Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Watch How Easy This Is

Billyray

Quote Originally Posted by BigJulie View Post
    What did Christ tell the rich young ruler he was "lacking" when the rich young ruler expressed that he followed God by following his words as written?
    So we should sell everything that we have and give it to the poor? Is that what the LDS church and you would recommend?

Billyray

Why wasn't following what this rich young man taught from his Bible (Torah) enough? The Bible is to direct us to Christ, not replace Him.
    Because he thought that he worked his way to heaven by obeying the commandments yet he did not obey the commandments.

Quote Originally Posted by Billyray View Post
    So we should sell everything that we have and give it to the poor? Is that what the LDS church and you would recommend?
    If I believe as you do that what I should do is ONLY based on the words written in the Bible, then yes...I should do this. But, since I believe that the Bible is a source that teaches us how to reach God, then what I should do is based on what God tells me to do not just through the words of the prophets as written, but also through personal revelation---something you can't do if you don't believe in personal revelation.

So, Billyray, if God directed YOU to sell all you have and give it to the poor, would you do it?
    I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon)--Luk 24:32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?

Because he thought that he worked his way to heaven by obeying the commandments yet he did not obey the commandments.
    Read it again Billyray. Listen to what the Savior says:

Mar 10:17 ¶ And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?

Mar 10:18 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? [there is] none good but one, [that is], God.

Mar 10:19 Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother.

Mar 10:20 And he answered and said unto him, Master, all these have I observed from my youth.

Mar 10:21 Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.

Who is the one who recites the commandments as a way to eternal life, is it Christ or the young man?

And when the young man replies that he does those things, does Christ say--that is not what matters, in fact it says that beholding him he "loved him" and then He ADDs to it saying that the young man needs to DO one more thing.

In other words, if you saw Christ and asked Him what you need to do for eternal ife and He said, you know the commandments (the words of the Bible) and you replied, I follow the teachings of the Bible, what do I lack (the question you asked me), Christ would ADD to that one more thing---following His words as directed to you Billyray!
    I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon)--Luk 24:32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?

Billyray

So, Billyray, if God directed YOU to sell all you have and give it to the poor, would you do it?
    He hasn't commanded me to do so. So what else would you recommend that I do so that I may obtain eternal life?

Billyray

And when the young man replies that he does those things. . .
    Do you believe the young man that he has kept ALL of the commandments?

He hasn't commanded me to do so. So what else would you recommend that I do so that I may obtain eternal life?
    So, Billyray, what has He commanded YOU to do? When you pray in humility, what does He tell YOU to do?

Billyray

So, Billyray, what has He commanded YOU to do? When you pray in humility, what does He tell YOU to do?
    To place my faith in him FOR salvation.

Do you believe the young man that he has kept ALL of the commandments?
    Christ did not argue with him regarding "Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother." So, I would say that the young man kept these commandments. It is interesting to not that Christ "beholding him, loved him"---and Christ teaches us that if we love Him we keep His commamdents.

To place my faith in him FOR salvation.
    And what exactly does your faith require of you? When you pray, what does God tell you, Billyray, that you need? What do you lack?

Billyray

Christ did not argue with him regarding "Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother." So, I would say that the young man kept these commandments. It is interesting to not that Christ "beholding him, loved him"---and Christ teaches us that if we love Him we keep His commamdents.
    Does the NT teach that we are capable of keeping all of the commandments?

Is there anything in that p***age that would suggest that this man did not really keep all of the commandments?

Does the NT teach that we are capable of keeping all of the commandments?

Is there anything in that p***age that would suggest that this man did not really keep all of the commandments?
    You are not reading the p***age Billyray, you are using your understanding that you cannot keep ALL of the commandments to believe that this young man did not keep the commandments that Christ listed to him. The young man stated that he did keep the commandments that Christ shared with him. And to this, Christ looked at him and "loved him."

Then Christ, in his love, told the young man that he lacked on thing and then told him to go DO something.

So, the question becomes Billyray, when you pray and ask God what you need, what does He tell you that you lack?

Billyray

You are not reading the p***age Billyray, you are using your understanding that you cannot keep ALL of the commandments to believe that this young man did not keep the commandments that Christ listed to him. The young man stated that he did keep the commandments that Christ shared with him. And to this, Christ looked at him and "loved him."
    How about you read the p***age again because obviously you are missing something.

Would someone who keeps ALL of the commandments be good?

Billyray

So, the question becomes Billyray, when you pray and ask God what you need, what does He tell you that you lack?
    Those who place their faith in Christ lack nothing because our sins are cleansed by Christ and his righteousness is imputed to me by faith. My works add nothing to the already finished work of Christ.

Those who place their faith in Christ lack nothing because our sins are cleansed by Christ and his righteousness is imputed to me by faith. My works add nothing to the already finished work of Christ.
    Strange then that Christ didn't say this to the young man when he asked what was necessary for eternal life. But, hey Billyray, I guess you know better than Christ on this matter.

Billyray

Strange then that Christ didn't say this to the young man when he asked what was necessary for eternal life. But, hey Billyray, I guess you know better than Christ on this matter.
    So is selling everything you own and giving it to the poor necessary for eternal life?

Billyray

BigJ would you consider that someone who KEPT ALL of the commandments to be good?

BigJ would you consider that someone who KEPT ALL of the commandments to be good?
    Yes!

Mat 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? [there is] none good but one, [that is], God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

That is why there is 'none good but one."

Billyray

So someone who kept ALL of the commandments is not good?

Billyray

Is thomas monson good?

So someone who kept ALL of the commandments is not good?
    The "someone" who did this is Christ and He is good.

Billyray

The "someone" who did this is Christ and He is good.
    So God/Christ is good and everyone else is bad.

Is thomas monson good?
    Billyray, this has already been answered by God. There is none good but God.

But do you remember that when the young man asked what was needed for eternal life, Christ gave him a list of commandments and when the young man told Christ he did all those from his youth, Christ beholding him loved him and then added one more thing.

So, when Christ answered this young man what was required for eternal life---are you trying to make a whole argument to me to prove that Christ was wrong and you are right? Is that your point with arguing about what is "good"?

So God/Christ is good and everyone else is bad.
    Are you trying to make the argument as to why you are right with regards to eternal life and why Christ was not right when He answered the rich young man in regards to what he needed to do to inherit eternal life by proving that not everyone can keep ALL of the commandments of God accept God? How does this negate what Christ told the young man?

Billyray

Billyray, this has already been answered by God. There is none good but God.
    So you agree that thomas monson is not good.