Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: My Take on Why Mormons Become Athiests

Sir

Default My Take on Why Mormons Become Athiests

Something that we keep seeing on boards like this one from critics of Mormonism is the idea that Mormonism is not true or false based on anything other than Mormonism. The critics use this as an excuse to refuse having an actualy discussion or dialogue about faith or Jesus Christ. So whenever a critic is asked to engage in an actual discussion, meaning they also answer questions about THEIR positions and beliefs, they hide behind this self-made cloak to avoid sharing their beliefs of what they believe to be true.

The critics seem to think that, since Mormonism is either true or not regardless of the critcs' faith, that they are not obligated to share their faith. But if the critics' faith is true (which obviously they believe it is), then by nit sharing it and presenting something better for the LDS to accept and leave Mormonism, they are not really doing any Christian service or witnessing for Jesus Christ. For them, the end is to get someone out of Mormonism but not to get them to follow Jesus like they do. Now I realize the critics' response will be that in order for them to find the "real Jesus" the Mormon needs to have their current paradigm transformed and so they have to tear down that paradigm. But that is simply a rouse to avoid actually sharing with the LDS why THEIR beliefs are the correct way.

The most prolific critics that post here have actually professed that they are not here to discuss whether Mormonism is true or not, but rather to ask questions of Mormons and then sit high on their loft and scoffing at the Mormon's answers and claiming that whatever answer is given is a sign of the mental deficiency that is in the minds of LDS people. So much for bringing people closer to Jesus!!

Then you have the other MO of the critics that say, "I'm not here to discuss MY faith. Your faith-claims are not determined by mine." But they don't seem to realize that if their own faith is not sufficient to share and hopefully (in their eyes) replace the LDS faith, then what good is it to tear down the LDS faith without replacing it with what they believe is better, superior, and true?

Billyray

Quote Originally Posted by Sir View Post
    Something that we keep seeing on boards like this one from critics of Mormonism is the idea that Mormonism is not true or false based on anything other than Mormonism.
    Is Mormonism true or false based on what I believe OR is it true or false independent of what I believe?

(BTW I find it odd that you of all people would make this complaint since you rarely try to defend what you believe)

Sir

Quote Originally Posted by Billyray View Post
    Is Mormonism true or false based on what I believe OR is it true or false independent of what I believe?
    Your need to only respond with your own questions, and the question you are posing, is exactly the point I was making.

Thank you.

And for the record, it is true in spite of your own beliefs. The point being that since you deny that Mormonism is true, your only MO is to tear it down while refusing to actually engage the Mormon in a dialogue of the beliefs you believe are true. Actually, kind of a selfish thing, don't you think? To believe you have the truth and to refuse to share it with others in lieu of simply telling others why you think they are wrong? Humph...

Billyray

Here is a post by Theo 1689 from another board that deals with this subject so I am reprinting it here because it is relevant to your OP

Theo 1689

There's something called a "red herring" fallacy. It's when someone wishes to dodge a topic by throwing out something completely unrelated, hoping people will be more interested in following that thought than in actually engaging the actual topic, in just the same way that an escaped fugitive might throw out a "red herring" to try to confuse the tracking dogs, and getting them off the scent. "Calvinism" is just one of many "red herrings" Mormons throw around to try to avoid actually defending their own beliefs.

And that's the point in that other thread.

Mormonism gets challenged, and Mormons throw out "But Calvinism!", as if that solves anything. But there are those such as Martureo, who don't believe in Calvinism, and so your red herring demonstrates nothing, and the challenge to Mormonism remains undefended.

And then Mormonism gets challenged again, and Mormons throw out, "But the Trinity!", as if that solves anything. But there are those such as atheists, Muslims, and Jehovah's Witnesses, who reject the Trinity but still know that Mormonism is wrong, and so your red herring demonstrates nothing, and the challenge to Mormonism remains undefended.

--------------------------------------

That's why we constantly bring up two constant truisms:

1) Mormons have no defense of Mormonism against atheism, since they need another religion to "counterattack", as a red herring;

2) Attacking another religion doesn't make Mormonism true.

