Page 24 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: Biblical and historical reasons why Mitt Romney is not a Christian

Quote Originally Posted by Billyray View Post
    Romans 5:13 For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

When was there NO law IN the world?

You believe that they were under the law of the gospel from Adam to Moses, which would include baptism, laying on of hand for the gift of the Holy Ghost, Melchizedek priesthood and all the other ordinances. Where do you find all of these things pre Moses?
    No, you are defining what you think "the law" is---suffice it to say that it is clear that there was a law from Adam to Moses as can be clearly seen in the reading of the Old Testament.

Or were you thinking that it was okay that Cain killed Abel as there was "no law" according to you?
    I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon)--Luk 24:32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?

Abraham gave Melchizedek 10% of recovered stolen property and gave the remaining 90% to their rightful owners. This is hardly a model for ***hing. Melchizedek is never ever given the commandment to ***he and you never ever see him pay ***hes on any of his increase.
    Oh--look at the lengths you go to make who God calls "exalted father" giving ***hes to what God calls the king of Salem "righteous king" and also the "king of peace"---look at what lengths you go to disqualify the ***hes that Abraham gave to Melchizedek all to make your "not law theory until Moses" work. And what about Levi paying ***hes to Abraham?
    I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon)--Luk 24:32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?

Billyray

Quote Originally Posted by BigJulie View Post
    So, this notion that there was no law before Moses and no priesthood before Moses is absurd to say the least.
    Then show me the Melchizedek priesthood and the law of the gospel from Adam to Moses.

Billyray

Oh--look at the lengths you go to make who God calls "exalted father" giving ***hes to what God calls the king of Salem "righteous king" and also the "king of peace"---look at what lengths you go to disqualify the ***hes that Abraham gave to Melchizedek all to make your "not law theory until Moses" work. And what about Levi paying ***hes to Abraham?
    Show me where ***hing is commanded in the Bible. It is in the Bible, look for it and get back to me with the answer.

Show me where ***hing is commanded in the Bible. It is in the Bible, look for it and get back to me with the answer.
    Yes, I get it now--you think that Abraham paid ***hes to Melchizedek and Levi paid ***hes to Abraham because they sucked it out of their thumb.

Then show me the Melchizedek priesthood and the law of the gospel from Adam to Moses.
    What is obvious is that the priesthood existed prior to Moses as can be clearly seen. So, what do you believe this priesthood to be?

Billyray

***hing wasn't commanded until the Law.

7:9 And as I may so say, Levi also, who receiveth ***hes, payed ***hes in Abraham.

This doesn't say that Levi paid ***hes to Abraham.

***hing wasn't commanded until the Law.

7:9 And as I may so say, Levi also, who receiveth ***hes, payed ***hes in Abraham.

This doesn't say that Levi paid ***hes to Abraham.
    You keep believing that Billyray, as it is the ONLY way you can make Romans 5 make what you think it should. You can keep believing that God was silent until Moses. I, on, the other hand can clearly see that God was very active in teaching His children even prior to Moses which is why Cain and Abel were giving sacrifices and why Abraham was paying ***hes.

Billyray

You keep believing that Billyray, as it is the ONLY way you can make Romans 5 make what you think it should.
    Prove me wrong BigJ. Show me the law of the gospel pre Moses. Show me baptism. Show me laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost. Show me the commandment for ***hing pre Moses. Show me temple ordinances.

Prove me wrong BigJ. Show me the law of the gospel pre Moses. Show me baptism. Show me laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost. Show me the commandment for ***hing pre Moses. Show me temple ordinances.
    The Old Testament has proved you wrong Billyray--you just need to take the time to read it and understand it.

You remind me of what I used to say to my children---"s.tupidity is no excuse" when they tried to say to me---"but you didn't say that mom" as an excuse for doing something wrong or not doing something right.

Billyray

The Old Testament has proved you wrong Billyray--you just need to take the time to read it and understand it. -
    What you want me to do is to read your theology into the text like you do even though it is not there.

What you want me to do is to read your theology into the text like you do even though it is not there.
    No, just the opposite. You are trying to make the OT fit your theology so Romans 5 fits what you think it should. Once you accept that a law was given pre-Moses and a new law given to Moses, then you understand the Moses's "fathers' had a covenant/law which is precisely why when Moses gives the law to the Israelites, he explains that it is not the covenant the Lord "cut" with their fathers, but is the covenant received "today"--or the day Moses gave it.

That is Biblical Billyray. So, not only can you not prove their was no law pre-Moses, there are scriptures in direct contradiction to what you believe.
    Last edited by BigJulie; 11-17-2011 at 12:38 PM.

dberrie2000

Dberrie---Billyray is trying to make the point that there was no law before Moses (so that his reading of Romans 5 works for him) by attempting to show that there was no priesthood before Moses.

This notion is patently absurd as the priesthood, by definition, means that one can act for and in behalf of God. This "holy order" is the order in which God does things. We both understand that.
    Patently false, to be sure. Paul plainly stated that Abraham was under the gospel of Christ.

Galatians3:6-9--"Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.

7Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.

8And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.

9So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham."

Galatians3:18-19--"For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise.

19Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator."

The Mosaic Law was added to what?

dberrie2000

Romans 5:13 For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

When was there no law IN the world?
    There never was. The "Law" is Paul's reference to the Mosaic Law. The Mosaic Law came into being at a certain point in time. That in no way precludes the fact that Abraham lived under the gospel.

Galatians3:18-19--"For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise.

19Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator."

The Mosaic Law was added to what?

Billyray

Quote Originally Posted by dberrie2000 View Post
    There never was. The "Law" is Paul's reference to the Mosaic Law.
    Romans 5:13 For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no Law.

If there was a law pre Moses then what did Paul mean by " but sin is not imputed when there is no law?

Billyray

Once you accept that a law was given pre-Moses and a new law given to Moses. . .
    I am interested in this theory that there was a higher law that was given then downgraded because of unrighteousness. Where can I read about this?

Billyray

The Mosaic Law came into being at a certain point in time
    Why did God change the law from a higher law to a lower law? Where can I read about this?

Billyray

Patently false, to be sure. Paul plainly stated that Abraham was under the gospel of Christ.
    Can you show me this gospel given in the OT pre Moses?

I am interested in this theory that there was a higher law that was given then downgraded because of unrighteousness. Where can I read about this?
    In Deut. is where you can read about the Mosiac law --which is also why everyone except two (Joshua and Kaleb) were killed off prior to going into the promises land.

Can you show me this gospel given in the OT pre Moses?
    You can read through the OT and see it throughout AND this is verified in the NT:

Galatians3:6-9--"Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.

7Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.

8And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.

9So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham."

Billyray

You can read through the OT and see it throughout AND this is verified in the NT:
    I can't find it in the OT BigJ can you show me some verses?

Billyray

Can you give me the NT definition of the gospel? The way Paul would define it since you are quoting Paul.

dberrie2000

Why did God change the law from a higher law to a lower law? Where can I read about this?
    Billyray--I already printed that for you:

What was the Law added to?

Billyray

I can't find the law of the gospel pre Moses, can you show me all the laws that predates Moses?

Billyray

This is very interesting DB. So you believe that there were a set number of laws and that more laws were added to the existing laws?