Page 33 of 41 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Biblical and historical reasons why Mitt Romney is not a Christian

Mesenja

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    You do have a way of twisting words,Billy. That's not a good thing.
    Billy has that talent

Billyray

I never, personally, witnessed that, but I would guess that the reasoning was that, once you have the "fulness", only satan could cause you to go to something less.
    So Lucifer's church where he hires Christian ministers to convert people is the Church of the Lamb of God according to Mormon thinking?

Libby

Quote Originally Posted by Billyray View Post
    So Lucifer's church where he hires Christian ministers to convert people is the Church of the Lamb of God according to Mormon thinking?
    Huh?

Sorry, but that is making no sense, to me.

Billyray

Huh?

Why doesn't that make sense to you?

Define your concept of the church of the devil.

Billyray

Huh?

Here is a reminder

So every person on this board belongs to the Church of the lamb of God and we are all going to be exalted?
    Within Mormon theology that is a distinct possibility.
    List what church is the church of the lamb of God.

List churches that fall under the church of the devil.

Libby

The two churches are not specific denominations, Billy. I already explained that. In simple terms, they are made up of those "individuals" who either embrace Christ or reject him.

Those individuals will belong to a lot of different denominations, with people from both the church of the devil and the Church of the Lamb of God within ALL of those denominations, including Mormonism.

Billyray

The two churches are not specific denominations, Billy.
    Come on Libby what Mormon really believes this?

Do you believe from the LDS point of view that there is one true church?

Libby

Come on Libby what Mormon really believes this?

Do you believe from the LDS point of view that there is one true church?
    Here on earth, yes, there is one true church, per LDS theology. But, in the broader picture (into the eternities) that "church" becomes much more inclusive. That's the whole purpose of Temple work.

Billyray

Here on earth, yes, there is one true church, per LDS theology. But, in the broader picture (into the eternities) that "church" becomes much more inclusive. That's the whole purpose of Temple work.
    But is that a different church or the same church?

When you say more inclusive do you believe the Mormon church and the Catholic church are both the true church in the eternities?

Billyray

Here on earth, yes, there is one true church. . .
    So on earth what church is the church of the lamb of God?

Libby

So on earth what church is the church of the lamb of God?
    The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints would be considered the truest church on the planet and the only one authorized to do saving ordinances...BUT, I think most would agree that there are, potentially, members of the "Church of the Lamb" in every single church and religion on the planet.

This issue is not as simple as you are trying to make it, Billy.

Billyray

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints would be considered the truest church on the planet and the only one authorized to do saving ordinances...BUT, I think most would agree that there are, potentially, members of the "Church of the Lamb" in every single church and religion on the planet.
    Libby this is not a difficult question. It seems in your zeal to try and defend Mormonism you are not being very honest with me here.

What church is the church of the lamb of God?

Libby

Libby this is not a difficult question. It seems in your zeal to try and defend Mormonism you are not being very honest with me here.

What church is the church of the lamb of God?
    Billy, I'm getting a little tired of you questioning my honesty. I may be mistaken in some things, but I am never intentionally dishonest.

I don't know what you were taught about The Church of the Lamb, but I do know what I was taught, in the LDS Church, and no one ever told me that only those who belonged to the LDS church, while on this earth, were the only members of the Church of the Lamb of God. Just the opposite. I have told you exactly what I was taught in the church. If you have something different to present, then by all means present it. I have searched lds.org and really could not find anything definitive on the subject, other than the actual scriptures in 1 Nephi.
    Last edited by Libby; 12-18-2011 at 11:53 PM.

Billyray

I don't know what you were taught about The Church of the Lamb, but I do know what I was taught, in the LDS Church, and no one ever told me that only those who belonged to the LDS church, while on this earth, were the only members of the Church of the Lamb of God.
    Yet you were taught that the LDS is the only true church. And that only the LDS members could be exalted. And the LDS church has the priesthood authority which is the only true authority on earth. And that any ordinance such as baptism by any other church wad invalid and had to be repeated by someone who held authority in the LDS church. Coupled with the teachings in the temple pre 1990 that lucifer hired a Christian minister to convert them to his church. Tell me which church on the earth is the church of the lamb of god?

