Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Experiencing God Within

Libby

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    Eh?

Umm...so I take it you smoked a lot of gr*** back at school right?.....I thought so
    Not that much. lol

Makes perfect sense to me.

Libby

O Father, with folded hands I come to offer thee my whole being. I saturate my prayers with deep love. Give me toward Thee the simple, sincere, devotion of a child.

PY

Libby

“Making others happy, through kindness of speech and sincerity of right advice, is a sign of true greatness. To hurt another soul by sarcastic words, looks, or suggestions, is despicable.”

― Paramahansa Yogananda, Where There Is Light

Libby

What is meditation? Becoming one with the soul. It means banishing the consciousness of being related to the body and to human limitations, and trying to remember that one is a soul.

Meditation is the science of reuniting the soul with Spirit. The soul, descending from God into flesh, manifests its consciousness and life force through seven chakras, or centres of light, in man's cerebrospinal axis."

God has not to be earned. He has only to be sought. Meditation is the only way. Beliefs, reading books — these cannot give you realization. ... Meditation brings proof of the existence of God. ... The more you meditate the more you will feel the endless joy of God.

-Paramahansa Yogananda

Libby

Self Realization Fellowship Meditation Gardens, Encinitas, CA

This is close to my home. I love going here.

These videos shows more of the grounds.

http://youtu.be/zQVHv7POhKg

http://youtu.be/2hABk3EWHdY
    Last edited by Libby; 03-06-2012 at 11:33 PM.

Libby

Lake Shrine, Pacific Palisades, CA - Another beautiful SRF Meditation Center

Been here many times. Beautiful setting. There is a shrine dedicated to Gandhi, on this site, which holds some of his ashes.

Libby

"The true state of meditation is oneness of the meditator with the object of meditation, God." -PY

Libby

Thought I would share this here.

Evidence Builds That Meditation Strengthens the Brain

Earlier evidence out of UCLA suggested that meditating for years thickens the brain (in a good way) and strengthens the connections between brain cells. Now a further report by UCLA researchers suggests yet another benefit.

Eileen Luders, an ***istant professor at the UCLA Laboratory of Neuro Imaging, and colleagues, have found that long-term meditators have larger amounts of gyrification ("folding" of the cortex, which may allow the brain to process information faster) than people who do not meditate. Further, a direct correlation was found between the amount of gyrification and the number of meditation years, possibly providing further proof of the brain's neuroplasticity, or ability to adapt to environmental changes.
    There is much more at the link. It seems meditation improves memory, concentration, processing information and much more.

The cerebral cortex is the outermost layer of neural tissue. Among other functions, it plays a key role in memory, attention, thought and consciousness. Gyrification or cortical folding is the process by which the surface of the brain undergoes changes to create narrow furrows and folds called sulci and gyri. Their formation may promote and enhance neural processing. Presumably then, the more folding that occurs, the better the brain is at processing information, making decisions, forming memories and so forth.
    Interesting stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    It wouldn't be instigated by the Holy Man.

The point of that quote (IMHO) is that the core truth of every religion is the same (in perfect harmony).

I believe that core truth is unity in love for God and all things.

(Appreciate your comment, Alan...thank you)
    Oh, please, you really need to research Indian Hindu sadhus. They get into all kinds of altercations with those of other Sadhu traditions - throw rocks at each other. You are greatly deceived.

Libby

Well, we are all deceived, in a sense.

None-the-less, true God-realized beings would all agree, at the core.

Libby

"The Kingdom of God is Within You" Luke 17:21

I'm going to put some quotes here, from SRF, to try and explain and clarify the belief about finding God "within". Yogananda did not teach that we would "become gods", but rather that we will find God within, through prayer and meditation...and with real devotion, have an actual awareness, realization, and connection with God.

“Forget your dream-born mortal weakness. Wake up
    and know that you and God are one.”

