Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: If Mitt leads the ticket?

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    This was a very good move, Alan. If it had been the social security program, the right would be jumping up and down for joy.

Go Here
    Libby, I am personally related to someone who is involved in commercial rocketry (not my brother) and it still has a long way to go. In the meantime, we have spent millions of dollars on a space-station that our only access to will be through other countries.

While it sounds like a wise move, what it really is is a move from government back innovation and research money to en***lement programs. While you say that the right would jump up and down if social security was cut--I don't think anyone in politics at all is under the delusion that without some changes, Social Security is doomed. That is coming from the right and the left. I for one, have accepted that I cannot retire at 65 like my parents before me and that rising medical costs are going to keep me from accessing the same health care system that my parents have. That is the cold hard facts. Anyone who wants to hang on to the status quo is hanging on to a sinking ship. I keep wondering who the politician will be that will face that bear and do what painfully needs to be done. Raise the retirement age, cut the benefits---something will have to happen or the system will be bankrupt---let alone the federal government has been dipping into the trust for so many years, that the money that should be there is not.
    I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon)--Luk 24:32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?

Libby

Quote Originally Posted by BigJulie View Post
    Libby, I am personally related to someone who is involved in commercial rocketry (not my brother) and it still has a long way to go. In the meantime, we have spent millions of dollars on a space-station that our only access to will be through other countries.

While it sounds like a wise move, what it really is is a move from government back innovation and research money to en***lement programs. While you say that the right would jump up and down if social security was cut--I don't think anyone in politics at all is under the delusion that without some changes, Social Security is doomed. That is coming from the right and the left. I for one, have accepted that I cannot retire at 65 like my parents before me and that rising medical costs are going to keep me from accessing the same health care system that my parents have. That is the cold hard facts. Anyone who wants to hang on to the status quo is hanging on to a sinking ship. I keep wondering who the politician will be that will face that bear and do what painfully needs to be done. Raise the retirement age, cut the benefits---something will have to happen or the system will be bankrupt---let alone the federal government has been dipping into the trust for so many years, that the money that should be there is not.
    I haven't seen anyone on the left say that SS needs to be cut. It's actually quite solvent, right now. It's one of the best programs our gov't has ever supported and I hope it continues. Changes to retirement age have already been made. My generation, for example, has to be 66 to retire with full benefits, and future generations will have a higher age, most likely. That is needed, because people are living much longer, today, than they did in the past, and that will, likely, continue to go up, as medical advances are made.

As for health care, we need a gov't health care plan that includes a single payer benefit!!! That is not going to be a luxury, in the next few years, but a necessity!

I haven't seen anyone on the left say that SS needs to be cut. It's actually quite solvent, right now. It's one of the best programs our gov't has ever supported and I hope it continues. Changes to retirement age have already been made. My generation, for example, has to be 66 to retire with full benefits, and future generations will have a higher age, most likely. That is needed, because people are living much longer, today, than they did in the past, and that will, likely, continue to go up, as medical advances are made.

As for health care, we need a gov't health care plan that includes a single payer benefit!!! That is not going to be a luxury, in the next few years, but a necessity!
    Libby, I have not seen an Act that changes the S.S. retirement age. Can you send me the link to it?

In 2009/2010 (approx.) the White House put together a bi-partisan committee to figure out ways to help the federal budget crisis (which once again, both sides do not dispute.)

Here is a couple of paragraphs from that report. If you look at it, you will see that it is from the White House.

Unless we act, these immense demographic changes will bring the Social Security program to its knees. Without action, the benefits currently pledged under Social Security are a promise we cannot keep. Today, the program is spending more on beneficiaries than it is collecting in revenue. Although the system’s revenues and expenditures are expected to return to balance temporarily in 2012, it will begin running deficits again in 2015 if interest from the trust fund is excluded and in 2025 including interest payments. After that point, the system’s trust fund will be drawn down until it is fully exhausted in 2037.