Billyray

". . .Elder Bruce R. McConkie explained that “the ***les church of the devil and great and abominable church are used to identify all churches or organizations of whatever name or nature—whether political, philosophical, educational, economic, social, fraternal, civic, or religious—which are designed to take men on a course that leads away from God and his laws and thus from salvation in the kingdom of God” ( Mormon Doctrine, pp. 137–38). . ."
    http://ins***ute.lds.org/manuals/Doc...-in-011-18.asp

Libby which churches fit the above description for the church of the devil?

Billyray

". . .Clearly, whatever denominational name we choose to give it, the earliest apostate church and the great and abominable church that Nephi and John describe are identical. The fact is, we don’t really know what name to give it. I have proposed hellenized Christianity, but that is a description rather than a name.

The historical abominable church of the devil is that apostate church that replaced true Christianity in the first and second centuries, teaching the philosophies of men mingled with scriptures. It dethroned God in the church and replaced him with man by denying the principle of revelation and turning instead to human intellect. As the product of human agency, its creeds were an abomination to the Lord, for they were idolatry: men worshipping the creations, not of their own hands, but of their own minds. . ."
    http://lds.org/ensign/1988/01/warrin...f-god?lang=eng

Above this author gives information about the historical church of the devil. And note it is a church not a vague group of people that span all denominations.

As usual, Billyray, you have taken so much out of context, it is amazing. I hope people will go read the whole Ensign article you provided rather than your little snippet that in an of itself is misleading.

Here is another quote from the Ensign.

"In the historical sense, though, only one en***y can be the great and abominable church. Well-intentioned churches would thus not qualify as the mother of abominations described in 1 Nephi 13. They do not slay the saints of God nor seek to control civil governments nor pursue wealth, luxury, and sexual immorality."

And another:

"The word church (Hebrew qahal or edah; Greek ekklesia) had a slightly broader meaning anciently than it does now. It referred to an ***embly, congregation, or ***ociation of people who bonded together and shared the same loyalties. Thus, the term was not necessarily restricted to religious ***ociations; in fact, in Athens the Greeks used the term to denote the legislative ***embly of government."
    I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon)--Luk 24:32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?

Billyray

Quote Originally Posted by BigJulie View Post
    As usual, Billyray, you have taken so much out of context, it is amazing.
    What amazes me is the denial that LDS members have today over this issue that was not the case when I was LDS.

Let me ask you a couple of questions.

1. Do you believe that there was a specific historical church that is the church of the devil as described in the Ensign?

2. Do you believe BRM quote below?

". . .Elder Bruce R. McConkie explained that “the ***les church of the devil and great and abominable church are used to identify all churches or organizations of whatever name or nature—whether political, philosophical, educational, economic, social, fraternal, civic, or religious—which are designed to take men on a course that leads away from God and his laws and thus from salvation in the kingdom of God” ( Mormon Doctrine, pp. 137–38). . ."

Libby

What amazes me is the denial that LDS members have today over this issue that was not the case when I was LDS.

Let me ask you a couple of questions.

1. Do you believe that there was a specific historical church that is the church of the devil as described in the Ensign?

2. Do you believe BRM quote below?

Do you believe McConkie meant ALL CHURCHES (other than LDS) were "leading people away from God"? Certainly doesn't appear that way to me...and I know for a fact that is not taught in the church today.

Billyray

Do you believe McConkie meant ALL CHURCHES (other than LDS) were "leading people away from God"?
    Yep

. . .

Libby

I don't see him saying that. I think you might be reading into it.

The link for your article doesn't work, btw (for me, anyway).. I'll have to see if I can google it.

I do know Bruce McConkie has said things that were very controversial and things he has even taken back, at times. But, I don't really see what you are seeing, in these snippets you have provided.

Libby

How long have you been out of the LDS Church, Billy?

I have only been out for a couple of years.

Billyray

The link for your article doesn't work, btw (for me, anyway).. I'll have to see if I can google it.

Billyray

I don't see him saying that. I think you might be reading into it.
    "which are designed to take men on a course that leads away from God and his laws and thus from salvation in the kingdom of God”

Don't ALL churches teach things that lead people off course when looking at it from the LDS point of view?

Billyray

How long have you been out of the LDS Church, Billy?

I have only been out for a couple of years.
    I left more than 10 years ago.