MacG---I suppose the evaluative question is are the works borne of faith (thief on the cross, whom I am sure was grateful) or of guilt (fig leaves, works to cover self, CYA, in Adam's case, literally).
While I find this kind of response typical of the faith alone--my question would be--why could a person not obey Jesus Christ out of gra***ude? Why does it have to be guilt? Why did these obey God:

Hebrews5:9--"And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;"

Is your message here that all who receive of God's grace through their obedience to Him, does so through shame?

In either case Paul tells us works do not save. For the unsaved they help to cover the sense of shame but do nothing to save.
While the LDS would agree that works, faith, belief, trust, etc. does not save one--the scriptures do show that obedience to Jesus Christ(faith in Christ) is the basis that God gives His grace unto life, Paul included:

Romans2:5-11--"But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God;

6Who will render to every man according to his deeds:

7To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:

8But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath,

9Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;

10But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile:

11For there is no respect of persons with God."

James is telling us that they are an evaluative tool which points to someone may be of faith (Judas had works) versus one who says they have faith but out of whom works of righteousness do not proceed.
You're right--and the difference between dead faith and living faith is the result.

That's a difference a little more intrinsic than the faith alone are willing to admit.