Thread: Decreasing Oxygen to the Brain!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Strangely, even the posters on this Yogananda site are chatting about decreasing oxygen intake:

http://www.yoganandaji.org/board/showthread.php?p=49990

See post 18 - breathing twice per half minute.

Libby

Quote Originally Posted by Apologette View Post
    Strangely, even the posters on this Yogananda site are chatting about decreasing oxygen intake:

http://www.yoganandaji.org/board/showthread.php?p=49990

See post 18 - breathing twice per half minute.
    If you practice the technique properly a slowing of the breath (and the heart) will occur naturally, but that does not equate to "oxygen deprivation", as you and your friends are describing it. Basically, you just really don't know what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    If you practice the technique properly a slowing of the breath (and the heart) will occur naturally, but that does not equate to "oxygen deprivation", as you and your friends are describing it. Basically, you just really don't know what you're talking about.
    Oh, so now suddenly I'm right about decreasing oxygen to the brain. Found out, weren't you Libby?

Ha!

Libby

No, actually, you are dead wrong, since the techniques actually oxygenate the body, not decrease it.
    Last edited by Libby; 03-28-2012 at 04:50 PM.

No, actually, you are dead wrong, since the techniques actually oxygenate the body, not decrease it.
    Says who? Yogananda? Come on, if you take two breaths in a 30 second period you are taking in less oxygen, I don't care what your guru has told you.

Libby

Says who? Yogananda? Come on, if you take two breaths in a 30 second period you are taking in less oxygen, I don't care what your guru has told you.
    I have never slowed my breathing to that extent. As I said, the slowing of breath and heart beat come naturally, while practicing these techniques. One does not take in less oxygen, but more. I know this from experience and practice, not because someone told me so.
    Last edited by Libby; 03-28-2012 at 10:01 PM.

alanmolstad

this topic is silly......

The whole idea is silly....

I find not the slightest problem with the time that any person spends in quiet prayer and meditation....

Dmarie

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post

I find not the slightest problem with the time that any person spends in quiet prayer and meditation....
    Just don't hold your breath alan.

Blessings my friend...Dmarie

Libby

I agree, it is silly.

Apologette is mistaking a natural slowing of breath and heart rate (which is VERY good for the body - it gives all of your organs a rest - similar to what happens when you sleep) to some kind of "oxygen deprivation". Would anyone claim that sleeping deprives your body of oxygen??

Not only does meditation rest the body, but the technique of kriya actually does greatly oxygenate the body, before the actual meditation, which is also very beneficial.

Research has show, without a doubt, that meditation is highly beneficial to the body and the brain. It can keep your brain from atrophying, due to aging, and helps maintain good brain function, in all areas of the brain (memory & cognitive)..
    Last edited by Libby; 03-29-2012 at 11:20 AM.

alanmolstad

Research has show, without a doubt, that meditation is highly beneficial......
    ...I would go so far as to say that time spent in prayer or private meditation is sometimes useful...sometimes helpful....sometimes a benefit.

too much of a good thing is always a bad thing....

and I dont think that a person should decide to meditate with a goal of being "better" in any way....because that will undercut the whole thing and it all becomes moot at that point.

meditate because you want to...everything else is just nice frosting on the cake....

Libby

The primary goal or purpose, of meditation, is to connect with God. Everything else, as you said, is frosting on the cake.

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post

I do, since (in SRF) it is claimed to be a method for "realizing" you are "god."
    Of course, people have every right to engage in meditation, or decreasing oxygen intake, but don't call it Christian, because it isn't.

Libby

I do, since (in SRF) it is claimed to be a method for "realizing" you are "god."
    Of course, people have every right to engage in meditation, or decreasing oxygen intake, but don't call it Christian, because it isn't.
    No, it is not a method to realize "you" (your personal ego) is god, but rather a method of realization and communication with God who resides within. You do believe in the indwelling Holy Spirit, yes? Well, it is very similar to that.

And, AGAIN, there is NO oxygen deprivation involved. That is a falsehood.

Further, it is a form of Christianity, as we do worship and revere Jesus Christ.. and I do consider myself a Christian (heterodox, not orthodox).

alanmolstad

if you are holding your breath, for any reason, you are also cutting off Ox to your head and therefore your mind.

And.....when you do cut off important stuff to your head you can expect this to make you feel lightheaded....even way better than normal.
    (consider how David Carradine died)