Billyray

Your need to only respond with your own questions, and the question you are posing, is exactly the point I was making.
    How about giving me an honest answer to my question.

And for the record, it is true in spite of your own beliefs.
    Then you shouldn't find it hard to actually discuss your faith and attempt to defend it.

Sir

How about giving me an honest answer to my question.

Then you shouldn't find it hard to actually discuss your faith and attempt to defend it.
    I like how you demand an answer from me and then had to edit your post to actually show the answer which I had already given. Shows that you really only read what you want to read.

Also, I don't find defending my faith hard at all. The OP topic, that I understand you will purposely twist into your own agenda, is to give my take on why some LDS might become Athiests when they leave the church. because critics like yourself believe that their faith is not to be shared in a discussion of why Mormonism is wrong, and you [general critics] selfishly refuse to explain why your faith is true and better in lieu of only tearing down Mormonism.

The very claims that a Mormon will make to show why their believe Mormonism to be true are the same types of claims that you would use to show an Athiest why your beliefs are true. And the Athiest will give you the same response as you give the LDS, so it shouldn't be hard to see why one-way discussions don't go very far.

Billyray

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Patrol View Post
    It is a cl***ic example of those who are trying to justify their own decision to leave something even though their new home is not completely fulfilling.
    Does a person who leaves Mormonism for any reason make Mormonism true or false?

Sir

Here is the trick which you must have missed which is really just a diversion that happens all of the time with you guys.
    Going back to my example, when a critic claims the Book of Mormon is not from God because it had 4000+ changes, and then the Mormon asks the critic if that means (according to their logic) that the Bible is not from God since it has had 100,000+ changes, billyray wants to call that a "little trick" or a "red herring". The problem is billy just said a red herring is "when someone wishes to dodge a topic by throwing out something completely unrelated, hoping people will be more interested in following that thought than in actually engaging the actual topic" And yet the topic is not unrelated at all. In fact, it is the SAME topic, just being asked in reverse. But critics, realizing that their logic is one of scorched-earth, have no other choice but to cry "We're not here to talk about MY beliefs".

Billyray

Going back to my example, when a critic claims the Book of Mormon is not from God because it had 4000+ changes, and then the Mormon asks the critic if that means (according to their logic) that the Bible is not from God since it has had 100,000+ changes, billyray wants to call that a "little trick" or a "red herring".
    How does this help you with a Muslm or an atheist who doesn't believe the Bible?

Billyray

the Bible is not from God since it has had 100,000+ changes,
    BTW this statement shows your complete ignorance about the Bible just so you know.

neverending

Something that we keep seeing on boards like this one from critics of Mormonism is the idea that Mormonism is not true or false based on anything other than Mormonism. The critics use this as an excuse to refuse having an actualy discussion or dialogue about faith or Jesus Christ. So whenever a critic is asked to engage in an actual discussion, meaning they also answer questions about THEIR positions and beliefs, they hide behind this self-made cloak to avoid sharing their beliefs of what they believe to be true.

The critics seem to think that, since Mormonism is either true or not regardless of the critcs' faith, that they are not obligated to share their faith. But if the critics' faith is true (which obviously they believe it is), then by nit sharing it and presenting something better for the LDS to accept and leave Mormonism, they are not really doing any Christian service or witnessing for Jesus Christ. For them, the end is to get someone out of Mormonism but not to get them to follow Jesus like they do. Now I realize the critics' response will be that in order for them to find the "real Jesus" the Mormon needs to have their current paradigm transformed and so they have to tear down that paradigm. But that is simply a rouse to avoid actually sharing with the LDS why THEIR beliefs are the correct way.

The most prolific critics that post here have actually professed that they are not here to discuss whether Mormonism is true or not, but rather to ask questions of Mormons and then sit high on their loft and scoffing at the Mormon's answers and claiming that whatever answer is given is a sign of the mental deficiency that is in the minds of LDS people. So much for bringing people closer to Jesus!!

