Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627 LastLast

Thread: from a political perspective, I dont have a problem voting for a Mormon like Mitt.

alanmolstad

Quote Originally Posted by BigJulie View Post

So, according to you, Mitt's political positions are fine ....
    Did I ever say they were fine?

What we have with Mitt is a guy who has made it very clear that he simply is at odds with conservatives and he has also made it very clear over this past election that he has no intention of drawing close to conservatives.

The feeling we all get from Mitt is that he views conservatives as a "necessary evil" that he has to put up with.

I dont want him to change anything about himself because I dont want him at all.

Mitt and conservatives are not good match.

Lets always keep in mind the "plan" that Mitt and his team are working under.
    The plan is the very same "plan" that Bob Dole used, and the one that McCain used.
    It's the plan where you get the lead spot on the ticket by splitting the conservative vote and drawing close to the more liberal wing of the Republican party.

Then in the national election the "plan" is to run as a middle-of-the -road guy, attract the independent voters, and then watch as all the conservatives come-over to your side in the fall election all on their own.

This means that under the "plan" you dont do or say anything to connect yourself too much to the conservatives because that will push away the liberals/independents.

The historical problen with this "plan" is?
    It dont work.

We have seen in election after election that when the guy on the Republican side does not have the strong support of the conservative base, he will lose the election.

We have seen in the loss of both Dole and McCain that no matter what the liberal base is strongly motivated to support the dems....and that the Independents simply don't respond the way the "plan" calls for them to do so.

This means that as the fall election draws closer and closer and Mitt's team suddenly starts to see in the polling data that the numbers are not showing up that they thought would under the "plan"...that this will cause Mitt's team to dream up things to "do" to appeal to conservatives.

It will not work...

The conservatives dont want Mitt to suddenly change and "do" things to make us happy.

The simple truth is that the conservatives dont want Mitt at all.....

alanmolstad

how do we get into this fix?

How did we once again end up with a guy on our ticket that the conservatives will never support in a million years?

Its the way the primary goes...the popularity of conservative guys in the race is their undoing .

when you have a strong conservative base of voters and this encourages many other conservatives to enter the race, the effect is to split the vote and end up with a non-conservative winning everything right out from under them.

To make this more easy to understand what is happening, lets say there are 12 people that are going to vote on picking a leader.
    of these 12 people, lets say that 5 of them are liberal, and the other 7 are strong conservatives.

before the election starts the 7 conservatives are all pumped up to vote because they believe they will win the election no matter what due to their numbers being bigger that the liberal's number.

But because the conservatives are so motivated to vote, this encourages more other conservatives to enter the race.

thats the problem.

lets say we now have a 3-way race going.
    2 conservatives in the race against 1 liberal.

The 2 conservatives will end up splitting the conservative's vote and because there was only one liberal in the race, he will get all the votes of the liberals.

so each of the conservatives get 4 votes out of the 8-vote conservative majority, while the liberal guy gets all the 5 votes from the liberal minority.

The liberal wins!

and because he has won the election by appealing to the liberals. he will think that that is the way to always win too.

This is the reason Dole/McCain/Romney have won the lead on the Republican ticket, and also why under their "plan" they think they can win against the dems by appealing to the same more liberal-minded voters....

This is why Mitt has not done squat to draw conservatives to his team....Mitt has not needed conservatives so far, ....

Mitt's team does not see the need of doing anything to appeal to Republican conservatives.
    They did not need to "do" anything to win the lead on the ticket, so why change in the general election?

thats their thinking right now....
    They think that they got to where they are now by appealing only to the more liberal/independent voters, and that this will be the same in the general election in the fall.

this is the 'plan"
    This is the reason they all have worked under the same 'plan"

and this is why they all fail.
    Last edited by alanmolstad; 05-11-2012 at 04:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post

What we have with Mitt is a guy who has made it very clear that he simply is at odds with conservatives and he has also made it very clear over this past election that he has no intention of drawing close to conservatives.

The feeling we all get from Mitt is that he views conservatives as a "necessary evil" that he has to put up with.

I dont want him to change anything about himself because I dont want him at all.

First let's note---that among conservatives that Mitt Romney has received the most votes. So, so state that all conservatives feel as you do would obviously not be accurate.

Okay, you say that Mitt is "at odds with conservatives." How exactly so? What positions does he have that lend you to say this?
    I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon)--Luk 24:32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?

how do we get into this fix?

