Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mormon Egyptologist Debunks the "Book of Abraham"

RealFakeHair

Quote Originally Posted by Erundur View Post
    I don't think I told you the first time. But you're changing the subject. Here's your chance to back up onceblind's ***ertions.
    I think the LDSinc. Got all their ideas on how to defend their faith from Sears and Roebuck invention of the (bait-switch).
    Once again tell me just how Joseph Smith jr Was able to take the Egyptian Book of the Dead and turn it into the LDSinc. Book of Abraham? quite a trick aint it?

Quote Originally Posted by RealFakeHair View Post
    I think the LDSinc. Got all their ideas on how to defend their faith from Sears and Roebuck invention of the (bait-switch).
    That's nice. But I take it you can't back up onceblind's ***ertions, then?

RealFakeHair

I don't think I told you the first time. But you're changing the subject. Here's your chance to back up onceblind's ***ertions.
    Oh, I apologize, did (onceblind) mention the Book of Abraham?

Oh, I apologize, did (onceblind) mention the Book of Abraham?
    Nope, he didn't.

RealFakeHair

Nope, he didn't.
    Then I don't understand why I should back up his or her ***ertions?

Then I don't understand why I should back up his or her ***ertions?
    Okay, then don't and I will continue to reject them.

RealFakeHair

Okay, then don't and I will continue to reject them.
    Reject what? common sense!

jdjhere

Actually BrianH started this thread and it IS about Joseph Smiths Translation of the Book of Abraham so actually RealFakeHair was getting us BACK on subject so lets stay with it. I would love to see an answer to post #1 in this thread?

dberrie2000

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    Mormons ...please explain why we should think that your so-called “prophet” really did translate the “Book of Abraham” correctly when, in fact, literally every single qualified Egyptologist who has ever examined the language and images from which the BoA was translated –supposedly by miraculous, divinely inspired means- has concluded that Joe Smith had no idea what he was talking about and that the original papyrus was nothing more than just another example of the normative funeral documents uniquely ***ociated with the pagan religion and mythology of 1st century Egypt.
    Since we have only about 15% of the original papyri extant today--then how would one come to that conclusion?

In fact, even all LDS experts (including BOTH Mormon Egyptologists – Dr. Thompson and Dr. Gee) have failed to substantiate the BoA translation
    If one is referring to the Book of Abraham text--there is nothing extant today to compare that translation to. There is certainly no connection between the extant papyri and the Book of Abraham text. One would have to examine the missing 85% of the papyri to come to any conclusion the Book of Abraham text did not have any roots in the missing papyri.