Then you have the other MO of the critics that say, "I'm not here to discuss MY faith. Your faith-claims are not determined by mine." But they don't seem to realize that if their own faith is not sufficient to share and hopefully (in their eyes) replace the LDS faith, then what good is it to tear down the LDS faith without replacing it with what they believe is better, superior, and true?

Sir,
    Unlike you, I did read your tirade and BTW the definition of a tirade is an angry, violent speech. HMMM.....I know for a fact that what I wrote was neither angry nor violent but because you refused to read it, you jumped to an inaccurate conclusion, ***uming things that were not true. And I find your thread to be disingenous because I have posted so many posts where I have shared my faith, so all I can say is you have failed to read them. James as well has shared our faith. How many times do we have to tell you how important it is to have Jesus Christ in your life? How many times have we told you Esphesians 2:8-9, " For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast." Please read these verses carefully. It tells us that being saved is by God's grace and it is His gift.....this grace is given to us freely, not something we have to earn with good works so that no one can boast. Do you not know of people who love to boast about all they do with church?

I didn't see anything in your thread mentioning why Mormons become atheists. I have the reason why that happens, because of being told all their lives that Mormonism is the only truth that the LDS Church is the ONLY TRUE CHURCH, then what other church could be true? Other faiths have been made fun of for years in your temple ceremonies so those poor souls feel they have no recourse. With that mindset, they turn from God and join the Godless which I find is so sad.

Sir

Quote Originally Posted by neverending View Post
    Sir,
    Unlike you, I did read your tirade and BTW the definition of a tirade is an angry, violent speech. HMMM
    Um, okay. I guess if you consider my OP to be angry and violent, who am I to say you cannot hold such an erroneous position? It does tell me a little about how you perceive things, though.

.....I know for a fact that what I wrote was neither angry nor violent but because you refused to read it, you jumped to an inaccurate conclusion, ***uming things that were not true.
    Um, okay. I never called your post a "tirade", so if that is your argument it again confirms to me how you [mis]perceive things.

And I find your thread to be disingenous because I have posted so many posts where I have shared my faith, so all I can say is you have failed to read them.
    That's fine. My thread is not devoted to you specifically, so if you felt the need to personalize it and then call it disingenuous because you don't fit the description, who am I to tell you you cannot feel that way?

I didn't see anything in your thread mentioning why Mormons become atheists.
    I'm sorry that you missed that. Maybe it was too subtle. Here it is in Cliff-notes version: when critics attack the LDS church but refuse to share what they believe they have as truth, if someone leaves the LDS faith because of the critic they do not have anything to replace their lost faith since the critic's only objective was to tear down.

I have the reason why that happens, because of being told all their lives that Mormonism is the only truth that the LDS Church is the ONLY TRUE CHURCH, then what other church could be true? Other faiths have been made fun of for years in your temple ceremonies so those poor souls feel they have no recourse. With that mindset, they turn from God and join the Godless which I find is so sad.
    Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Sir

BTW this statement shows your complete ignorance about the Bible just so you know.
    Oh....so you are of the opinion that the Bible has NOT had 100,000 of changes to it.

That's fine.

Facts are stubborn things, though.

But I know that you simply had the need to make ad hominem attacks, you know, that thing you rail on others about. No sweat.

Billyray

Oh....so you are of the opinion that the Bible has NOT had 100,000 of changes to it.
    mod edit There has not been 100,000 CHANGES in the Bible.

Libby

But they don't seem to realize that if their own faith is not sufficient to share and hopefully (in their eyes) replace the LDS faith, then what good is it to tear down the LDS faith without replacing it with what they believe is better, superior, and true?
    Yes, indeed. This is one of my pet peeves about "some" of the critics of Mormonism (not all, but "many"). And, I think, often, it is done out of ignorance, but exactly as you said, Sir, (and also said by "I think"?? Gordon B. Hinckley)...you don't tear down a man's house, before you have built him a new one. That just doesn't make good sense. And, those who advocate tearing down a man's religion, before they show him "a new one" (we would ***ume a BETTER ONE), is just asking to leave that person out in the cold, with no where to go. I think that is one of the reasons we find so many LDS turning to atheism. They haven't been shown anything that is better...sometimes, it appears that, what is out there, is much worse (judging by the behavior of some of the believers). Sad, but true. That's why behavior on boards like this is so important, if you are TRULY and sincerely interested in leading people to Christ.