How did we once again end up with a guy on our ticket that the conservatives will .
    You forget there was an attempt to get all "conservatives" to back Rick Santorum but that plan failed. Obviously, when it became a two-man race, Romney still faired better in most of the states. Yes, some were for Santorum, but Romney did better overall, hence he won and Rick backed out.
    I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon)--Luk 24:32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?

So, what do you think of Ron Paul's announcement today?

alanmolstad

So, what do you think of Ron Paul's announcement today?
    I think you need to GOOGLE something to understand the context of why Ron Paul's announcement is a moot point to his plans.....and why the Republican leadership has just announced that there now are whole State delegations that may face a challenge to be seated at the republican Convention.

Google - "Ron Paul sneak attack"

alanmolstad

You forget there was an attempt to get all "conservatives" to back Rick Santorum but that plan failed. Obviously, when it became a two-man race, Romney still faired better in most of the states. Yes, some were for Santorum, but Romney did better overall, hence he won and Rick backed out.
    The dates of different primarys is such that you have to do well in the SC primary as a conservative if you want to last to beat the big money guys later in the year.

The problem was that there were all the good conservatives on the ballot in SC so the vote was split and after that the moment was lost as vote after vote the conservatives just had too many names to pick from...

what is important to point out is the primary here in North dakota.
    The election was totally over by the time I got to vote...there was no way Rick could win....and Rick did not even stop by my state...

yet Rick won in North Dakota!

what this shows is that no matter what there are conservatives that will vote for a loser over voting for Mitt.

again.....its still too early to see a lot of what I have said is about to happen to the Mitt campaign.

I think it has to be mid to late summer before the numbers of conservatives the Mitt was counting one, start to show that they simply are not there for him and never were....

I think you need to GOOGLE something to understand the context of why Ron Paul's announcement is a moot point to his plans.....and why the Republican leadership has just announced that there now are whole State delegations that may face a challenge to be seated at the republican Convention.

Google - "Ron Paul sneak attack"
    I watched the video. It is an interesting campaign stradegy. I know in my state, Ron Paul has tried to strategies against the Romney delegate vote and has not succeeded. I also know that in my sister's state, she is a delegate and she will represent who was voted for by the majority which was Romney.

This will be interesting to watch.

The dates of different primarys is such that you have to do well in the SC primary as a conservative if you want to last to beat the big money guys later in the year.

The problem was that there were all the good conservatives on the ballot in SC so the vote was split and after that the moment was lost as vote after vote the conservatives just had too many names to pick from...

what is important to point out is the primary here in North dakota.
    The election was totally over by the time I got to vote...there was no way Rick could win....and Rick did not even stop by my state...

yet Rick won in North Dakota!

what this shows is that no matter what there are conservatives that will vote for a loser over voting for Mitt.

again.....its still too early to see a lot of what I have said is about to happen to the Mitt campaign.

I think it has to be mid to late summer before the numbers of conservatives the Mitt was counting one, start to show that they simply are not there for him and never were....
    You have yet to state what you think Mitt needs to change or what he needs to change in order to appeal to more conservatives such as yourself. Any suggestions?

alanmolstad

You have yet to state what you think Mitt needs to change or what he needs to change in order to appeal to more conservatives such as yourself. Any suggestions?
    again.....my answer to that question has remained unchanged over these last weeks...

What I can tell you that as of late I have really come to question the staff of Mitt .
    I see error after error, I see the election being controlled by Obama, with Mitt always playing catch-up a day late.

The question of Mitt's taxes is still there?

After months and months ago it should have been put to rest?....
    Who in their right mind told Mitt that not turning over his tax records would fly?

What crazy person convinced Mitt that would work?

alanmolstad

what I see is this:

Mitt is about to pick a VP to run with.
    If Mitt picks a conservative person as his VP, then it might get a few votes,.....hmmmm..maybe, but it will be good for the Party as a whole as it means that Conservative VP will be in the lead position going into the next election.

this means that while the conservatives will never support Mitt enough to beat Obama, they will love to see Mitt pick a conservative as his VP because - given the fact the Mitt will lose to Obama this time, the conservative VP will lead the ticket in the next election...

and that conservative VP will be elected President!

alanmolstad

I watched Meet the press this morning and they had on the guy from Mitt's campaign to talk about stuff.

As the interview went along it became clear to me that Mitt's staff is just not up to the ***.

Once again when it came to the real key questions the answer "I dont know" was he had to say?

and the issue with Mitt's tax returns still has no answer from even the very top members of Mitt's staff?

How can this be true at this late stage in the race ?

What this leads me to believe is that Mitt and his staff are simply not ready to take power...they are not ready to lead....

