeneration is an act of God causing spiritual life in someone who before that was spiritually dead. You disagree I presume. And I want to know what you believe. I certainly have told you what I believe so it is only fair to tell me what you believe.

How does a person become born again?

Billyray

What division? I agree with Julie that you keep going over and over the same stuff.
    You don't believe that there is a Mother in heaven. But I bet BigJ is smart enough to know that there is according to Mormonism. Thus you disagree with each other. Ask her and she what she says.

James Banta

The ruler will come out of Judah, but the birthright belongs to Ephraim. The Northern tribe has been "lost", but it will not stay that way. Each tribe will be gathered in again and Christ will sit as their King. These are the prophecies of the last days.

Isa 11:13 The envy also of Ephraim shall depart, and the adversaries of Judah shall be cut off: Ephraim shall not envy Judah, and Judah shall not vex Ephraim.

Also, Jeruselum was the only place for the temple of the Old Testament, but in the last days, God has restored His gospel and it no longer is subject to only those in Jeruselum.

Isa 2:2 And it shall come to p*** in the last days, [that] the mountain of the LORD'S house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it.

Isa 2:3 And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem.
    Great references too bad they don't support your points.. Isaiah 11:13 doesn't say that the birthright (what ever you want to call the birthright) was given to Ephraim over the other tribes of Israel.. All this p***age says is that Judah and Ephraim (Joseph) will no longer be enemies but will live together in peace.. Where is a birthright in that?

Zion is the name David gave to His strong hold. It is the old city that area of Jerusalem around the Temple. Temple mount is the mountain of the Lords' house..Out of Zion the Capital of the nation will come the Law and the word of the Lord from His Temple.. Not one word that there will be any more than ONE place that God will establish a house for Himself.. Jerusalem is the Only site that a Temple was ever commanded to be built.. All other places are false sites. There never was any more than ONE Temple. To establish other is to commit the same sin as Jeroboam when he made Israel sin.. You lack of knowledge of these things is showing up like crystal.. All you know is what false teaches have told you.. You use these references like they mean two different places it is clear that Zion is the mountain of the Lord's house and it is in Jerusalem.. IHS jim

Billyray

That's odd. I thought it was up to the critics to tell us what we believe.
    BigJ doesn't seem to want to answer so maybe you can take a stab at it.

How do you become born again?

Because we agree with other that regeneration is an act of God causing spiritual life in someone who before that was spiritually dead. You disagree I presume. And I want to know what you believe. I certainly have told you what I believe so it is only fair to tell me what you believe.

How does a person become born again?
    To me born again refers to baptism--when one has been washed clean and given the gift of the Holy Ghost. This occurs when they are taught the gospel and seek for themselves to know the truthfullness of it. Once they have a witness from the Holy Ghost, then they keep the commandment to "repent and be baptized"--once again by choice. Once baptized, they are now "clean" and are prepared to receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost. This gift starts the "regeneration" process as you call it or the perfecting process. Those who continue on this path are santified.

Do you agree BibleChristian?

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by James Banta View Post
    Great references too bad they don't support your points.. Isaiah 11:13 doesn't say that the birthright (what ever you want to call the birthright) was given to Ephraim over the other tribes of Israel..
    Go back to Jacob and see who he gave the birthright to and how (and who got the doubleportion, etc.)

You don't believe that there is a Mother in heaven. But I bet BigJ is smart enough to know that there is according to Mormonism. Thus you disagree with each other. Ask her and she what she says.
    I agree with BibleChristian---we have no revelation concerning a Mother in Heaven. That seems simple enough.

Billyray

To me born again refers to baptism--when one has been washed clean and given the gift of the Holy Ghost. This occurs when they are taught the gospel and seek for themselves to know the truthfullness of it. Once they have a witness from the Holy Ghost, then they keep the commandment to "repent and be baptized"--once again by choice. Once baptized, they are now "clean" and are prepared to receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost. This gift starts the "regeneration" process as you call it or the perfecting process. Those who continue on this path are santified.
    1. Taught the gospel
    2. Keep the commandments
    3. Repentance to a priesthood authority
    4. Baptism
    5. Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost
    6. Keep the commandments
    7. This STARTS the regeneration process.

Since you said the above steps STARTS the regeneration process this means that at this point a person is not entirely born again. When is a person fully born again or regenerated?

Do you define a Christian as someone who has done the above 6 steps?

Billyray

I agree with BibleChristian---we have no revelation concerning a Mother in Heaven. That seems simple enough.
    Did I get this right that both of you deny a Mother in Heaven?

Billyray

Being born again and being a Christian are 2 different things. Being born again is when you become a Christian.
    When do you become born again and how do you become born again?

James Banta

[QUOTE=BigJulie;89205]
    Go back to Jacob and see who he gave the birthright to and how (and who got the doubleportion, etc.)
    You are making a claim here so you show me the birthright claim you are trying to make.. IHS jim

Billyray

Billyray
    Do you believe in polytheism?

biblicalchristian
    No. We're monotheistic. . . .
    Do you believe that God the Father is a God?
    Do you believe that God the Son is a God?
    Do you believe that God the Holy Spirit is a God?
    Do you believe that God the Father had a God?