— Paramahansa Yogananda

Libby

Here is a portion of a poem, by Yogananda, that describes the relationship between man and God.

"I [God] exist without the cosmic shadow,
    But it could not live bereft of me;
    As the sea exists without the waves,
    But they breathe not without the sea."

Libby

"God is not merely a name. God is the life that is surging within us; the Life by which we see and love one another."

"The way to God is not through the intellect, but through intuition. Spirituality is measured by what you experience intuitively, from the communion of your soul with God. It is so simple if inside you are always talking to Him, ‘Lord, come to me!’"

"One scriptural description of the Infinite is that He is Sat-Chit-Ananda — ever-existing, ever-conscious, ever-new Bliss. Ever-existing means that He is eternal; ever-conscious means He is always conscious of His eternal existence; and ever-new Bliss means that He is a joy that never grows stale. Every human being is seeking that kind of experience. (Sanskrit term for God is Sat-Chit-Ananda — eternal Being or Truth (Sat), infinite consciousness (Chit), and ever new Bliss (Ananda).)"

What "god" are you inviting into you?

Libby

The God who Created this universe and all that is.

I am not "inviting him in". He is already there.

The God who Created this universe and all that is.

I am not "inviting him in". He is already there.
    "But as many who received Him (Christ)"............you must receive Him by an act of faith. You are not Him. Why have you left Jesus, Libby, exchanging Him for pantheistic gobbledegook? This stuff you're posting comes right out of the sixties communes!
    Oath formerly taken by Mormons promising not to reveal secret Mormon temple rituals: "Should we do so, we agree to have our breasts cut open and our hearts and vitals torn from our bodies and given to the birds of the air and the beasts of the field."

Libby

Actually, "this stuff" is many centuries older than even Christianity.

Libby

In waking, eating, working, dreaming, sleeping,
    Serving, meditating, chanting, divinely loving,
    My soul constantly hums, unheard by any;
    God, God, God!

PY

Libby

"The joy of God is boundless, unceasing, all the time new. Body, mind, nothing can disturb you when you are in that consciousness — such is the grace and glory of the Lord. And He will explain to you whatever you haven’t been able to understand; everything you want to know."

PY

Libby

"As the mind and the feeling are directed inward, you begin to feel God’s joy. The pleasures of the senses do not last; but the joy of God is everlasting."

PY

Actually, "this stuff" is many centuries older than even Christianity.
    Bologna. In any case, when Yogananda or any of the other "gurus" rise from the dead, then you can put your faith in them. As of now, Jesus Christ, alone has overcome death. And, unless we "live in Him," death has dominion over us - which is why we must be born-again.
    Oath formerly taken by Mormons promising not to reveal secret Mormon temple rituals: "Should we do so, we agree to have our breasts cut open and our hearts and vitals torn from our bodies and given to the birds of the air and the beasts of the field."

Libby

I don't put my "faith" in Yogananda, nor would he want me to. My faith is in God.

In waking, eating, working, dreaming, sleeping,
    Serving, meditating, chanting, divinely loving,
    My soul constantly hums, unheard by any;
    God, God, God!

PY
    Last edited by Libby; 04-10-2012 at 10:07 PM.

Libby

God has not to be earned. He has only to be sought. Meditation is the only way. Beliefs, reading books — these cannot give you realization. ... Meditation brings proof of the existence of God. ... The more you meditate the more you will feel the endless joy of God.

PY

Libby

“Blessed are the peacemakers,” Jesus said in his Sermon on the Mount, “for they shall be called the children of God.” Paramahansaji in his commentary on this verse in The Second Coming of Christ gives us a greater understanding of what these words mean: “They are the real peacemakers who generate peace from their devotional practice of daily meditation. Peace is the first manifestation of God’s response in meditation. Those who know God as Peace in the inner temple of silence, and who worship that Peace-God therein, are by this relationship of divine communion His true children.” - Brother Achalananda, V.P. SRF