Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: My Take on Why Mormons Become Athiests

Billyray

Quote Originally Posted by BigJulie View Post
    How do you prove your case when you have scholars criticizing the Bible as historically accurate and you have no eye-witness of the creation--
    Is there a single person in the entire world who was an eye witness of the creation of the universe?

Quote Originally Posted by Billyray View Post
    I am more than happy to answer J. Let's start with the critic you are most familiar with and that is the Mormon church. Do you want to know why I don't believe your claims with respect to criticism of the Bible? let's talk about it OK?
    Actually, I am just as familiar with critics of the Bible as I am with the Mormon church---as all one has to do is read the news--it is all over there. So, what makes you believe one critic over another. Why is one scholar's view deemed right and another scholar's view deemed wrong to you if both are using scholarly approaches?
    I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon)--Luk 24:32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?

Billyray

So, what makes you believe one critic over another.
    Let's talk about it starting with the criticisms from the Mormon church.

The Mormon critics of the Bible claim that it is not translated correctly. What proof do you have to support this claim and I will tell you why I don't believe you criticism.

Let's talk about it starting with the criticisms from the Mormon church.

The Mormon critics of the Bible claim that it is not translated correctly. What proof do you have to support this claim and I will tell you why I don't believe you criticism.
    Billyray, this thread is about why mormons become athiests---not why Mormons become evangelicals. So, with that said, we are looking at why Mormons believe the critics of christianity in general--Mormon as well as Christian.

So, on that basis, I am asking you why you believe one critic over the other. If you base your faith on evidence, as you said, then why ignore the evidence provided by those who criticize the Bible?
    I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon)--Luk 24:32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?

Billyray

Billyray, this thread is about why mormons become athiests---not why Mormons become evangelicals.
    You are the one who brought up critics of the Bible and the Mormon church criticizes the Bible so let's start with that and then we can move on.

You are the one who brought up critics of the Bible and the Mormon church criticizes the Bible so let's start with that and then we can move on.
    I brought up the similiarities between Christians and Mormons as both of their "scriptures" are criticized by "scholars." I know you are trying to avoid this like the plaque, but the honest question is why would you believe one set of critics but not the other--as athiests obviously believe both set of critics. Since you say your faith is based on "evidence"---why stop as some of the "evidence" provided you and not another?

Billyray

I know you are trying to avoid this like the plaque, but the honest question is why would you believe one set of critics but not the other--
    I am not trying to avoid this topic at all, in fact I have tried over and over again to talk about it but you don't want to talk about. I will try again. Each critic brings his own criticism about the Bible. Mormons are critics of the Bible so lets start here. LDS criticism is that the Bible is not translated correctly. Give me your proof of this criticism and I will then tell you why I don't believe your criticism.

Billyray

Okay, so---what do you do when someone questions these eye-witness accounts based on the scholarly works of others.
    I think it is healthy to look at the critics and see their angle. Just because someone has criticism doesn't mean that they are right or that their criticism or argument holds water. They may have some good points or they may not any good points. Bottom line is that each person needs to look at both sides of the argument, weigh the facts, and then make a decision. Lets look at the criticism that the Mormons level at the Bible. They claim that sections have been ripped out of the NT record and the the Bible has been translated incorrectly. This is a clear criticism against the Bible. But when you press the critics to back up their claim they waffle. Step up to the plate J, you critic of the Bible and give me your argument.

[QUOTE]
    I think it is healthy to look at the critics and see their angle. Just because someone has criticism doesn't mean that they are right or that their criticism or argument holds water. They may have some good points or they may not any good points. Bottom line is that each person needs to look at both sides of the argument, weigh the facts, and then make a decision.
    So, to you, scholars who show "proof" that the Bible is not historically accurate are not as scholarly as those who say that the Book of Mormon is not historically accurate. Is that your take?

Why do you think then, that Mormons who become athiest do not see this as you do? Why do they believe both sets of critics?

Billyray

So, to you, scholars who show "proof" that the Bible is not historically accurate are not as scholarly as those who say that the Book of Mormon is not historically accurate. Is that your take?
    Lets look at the criticism starting with Mormon criticism. You claim that the bible is not translated correctly. What proof do you have for this?

Billyray

For the Book of Mormon there is no evidence to try and disprove.

alanmolstad

Quote Originally Posted by Sir View Post
    Something that we keep seeing on boards like this one from critics of Mormonism is the idea that Mormonism is not true or false based on anything other than Mormonism.

The critics use this as an excuse to refuse having an actual discussion or dialogue about faith or Jesus Christ.

So whenever a critic is asked to engage in an actual discussion, meaning they also answer questions about THEIR positions and beliefs, they hide behind this self-made cloak to avoid sharing their beliefs of what they believe to be true.
    I have no idea what this comment is saying to us...?

I went over it a few times, but I think I need a bit of help understanding the point of the statement before i could think about its implications....

The Pheonix

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    Yes, indeed. This is one of my pet peeves about "some" of the critics of Mormonism (not all, but "many"). And, I think, often, it is done out of ignorance, but exactly as you said, Sir, (and also said by "I think"?? Gordon B. Hinckley)...you don't tear down a man's house, before you have built him a new one. That just doesn't make good sense. And, those who advocate tearing down a man's religion, before they show him "a new one" (we would ***ume a BETTER ONE), is just asking to leave that person out in the cold, with no where to go. I think that is one of the reasons we find so many LDS turning to atheism. They haven't been shown anything that is better...sometimes, it appears that, what is out there, is much worse (judging by the behavior of some of the believers). Sad, but true. That's why behavior on boards like this is so important, if you are TRULY and sincerely interested in leading people to Christ.
    They, the anti-Mormons want us out of Mormonism and do not care, even if we become atheists. Most have an axe to grind against the Church and it's members.