Im a Republican and I very much wanted to get Obama out of there, but Good LORD!.....where did anyone think for one moment that Mitt was ready for this?

Why didnt anyone tell Mitt that he better have a way better team of guys on his staff?

The main problem seems to be that Mitt's staff has limited experience, and only reacts.....
    they do not take the lead....
    They dont know how to lead...
    they do not charge in and take control of the flow of the topics...

I watch this morning as the head of Mitt's staff got stomped on by a minor female staff person on Obama's team.

Mitt's top guy is thought to be in-line to become the Chief Of Staff if Mitt wins the election.
    If that is true, and if Mitt wins, then this country is in some BIG trouble because the guy I saw in TV this morning was not ready to be in-charge of a High school team, let alone a powerful position in the White House.

alanmolstad

Talking

Yet another day where we see the news taken over by attacks against Mitt....and Mitt and his staff seem to have no clue how to respond.

It now seems very clear to all us Republicans that Mitt is just not ready to win this election..
    If he wanted to win he would fight...and Mitt is not fighting...

Right now when i look at Mitt all I see is a lost person....he looks lost to me and just not ready to fight...or willing...

The Tee Party is never going to support a guy who simply does not have the guts to stand up and fight.

alanmolstad

well it's another day of Mitt stumbeling, and Obama in charge of the nation election conversation.

Once again I turn on the TV news and see Mitt looking like he has something to hide.
    How any any of Mitt's advisers still be telling him that he does not have to show his tax returns?

How can anyone be so foolish?

There is no way that Mitt can be elected President if he is acting like he has something to hide.

If I was Mitt, I would fire his whole staff as they simply are not up to the *** of running this election, and I would turn over all his tax returns this Friday!

alanmolstad

I think what we are watching is not the start of Mitt's run for the Office, but rather we are watching Mitt come to the point where he may pull out of this race.

We are watching Mitt simply allow his argument to be President
    being stripped away, and underneath he has nothing left to say for himself.

Day after day we are seeing Mitt's reasons to be president being forgotten and replaced with only reasons not to trust Mitt.

Remember....thats the thing here..."TRUST"...

Its this lack of trust of Mitt that is behind all the support in the primary for "Anyone but Mitt"

So not only do Conservatives not trust Mitt, but now we that the mood of the country is turning to not trust Mitt too.

Simply put, Mitt is acting like he has something to hide....

alanmolstad

there comes a point where you got to ask "What was he thinking?"

remember when Cain was in this race and later on we learned that he had a girlfriend?

the guy had a secret girlfriend for years, and then decided to run for president????
    Are you kidding me?

When all this came out, I had to ask, "What was he thinking?"

How could a guy who knew full well that his past would be dug into closely, still want to run for president when he also knew he had a HUGE SECRET that he had been hiding for years?

Now we come to the case of Mitt, and his tax returns.

The topic is in the news, and is all anyone is talking about...
    The question is, "Why will Mitt not give out his tax return information?"

This is just too hard for me to believe that Mitt thinks the question is not a big deal, or that he can get away from it by talking about other things.

I believe that the fact that Mitt has not given all the tax return infomation will lead any person to then ask, "Why not?"
    and that leads us to the real question in the back of every American's mind -

"What does Mitt have to hide about his tax return?"

Now I believe that Mitt is going to have to come out with all his tax stuff....and it's got to be out in the open what his tax returns say about his money.

But if we then learn that Mitt was hiding something, I will once again have to ask
    What was he thinking?

How could someone with tax trouble think that it would be a good idea to run for president?

How could a guy believe for one moment that he could run for president while at the same time keep something secret about his past tax returns?

What??

You think this election is about Mitt's tax returns that are 3 to 10 years old? The IRS did not have a problem with them--why do you?

Mitt Romney said he does not want to make this election about his tax returns but about the economy. The dems have 2 years worth. That is all McCain gave.

Are you really buying into this argument that these tax returns are important?

I'll vote for the one who "built that" and actually succeeded. Go ahead and keep trying to find any problem you can with the one who is "not Obama."

alanmolstad

Are you really buying into this argument that these tax returns are important?
    the tax return itself is not important to me...

But the refusing to be honest with the American people and produce the requested returns is a key error of Mitt and his team and likely a deal breaker in this election.

To think for one moment that Mitt and dodge around the issue and not have it come up later is silly.

Unless Mitt brings out all his tax returns the issue is never going away and may become what this election becomes about.

