Quote Originally Posted by theway View Post
James you really need to read the scriptures first before you comment on them. The verses you cut and paste from antiMormon sites do not qualify as having read the scriptures. Had you of actually read the verses that precede the ones you posted you would see that God was speaking about a Prophet chosen by God.

18 I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him.
19 And it shall come to p***, that whosoever will not hearken unto my words which he shall speak in my name, oI will require it of him.
20 But the prophet, which shall presume to speak a word in my name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or that shall speak in the name of other gods, even that prophet shall die.

Like I said, this is speaking of a Prophet chosen by God, there was no such thing as a false prophet. if they tell lies then they can may be a lier or fallen Prophet. The punishment of death was given to those that lead the population to follow other Gods; not for lying.

STOP trying to force this p***age to say things it doesn't say.. Yes the whole chapter is about prophets. Men that God would bring to the people to give them His word.. The p***age I quoted is the way to identify the true prophets God sends us from the liars that seek the honors of men by being God's spokesman.. Smith failed that test again and again.. You must read the whole chapter yourself and then take to heart the test God gave us so we can identify a lying man from a prophet of God.. Without being able to identify who is a real prophet from who is the liar we could be lead to follow men like Jim Jones or David Koresh.. This simple text in Deut 18:20-22 is a great gift from God.. Why do you refuse to use it? IHS jim