Unfortunately, the default plan in Washington is to do nothing. The do-nothing plan would lead to an immediate 22 percent across-the-board benefit cut for all current and future beneficiaries in 2037. Over the next 75 years, the program faces a shortfall equal to 1.92 percent of taxable payroll. Seventy-five years from now, that gap will increase to 4.12 percent of payroll. http://www.fiscalcommission.gov/site...h12_1_2010.pdf
    Interestinly, Obama has deep-sixed these recommendations and currently is bowing down to the AARP and stating that the new "Super Committee" recently is not to touch S.S.

I don't believe I have yet seen anything on the table to change the Society Security retirement age. If it has p***ed, please show me the bill. I would be interested in seeing it. Thanks.
    I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon)--Luk 24:32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?

alanmolstad

from the numbers i have read about...when SS was set up you had about 147 people working full-time ***s for every person getting SS payments....

Today we have about 1.7 people working at full-time ***s to support that same person who collects SS payments.

Clearly that situation is doomed, and that there is no way in the world 1.7 workers can pay in enough SS withholding to cover the one person receiving.
    Last edited by alanmolstad; 10-28-2011 at 04:53 AM.

alanmolstad

I once watched a TV comercial where a young black child was sitting with his grand parents doing his school home work,,,then I learn during the ad that the child's parents were killed in an accident, but thanks to SS payments, the child has enough money to go to school and pay for his education.

As I listened I kept think that this seems to be getting way outside the 'retirement" plan that was sold to us....

I was a bit upset to learn that my SS withholding was being sucked away to pay for this kid's whole life and future education.

Hey, I fell sorry for the kid, but I also want to protect SS from being used as the great Cash Cow that gets used to pay for fixing every problem in the world.

If the state wants to set up a fund to help orphans?..fine, set it up as such,
    But you should not be dipping into my retirement funds to pay for such things that are not connected in any way, shape of form to my retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    I once watched a TV comercial where a young black child was sitting with his grand parents doing his school home work,,,then I learn during the ad that the child's parents were killed in an accident, but thanks to SS payments, the child has enough money to go to school and pay for his education.

As I listened I kept think that this seems to be getting way outside the 'retirement" plan that was sold to us....

I was a bit upset to learn that my SS withholding was being sucked away to pay for this kid's whole life and future education.

Hey, I fell sorry for the kid, but I also want to protect SS from being used as the great Cash Cow that gets used to pay for fixing every problem in the world.

If the state wants to set up a fund to help orphans?..fine, set it up as such,
    But you should not be dipping into my retirement funds to pay for such things that are not connected in any way, shape of form to my retirement.
    Well, it looks like Cain is leading the ticket (back to the original subject). I know you like him. This worries me because his 9-9-9 plan will be slaughtered. This will mean we have a losing ticket against Obama. This just makes me sick. So many other candidates would have had a better chance against Obama. Cain will go down because people will be afraid of a federal sales tax and a regressive tax. It is a deadly combination and I know I could never vote for it.

alanmolstad

Quote Originally Posted by BigJulie View Post
    Well, it looks like Cain is leading the ticket (back to the original subject). I know you like him. .
    ..Yes, of all the guys running I like him the most,

Hands down.

I actually could not care less about all the other people in the race.

If I got a chance to vote in a primary (I live in ND so we tend to get overlooked up here) I would vote for Cain over everyone else.

Cain is the only guy I think has anything near my views, and my way of thinking.

Now don't get me wrong, I will vote for anyone over Obama.

But if I had my chance to support Cain in a primary I would.

Libby

Alan, I was wondering what you think of Cain, now? The personal stuff about him must have been a huge disappointment...

alanmolstad

Alan, I was wondering what you think of Cain, now? The personal stuff about him must have been a huge disappointment...
    My views.....

Cain made this election a lot more fun.

Almost every time Cain spoke you could count on a song, or a Bible verse, or a quote picked up and played on YouTube.

so with Cain there was a lot to like in him ...''as a fun person to have at the party"

But from the start I put Cain into the same box as Ross Perot and Alan Keys...
    They are nice enough guys, but they tried to run for the White House before we knew how well they could handle a *** like this.

I wish such men would run for a State Governor or for Congress first, so we can see how they take to the *** in Washington.

