Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627

Thread: from a political perspective, I dont have a problem voting for a Mormon like Mitt.

alanmolstad

the thing with Mitt was that he simply was not the guy that the Conservatives wanted.
    Mitt never tried to draw close to the Conservatives.
    Lacking the needed support of the conservatives doomed his election.
    But there is a good side to this we should not overlook.

For far too long there has been a myth that Conservatives would only support a Christian for office.
    We now see clearly that Christian Conservatives are able to look past the difference in a person's religion and judge them only according to their Conservative track-record.

this means that the Conservatives are READY to vote for the guy or girl that best represents the values they have in common, and not just vote on people's religion.

Kennedy got the "Catholic issue/Pope issue" off the table and no one talks about the Pope running the country if a catholic is President any more.

Mitt has taken the "Mormon/Cult issue" off the table now too.

alanmolstad

Democrats tend to vote in the primary for the underdog.
    Liberals like to be supporting the little guy who comes on strong to win.

Republicans tend to support the guy who is in the lead at the start.
    Conservatives want to be on the winning side from before the race begins...

So this is why I tend to believe that Bush has it already won.

As for who will be his pick for VP?....
    I tend to think he will try to go with someone who the thinking is will bring in voters, and yet does not have a long track record.
    I therefore predict that the bush VP will be a Mexican/American...

alanmolstad

so what went wrong?

Clearly Bush simply could not bring himself to draw close to the conservatives and wanted to remain in the middle.

The moment he did this he opened the door to Trump.
    At issue after issue, we had Trump saying the things the conservatives wanted said...and Bush saying nothing.

Thus this election has shocked the Old Guard as the guy the Old Guard was pushing (Bush) just never sought the voters he needed.

The real story has been the way Bush ran his race just like Mitt ran and lost before him.
    the idea that had was that they needed to draw close to the "undecided" and be in the middle of the road.

Mitt's lack of vision handed the election away
    Bush's lack of learning the lessons from history handed his election away.

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    so what went wrong?

Clearly Bush simply could not bring himself to draw close to the conservatives and wanted to remain in the middle.

The moment he did this he opened the door to Trump.
    At issue after issue, we had Trump saying the things the conservatives wanted said...and Bush saying nothing.

Thus this election has shocked the Old Guard as the guy the Old Guard was pushing (Bush) just never sought the voters he needed.

The real story has been the way Bush ran his race just like Mitt ran and lost before him.
    the idea that had was that they needed to draw close to the "undecided" and be in the middle of the road.

Mitt's lack of vision handed the election away
    Bush's lack of learning the lessons from history handed his election away.
    But Romney won the primary--remember.

I think you explained it best when you noted that Christians like the immoral and rude Trump because he will state 'ban the Muslims" and "build the wall" when the other candidates will not. It made it very clear to me that the sensationalizing, exclusionary viewpoints I see in this forum is also seen within the political arena. It seems acceptable to Christians to sensationalize, stereotype and exclude in this forum and within politics.

I personally prefer candidates who speak with pragmatism and sensitivity recognizing that stereotyping and exclusion will not solve our problems. I find it interesting that those who support gun rights (which I do) seem to understand that we do not want to change our fundamental values based on the actions of a few--which has been sensationalized in the news. Yet, when it comes to those who are outside their own group, they are more than willing to throw out of values in the name of security.

I think it is precisely this exclusionary stance is winning Trump the votes and cost ultimately cost Romney and Bush.
    Last edited by BigJulie; 02-23-2016 at 04:17 PM.
    I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon)--Luk 24:32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?

alanmolstad

Right now I would not vote for Mitt for dog catcher

alanmolstad

The update to this topic is the recent story where Mitt Romney wanted to be trump's pick to be Sec of State.

Trump made Mitt jump though some hoops....made him come to him and opening beg for the *** and say he was sorry for the things Mitt had said over the last year..

and then Trump got his revenge on Mitt Romney when he gave the *** to this other guy .

So in the end, after the last 2 years were we saw Mitt Romney try every thing he could to try to be the big man again.....it all failed and Mitt had to drive back to his home empty handed.

alanmolstad

it is also interesting to note that trump did hire a member of Mitt Romney's family.....

I think the word we are thinking of is "Revenge"....

Trump has now settled the score.....

alanmolstad

It is also interesting to note how Mitt has dropped off the news totally?

Is he even still alive?

Right now he must be sitting at home wondering how he managed to go from leading the ticket and being the voice of his Party, to being left by the side of the road?

The truth is, he only has himself to blame.

alanmolstad

I have watched this topic over the years...

And of all the topics I have started, this one is the most viewed by people it seems.
    At any given moment of each day I have seen guests stop at this same topic and have a look at my views.

it is odd that of all the things I have written on this forum in the many years, this lone thing became what I was most known for?

alanmolstad

I started this topic back in 2011 and whenever I check on the number of people visiting this forum and what they are currently looking at, I always seem to find this one topic of mine up that near the top of the list???

Im not really sure why this is?

Perhaps its the ***le?

Perhaps its because it seems to pop-up with people do a GOOGLE search?
    (Im not sure why anyone would still be doing a google search for Mitt Romney?)

The basic idea I had at the time I started this topic is that beating Obama was more important to me that really any other concern I had over Mitt's false religion.

I still feel the same...

In the end, Mitt kinda bet "all in" on the wrong guy and ended up fighting Trump more that anyone else,,,and thus Mitt's little dream of being important still , has went down the tubes....

alanmolstad

about 9 years later and people still keep clicking on my old topic?