Thus the staff of Mitt should sit Mitt down and tell him that unless he can stand behind his income tax forms he should not try to run for the White House.

alanmolstad

HOW IS THE ELECTION GOING SO FAR?

It's EVEN!

The only real blunder has been from Obama with his "You didn't build that" comment....

that one is going to come back on him many, many times...

Mitt has not really done any blunders as of late...
    Forget the comments about the Olympics, as his supporters feel the same way that Mitt does about the guys running the games.

I also believe that all the talk about Connie Rice being picked as his VP is a real, real, real bonus for Mitt with Conservatives like myself...

Even the talk that she is being added to the list5 of named up for the VP spot has got me interested in Mitt really kicking some *** in November....

alanmolstad

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/f4837046-d...#axzz21raUnSY0

Dont kid yourself...this was Connie applying for the VP ***.....

alanmolstad

Paul Ryan should be a good name to add to the ticket.

I dont find any problems with him, and with the addition of a good Christian catholic to the team we have removed the whole "Mormon thing" off the table.

alanmolstad

at the current time I give Mitt a good 75% chance of winning...

However....thats not the way it turned out...LOL
    Last edited by alanmolstad; 11-16-2012 at 05:26 AM.

alanmolstad

Time to wrap things up and talk about the reason Mitt lost and the things I have talked about on this topic.

#1st....the main point of this topic was that I had no reason to vote against Mitt....that I did not hold his Cultist Mormon religion against him in the voting booth...

I believe that a person's religion should not be part of a political discussion.

#2nd
    - I never wanted Mitt to lead the ticket, and I felt that not many real conservative were likely to support Mitt.

This turned out to be very true.
    Conservatives just never got fired up to vote for Mitt and Mitt seemed to go out of his way to do things that moved him away from conservatives.

#3rd -....On this topic I have said and argued many times that Mitt's only chance to win would be to push the social issues, and forget about running on the economy.

I was right once again about that.....

Mitt and his supporters tried to keep this election centered on the economy , and they never really even tried to raise the Abortion issue except for some minor talking points in a few speeches....

This is where Mitt lost....

I predicted that by the day of the election the economy would be seen as "recovering" and that the media would give Obama credit for this recovery.

I was right again on this...

Mitt had no back-up plan.
    Mitt and his supporters had bet everything on the economy being in the dumpster on election day, and when that did not turn out to be the case they were left with nothing.

Conservatives would have supported Mitt had he not been such a flip-flopper on Abortion...but Mitt gave conservatives nothing to have confidence in him about.

From the start the staff of Mitt who ran his campaign were the same people, or getting advice from the same people that ran he campaign ot Bob Dole and John McCain.

Their idea was that they did not have to draw closer to conservatives because they felt that "Who else would conservatives vote for?"

The staff of Mitt, the staff of McCain, and staff of Dole would smile and say "Conservatives will support us no matter what"

They were all wrong....as I predicted.
    Last edited by alanmolstad; 11-16-2012 at 09:54 AM.

alanmolstad

Lets always keep in mind the "plan" that Mitt and his team are working under.
    The plan is the very same "plan" that Bob Dole used, and the one that McCain used.
    It's the plan where you get the lead spot on the ticket by splitting the conservative vote and drawing close to the more liberal wing of the Republican party.

Then in the national election the "plan" is to run as a middle-of-the -road guy, attract the independent voters, and then watch as all the conservatives come-over to your side in the fall election all on their own.

This means that under the "plan" you dont do or say anything to connect yourself too much to the conservatives because that will push away the liberals/independents.

The historical problen with this "plan" is?
    It dont work.

We have seen in election after election that when the guy on the Republican side does not have the strong support of the conservative base, he will lose the election.

We have seen in the loss of both Dole and McCain that no matter what the liberal base is strongly motivated to support the dems....and that the Independents simply don't respond the way the "plan" calls for them to do so.

This means that as the fall election draws closer and closer and Mitt's team suddenly starts to see in the polling data that the numbers are not showing up that they thought would under the "plan"...that this will cause Mitt's team to dream up things to "do" to appeal to conservatives.

It will not work...

The conservatives dont want Mitt to suddenly change and "do" things to make us happy.

The simple truth is that the conservatives dont want Mitt at all.....
    I wrote this way back so long ago....yet its funny how true my words turned out to be.....

alanmolstad

The final conclusion of this election from my conservative-christian point of view is?

That it's likely going to be a mighty cold day in Hell before another Liberal/Mormon like Mitt Romney attempts to try to get conservatives of my Party to vote for him for President.