Now, as for Cain's marriage problems and the other women?...I dont care about that stuff.

I am not voting for "Husband of the year"

Im voting for a guy i want to be president....I dont care what faith he is, or who he sleeps with...I dont want to get in to the personal stuff....

i think we all have a right to our personal privacy in such matters.

BUT......BUT......BUT...
    But what kind of fool is so busy for years cheating on his wife, and then decided to run for the White House?

it strikes me as about the most foolish thing for a cheating man to do...

it is so foolish, that it sorta strikes me also as a way he could "tell the wife' and confess his cheating, without having to say it first.

getting CNN to tell his wife might have seemed at the time, to be an easy way out...

So there is a type of "Self Destruct" mentality to that moment cain decided to run for President.

He HAD to know that word of his girlfriend would get out.

He HAD to know this would happen just as it happened....

I mean really....the men that never want their wives to find out about a girlfriend, keep their names out of the news as best they can.
    You lead a low-profile life when you are in the middle of cheating on your wife....

Running for president?
    thats not the smartest move.....

Libby

Yeah, I hear ya. I kind of feel the same way about Newt Gingrich. Surely, he must know, his past is going to be a big detriment in his run for the White House....and detrimental to him and his party. So, why would he even put himself in that position. He really needs to retire from politics.

Cain was much too conservative, for my tastes. But, I did like him, personally, until I found out about his cheating. That does matter, to me, because it speaks to a person's character.

alanmolstad

The end result of this past election shows us that you dare not try to win if you are a Republican and walk away from the conservatives.

Mitt ran more and more away from Christian conservatives...and this was the same thing that Dole did and lost...and McCain did and lost...

Now Mitt Romney has joined them in their little club of people who tried to win without us....

alanmolstad

I pay attention to a lot of the chat that came out of the Conservative meetings after the election, and there is a ground movement to try to make sure via the Party Rules, that another Mitt Romney does not happen next time.

The error in the Party is that it is so open to people getting into the race.
    This allowed a liberal like Mitt to simply be the only guy left standing in a race that bhad way more interest from Conservatives that it had from Mitt supporters on the Left.
    But due to the manner that the Conservatives split their votes amoung 8 different people at the start of this primary season, it left Mitt with the largest share of votes.....

and with no support among core conservatives, Mitt had to run the say style of election that doomed McCain and Bob Dole.
    All 3 guys now have tried to not be strongly connected to the core Conservative part of the Party, and all 3 of them lost doing this.

The fact is that appealing to Conservatives is the only way to get elected as a republican....

You need a strong pro-Life person to lead the ticket....Strong church-goer....and with a great history of supporting Conservative issues.

In other words.....No More Mitt Romneys!

alanmolstad

this time around I see Bush leading the ticket.

will Bush pick Mitt as the VP running mate?....I dont think so.
    However I do see Mitt picked to be named the Sec of State should Bush win.

alanmolstad

the key thing to watch in this next election will be the push to keep conservatives OUT of the race to lead the ticket.
    last time we have 5 or 6 good conservatives in the race and they split the vote and allowed Mitt to win...

alanmolstad

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    this time around I see Bush leading the ticket.

will Bush pick Mitt as the VP running mate?....I dont think so.
    However I do see Mitt picked to be named the Sec of State should Bush win.
    as it turned out...Bush fell completely apart during the next election, and well...Mitt tried very hard to steal the lead spot on the ticket a bunch of times.

As for why Bush failed?...how could a guy who had well over 130 million to spend , ending up with only 3 people to vote for him at the convention?......thats a good question for big brains to answer.

What actually happened is that a revolution happened within the Party and that forces connected to the rise of the tea party wing were able to take over the lead spot on the ticket against the will of the establishment of the Party leadership.

In this election I ended up strongly supporting Trump from the moment he announced his run, and so this has been the first time I have supported a guy who won the whole show.
    This did cause me a loss of a few Facebook friends, as not only Liberals but also many conservatives considered Trump to be a joke,,,,,until it was clear he had won it all.

right now I believe Trump is off to a good start, and look forward to the next few years