Quote Originally Posted by neverending View Post
MAN.....you just don't read very well. I was talking about my mother's idea that God couldn't put someone back together once they had been cremated. I had always been told that the LDS didn't think highly of people being cremated. So my ideas of god came from my mother and I found her reasoning a might silly.

From and Aug. 1991 Ensign article an ***ociate professor of Church History and Doctrine asked the question about cremation.....
"Where do Latter-day Saints fit into this picture? We reaffirm the perspective that the body is good and, as a creation of God, is to be respected. But as the Church has moved into nations other than the United States, there has been recognition that cultural practices differ. Generally, Latter-day Saints in the Western world have felt that nothing should be done which is destructive to the body. That should be left to nature. Church leaders have counseled that only in unusual circumstances or where required by law should cremation take place.
Ultimately, after consultation with the Lord and with priesthood leaders, the family must decide what to do. If the person has been endowed, some special instructions are available for the family from local priesthood leaders. Even if a body is cremated, a funeral service may be held if the ashes are buried or deposited in a mausoleum.
Where there is no overriding reason to cremate, burial is still the preferred method of handling our dead. In the end, however, we should remember that the resurrection will take place by the power of God, who created the heavens and the earth".

You will have to excuse my mother, bless her soul since she's been gone 10 years now and I think she was a might confused at times.
That at***ude has definitely changed. I served four years as Comp***ionate Service Leader, and I did a lot of funerals. Many LDS, today, are cremated. They do a "viewing" in the casket, for the funeral, and then they are cremated afterwards.

The idea that the body should not be cremated was also a Christian belief. My grandparents and even my dad, along with most of my older relatives, were very anti-cremation.and none of them are LDS.