Sir

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    Yes, indeed. This is one of my pet peeves about "some" of the critics of Mormonism (not all, but "many"). And, I think, often, it is done out of ignorance, but exactly as you said, Sir, (and also said by "I think"?? Gordon B. Hinckley)...you don't tear down a man's house, before you have built him a new one. That just doesn't make good sense. And, those who advocate tearing down a man's religion, before they show him "a new one" (we would ***ume a BETTER ONE), is just asking to leave that person out in the cold, with no where to go. I think that is one of the reasons we find so many LDS turning to atheism. They haven't been shown anything that is better...sometimes, it appears that, what is out there, is much worse (judging by the behavior of some of the believers). Sad, but true. That's why behavior on boards like this is so important, if you are TRULY and sincerely interested in leading people to Christ.
    You said it better than I did. Awesome. Thanks!

Billyray

We know you really can't help yourself to the ad homs, billyray. Just please don't ever criticize others for namecalling, as you so often do.
    When you say silly stuff like there have been 100,000 changes in the Bible what else can I say. BTW what you meant to say is that there are textual variations in the m****cripts not changes in the Bible.

Libby

When you say silly stuff like there have been 100,000 changes in the Bible what else can I say. BTW what you meant to say is that there are textual variations in the m****cripts not changes in the Bible.
    How many changes do you think have been made to the Bible, Billy? I have seen numbers, but I'd have to look it up again. Pretty sure they number in the thousands. A lot of changes have been made.

What always impresses me is that Christians use the same reasoning for those changes that LDS use, but when LDS do it, they are called "excuses".

Sir

Interesting.....so billyray's justification for namecalling is "when you say silly stuff what else can I say"

But all those times you preached against namecalling, mostly when I would call your views hypocritical, and when you even went in search of past posts where I made ad hominem attacks....

...it's just a curious thing that you would now justify your ad hominem of others, given all that. And somewhat ironic given the name I called you that sent you on your admonitions of others for namecalling.

Carry on.

Billyray

Interesting.....so billyray's justification for namecalling is "when you say silly stuff what else can I say"
    (Mod edit) is an accurate description of your comment.

Billyray

How many changes do you think have been made to the Bible, Billy? I have seen numbers, but I'd have to look it up again. Pretty sure they number in the thousands. A lot of changes have been made.
    What he meant to say is that are are 100,000 textual variants in the thousands of ancient m****cripts for the NT. The more m****cripts you have the more variants you will have. There are not 100,000 changes that have taken place in the Bible itself.

Billyray

Here is a reference that I gave you before that answers these questions

James White and Bart Ehrman debated last year about "Misquoting Jesus" here is a link to the PDF for the debate. (The link is specifically for the debate, not a recommendation for the website). It was a good debate and teases out the issues on both sides.
    http://www.brianauten.com/Apologetic...transcript.pdf

Thanks, Billyray. I am reading it, right now. It really is very interesting!

Libby

Here is a reference that I gave you before that answers these questions
    Yes, I remember reading that, but I still don't remember how many corrections have been made to the Bible. Do you have some kind of ballpark figure? I'm sure Dr. Ehrman and Dr. White disagreed on the figure?

Libby

What he meant to say is that are are 100,000 textual variants in the thousands of ancient m****cripts for the NT. The more m****cripts you have the more variants you will have. There are not 100,000 changes that have taken place in the Bible itself.
    What's the difference between a "change" and a "variant"? Do the variants have, basically, the same meaning? So, you would only count actual changes, right?

Billyray

What always impresses me is that Christians use the same reasoning for those changes that LDS use, but when LDS do it, they are called "excuses".
    Libby since you are here for truth this should be an easy one for you. The Bible has thousands of ancient m****cripts. The basis for variations is that each m****cript has variations just like any handwritten copy that you would make would have variations in spelling etc.

Now let's look at the Book of Mormon for comparison, how many ancient m****cripts have been found that pre date Joseph?